From: "J. Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yes, another stupid zip drive question...
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:56:50 -0400

I'm trying to get my zip100 to work on my system but am having no
luck. I know that this question has probably been asked a million
times but I have read the zip faq and perused Dave Campbell's site
for 3 days and can't seem to figure this out. Here's the situation:

My system has a AMD K6-2 350
                Epox 1meg cache m/b mvp3-g
                128 megs of ram
                6.4 maxtor
                32x creative labs cd-rom
                and an epson 640 is connected to the zip drive.
                My system runs Linux-Mandrake 6.0.

I recompiled the kernel for module support. Remade the modules and
installed them. Rebooted my system and ran "insmod ppa". I keep
getting this error mesg:

[root@nika /root]# insmod ppa
/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_release_Ra542614f

/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_enumerate_Re26cc4d7

/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_device_Ra1c73c82

/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_device_R74a7216e

/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_claim_R361c1f18

What am I missing???

Thanx in advance for any help AND please excuse my ignorance.

J....

------------------------------

From: Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yes, another stupid zip drive question...
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 22:16:04 -0700

"J. Davis" wrote:

> I'm trying to get my zip100 to work on my system but am having no
>

> What am I missing???

Try "insmod parport". It seems you are missing it ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BoYz)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:16:55 -0400

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.hardware and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9907050040580.6858-100000@nika>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I'm trying to get my zip100 to work on my system but am having no
> luck. I know that this question has probably been asked a million
> times but I have read the zip faq and perused Dave Campbell's site
> for 3 days and can't seem to figure this out. Here's the situation:
>
> My system has a AMD K6-2 350
>                 Epox 1meg cache m/b mvp3-g
>                 128 megs of ram
>                 6.4 maxtor
>                 32x creative labs cd-rom
>                 and an epson 640 is connected to the zip drive.
>                 My system runs Linux-Mandrake 6.0.
>
> I recompiled the kernel for module support. Remade the modules and
> installed them. Rebooted my system and ran "insmod ppa". I keep
> getting this error mesg:
also get the same problem in Redhat 6.0. need solution too.
Thank for any help,
BoYz

------------------------------

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:40:21 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

I saw in another post that someone claimed Abit is using a Promise
controller chip to add two more IDE channels with UDMA/66 support.   In
other words, it apparently has two UDMA/33 and two UDMA/66 channels...

Regards,
    Dean

------------------------------

From: "J. Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:38:16 -0400

Thanx a bunch! I really appreciate this.

J...

From: Alfair Villa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: FREEZING system
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 05:31:39 GMT

You might need another cpu but try these first. Make sure the cpu
heatsink is firmed properly to your cpu. Put silicon heatsink compound
if needed. Problems like you have usaully comes from a burnt cpu. Try
also to under clock your cpu or reduce the core voltage of your cpu.
These are alternate solutions but there is nothing better to replace
the cpu for trouble free computing. Suspect: CPU related 70%,
motherboard 20%, 10% other component.

--
Forgot Your IBM Thinkpad's Supervisor Password?
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or Call 905-2788454

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Date: 05 Jul 1999 05:59:06 GMT

>(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
>1.   Microsoft Works
>---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

Just wondering...is the number two oxymoron "Easy Linux Installation"?

:-)

==================================
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

------------------------------

From: "FM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:49:20 -0400

-> An overwhelming consensus against buying a computer from
college

I might or might not have much choice regarding this issue.
This college has strict computer-ownership requirements and
it will be a hassle to fit a new system into them. I have
recently checked Dell's website and the price was fairly
similar (Dell's definitely overpriced, at least as far as I
know). Although I'm sure I can get a better deal outside, I
might be eligible for financial aid if I buy one from
college. (I'm still waiting for the mail package which
should have all this relevent information including prices).

-> Celeron's performance (favors comparably against PII/PIII
for price/performance although trails slightly behind in
some areas)

I guess Celeron suffices for my purposes.

-> Get K6-3/K7/*

Well I don't think I really have any choice, if I buy one
from college. I'll look into K6-2/3 if I get to choose my
own system. I have neither the bucks nor the time for K7,
having already ordered a small laptop.

-> Celeron 300a has a shorter cache latency than a Celeron
466 (Chris Robato Yao)

Somehow I didn't quite understand how this is the case. So
for CPU's, 300@450 is fastr than genuine 450? Or is this a
particular case for Celerons?

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do you know if you have a WinModem?
Date: 5 Jul 1999 00:21:04 -0500

X Metro Man wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:49:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Curley) wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 15:10:27 +0000, Skaya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >scribbled:
>
> >Another good way to determine if your modem is a "winmodem" is to boot
> >up to dos  (not dos inside windows), then try some sort of dos
> >internet program, or something that uses the modem in dos  (you might
> >have to download something).   If the modem works under "pure" dos,
> >it's not a Winmodem.
>
> You could have a Viking, which is a PNP with no override jumpers,
> which provides software so it can run under DOS or OS/2.  However,
> since it cannot be hardware-set, it cannot run under Linux.  Unless,
> of course, someone has come up with a driver for it.  Viking has no
> Linux drivers.

I have a Viking modem and the only thing that crashed on it was
Win 98, I actually had to reinstall Win 98. I got the external
modem which is pnp also, go figure ...

For internal modem just make sure you got an ISA so you can use
isapnp which works well.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: Wayne Larmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to setup mandrake 6 for a cable modem
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 05:22:38 GMT

Jean-Michel Dault wrote:

> I installed a cable modem yesterday and it works great.
>
> Once you get your EtherExpress PNP disabled, you should be able to install, and
> it will ask you for the network parameters.
>
> If you need to reconfigure, just start Linuxconf, go to the Network section,
> then configure your IP address, gateway and DNS.
>
> Jean-Michel Dault

I'm also using a cable modem with an Intel EEPro connected to it and it
also works great.  Like Jean-Michel said, disable PNP and it will work.

My EEPro is connected directly to the cable modem.  I'm using Mandrake
5.3 as a firewall/IP masquerader.  (Still shaking out Mandrake 6.0.)  My
second nic feeds a hub and I can connect all the computers I want to it.

If you are using a cable modem then you really should consider
configuring a firewall for protection.  And don't run sendmail unless
you *really* know how to configure it, because spammers *love* to find
Linux boxes running sendmail so that they can relay their spam using
*your* box.  Guess what your cable modem company's reaction will be?

And they can find new Linux boxes fast, because they use auto-probing
methods.  One of our local cable modem users reported that a hacker
found a new Linux box of his within 6 hours after he first started it.

You can use Samba to network with your Win 9x machines.

I have links to networking and Samba information at
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/docs.html#networking

Using Linux with a cable modem:
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/cablemodem.html

Also, check out http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/

Wayne Larmon
http://www.scrounge.org/
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/linuxtips.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: Re: ADSL versus Cable modem.
Date: 05 Jul 1999 06:29:31 GMT

what is the normal total cost associated with getting a cable modem?

thanks,
Jeremy

==================================

From: jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FIC 503+
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:16:28 -0500

hello,
does anyone have experience with the FIC 503+ w/ an AMD K6-2 3D  400
chip and linux.
does it work?!
thanks in advance.

From: "Rich Churcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SupraExpress 56i Pro internal - bad news (was "can't get Internal Modem
working")
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:49:35 +1000

Vignesh,

Check out the modem specifications at

http://www.diamondmm.de/diamondde/eng/products/comm/56ipro2.htm

which unfortunately lists windows as a system requirement.  This model is
apparently somewhat different to the others in the series.  Also see the
Linux Modem Compatability Knowledge Base at:

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/19990704a.html

Sorry the news isn't better.  I'm going to make a last ditch effort to get
mine exchanged, but I don't hold out much hope.

Cheers,

Rich.
--
temporarily at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Arnold)
Subject: Re: Blaster Banshee AGP and Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:18:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Okay, my video card (MPACT) does not work under linux.  That was with
>the Caldera distribution.  I'm now thinking of installing Mandrake (if
>it's easy *hehe*).  The COL install wasn't bad I just couldn't see
>anything!!
>
>Now, if I get a Blaster Banshee video card, will it work with the
>Mandrake 6.0 distribution?  Anyone have the Blaster Banshee Video card
>working with Mandrake 6.0??

I had my ELSA Banshee AGP working fine with redhat 5.2 (but updated XF86
3.3.3-1).  The 3D/FX server for Voodoo Rush and Banshee cards was a beta
download from another guy's page (see the XFree web site).  The setup program
wrote a bogus config file, but I hacked it together by hand.

If you mean you can't see anything at all (even before X starts) then you may
need to set a BIOS option "Init primary display - AGP" or something.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bud (the original))
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:55:40 GMT

:Frisch) writes:
:>On 5 Jul 1999 02:17:21 GMT, Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>>Wrong again.
:>>
:>>There is no board with duals that has ATA66.  Dual CPU mobos are Intel
:>
:
:How?  The BX does not officially support UDMA 66 unless you do tweaks
:that is not supported by Intel.  I really doubt if it's true UDMA 66 at
:all since according to Intel, BX has no UDMA 66 capability.   The only
:way I can see that is possible is by matching the i810's southbridge
:with the BX northbridge, and that is not sanctioned or allowed by Intel.

Both the BP6and the BE6 claim UDMA/66, with a separate controller
for the IDE ports, and using the BX chipset.

They have at least one other UDMA/66 MB, but using the ZX chipset.

TO reply via e-mail, change the I in the address to an A.
CA antispam laws went into effect Jan 1, 1999.
Violators may be liable for both fines AND jail time for spamming this account.