Linux-Hardware Digest #649, Volume #10            Fri, 2 Jul 99 15:13:47 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Mouse wheel? (Michael Wellman)
  Re: Lexmark 3200 and Linux (Michael Wellman)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (JLKirkham)
  Re: Problems with AWE64 and RH 6.0 ("Jason W (Borland)")
  Re: Logitech Cordless Desktop (Matthew Hunter)
  Creative Labs 3d Blaster Banshee and 320*240 Res
  3 GB > hard disk partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Seeking video card recommendation (Kenneth Kellum)
  Re: What is a good tape drive for Linux ("Carl R. Stevenson")
  Alps printer (Gordon Charrick)
  Re: Seeking video card recommendation (killbill)
  Re: 486? HELP!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: courier v.everything NON WIN MODEM (Mike Frisch)
  Re: Ziatech 6660 and Linux (Peter F Bradshaw)
  Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop? (Serban-Mihai Popescu)
  Re: @home schitzophrenia with RH (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Need Iomega Ditto 3200 (3.2G) Tape Drive info ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Brian Hartman)
  Re: PCMCIA Ethernet networking problem (David Hinds)
  Re: please reccommend a PCI sound card.... (Marty Bowers)

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse wheel?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:15:50 GMT

I believe it's already supported by X.  There's a page out there=20
somewhere on the web that shows you how to set up the mouse in X and=20
how to configure the apps to use it.

On 7/1/99, 2:06:46 PM, Bill Sherrard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding Mouse wheel?:

------------------------------

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark 3200 and Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:18:53 GMT

The 3200 (and 5700) are Winprinters.  However there is a driver for=20
the 5700 that works.  They say they're (not lexmark, rather the guys=20
who did the 5700) going to make a 3200 driver but they aren't working=20
on it yet.

On 7/1/99, 10:17:55 AM, Joker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding=20
Lexmark 3200 and Linux:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JLKirkham)
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: 02 Jul 1999 17:02:10 GMT

>I'd venture to say that the error messages you get in Windows are a lot less
cryptic than those that Linux spits out.

Well, I can't compare, as I haven't had an error message in Linux (yet) that I
didn't understand  ("no such file or directory" is pretty self-explanatory).
But with Win95/98 - fatal exception errors, BSOD, registry problem - explain
those to a newbie.  They don't sound any better than "mysteriously murdered" in
my book, and at least Linux told you what was murdered.

>Linux has a learning curve that just isn't worth it for most users

Perhaps that is true, but then most users would know that going in.  BTW, DOS
had a learning curve too, remember?  And even win95/98 has a learning curve for
the complete beginners (thus the installation manual explaining how to click a
mouse for people like my mom).  At least people who are easily frustrated with
Linux didn't have to drop a paycheck to buy it.

>the hardware conflicts because of Linux's present lack of compatibility make
matters worse.

I'll agree that I was disappointed to find out that my Rockwell HCF wasn't
going to work, I had no idea it was a winmodem (that's not Linux's fault, it
should have been in the modem docs).  But the scanner I bought - as I said, it
never occurred to me to check compatibility, so that's my fault.  But I can
still use it with my other stuff, and I got a really great deal - if either
were not true, at least I kept the box so I could return it.

>But you also shouldn't need a Masters to operate your computer. :)

Well, I don't have a Masters, never took even one computer class (not even in
high school), and I get by okay.  And I figure out who to ask if I get stuck.

>The problem is most people have neither the time nor the patience to wrestle
with their system

Most people don't have the patience for many things, a major American problem
in my books.  Our society is way too "instant gratification" oriented, if you
ask me (which you didn't, so I'll shut up).  But as far as time - well, people
make time for what they want/need/feel is important to them.  Or pay someone
else to do it.

>And when you put all that work into Linux, then what?  You've still got to
turn to Windows to do your work.

Well, hopefully we are contributing to the end of that monopoly.  At this point
I have to use what supports my software, and that's M$.  But one of the biggest
attractions about Linux is stability.  And given that I depend on my system for
my livelihood...

I think you will be seeing an exponential increase in hardware and software
support, driven mostly by people like you who have driver issues and me who
have software needs.

Jana
Wherever you go, there you are.

------------------------------

From: "Jason W (Borland)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with AWE64 and RH 6.0
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 07:59:37 -0700

What happens when you run sndconfig?

~jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Hunter)
Subject: Re: Logitech Cordless Desktop
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:30:36 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:40:16 -0400, in comp.os.linux.hardware,
Andrew Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am a super newbie...  Does anyone know if the Logitech Cordless Desktop
>(keyboard and 3button wheel mouse) will work under linux???  Specifically,
>Caldera OpenLinux 2.2??  Thanks!

I've used the product with Linux.  It works fine.

--
Matthew Hunter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (Linux)
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: Creative Labs 3d Blaster Banshee and 320*240 Res
Date: 2 Jul 1999 16:31:17 GMT

I just installed Linux-Mandrake 6.0. I had to pick the option that my card
was unlisted. Everything works o.k. but my screen is in 320*240
resolution. How can I get into a higher resolution. I am very new at Linux
but have much Windows and DOS experience. If someone could walk me through
I would appreciate it greatly.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3 GB > hard disk partitions
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:17:01 GMT

Hi all:
I recently get a 6GB UDMA hard disk and I set up it as primary on my
sencond channel (IDE). My problem is when I use fdisk to partition it
only make 3GB one. I try to manually gave it the s/h/ information on
expert fdisk mode. But when I write the inf the partition only get 3GB
Can anybody tell how to make a HUGE 6 GB hard disk on linux (slackware
2.0.35)
Thanks in advance

From: Kenneth Kellum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seeking video card recommendation
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 07:23:41 -0700

In a few weeks I'll be buying a new computer on which I want a dual boot
Windoz/Linux.  The machine I plan to purchase normally comes with an ATI
Rage Fury 32.  That video card is apparently not supported by XFree, so
I need to chose another video card.

Any recommendations?  This computer is also my kid's game machine.

--
You can't spell "anti-christ" without the "nt".

Kenneth R. Kellum
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mathcs.sjsu.edu/faculty/kellum

------------------------------

From: "Carl R. Stevenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is a good tape drive for Linux
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:00:46 -0400

Could someone please post the URL for the "Ftape home page"?

Thanks,
Carl

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gordon Charrick)
Subject: Alps printer
Date: 2 Jul 1999 14:33:13 GMT

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Alps microdry printers with
Linux? When I installed RH6 it doesn't list any Alps printers at all.
The output of these printers is great and there's no clogging problems
that inkjets have.

--
In posting this message to a newsgroup, I am NOT requesting advertising
email no matter what you scum sucking bastard spammers might think, so

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seeking video card recommendation
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:59:35 GMT

I just picked up an Graphics Blaster Nvidia Riva TNT 1 card from
CompUSA.  It has 16MB of ram, outstanding render quality, and a lot of
bang for the buck for only $99.  It worked perfectly with the most
recent versions of XFree86 (3.3 I think, it comes with Red Hat 6.0, but
not 5.2).  If you are running 5.2, it is easy to upgrade to the newer
XFree86.

Anyway, by no means the only card, and not the fastest, but a tremendous
bang for the buck, and works like a champ with Linux and windows.

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 486? HELP!!
Date: 02 Jul 1999 11:26:53 +0200

Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi, I'm the guy who misses his computer very much,, and in that
> > missingness that I had I went and got a 486DX2/66 off of a friend,
> > Which version of LINUX, Red Hat, Slackware, Caldera, Debian,, I don't
>
>    I don't think it's so much a matter of which flavor, but it _is_ a
> matter of what you will run on it.  X-Window will probably run provided
> you have a supported video card, but it will most likely be sluggish.
>    Here's my take on the distributions you mentioned, though:
>
>    Red Hat -- mainstream, pretty easy to install, everything the average
>               user could need and then some
>    Slackware -- for the hardcore Linux user, not too far from "rolling
>                 your own"

Another merit of slackware is the ability to get it on
1.44-disks. With redhat you couldn't do that.

>    Caldera -- a cinch to install, but the free version is a demo
>    Debian -- ideal for developers

Another good thing with debian is that you really have networking
support with just 9 1.44-disks (good for real slimmed servers for
example).

I don't think neither Slackware or Debian is any hard to install. I
have no personal experience with redhat, but I don't think it would be
much more difficult than redhat with little computer experience (of
course debian and slackware may be hard if you're used to windows and
having mr Gates decide what you want.)

/Lars

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: courier v.everything NON WIN MODEM
Date: 2 Jul 1999 14:52:02 GMT

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 01:14:05 -0500, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>really bothers me.  Yes I do not know a whole lot but I didn't assign the
>modem that IRQ, nor did my BIOS as far as I can tell, anyway this is the

If you didn't assign the modem to that IRQ, I assume PnP did.  You'll have
to use the isapnptools to configure the modem in Linux.  'setserial' is
only for modems that have hardwired IRQs.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter F Bradshaw)
Subject: Re: Ziatech 6660 and Linux
Date: 2 Jul 1999 14:54:41 GMT

In article <FP2f3.874$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> It isn't just an imitation of a AST four port is it ???
>
> (cheap multiport card bought from local tandy like shop)

Hi;

Thanks for the reply. I don't hink its an imitation of the AST. I can
definitely verify its not cheap!

I'll give that idea about moving away from ttyS4-7 when I get back in the
office.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw        | http://www.nautronix.com.au/,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nautronix Ltd.          | PGP public key at

------------------------------

From: Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:44:32 GMT

Philipp Maier wrote:

> "David J. Topper" wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I'd love to hear comments / get input from folks.  I've already
> > contacted the OSS folks about audio support, but have yet to hear.  I'm
> > of course concerned about support for various components like the 3com
> > combo 56k + 10/100 that comes with the Dell.  DVD?  PCMCIA?  Video Card?
>
> I have an Inspirion 3200 and had no problem getting SuSE Linux 6.1 to
> work. The soundcard is tricky, but the video card works just fine.

The Inspiron line of laptops is meant to be the bleeding edge product;
every new toy (DVD, PIII etc.) gets almost immediately included in the
Inspiron machine. Therefore, the chance to have unsupported hw is much
bigger than for the Latitude line.

Furthermore, you shouldn't assume that all are alike. Philipp says there
is no problem with his I3200 video card. However, the new I3500 makes
use of a dreaded Neomagic MagicMedia chipset; not only it's not
supported by the XBF_ servers for Neomagic (you have to get a patched X
server and loose all the acceleration) but it has also some unsupported
hw for the sound system. AFAIK, for the time being there is no way for
making the sound work.

Yes, Dell makes well engineered laptops. But if you want to run Linux on
them, you have either to pick exactly the model somebody else claims to
work or to post the hardware details about the laptop you want to
choose. Otherwise, you might be dissapointed.

Serban

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @home schitzophrenia with RH
Date: 02 Jul 1999 13:29:27 -0400

"i4cmyf8" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've been trying to get my @home cable modem service for quite some time now
> through 2 seperate redhat distributions. first with 5.2, now 6.0.  No DICE.
> I've read the literature at
> http://members.home.net/jasonbrossa/Linux/index.html and have currently
> installed dhcpcd 0.70-2.

for redhat 6.0 you need the newer dhcpcd that works with 2.[12].*
kernels.  dhcpcd-1.3.17.pl5 seems to be the latest version.  there's
one (although i think it's version .pl3) on your redhat disk.  use
that.

you'll need to hack /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown to use dhcpcd instead
of pump.  (pump is a loser because it cannot run a script when your ip
changes.)

> I have a 3com 509 (3c509) PCI network card
> installed and recognized.  RH 6.0 installed on a Pentium II 266, 256 meg
> RAM.  I got my voodoo banshee up and running, I even got my sound card to
> work finally, I just can't seem to get my cable modem access configured.
> There was some talk about a dhcpcd 1.3 somewhere, is that the trick?  I
> would SO appreciate any pointers as to what i'm doing wrong, or what i'm
> forgetting.  Thanks.

i think @home has some special auth type stuff you need to do.  i am
using mediaone and it works fine.

have you looked at the cablemodem mini-howto?
<URL:http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Cable-Modem.html>
section 3.2 deals with @home.

try dejanews for more info
<URL:http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml>
use results type deja classic to avoid terminal frustration.

--
johan kullstam

comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 99 10:34:47 -0400
Subject: Re: Need Iomega Ditto 3200 (3.2G) Tape Drive info

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/30/99 at 09:51 AM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Boritz) said:

>Stay away from the Travan format and floppy controller tape drives, since
>there are no OS/2 programs on the market that can reliably operate them.

>The problem you (and I) face (I've got the same problem) is that floppy
>controller tape drives (i.e. Travan, QIC, etc.) are relatively cheap, the
>tapes relatively expensive, there are very few (perhaps none) OS/2
>programs that can operate them, and there is likely to be no
>compatibility between other OS's or platforms.  A SCSII DAT drive is
>relatively expensive (even used, reconditioned, or from a discount place)
>but the tapes are relatively cheap, there are more than one OS/2 programs
>that can run them, and there is some compatibility between OS's and
>platforms.

Like most things it depends.  Low end QIC-80 devices such as the Iomega
worked reliably on both BA2 and Seagate BE.  BEOS2 was in fact twice as
fast as BA2 although still slow when working from a fast floppy
controller, and the 1 meg backup is too little these days.

An Aiwa SCSI was the best choice for me.  The drive was less than $100 new
in OEM box.  The TR4 tapes cost me $12 each at e-bay (new and sealed).
The Scsi card (Buslogic) was $40 at Computer Geek.  I now have very fast
6-8 Gig capacity at reasonable cost.  Beos2 would not run the drive
properly, but demos of Novaback and BA2 worked very well so I bought
Novaback at IB for $50 less 10 rebate.

Incidently the Iomega floppy controlled drive was subject to hardware
failure several times as it would unaccountably unspool the tapes.   But
Iomega replaced the drive each time.  Still... --
======
Monroe Chasson
MR2ICE reg#51 and OS2

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:35:29 -0400

JLKirkham wrote:

> If you'll pardon me jumping into the fray here with my $0.02... (and maybe
> ranting a bit)...
>
> I was 14 when Tandy sent out the TRS-80 and my dad picked one up (he still has
> it) and we all played with DOS... got fairly good at it - not programmers by
> any means, but we could find our a** from a hole in the ground, if you know
> what I mean.  Anyway, when Windows came along, we went right along with it.  As
> proficient as we were with DOS, windows was (is) a no-brainer, but it was fun
> (something new, something different).
>
> And then I heard about this thing called Linux, and I was intrigued.  Why?
> Because I LIKE to tweak.  And my husband likes to tinker.  Can we do that with
> Windows?  Yeah, right.

You're exactly right here.  For tweakers and tinkerers, Linux is definitely a
better OS.

> Anyway, I've found this entire thread to be fascinating, and just wanted to add
> a couple of tidbits here and there...
>
> I've had Win3.x, Win95 and Win98 lock up during install.  Of all the versions,
> Win3.x was the most stable.  I can't count how many times I've had to reinstall
> Win95 and Win98... Win95 was especially good at rewriting my registry files and
> then refusing to look at them.  Win95 didn't like me playing with their
> screensavers, either - choked every time.

I've had the same problem in 95 with the screensavers.  At one point, when the
screensaver kicked in, it would hang.

> When I started my Linux install, that "mounting" and "hda1" and partitioning
> gave me pause.  RTFM, you say, and I did - that didn't seem to ease the willies
> I had when SuSE said it wanted to mount my drive (I was thinking, now I KNOW
> this was written by a man!).
>
> And about those manuals... well, if you want to RTFM for a Win install, you're
> going to be sadly disappointed.  Documentation you say?  Well, it teaches you
> how to click a mouse... how to open a window and close a window... how to turn
> on a screensaver and wallpaper... tells you how great the internet is (and how
> seamless Win98 and IE are with it)... then they get to Advanced Issues like
> using Help, backing up your files, defragging your disk, finding your printer
> ("there it is, right beside the box") ad nauseum.  If you wanted answers, you
> wouldn't find them here.  And on the back page in big letters: For product
> support, contact the manufacturer of your computer system.  Yeah, well, that
> would be me.  Good thing I didn't have anything bleeding edge or painfully
> obsolete.

I agree with you here, to a point.  I was disgusted by the size of the Win95
manual when I got it, and disappointed with the "advanced" help.  But I'd venture
to say that the error messages you get in Windows are a lot less cryptic than
those that Linux spits out.

> Well, now I've got Linux running but not quite "there" yet - still working out
> a few issues, but it's FUN.  My husband the tinkerer (who knows next to nothing
> about software of any kind) is loving it.  I, the tweaker, am loving it.  So
> what if my sound card doesn't work?  Never mind that I just found out that all
> the work I've done to get the modem going has been in vain (Rockwell HCF).
> And, okay, I was sucked in by the big sale on scanners and finally broke down
> and bought one... yes, it's a parallel port (duh, I didn't even think about it)
> thank goodness I didn't sink a lot of money into it.  And we won't even talk
> about the confusion still residing in my brain about this file structure and
> the commands, etc., etc.

This is really my point.  Linux has a learning curve that just isn't worth it for
most users, and the hardware conflicts because of Linux's present lack of
compatibility make matters worse.  I like to tinker myself, so I can tolerate some
snags.  (I just as of yesterday got my printer to shoot out ascii text files.  I'm
working on WordPerfect files now.)

> The thing is, one day (hopefully not too long from now) I will be able to look
> at my kid and say:  See, I told you the patience would pay off.  And into the
> bargain she's gonna become a pretty decent computer mechanic, if nothing else.
> The stuff she's learned in two weeks with Dad tinkering with boxes and Mom
> tweaking Linux puts to shame the entire year she spent in "computer" class - at
> a private school, no less - where she learned how to turn the thing on, type,
> print, and turn it off.

Computer classes (other than at the college level) are mostly just silly.  But you
also shouldn't need a Masters to operate your computer. :)

> And even she noticed - although we have managed to crash KDE a couple of times,
> it's not as bad as when my son crashes Win98 with his Reader Rabbit (which
> seems to be a daily thing), and always much easier to restart X than to reboot
> Win98 (with fingers crossed and breath held because hey, Mom still has to have
> Win98 for work).

I've never used 98, so I can't speak to it directly, but I can't count how many
times I've hosed or nearly hosed Linux.  And with Linux it's arguably worse:  With
Linux, it's not necessarily apparent what's a repairable problem and what's a
re-install.  (For example, a few days ago, I wasn't able to boot into X at all.
It turned out something got mucked up with my X font server (whatever that is) but
you'd never know that from the message "gdm.pid has been murdered mysteriously".)
At least Linux programmers have a sense of humor.)

My point is (and I think you conceded this much) Linux is great for tinkering,
tweaking, and generally making yourself into a techie-kinda-person, if you have
the patience.  The problem is most people have neither the time nor the patience
to wrestle with their system (even if the knowledge is available to them in the
manual).  And when you put all that work into Linux, then what?  You've still got

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Ethernet networking problem
Date: 2 Jul 1999 15:31:58 GMT

Mike Carden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: The linux machine puts packets onto the network with no problem.
: I can see them with a sniffer.
: They are mainly arp packets of course until I manually add an entry via
: arp -s for another machine.
: When I do this and then a ping, I see the icmp traffic in both
: directions with the sniffer. The linux box sees no replys ( the led on
: the xircom flickers though as one would expect ).

Sounds like an interrupt conflict.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: Marty Bowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: please reccommend a PCI sound card....
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:44:45 -0500

The card I have was fully adaptable with RH 5.2, but you didn't say what
you had.  Anyway, I have a Turtle Beach Malibu, works pretty good, for
what I need it for.

--

Marty Bowers
(630) 252-7687