Linux-Hardware Digest #443, Volume #14            Tue, 6 Mar 01 04:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: general protection faults and random reboots ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: System clock has lost time after CD burn ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  poll_wait and interruptible_sleep_on ("Ajit Sodhi")
  Re: CD player problem ("Rinaldi J. Montessi")
  Re: Video Capture Card/TV Tuner (Drew Roedersheimer)
  Re: Video Capture Card/TV Tuner (Tim)
  Re: HELP ME!: How can I enable ALSA MIDI synth sound? (for SB AWE64 &  ("J. H.
Brown")
  Re: ? Xircom RealPort combi card on ThinkPad 760 (jeff)
  Re: Modem problems (Nader)
  Re: What the heck is this processor? (Ian Pilcher)
  Suse 6.3, Where are the scsi bootdisk/kernels? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HELP ME!: How can I enable ALSA MIDI synth sound? (for SB AWE64 & GUS
soundcards) ("Pavan")
  Re: sound only with xmms!? ("Jim Zubb")
  Re: What the heck is this processor? (Eric P. McCoy)
  Re: Should I abandon SCSI? (Thomas Tonino)
  Re: Cheap PCI sound card supported by Linux and OS/2? (Thomas Tonino)
  Re: NEED Nvidia Geforce2 Chip Manual & Driver (Thomas Tonino)
  Re: Suse 6.3, Where are the scsi bootdisk/kernels? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working (Clemens Ager)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: general protection faults and random reboots
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:22:38 GMT

Howard Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:   Recently, I have started having general protection faults and random
: reboots while I play real video movies.  I am running RH 6.2 with
: kernel 2.2.17-14 and all updates applied.  When I run realplay, I
: often get messages like the following when I typed dmesg:
[snip]

CPU getting too hot.
Clean your fans.
Make sure there is a thin layer of heat compound between the cpu and
the heat-sink.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: System clock has lost time after CD burn
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:25:37 GMT

Chris Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]

: Has anybody else seen this?

Yes.
I regulary use rdate to get the correct time back from another
machine after burning a cd.

Regards,
Friedhelm

From: "Ajit Sodhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.embedded,linux.redhat.devel,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: poll_wait and interruptible_sleep_on
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:11:36 GMT

Hi All,

Can anyone provide me the difference between these two calls (poll_wait and
interruptible_sleep_on) . I'm confused between the usage of two. Also, it
would be much better if you can let me know how shall I implement the poll
function in a driver.

Does the poll_wait puts the process in the sleep mode?

I don't have to poll for read or write methods. All I need is to let the
user process know if the interrupt status has been changed. So if he calls
the poll system call. I want to wait in this call (in my driver) until the
interrupt status has been changed. The change of status will happen in the
interrupt handler. So is this a valid assumption that

1. If I call the poll_wait function in my poll routine, user process will
remain in the sleep mode, until Interrupt handler changes the status and
call the wake_up_interruptible.

2. And this is the right way to implement

3. In this case there is no usage on sleep_on_interruptible ( So when do we
use it?)

Thanks

Ajit
Ajit

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD player problem
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:19:33 -0500

Mike McCann wrote:

> Alan Claunch wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had this problem? My CD drive mounts and reads fine, xmms plays
> > MP3s fine,however-when playing an audio CD with kscd I get sound only from
> > the right speaker. I've tried graphical fixes with the mixer (not in any of
> > the *rc or conf files) but no luck. The system works fine under Win98.
> >
> > SuSE 7.1 kernel 2.2.18  hdb=Matshita DVD=cdrom
> >                         hdc=Ricoh 7040A R/RW=cdrom1
> >                         Soundblaster Live value
> >                         Altec Lansing speakers
> >
> >                                         Thanks
> >                                         Alan
>
> Hi
>
> My experience is that the audio on mine doesn't work at all.  My
> configuration is similar except I'm using a Guillemot maxi-sound
> Fortissimo.  I also have a Radeon all-in-wonder which I don't know if it
> is somehow getting in the way.
>
> That aside, I don't understand how this new driver works that YAST2 sets
> up.  Does it require that analog cable between the audio card and the
> cd-rom drive be connected.  I know that win98 works without the analog
> cable connected.  Also, I configured the sound card after the
> installation, is there further configuration needed for the sound card.

Perhaps on your Win98 install, but not the one I use at work.

> Maybe what you learn will help me too.
>
> Oh, yes the CD PLAYER in KDE can detect and run the CD Rom player, just
> no sound Oh yes, I checked cdrom ownership, if I read it correctly 755
> owner root.
>
> Mike McCann

I assume you don't have the analog cable connected.  What happens when
you do?

--
Rinaldi]$
"First, God created idiots.  That was just for practice.  Then He

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: Video Capture Card/TV Tuner
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 04:43:44 GMT

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:20:47 GMT, Daniel J. Peng wrote:
>On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:57:50 GMT, Drew Roedersheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:57:05 -0500, Tim wrote:
>>>FYI, I am running a Pinnacle PCTV capture card with a Sony analog
>>>camcorder into a PentiumII 200MMX. You may want a bit more "horsepower"
>>>than 300 MHz. for full-motion video.
>>
>>I believe my card is based on the Brooktree chipset too.  I use a Hauppauge
>>WinTV go card - works flawlessly - and doesn't chew up many CPU cycles
>>either....
>
>What kind of captures can you get with these cards?  Can you capture
>full-frame uncompressed 320x240 24bpp 30 fps?  640x480 24bpp 30 fps? What
>speed computer do you have?  Is there a performance difference between
>Windows and Linux?

I haven't tried capturing at all - just watching - sorry.  I have a Pentium
II 450.  And I've never tried using it in Windows, but I doubt there would
be a performance difference because I *never* experience frame dropping,
noise, machine slowdown, etc...

best of luck
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:48:20 -0500

Hi Daniel,

"Daniel J. Peng" wrote:

> What kind of captures can you get with these cards?  Can you capture
> full-frame uncompressed 320x240 24bpp 30 fps?  640x480 24bpp 30 fps? What
> speed computer do you have?  Is there a performance difference between
> Windows and Linux?

Your processor speed, RAM and hard drive speed are the biggest factors
in successful video capture. As I wrote yesterday, my system is a
200MMX; I have 64MB of RAM and a two-year-old Maxtor 13GB IDE hard disk.
I [can] capture at 320x288 and 24bpp, but my poor old 200MMX processor
drops a lot of frames at 30fps. Capturing full-motion video requires a
fast processor and a fast disk.

The software I use is  xawtv, available at:

http://www.strusel007.de/linux/xawtv/

There are several other video capture suites available, but I was not
impressed with any but xawtv.

Sorry, I cannot compare performance between Linux and Win, I don't use
MS software.

Good Luck!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:57:38 -0600
From: "J. H. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP ME!: How can I enable ALSA MIDI synth sound? (for SB AWE64 &

I don't know about ALSA or the Gravis, but it should be no problem
getting the AWE64 to work.  You need to double check your interrupts and
dma settings.  Login as root and run sndconfig and reboot.  If you can
use the KDE or gnome midi players, then you might try installing ALSA.

------------------------------

From: jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ? Xircom RealPort combi card on ThinkPad 760
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:23:08 -0600

On the glorious day of Sun, 04 Mar 2001 14:55:55 +0100, Thomas
Papendieck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> felt the need to
utter

>does anyone have experiances with Xircom RealPort combi card? (REM56G100)
>
>what's needed to make it working on a Laptop (TP760el)?

nothing special is needed. the module xirc2ps_cs.o works with this
card (or else, it may be compiled into your kernel)

I dont think there are any laptop specific things to look out for.
Having problems? What have you tried? I can try to help...

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem problems
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:26:55 -0800

What kind of modem is it?  What kernel version are you using?

------------------------------

From: Ian Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What the heck is this processor?
Date: 06 Mar 2001 05:25:36 GMT

Eric P. McCoy wrote:

> According to Intel's Spec. Update, if I'm reading it right (which I may
> not be), a stepping of 2 means a 450 or 500MHz CPU on a 100MHz FSB.
>
> The best way to find out is to look at the top of the CPU.  It should
> have a line which looks like "450/512/100/2.0V".  That gives the CPU
> speed, cache size, bus speed, and voltage.  The only one that matters
> is the bus speed (the rest will be set up automatically, unless your
> motherboard lets you do stupid, dangerous things).
>
> Also on there should be an S-Spec, which will look like "SL3CC."  You
> can go to Intel's Developer site, get the Specification Update, and
> look in the table (which starts on page 18) for your processor.

There's nothing resembling either of these.  Instead there's the
following:

    Intel Confidential QA80ES
    99030208-0399 MALAY
    imc '98 80525PZ533512          <--- (the 'm' and 'c' have little
                                        circles around them)

There's also a sticker with a barcode and the number '116882'.

The processor frequency identification utility from Intel's web site
claims that this is not a production processor, but 80525PZ533512 is
Intel's product number for a PIII 533/133.  I have to conclude that this
is some sort of pre-production chip that was released for OEM testing.
Lord only knows where this guy got it.

Kinda cool (like having a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Championship T-shirt
or something)!

Ian Pilcher                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Suse 6.3, Where are the scsi bootdisk/kernels?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 04:48:02 GMT

  I have Suse 6.3, 6-cd set w/ manual. According to the box,
it should support scsi, in the manual it names the directory
where you should be able to find scsi bootdisks/kernels, but
there are no scsi images there.
  I need to find the right kernel so I can use rawrite to make
a floppy. My pc doesn't support booting from cd.
  There are also no scsi images at their ftp site, and the docs
are missing the traditional (scsi-howto).
  What's up? Where can I find the a scsi kernel that will work
with Suse 6.3? If this can't be, then why do they say it?

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.sound,linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.music.midi
Subject: Re: HELP ME!: How can I enable ALSA MIDI synth sound? (for SB AWE64 & GUS
soundcards)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:00:30 +0530

try running

# modinfo -p snd-card-sbawe

This gives the parameters the module takes. I could enable the
synth device passing parameters to the snd-card-ymfpci. But still
no midi is playing.

-Pavan

------------------------------

From: "Jim Zubb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound only with xmms!?
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:35:17 -0800

In article <98055p$87e$06$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roland Zumkeller"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I've got some trouble setting up sound. I compiled a kernel (2.4.2)
> with support for my sound card. When I run xmms and play a song it
> works. But with any other application it doesn't. When I start one of
> the mixers it says "No device found." or something similiar. In the
> logfiles I sometimes see complaints about "/dev/dsp" missing. The device
> is in the file system, though. What am I doing wrong here?

Which output plugin are oyu using for xmms?

What soundcard are you using?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 06 Mar 2001 02:12:12 -0500

Ian Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Kinda cool (like having a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Championship T-shirt
> or something)!

I don't think I even need to say anything.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: Thomas Tonino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Should I abandon SCSI?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:00:06 +0100

jtnews wrote:

> Why would my old 3c be better than an Epson Perfection 1240U?
> The Epson Perfection 1240U is spec'ed at 1200x2400dpi 42 bit.
> That sounds a lot better than my HP ScanJet 3c.
> I'm hoping the colors will be better.

You are probably right here. But ISTR the 3c is a good scanner, while a
lot of the home market high resolution scanners definitely are not.

That said, look into Scarse (http://www.scarse.org/) for color
clalibration software. I think it can use color profiles available on
the net, so you may not have to purchase a target to start using it.

Still wonder why the 2940 wouldn't work on a modern system. That card
isn't really old. Maybe we can help if we know what motherboard you
have, whether the bios detects the card, what interrupts it assigns,
etc.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: Thomas Tonino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.multimedia
Subject: Re: Cheap PCI sound card supported by Linux and OS/2?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:03:12 +0100

Klaus Staedtler-Przyborski wrote:

> Other Cards than the SBLive are the Crystal 3.06 Driver based Cards:
> A-Open AW320 (very cheap and simple) and Terratec DMX X-Fire 1024
> (similar to SBLive)

I use the Terratec now with Alsa, but Quake3 sound does not work. Tried
to fix that by enabling mmap support for oss and re-installing, but
quake then segfaults and a few minutes after the cras the card starts
producing some sqeeky noises.

Is there a different driver that works for this card then?

Thomas

------------------------------

From: Thomas Tonino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEED Nvidia Geforce2 Chip Manual & Driver
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:07:21 +0100

"Kenneth Rørvik" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Panzer Lee) wrote in <97lmis$b17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I study programming device driver .
> >Nowadays being interested in graphic chip driver, I can't get
> >graphic chip manual & driver source code. ( Chip vendors don't provide
> >them to individuals)
> >I want geforce2 chip manual & driver, but any other chips manual &
> >driver is ok.
> >Please, let me know how to get them.
>
> The drivers from nVidia are proprietary, so you can't get the sources for
> them, unless you have some really good friends at nVidia... ;)
>
> You can always take a look at the opensourced drivers from the Xfree86
> source, available from xfree86.org. These do not support hardware
> accelerated openGL, though.

I thought there were some obfuscated ones from nVidia in XFree 3. But
then there is also utah-glx.sourceforge.net who support some matrox,
some ati, some old nvidia, SiS, and S3.

Enough choice, I would say.

Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:11:13 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse 6.3, Where are the scsi bootdisk/kernels?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   I have Suse 6.3, 6-cd set w/ manual. According to the box,
> it should support scsi, in the manual it names the directory
> where you should be able to find scsi bootdisks/kernels, but
> there are no scsi images there.
>   I need to find the right kernel so I can use rawrite to make
> a floppy. My pc doesn't support booting from cd.
>   There are also no scsi images at their ftp site, and the docs
> are missing the traditional (scsi-howto).
>   What's up? Where can I find the a scsi kernel that will work
> with Suse 6.3? If this can't be, then why do they say it?

Hello,

mount CD 1 and read:

/where_ever_you_mounted_it/disks/README

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:46:32 +0100
From: Clemens Ager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Ramin Sina wrote:

> Hi all,
> Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
> with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
> with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
> and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
> this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

I also got a FA311. There is a new driver at
http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/drivers.html (just enter fa311 ...)
that compiles fine (you probably should remove the fa311.o first, and
rename all the filenames to lowercase).
But I got a strange problem with it. It all works fine in text mode, but
as soon as I do a startx or init 3 it stops working till I reboot the
machine. btw. I'm using SuSE Linux.
I just wonder has anyone a FA311 that works under Linux?

Clemens