  Linux on Compaq ProLian 1850R - any luck? (John Sinnott)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:02:32 GMT

Very well put Steffen!

I guess I let my highly vertical app nature intrude in a somewhat
general discussion.
Allow me to explain.
I do digital audio and the classic question in this field (much like
Linux) is what should I purchase, a Mac or a PC.

Since most DAW's are not used for balancing ones family budget, the
classic answer is, choose your recording software first and then
choose the platform and there are very good arguments for both
platforms.

I was trying to apply the same logic to the Linux/Win debate, but
applying it only for highly vertical applications like robotics or
file/web server type stuff.

As you point out this theory kind of fails when confronted with
average users who are going to run multitudes of different apps.

Steve

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information about HP 695C
Date: 15 Mar 1999 22:17:34 -0500

Glen L. Spangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Fagni Tiziano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Is this printer compatible with Linux? Thanks for help.

> I have the same question concerning the HP697C.

Yes, the 690C series DeskJet are supported perfectly by Ghostscript.

See the Printing HOWTO's compatibility listing at
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ISDN
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:12:37 +1100

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Has anyone connect a linux box to a workstation using an ISDN link ? I
> want to get two machines talking to each other using PPP on an ISDN link.
> Ethernet would be the best option I know, but I can't use it. I've had a
> look at the HOWTO's and can't find anything that is of much use.
>
> My main question is how do I setup the link ? How do I get one machine
> to "dial" the other ? They will be connect directly to each other in a LAN
> config.

You use PPP. :-)

The ISDN line card should just be another device to Linux, which can be
accessed the same way as /dev/ttyS0 or /ttyS1 would be for a dial out
modem.

There's a pretty good how-to provided with most distributions - have a
look for it.

DaZZa

------------------------------

From: Patrick Finnegan <"finnegan5660<DELME>"@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: How do I install my ZIP drive with Linux RedHat 5.2
Date: 16 Mar 1999 03:20:24 GMT

Try using the IMM module instead -- with newer drives (especially ZipPlus)
Iomega switched to a different driver software interface.

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdj890 driver does not work
Date: 15 Mar 1999 22:20:36 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremiah) writes:

>> I successfully compiled ghostscript 5.10 and 5.50 with cdj890 in
>> order to use my nezw HP880C.

> Try the cdj670 drivers...  according to the printer
> compatibility database (http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht),
> the 670 drivers work better than the 850 or 890 drivers...

> I'm still working on getting some better quality out of Linux... the
> colors are faded.  The quality through Windows is excellent, and the
> quality on premium paper is downright stunning.

Try also the "hpdj" driver; it supports the goofy ret modes, too, and
will work differently than the cdj* ones.  Wether the difference is
better or not, I don't know.
ftp://ftp.pdb.sni.de/pub/utilities/misc/hpdj.html

Whatever happens, please record your results in the database!

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AIC - 7890
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:23:26 GMT

Do you know if the AIC7896 is also supported under RH 5.2 (I will also
install the latest kernel)?  I'm about to build a dual-processor web-server
with the new L440GX+ intel board.  The AIC7896 comes on the board.  Thanks.

DR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Shaffer, Jr.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:38:11 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:57:59 GMT, "A.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
>annoying hiss comming from the speakers.

Mine has always done that too.  It seems that the input and output gain on the
card get set to maximum when it's initialized.  If you have a mixer program that
lets you adjust the gain settings, turn them down.  You don't need them set that
high.  If, on the other hand, your card doesn't have adjustable gain, I don't
know what to tell you.  (Other than, if you hear noises that vary with what
you're doing on your computer, disable your microphone input when you're not
using a microphone.)

--
home page: http://woodstock.csrlink.net/~jshaffer

------------------------------

From: "omega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision!
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:40:31 -0500

Hi,

I am a new linux user!

Please can you tell me which`` 3com us robotics modem`` do I have to buy:

1-Model 5685-00, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)Pnp:Yes.Jumpers:Yes
Interface:8-bit ISA.

2-Model 5685, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)
PnP: Yes.Jumpers:No.Interface:16-bit ISA.

I need a modem for windows too.

And what do you recommand internal or external?

Many thanks.
omega.t

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HELP!- Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI (1371) MIDI
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:51:34 +0000

The sound is working (incl recording). But MIDI is not working at all. I
get the error /dev/sequencer not supported with playmidi.

So I moved /dev/sequencer and linked it to /dev/dsp. Now I get the error
no sound card found when I do playmidi ! Sound (.wav files) still work.

I am using the 1371 driver that comes with linux (RH 5.2)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Lai)
Subject: Another MO question...
Date: 16 Mar 1999 03:51:26 GMT

        I am using Fujitsu slim FN640 turbo MO and RH5.2 Kernal 2.0.36.
        Now I can mount my MO ... but I face another problem ...
        Can I use 640 MB MO block  size 2048 to boot up my Linux??
        If Yes, how can I do that...?
        Thx.

* Vincent Lai (Lai Chun Yu)                      |     賴振宇(燦記) *
* Computer Science of                   Year 1/3 |     計算機科學系 *
* Chinese University of Hong Kong                |     香港中文大學 *
* email address : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (recommended)        NA 新亞人   *
*                 / [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        *
* pager no : (852) 7707 2909     hostel: 26036335 Call Rm.123       *

        ^~ ~~ ^
      / / ^ \ \ \   .___________________.
       | _   _ |    |                   |
      { (@)-(@) }   | I am Vincent !!!  |
       |   L   |    | __________________|
        \ \_/ /     |/
         \___/
 .signature V1.00 1995

------------------------------

From: Patrick Draper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SB16PnP-How?
Date: 15 Mar 1999 19:53:06 PST

jas shultz wrote:

> have you tried running sndconfig? I'm not sure that slackware has it,
> but I assume it does as well.

I think sndconfig is a Red Hat thing.

My experience when I ran it was that it screwed everything up.

After a bit of diagnosis I discovered that it wrote out an isapnp.conf
file, and the Red Hat startup scripts discovered that file and started
running isapnp on boot-up. Anyway, the pnp configuration wasn't quite
right and both sound and my X configuration broke. Renaming the
isapnp.conf file fixed the problem. I have since upgraded to kernel
2.2.3

--
Patrick Draper - Phoenix, Arizona| Don't   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Join the Free Trek Project       | Fear    | Father Order runs at a

------------------------------

From: Ivan Sumner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two SCSI adaptors?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:02:44 -0500

By kernel options, do you mean boot parameters?  I have a BusLogic bt958
working fine.  I added a bt930 and neither card is now recognized.
Ivan

Mario Moder wrote:

> Andrew Crowley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have two SCSI adaptors on my machine, do I have recompile the kernel or
> > something to be able to access both cards (advansys)?
>
> Your kernel must have support for both cards if they are different ones.
> If they are the same, you only need one driver for both.  And if your
> kernel sees only one of the two cards then you must probably give your
> kernel some options to see the other one too. I have two Adaptecs running
> in my machine and one of them needs kernel options for being recognized.
>
> Greetings,
>       Mario

R. Ivan Sumner

------------------------------

From: jas shultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:31:31 -0700

==============95E1F837BE08ECB0527A8018

have you tried running sndconfig? I'm not sure that slackware has it, but I
assume it does as well.

Jas

eric malloy wrote:

> How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this info about it out of
> NT:
>
> IRQ=5
> DMA= 00
> DMA= 00
> I/O Range: 0220-022F
> I/O Range: 0300-0301
>
> Can someone tell me how to configure this.. when i compiled the 2.2.3
> kernel i added PnP support and SB16 support
>
> and if it helps i run slackware 3.6
>
> Thanks
> eric

Visit http://www.openskyco.com for all your
web needs. Do searches, auction items, register
for your own domain. Join our online newsletter!
Get your own free email account that'll notify
you via ICQ of new mail.
page me via ICQ: 5167339

==============95E1F837BE08ECB0527A8018

<HTML>
have you tried running sndconfig? I'm not sure that slackware has it, but
I assume it does as well.
<P>Jas
<P>eric malloy wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this
info about it out of
<BR>NT:
<P>IRQ=5
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>DMA= 00
<BR>I/O Range: 0220-022F
<BR>I/O Range: 0300-0301
<P>Can someone tell me how to configure this.. when i compiled the 2.2.3
<BR>kernel i added PnP support and SB16 support
<P>and if it helps i run slackware 3.6
<P>Thanks
<BR>eric</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
Visit <A HREF="http://www.openskyco.com">http://www.openskyco.com</A> for all your
web needs. Do searches, auction items, register
for your own domain. Join our online newsletter!
Get your own free email account that'll notify
you via ICQ of new mail.
page me via ICQ: 5167339
===========================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: John Sinnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux on Compaq ProLian 1850R - any luck?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:12:05 -0800

Has anyone managed to get Linux up and running on the ProLiant 1850R?  I
know it is possible, since Compaq is now shipping these boxes configured
for Linux.  The only problem I am having is getting the embedded 10/100
UTP NIC that comes with the box working.  Is there a compatible driver
available, or do I need to just purchase another NIC for one of the PCI
slots?

Thanks
John