  Re: Help! ISP dial-up. (Sid Boyce)

From: "Suleyman Karabuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:36:29 -0400

George,

The model was a MIP with 50 binary, 37725 linear variables with 26310 linear
constraints. You may be right in that smaller models may run better on the
Celeron but nobody solves smaller models anyway.

> What size of LP model were you running on CPLEX?  Was it LP or MIP?  I'd
> expect the performance comparison of CPLEX to vary with the size of the
> model.  Small models of say 2K or 3K equations, where the working set is
> mainly in the 128KB L2 cache, should perform better on a Celeron, medium
> sized models (up to 10K or so equations??) should show an advantage to the
> PII but with very large models, which overflow the PII L2 cache, I'd
expect
> to see the comparison start to level out again.
>
> Rgds, George Macdonald
>
> "Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who,
me??

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: How much space for each partition?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:13:45 -0700

I have 3 hard drives, SCSI is divided into 3 partitions, / (root partition)
/home and swap.  I want to add 2 more hard drives, what directories should I
move over to the new hard drives.  I know /usr would be one, since that's
taking a bunch of room.  What partition should I put on the other hard
drive?  Any suggestions would be appreciated

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 02:39:35 GMT

On 5 Jul 1999 02:17:21 GMT, Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Wrong again.
>
>There is no board with duals that has ATA66.  Dual CPU mobos are Intel

Wrong again.  ABit BP6 supports dual Socket 370 Celerons and UDMA/66
support using the Intel BX chipset.

>Dream on.

Before making arrogant statements like this, check your facts.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New LINUX Hardware Vendor!!!
Date: 5 Jul 1999 03:33:18 GMT

Deltacomm New Server <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nice commercial!

>:-)

However nice, commercials belong in the *.announce groups -- not here.

-- Rod

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i (CD-RW)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:16:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Scott Prigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone had any experience with this HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i  ??  I am
> thinking about putting it in place of regular CD-Rom on new system..
> SuSE database indicates "cdwriter" works for 8110 CDRW model.

I am not positive about the 7570i, but I have not heard of any newer HP
IDE ReWriters not being supported.  You are likely fine, but check the
cdrecord home page (more on this later) to be sure.

> Does the kernel support basic CD-ROM functioning through IDE . . .

Sort of.  The IDE devices actually use scsi emulation (not as odd as it
sounds, ATAPI is actually SCSI commands being sent over an IDE bus).  It
is a reasonable simple setup, but it does involve a kernal rebuild.  You
then have what appears to be a SCSI cdrom device file for your IDE CD,
that works like any other CD-Rom device.

> then one needs software for writing disks?

Exactly.  You will probably use cdrecord (see www.freshmeat.net) for the
basic disk writing.  XCDRoast is another great package that puts a nice
gui on top of the cdrecord tool, although it had a few minor bugs last
time I looked at it.

I would also humbly suggest a tool I wrote, backburner (also on
freshmeat), for use creating backups of any and all of your native and
non-native disk partitions.

Good Luck, CDRW drives are a wonderfully flexible tool.

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux CD COPY
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:24:31 GMT

In article <etif3.1434$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I copy a Linux (retail) CD to a CDR - using Win98 or WinNT 4.0?
>
> Are there any special consideration or technique basically?

I suspect that if you look at the programs installed on your start menu,
you will find a CD-Copier program that makes a bit for bit copy of the
CD.  This is what I had to use to create a good copy a RedHat 6.0 CDRom,
for some reason the drag and drop through adaptec CD Creator did not
work completely.

> I use Adaptec Easy CD Creator Deluxe 3.01.

Don't go through the little CD icon in your system tray (the little
thing on the lower right hand corner of your win screen).  Look at the
start menu and see if you don't see a CD Copier program there.

> All comments and suggestions welcome.  Thanks!

Under Linux you can use XCDRoast to do the same thing.  It has a CD Copy
button that sets up everything for you.

Good Luck!

From: "Rich Churcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't get Internal Modem working
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:59:08 +1000

vignesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7llvjj$knc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have got a SupraExpress 56i Pro internal modem manufactured by Diamond
> Multimedia systems.

I'm also working on a similar problem with the exact same modem.  Will let
you know if I sort it out - please reciprocate :o)

Cheers,

Rich.
--
temporarily at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet another CDR / cdrecord question
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:08:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Whiplash!!!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My Redhat 6 system is configured with my boot drive on an Adaptec 2940
> SCSI card. My CDRW drive is an ATAPI device configured as the master
> drive on the first IDE channel. Can someone tell me how to load the
> ide-scsi module at boot up and have it handle the ATAPI device? At
this
> point cdrecord only sees the "real" scsi bus and not the ATAPI device.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Dana

Try

http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/CD-Writing/html/CD-Writing.html

For a good high level description.  This appears new (and more complete)
since I successfully configured my RedHat 5.2 system.

If that does not answer your question, go to www.freshmeat.net and look
up cdrecord.  On the authors home page, there is tons of information on
getting this tool (which is likely what you will use to write CD's)
working with just about everything.

<Shameless plug on>
Once you get this working, you might want to check out my package
(backburner, also at freshmeat) and back up all your native and non
native drive partitions.

http://w3.one.net/~bilshell/backburner/backburner.html
<Shamless plug off>

Good luck... it looks harder then it really is, and building a kernal is
kinda fun.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Date: 5 Jul 1999 01:15:44 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:20:08 +0000 Whiplash!!! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If I understand correctly, the device is an IDE device but CDRecord
>wants a SCSI one. the ide-scsi module is supposed to make the IDE device
>look like a SCSI one right? My problem (I think) is that I can't figure
>out how to properly use the ide-scsi module.

Run cdrecord -scanbus.  This will tell you the major and minor device
numbers of your CD-RW drive.

Use the device numbers directly, not any of the stuff in /dev, when
talking to cdrecord from then on.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: "Alex Spitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aopen fm56-p modem
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:42:55 -0700

Im having trouble getting my aopen fm56-p modem to work under redhat
6.0...am considering puchasing a new one but would like to get this one to
work.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Alex

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xconfigurator and TNT2
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:26:53 GMT

Hi:

Do not probe or let Xconfigurator to configure your setting.  I have a
Diamond Viper770 (which uses TNT2) and I had to download the driver from
the chip maker site instead.   The driver works perfectly if I skip all
probe or auto config.

Bono

------------------------------

From: "John E. Garrott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP w/ modem!
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:00:27 -0700

ZombieSeed wrote:

> I have a Boca 33.6 PnP modem. Linux (from what I can tell from doing a
> 'dmesg') recognizes my modem as "tty03 at 0x02e8 (IRQ=3) is a 16550A".
> Windows recognizes the modem at I/O 03f8 and IRQ 4.
>
> I downloaded isapnptools1.15a and did the following commands:
>
> cd /etc
> pnpdump > isapnp.conf
>
> I opened the isapnp.conf file, found the Boca Modem, and removed the comment
> (#) from the beginning of the lines that contained the I/O 0x02e8 and the
> IRQ right under it. I then removed the comment from the ACT Y thing. I saved
> the file then did "isapnp isapnp.conf". It displayed 2 boards I had.
>
> I ran Minicom and it still won't initialize my modem. I read some sites that
> had info on PnP modems, and one said to try "setserial /dev/ttySx auto_irq
> autoconfig". I did that... nothing.
>
> Is there anything I can do with this modem? I know the modem itself works...
> I'm just stuck on this and can't find help anywhere.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Z

Is this a "dvsd"  modem (or "dsvd", I can never remember)?  I had one in
a Boca 33.6 modem and tried for two years to get it running under Linux.
Similar to what you describe above.  Never did work.  Finally replaced
it with a US Robotics external modem.  Haven't looked back.

The "dvsd" modems are similar to "winmodems".  Only work under M$
Windows.

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD k6-3 compatible main board
Date: 5 Jul 1999 03:41:38 GMT

Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Rolston Jeremiah wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I need to build a system immediately with AMD k6-3 CPU. Will someone
>> please suggest a main board/chip set to buy.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Rjae
>> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>FIC 503+
>ASUS P5A-B
>check asus and fic web sites for technical details

The P5A-B will do but uses the ALI Aladdin chipset which is not quite
there yet with UDMA support.  I do like the VA503+ which has the BAT
form factor.

For an ATX system I like the AOpen AX59Pro; good quality, very flexible.
You can find links to these and other mainboards at the URL below.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:08:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware H. Michael Smith, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: To the best of my knowledge Dell is NOT shipping, or supporting in
: anyway, Linux.

your knowledge isn't very good then ;-) ;-)

at my last company, we received several linux boxes from dell.  sans microsof~1

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSL versus Cable modem.
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:29:49 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> just tell them you have windows over the phone.  yes it sucks.
> however, when i said that i had linux and no windows, they (mediaone)
> refused to even schedule an installer to come to my house.  perhaps
> their policy has changed.

Their policy hasn't changed, at least in Minnesota.  Luckily for me I've
got Windows as well as Linux here so they can do the initial setup on
W95.  They made it very clear, however, that they did not care what I do
once they leave.  For example, they don't allow their systems to be
connected to a LAN either during the initial setup but don't care what
you do later.

> once you are hooked up, mediaone has turned out to be non-hostile to
> linux.  they haven't set up anything that requires microsoft software
> and they do not bother me for running linux.  they even have a local
> newsgroup dedicated to linux so they are even slightly friendly.  they
> don't do linux hand-holding support questions, but i didn't expect that.

That's good to hear.  I also heard they have a Linux page on their web
site, but I haven't been able to locate that yet.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (with cable access being hooked up next
week!)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:09:40 +0000
From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Modem Problem

==============0C5C7E3B6968400C2BA1243D

ZombieSeed wrote:

> I just reformatted my hard drive and installed Linux. I have a PnP modem in
> my computer, which Linux recognized upon installation (if I type 'dmesg |
> less' at the command line it shows I have something in ttyS0 and ttyS3 (If I
> install Linux without the modem, ttyS0 just shows up, so I'm assuming ttyS3
> is the modem)...
>
> I did 'setserial /dev/ttyS3' and it showed that there is a UART of 16550A,
> but when I run minicom, it doesn't initialize my modem... basically the
> system recognizes the modem, but if I try to access it, it acts like it's
> not thee... it's weird.
>
> Any info on what I could do to fix this is greatly appreciated!
>
> -Z
        See my previous post!! The attached setup is for non-Winmodems. I
thought the Modem-HOWTO now catered quite well for internal modems,
however, this old old story seems to be rearing its head again with some
frequency, that's why I've saved it in case it ever became a popular
question again. It's helped many people to get going when the usual
advice was to use an outboard modem.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

    Get isapnptools from somewhere like sunsite.unc.edu in the debian
distribution.
Do pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
Edit /etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the desired lines...... e.g.
(IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             Low true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE -E)))
.
.
.
.
#     End dependent functions
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x12 (BAD)
        Next run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and setserial, would suggest an irq
be chosen that doesn't conflict with an existing serial port. You can place
the commands in your /etc/rc.d/rc.serial file so it takes care of it all
during boot up. Below is what I've set mine to .........
        My modem reported COM3 IRQ4 port 0x3e8 under dos install.
# Latest 2.1 kernels (2.0.3x ???) needs spd_normal
/bin/setserial /dev/cua2 port 0x3e8 irq 5 uart 16550A skip_test  spd_vhi
/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
        There are a number of GUI setups that make it easy, I use xisp, but
here is a script I used previously.
debug /dev/cua2 57600 debug modem defaultroute noipdefault
tail -f -n 10 /var/log/messages
        The "tail" above lets you monitor progress of the connection and can
be terminated by ^C.

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:13:25 +0000
From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS688 real SB compatible?

Eric Wick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is the ESS688 really full SB16 compatible, or is this only a tricky feature
> when using win-drivers?
>
> --
>
> ByeBye
> Eric
        I guess you mean the 1688, it will work as a SB16, I have an ESS1868
which i used as a SB16, but now I'm using the alsa driver,
http://www.alsa.org
Regards

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 03:19:33 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike
Frisch) writes:
>On 5 Jul 1999 02:17:21 GMT, Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Wrong again.
>>
>>There is no board with duals that has ATA66.  Dual CPU mobos are Intel
>
>Wrong again.  ABit BP6 supports dual Socket 370 Celerons and UDMA/66
>support using the Intel BX chipset.

How?  The BX does not officially support UDMA 66 unless you do tweaks
that is not supported by Intel.  I really doubt if it's true UDMA 66 at
all since according to Intel, BX has no UDMA 66 capability.   The only
way I can see that is possible is by matching the i810's southbridge
with the BX northbridge, and that is not sanctioned or allowed by Intel.

>>Dream on.
>
>Before making arrogant statements like this, check your facts.

Like Intel does not support and will disable Celerons for
multiprocessing?

Rgds,

Chris

>Mike.

>  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
>  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:04:04 +0000
From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sg.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help! ISP dial-up.

==============CCDB9E9CE775B7F4AF1D267D

ambient wrote:

> Hello;
>
>   I am using RH 6.0 , but could not get to configure dial-up to my ISP. I
> hvae used netcfg to set primary DNS and secondary DNS under the nameserver.
> also added the PPP0 ,
>
> I have succeeded in dialling in ( heard the modem dialling ) and get
> connected. But it gets disconnected soon after about 30s. i tried using
> netscape ro surf but was reported the messaegs" could not find server
> ......."
>
> I also laucnched the pppd /dev/modem , no help though.
>
> So can anybody provide any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> ricky
        You did not say what type of modem you are using, just in case, I've
appended the setup for an internal PNP modem, this has helped many
people get going over quite a period, especially when the usual advice
was to use an external modem, it does not work with a Winmodem, there is
some development going on there, a search on linux+winmodem should yield
results.
Regards