Linux-Hardware Digest #443, Volume #10            Tue, 8 Jun 99 20:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Decrypting Premiere under Linux ("Simon Spielmann")
  Re: Linux on closed platforms? (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Kernel Modules Prob ("Al Kooz")
  NIC problem: thicknet connection, sub-modem speeds (Drew Geller)
  Re: eMachines as linux boxes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ESS1878 Sound card (PCI PnP) in Compaq Armada 1590DT Laptop ("E. Eekhof")
  TELEDAT 400
  Re: Zoom 56K PCI Faxmodem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Video corruption at boot on Presario 1260 (/w NeoMagic 128XD video) (Tux)
  Re: CPUs: Pentium vs. AMD, etc. (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Is anybody out there using a Gateway2000 Vivitron?... ("Timothy S. Hare")
  Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's (Marc Mutz)
  Re: kppp (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann)
  Re: How do I compile drivers? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Available: Linux driver for IBM ThinkPad ACP modem (David Hinds)
  Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350 (Shadow God)
  Re: SMP and sig 11 -- more likely?  (please help!) (Johan Kullstam)
  Viper 770 ("The Krow")
  Re: bash-2.03? was: Re: TNT2 Drivers, Diamond Viper 770 (Csaba Raduly)
  Re: Viewsonic G790 Equivalent for XFree86 Setup ... (Andrew Comech)
  Re: [Q]Compile Problem with K6??? (Marc Mutz)
  How to install Terratec Soundcard (KS)

From: "Simon Spielmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Decrypting Premiere under Linux
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:23:27 +0200

I have a Miro DC10 wich seems to be unsupported under linux. Isn't it
possible to record an avi file under windows for example and use a
decrypting software to decrypt?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux on closed platforms?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 21:11:53 GMT

Dave,
  Strictly a laymens take on this, BUT<G>.  Take the case of VMware it
runs on a linux os BUT is strictly proprietary.  Same with Wordperfect
and Star Office  although they are given to individuals for free and
run on Linux they are proprietary programs none of these examples give
source code., yet comply with GPL.  Part of the reason lies in the
fact that they are not written with GPL programs i.e. gcc and its
libs.  Write your code in c++ or whatever, such that it will run on
linux.  You own it and GPL is not a factor.  Now if you were to
rewrite and compile the linux kernel, well <G> thats a different dog.

So as you can see it is a matter of what product you use in the
DEVELOPEMENT, not the operating of your programs.

g'Luk

------------------------------

From: "Al Kooz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,ch.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Kernel Modules Prob
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:13:29 +0200

sorry to dissapoint you, I've tried about everything, and my AWE 32 still
locks up. I guess I still don't understand, why it gives me an error when
newly compiled one with the one included in the original dist. When I
overwrite the original one with the right one it doesn't give me an error,
but my system locks up (u know the story)...

Al

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Geller)
Subject: NIC problem: thicknet connection, sub-modem speeds
Date: 3 Jun 1999 09:57:55 GMT

        Ok, it's like this:

        I have a 486DX2/40MB running kernel 2.0.34 which also happens
to run ip-masq as a gateway for another linux box.  eth0 for the
gateway is a 3c507 (Etherlink 16), using the AUI connection.  There
should be no interrupt or ioport conflicts wrt this card, and the card
sees the network.  However, I have lately been noticing incredibly bad
xfer rates, as low as 3 kB/s.  When I look in /var/log/messages, I see:

May 24 02:03:18 badLANs kernel: eth0: Rx unit stopped, status 5220, restarting.
May 24 02:03:51 badLANs last message repeated 2 times
May 24 02:04:04 badLANs kernel: eth0: Command unit stopped, status a000,
restarting.
May 24 02:04:04 badLANs kernel: eth0: Rx unit stopped, status a000, restarting.
May 24 02:04:05 badLANs kernel: eth0: Rx unit stopped, status 5220, restarting.

This NIC was lame under \frac{os}{2} as well, so I tried replacing it
with a spare 3c503 (Etherlink II) which was lying around.  That card
gives better xfer rates (2e+2 kB/s), but only in bursts.  And the
system _slows to a crawl_, even though there's nothing but X and top
running: an even worse situation.  I can barely get the system's
attention until I unplug the thicknet cable.  Looking in
/var/log/messages again, I now get:

Jun  2 17:01:41 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 12554, status=0x73
nxpg=0x50.
Jun  2 17:01:41 badLANs kernel: eth0: next frame inconsistency, 0x50
Jun  2 17:04:48 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 17177, status=0x4
nxpg=0x77.
Jun  2 17:04:48 badLANs kernel: eth0: next frame inconsistency, 0x77
Jun  2 17:31:13 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 61810, status=0xfa
nxpg=0x10.
Jun  2 17:31:31 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 59649, status=0x0
nxpg=0x8.
Jun  2 17:46:37 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 0, status=0x0
nxpg=0x20.
Jun  2 17:47:41 badLANs kernel: eth0: bogus packet size: 11776, status=0x0
nxpg=0x62.

        Running tcpdump reveals no activity at the times of these
events.  So it seems unlikely that the (other) misconfigured systems
on the network are spewing packets at me.  I have also tried
connecting to the network through a different hub, with no change in results.

        So,
(i)  What can I learn from this stuff in the log?
(ii)  Do both of these boards basically suck?
(iii)  What misconfiguration could cause these intermittent hangs?

        I haven't seen any major complaints about these cards, so (ii)
seems unlikely to be the cause.  I'm at a loss what to look at next,
so any push in the right direction would be helpful.

        TIA,

Drew
__

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: eMachines as linux boxes
Date: 08 Jun 1999 12:07:48 -0400

"Cory Waggoner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Good luck with an eMachine as they are overpriced junk.  Unfortunatly we get
> alot of calls at Netcom as they bundle our software with the eMachine's, and
> most users think that our tech support line is eMachine's line.  Honestly if
> you are looking for a cheap system to set up a linux box, try building your
> own.  Its really very easy, and much more rewarding.  Being able to pick and
> choose your parts can allow you to build much more of a power system then
> what you get when you buy a stock system.

Is there a howto on building a system someehere, thx

--
Tom Evans

------------------------------

From: "E. Eekhof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS1878 Sound card (PCI PnP) in Compaq Armada 1590DT Laptop
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 23:17:04 +0200

Hi!

I'm trying to get my sound working on the laptop mentioned in the
subject without much luck.

I checked the docs in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound where I found
an short INSTALL file for the ESS1868. I've tried this for my ESS1878
but no luck here.
I've compiled my kernel with a variety of sound modules and tested
almost of all of them in lots of ways, but again: no luck.

I guess I'm doing something wrong here but I haven't got a clue :-(

Can anybody help?
TIA!

Eric

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TELEDAT 400
Date: 8 Jun 1999 16:20:56 GMT

Hi folks,

I've got to configure a TELEDAT 400 ISDN-card for use in my Linux box.
Does anybody know wether this card is fully supported? I can't find it
in my local compatibility-list...

Cheers,

Bolo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Zoom 56K PCI Faxmodem
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:31:23 GMT

I have been using that very modem with Red Hat
Linux 5.2 for some time with no problems. However
my system was hacked recently and I started over
with Red Hat 6.0 and am having problems. The
short answer is yes it "should" work.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Edward W. Nowak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I recently installed a Zoom 56k PCI internal
Faxmodem(Model 2925). I
> have a dual boot system with Win98 and Linux.
The modem works fine in
> Win98 but as yet I haven't figured out how to
configure it for Linux.
> Before I go any further, does anyone know if
this modem is a winmodem?
> If so what modem should I replace it with? i.e.
What 56k modems are

From: Tux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video corruption at boot on Presario 1260 (/w NeoMagic 128XD video)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 07:29:29 +1000

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Steve Snyder wrote:

> When I boot my Compaq Presario 1260 notebook (with NeoMagic 128XD video
> controller) I get a lot of video corruption.  It starts immediately as the
> boot starts and continues through the boot process.  By "corruption" I mean
> that random characters and colors appear on the screen.

Compaq Presarios seem to have some 'issues' with Linux.  I'm using RedHat
5.2 with kernel 2.2.1, and have had no end of problems with it (I'm using
a Presario 2276 desktop).  The video card was fixable after playing with
XF86Config enough, but I get a constant low buzzing noise whenever I use
an input device or access the HDD.

A lot of the problems, I believe, is due to work-in-progress on some of
the kernel sources.  In trying to fix my soundcard problem, I went through
the soundcard kernel sources, in one of which was reported 'a weird uart
bug causing IRQ storming', which matches my problem.  You might start
there in looking for a solution, or at least a cause, for yours.

Incidentally, I wouldn't bother trying to get tech support from Compaq, if
you've considered it.  They don't even know all the specs on their
systems, let alone how to fix the problems.

- "Tuxedo" Steve - ("I'm just weird, you're a criminal pervert.") -

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:50:27 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPUs: Pentium vs. AMD, etc.

Peter Czoschke wrote:

> I'm working on outfitting a new system and am trying to choose a
> mobo/cpu for it and I was wondering what suggestions people might
> have...  Does anyone have much experience with PII chips vs. AMD-2 chips
> (or other brands)?  Does one work better or worse with Linux
> (RH5.2/6.0)?  I have a whole pile of nice old cases (towers, mid-towers,
> etc.) but they all have AT power supplies.  I understand that the PII's
> usually come on ATX mobo's.  Has anyone dealt with these issues?
> Advice?
I would recommend AMD K6-2's (AMD K6-3's are still too expensive and I'm
a ABI*). Processor is mostly no issue when choosing for linux.

Marc

====================
*Anything But Intel

------------------------------

From: "Timothy S. Hare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is anybody out there using a Gateway2000 Vivitron?...
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:02:26 -0400

"John D. Marinuzzi" wrote:

> I have tried numerous settings with less than favorable results.  Is there
> anybody using this monitor sucessfully that could tell me what settings they
> are using?
>
> Thank You,
>
> John D. Marinuzzi

Hello,
I am using a Gateway Vivitron 1776 montor.  I usually have it at 1024x768 res
at 75 refresh.  While Gateway syas that reresh at 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768
should br 75, I find that 72 works best at 640x480 and 800x600.  I hope this
helps.

Best Regards,
Timothy

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:54:32 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's

Hien Nguyen wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have two Linux pc's linked by 10/100BT ethernet and I am looking for a
> program that can connect the serial ports of the two pc's together. In other
> words, data input to one serial port would appear at the output of the
> serial port of the Linux pc at the other end and vice versa. Any info is
> very much appreciated.

Use perl to write a script that establishes a TCP/IP connection and put
everything it gets from one serial port into the socket and another
script which does the same, but *accepts* TCP/IP connections.

The perlfaq{1-9} manpages have example code.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kppp
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:20:34 +0200

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:19:51 +0800, Pian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hi all....

>i still can't logging to internet using kppp dialer in mandrake 6.0...it
>works perfectly in redhat before i switch to mandrake 6.0 .....anybody here
>facing the same problem ?...i'm using Merz 33.6 External Voice Modem...

>this is the error message :
[...]

>i've tried changing the ttys1 to cua1 but the same error message
>appeared....

Unfortunately you do NOT say which version of kppp you use. I know for certain
that the kppp version from KDE1.1 does'nt work with pppd 2.3.7.
Either upgrade your KDE to 1.1.1 (recommended) or downgrade pppd to 2.3.5.

BTW: next time ask a KDE specific question in a KDE group.

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ# 3585990        # Not only
Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:56:43 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I compile drivers?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Don't post binaries.
>
> They are TOTALLY useless, pointless piles of fetid dingos kydneys, and every
> sane person loaths them.

Right. Also stop posting HTML messages.

Marc (on a 28.8k*BIT/s* modem line)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: Available: Linux driver for IBM ThinkPad ACP modem
Date: 8 Jun 1999 22:37:47 GMT

Adam Leinss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:55:50 -0400, Thomas Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:
:
: [snip]
:
: >For the moment, please just send me email saying that you
: >are interested in getting such a driver.  Later I will write back
: >to you asking you to send a longer e-mail to such-and-such
: >an address, explaining why it would be useful to you.
:
: Did someone say spam?  Why would an employer grant the employee the
: power to write a driver to linux?  If the employee knows how to do it,
: why does he need permission from his employer?

It should be fairly obvious that if the employer in question were IBM,
that IBM's permission would be required.  And it seems fairly unlikely
that anyone outside of IBM would be in a position to write such a
driver.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shadow God)
Subject: Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:45:00 -0500

In article <7jikab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> In article <7jh1e3$ttg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> >Any suggestions on a decent mobo for my K6-2? I'm getting a 350 and a
> >450 to build 2 systems.
>
> The 350 works fine on Soyo 5EHM with 100FSB and 1Meg of L2-Cache. CT-Magazine
> has tested the K6-2 400 as well.
>
> Bye
> Eric

 Epox (www.epox.com) makes some very sweet boards for AMD chips. and from
what i've read one of their boards is now the #1 Super 7 Board of choice
for over clocking. i'm running a k6-II 300MHz on the Epox ep-58MVP3C-m
board, and it will support up to a 500MHz k6-III.

--
-- ShadowGod -of- Hacksess -
www: members.tripod.com/hacksess

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP and sig 11 -- more likely?  (please help!)
Date: 08 Jun 1999 13:00:41 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Mark) writes:

> Recently, I added a second CPU to my linux PC.  Now I've got 2 166 MHz
> MMX Pentiums.  I'm running kernel version 2.0.34.

do the stepping numbers of the two cpus agree?  the word out on the
street is that you should get all the cpus of a smp box in a batch.

> If I'm not using the system much, it'll go days and days and days without
> any problems.  But if I'm using it heavily, about once every 3-4 hours
> the X server will cut out on signal 11.  Running an mp3 player constantly
> increases the likelihood that this will happen.
>
> From what I remember, this indicates a memory fault.

nod.

> My question is, will upgrading the kernel to 2.2 help out?

probably not.  i do not think it's a software probelm.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: "The Krow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper 770
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:13:25 -0300

has anyone had any problems getting the viper 770 to work properly in Linux?
I can't seem to get it to emulate beyond 8bit @ 320x400......  any ideas?

------------------------------

From: Csaba Raduly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: bash-2.03? was: Re: TNT2 Drivers, Diamond Viper 770
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:44:18 +0100

ren wrote:

> Frank v Waveren wrote:
>
> > If you add . to your path, you won't have to type the leading ./ . But it's
> > obviously a security risk, so I wouldn't advise it.
>
> I agree Frank.

Would it be OK (less dangerous) to have . as the LAST member of the path
?
Csaba

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Viewsonic G790 Equivalent for XFree86 Setup ...
Date: 8 Jun 1999 13:44:39 -0500

On 8 Jun 1999 01:10:58 GMT, Flash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hey,
>
>Just got a nice 19" Viewsonic G790 Monitor.  I need to upgrade the video card
>to take full advantage of the higher-res modes, but for the time being, I am
>running in 1024x768 on the S3 server, 16bpp.
>
>My question is, since the monitor is not listed in the XFree86Setup, is there
>a monitor I could choose which would match the settings of my own monitor
>to very closely.

Hi, the only thing xserver cares about is the horizontal synchronization
and the vertical refresh rate of your monitor. Just feed it the precise
values from the manual and you'll be fine.

Best,
a.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 19:01:42 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q]Compile Problem with K6???

Cho, Hyon-Hyok wrote:

> Hi, I want to get a K6-2-400Mhz chip.
> But I don't know about K6 , please help me...
> 1. Is there any problem when compile a program with C compiler?
No.
> 2. Is there any problem when install rdbms? like oracle, informix......
No.

Both 'no's' only valid if your mainboard supports the chips (i.e.
voltage regulators are powerful enough, your BIOS knows the chip...)

Marc

From: KS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install Terratec Soundcard
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 19:48:50 +0200

Hi users

my problem is : How to install a Terratec 128 PCI Soundcard

I will be happy if anyone can help me

Bye  Kai