Linux-Hardware Digest #671, Volume #13            Wed, 4 Oct 00 11:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  AcerView F50 (Julian Laub)
  suse linux 7.0 and nvidia tnt2m64 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ? ("Adam Short")
  Troubles with CD-Writer and now alos with CD-rom (D. J. Poel)
  Re: Onstream ADR50i - AHA-2940U2W - SuSE 6.4 ("Werner Neumann")
  Re: Onstream ADR50i - AHA-2940U2W - SuSE 6.4 ("Werner Neumann")
  Re: Performance problem IBM ATA100 drive, SiS 5513 chipset (Stefan Taferner)
  Re: adding a scsi disk to an ide system (Alan Needleman)
  Re: Can't open /dev/dsp! ("Andrew P. Billyard")
  Transcend TS-AKT4 motherboard? ("Einar Magnus Råberg")
  Memory diagnostic program on linux ? (Takashi Ichihara)
  driver for inspiron 3800 -> ess maestro 3i wanted!!! (Ralf Bierig)
  *SLOW* cable modem connection ("Andrew P. Billyard")
  Re: SB Live! doesn't work under Red Hat 7.0, Please Help (Matt Repasky)
  scanners (Ken Siersma)
  Re: NIC recommendation (Johan Kullstam)
  Best OS (manny)
  Re: Memory diagnostic program on linux ? ("Tom Brinkman")
  Compaq Network Adapter ("Peter Treloar")
  Re: deleting huge file didn't free space (John)
  segfault - internal compiler error - GRRRR (Eric Laffoon)
  Re: how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ? ("D F")
  Re: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffffff (Bernhard
Mogens Ege)
  Re: Best OS (John)
  Re: scanners (John)

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:22:51 +0200
From: Julian Laub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AcerView F50

I have an AcerView F50 Flatpanel on a Cirrus Logic GD 7555 2MB an it is
doing fine with XF86_SVGA but only in the 8bit mode. When I try out the
16bit mode, which worked well when I had windows, I still get an image
on the screen, but it is very dark and without any contrast.
I tried many different settings (including modifying the horiz. and vert
sync rate), but I can't get those 16bit work.

Has anybody a clue?

Thank you
Julian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: suse linux 7.0 and nvidia tnt2m64
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:20:08 GMT

Hello out there,

I got an XL problem with suse linux 7.0 (i686)
xfree 4.0, nvidia tnt2m64 and a LG 775ft-Monitor.
I configured everything with sax2 and so far it
works fine with the nv-driver, the nvidia doesn't
work at all. I tried to update everything from the
suse homepage, but rpm hangs when it unpacks the
*.rpms.
Now the problem:

When I want to use xmms for instance, the monitor
switches of with a warning message that the
hsync/vsync rate is too low. As I said above, I
told sax2 the hsync/vsync values from the monitors
handbook. I tried it with xf86config, no effects
at all.
When that happens, it is impossible to use the
system, I can't kill the server, but the system is
still doing the jobs.
I don't use any performance features from BIOS, as
recommanded in README.

Has anybody an idea?

-j

BTW: I NEVER buy any nvidia product again. HAs
anybody an recommandation for a high performance
grafic card without any nvidia chips?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can I use my IDE CD-RW for linux ?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:37:30 GMT

You have to recompile your kernel. In the block devices section, disable
anything to do with your cdrom (all IDE support), enable scsi support and
then go to the scsi devices section, in there enable scsi cdrom, scsi
generic and scsi emulation. I think thats where they are anyway. Recompile
the kernel and reboot. Your cd device(s) should now be detected as scsi
devices and you will be able to use them as such.

Adam

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: D. J. Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Troubles with CD-Writer and now alos with CD-rom
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:49:59 +0200

System
Piii-500mhz
Seagate 17GB (Master)
Quantum 6,4Gb (Slave)
Plextor Writer 32x12x10 (Master)
Aopen 32x CD Rom (slave)

Me = Newbie in linux, just started with Mandrake 7.1

I can't use my CD-WR, and since yesterday I can't use my CD-R player as
well.
I thouhgt I figured it out with the help of the tutorials at mandrakes
site,but that didn't work for me.

A collegae told me to check /etc/mtab
This is what was there (at this time my CD-Rom still worked)
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0

I changed line 1 (without any result though) in:
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0

Mtab at this moment contains these lines (CD-rom also doesn't work
anymore):
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount rw,fs=iso9660 0 0

I searched deja and found some postings that sounded familiar, but I just
didn't understand what the answers where saying. I mean, i can do what
they tell, but I would'nt inderstand the least of it. Soooo unsatisfying.
Things like mtab, fstab en conf.modules etc, I don't understand these
things, but i want to! Therefore my questions if someone can enlighten me
some. Especially the relation between all these things. Or tell me where
to find the information needed, because I'm having trouble finding my way
in the enormous amount of info on the web.

Thanks in advance

Greetz,
Derk Jan

------------------------------

From: "Werner Neumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Onstream ADR50i - AHA-2940U2W - SuSE 6.4
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:23:35 +0200

Upgrading the devices' firmware from 2.20 to 2.33 did the trick. Now it
seems to be working just fine. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, James.
It is really nst1. The other device is a Conner CTT8000-S.  Daily backup
on this device worked all the time. Therefore I didn't expect trouble on the
kernel or modules side.

------------------------------

From: "Werner Neumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:34:40 +0200

You're sure about the drives name? Never heard about
that one. Onstreams homepage mentiones only

DI30, Internal IDE, 30GB
SC30, Internal SCSI (50-pin), 30GB
SC30e, External SCSI (50-pin), 30GB
SC50, Internal SCSI (50-pin), 50GB
DP30, External Parallel Port, 30GB
USB30, External USB, 30GB
ADR50i, Internal SCSI (68-pin), 50GB
ADR50e, External SCSI (68-pin), 50GB

Onstream support features a special linux-related site at
http://www.onstream.com/support/linux/index.html

This site states:
>> ADR50 is Certified for Linux
   DI30 is Certified for Linux <<

but also:
>> Support for the OnStream SC30 and SC50 will be available soon. <<,
whatever that's suppossed to mean.

Unless you've got one of these I don't think you will get any support from
them.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Performance problem IBM ATA100 drive, SiS 5513 chipset
From: Stefan Taferner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Oct 2000 13:07:39 +0200

John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have a system with an ASUS P5S-B motherboard (SiS 5513 chipset,
> AT M/b) and an IBM Deskstar 75 drive. The CPU is an AMD K6-II/500
>  (and reported as such by the kernel).
>
> The drive is capable of something over 30 Mbytes/sec off the surface,
> and the board is supposedly UDMA/66-capable..
>
> According to hdparm actually get somewhat less;( - More like 14 Mbytes/sec.
[...]
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  4.05 seconds = 31.60 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.89 seconds = 13.09 MB/sec
> [root@dugite /root]#

I have a detailed harddisk comparison of C't (german computer magazine)
next to me.

The tests for your drive give:
sequential read transfer min/avg/max: 17.6/27.6/35.9

Doing some quick tests here with an IBM-DPTA-371360 drive
(min/avg/max: 13/19/22) shows that buffered read is always 112 MB/sec,
and unbuffered is around 21 MB/sec. However, I had to run it at least
twice without doing much else, to obtain the same results.

My hdparm settings are:
                  hdparm -c1 -d1 -k1 -m16 -W1 -S60 /dev/hda

The system is a P3/550 with 133MHz rams, if that counts. Stock 2.2.15
kernel without any patches.

-- Stefan

------------------------------

From: Alan Needleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding a scsi disk to an ide system
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:29:15 GMT

Michael:

> > Got it! I have to manually /sbin/insmod ncr53c8xx. Is there a way to get
> > the kernel to do this automatically?
>
> In some distributions, editing /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules and
> adding the line:
>
>         alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx
>
> will do the trick.

Thanks for your response. Kudzu put that line in modules.conf. What I
needed to do was rerun mkinitrd and then lilo to point it to the new
.img file.

Thanks again.

Alan

------------------------------

From: "Andrew P. Billyard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't open /dev/dsp!
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:56:02 GMT

Most often, if its simply a permission problem, its because the
permissions change on these devices when someone logs on via the
console.  You can change this by editing the file

/etc/security/console.perms

so that /dev/dsp (and others) have write access for users (or whomever).

man console.perms

has more information on this.

Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: "Einar Magnus Råberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Transcend TS-AKT4 motherboard?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:01:18 +0200

Has anyone tested this motherboard? (For AMD Athlon Tbird processors.)

I'm having some troubles with it. It seems to POST all right, recognizes all
IDE drives, etc. When trying to load Win2K, e.g., it blue-screens, even when
trying to boot off the installation cd.

Booting Linux Mandrake seems to work ok then, from the 7.1 installation cd
at least.

-Einar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Takashi Ichihara)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Memory diagnostic program on linux ?
Date: 4 Oct 2000 13:08:15 GMT

  Does anyone know is there any  "memory diagnostic program"
which runs on linux OS ?
        Thanks  for the information.
                                                Takashi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:51:52 +0100
From: Ralf Bierig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: driver for inspiron 3800 -> ess maestro 3i wanted!!!

who can help me.... I have only found a oss driver

greetings

------------------------------

From: "Andrew P. Billyard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: *SLOW* cable modem connection
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:20:38 GMT

Hi, I have recently been having *extremely* slow connections with my
cable modem (@HOME service through COGECO in Kingston, Ontario).  Slow
as in <230 bytes/second.  This all started to happen after I upgraded to
the 2.4 kernel (well to 2.2.17 to 2.4) from 2.2.14...and the modem keeps
loosing its connection.  Now, before I call up the cable company and
start complaining, I just want to make sure that it cannot be a
hardware/operating system problem (everytime you mention Linux to them,
they automatically say that they cannot help).  Can it be something in
the setup?  Was the timing with the upgrade merely coincidence?

I get my dynamic IP at bootup with DHCP protocal, and I have in my
/etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain   Mintaka
130.15.26.39    lola    lola.phy.queensu.ca
130.15.28.14    fisher.phy.queensu.ca   fisher

with my machine's hostname as Mintaka.  Also through linuxconf I have it
so that addresses are first checked through /etc/hosts and then dns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Matt Repasky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live! doesn't work under Red Hat 7.0, Please Help
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:29:57 -0400

I am experinecing the same problem with a Sound Blaster 16 pnp soundcard running
the KDE over OpenLinux 2.2.  I can play audio through /dev/audio as the kscd cd
player works, but cannot hear anything from /dev/dsp which I believe xmms,
mpg123, and kmp3 are trying to send their output to.  Perhaps we're having the
same problem.  If you get your system to work please email me with your
solution.  Thanks.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Ken Siersma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scanners
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:30:11 +0000

Hello,
A few easy questions -Would like to hook up a USB scanner to a linux
machine.  Will it work?  Any suggestions on software for using it?  Does
Windoze NT support USB?

Thanks,
Ken

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NIC recommendation
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Oct 2000 09:41:05 -0400

"Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "wm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:losC5.2288$C9.186287@news...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently purchased a NetGear NIC model FX-310 that I discovering is NOT
> > the best choice for my Cyrix P150 Linux (RH 5.2) box. Could anyone make a
> > recommendation for a more appropriate card??
> >

> Opinions vary, but I think it's hard to go wrong with a 3Com NIC....
> 3C509 is well supported (well, the 509c takes a little working, but it's not
> too bad...)
>
> Also, any card based on the DEC 'Tulip' chipset should be a good choice,
> although there are now some tulip 'varients' out there that can be a
> challenge to get running...
>
> Lastly, if a 10 base T card will do, the NE2000 clones are bone simple...
> You can pick them up for $25-$30 to boot...

$25 to 30???  that's outrageous!  you can get them for $5 at any
computer show.

<URL:http://www.centrix-intl.com>

click on "networking" from menu on left.  fwiw i think frames suck
too.

10baseT and 100baseTx NICs for $3 to $15.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: manny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best OS
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:47:07 GMT

I want to hear feedback from the users on this list for their
recommendation for the best Linux OS to use.

My main applications will be:

- scientific programming (mainly using g77)
- data visualization (some 3-d visualization which may require
programming with OpenGL or Mesa)
- use of StarOffice (for word processing, etc...)

The Hardware I will be using:

-ABIT KT7-Raid (I will not be using the RAID system yet)
-AThlon 800 TB
- I have not chosen a video card yet for this system. I will ask for
input from you in a separate post.

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory diagnostic program on linux ?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:24:55 GMT

In article <8rfa3v$4qb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Takashi Ichihara"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Does anyone know is there any  "memory diagnostic program"
> which runs on linux OS ?
>         Thanks  for the information.
>                                               Takashi

   Best one:

    http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/

   Tom

------------------------------

From: "Peter Treloar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Compaq Network Adapter
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:24:25 GMT

Does anyone know what network adapter is in the docking station of an Armada
4120T

Thanks,

Peter.

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: deleting huge file didn't free space
Date: 4 Oct 2000 21:57:21 +0800

David Morse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can you tell me how to safely run e2fsck on /?  I don't mind rebooting
> (I have several times already), but isn't linux going to be incapable of
> running "/bin/e2fsck /dev/hda4" with no /bin, and no /dev?  :)

mount -o ro,remount /dev/hda4
/bin/e2fsck /dev/hda4

Probably best to boot to single user mode first ("linux s").

Note that rebooting may well fix the problem; Linux (and Unix)
don't remove files untill they're closed.

lsof is a good package to use to check for this and similar
problems,

From: Eric Laffoon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: segfault - internal compiler error - GRRRR
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:41:01 -0700

If anyone has any idea on this I would be eternally grateful. I am at the
point where I would exchange atrocities for a solution.

I have an Athlon 700 on an Asus K7M board with 256 MB RAM and a Maxtor 30
GB drive.  I'm running Mandrake 7.1 with the 2.2.17 kernel. Frankly though
the kernel and drive seem academic as I have had problems ever since going
to the Athlon even though the motherboard I have is supposed to be one of
the good ones.

I am building KDE 2 and again this is academic... it seems that whatever I
do I just need to stress the system and it's toast. I have the latest gcc
and doing a compile gets numerous internal compiler errors. Segfaults are a
way of life and often my system, which unfortunately needs to be rebooted
several times a day, shows a partition as being busy. I get kernel paging
errors sometimes when trying to unmount my drives.

I mean running the #$%%^&ing compiler can lock it up!

I have a pentium 90 firewall running the same software that has been up for
months. My wife is running my old system, and AMD K6, and I can compile
programs on hers no problem. I maintain several K6s remotely that do not
have these problems.

So what do I do? Replace the motherboard? Get a 2.4 kernel? Does it handle
Athlons better? I am sick of having to make 10-20 times to compile a
program and having to reboot after to get my system working right!

If you have fixed this problem please email me a response.

Eric Laffoon
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team
http://quanta.sourceforge.net

------------------------------

From: "D F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:50:57 -0400

¥ «ó¤H wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi all,
>I have a IDE WPI 4424 CD-RW
>I was downloaded "gtoaster", in preferences valid drives is
/dev/scd0
>but my drive on /dev/hdd for CD-RW
>I edit it but cant work...
>
>--
>¥´«ó¤H, ¥´«ó§A!

The CD-Writing HowTo will answer all of your questions. I
followed it and had my burner working in under an hour.

Look for the HowTo in you /usr/doc or point your browser to:

www.linuxdoc.org

Dave Fluri  North Bay, Ontario  Canada

(The opinions herein are mine. I do not speak for my
employer
unless I expressly indicate otherwise).

------------------------------

Subject: Re: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffffff
From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:51:32 GMT

>> Ahh, needed some air.
>> My system keeps freezing on me. Has been running stable for 9 month
>> and now it freezes at least once a day.

> [my system description is snipped, read original message for these
> details]

> I left the machine displaying virtual console 1 (text mode, showing
> the login) and the activity in X (virtual console 7) was low (1 xterm,
> 1 clock, some system monitors running. No screensavers).

> Today, I saw this on the virtual console 1:

> unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffffff
current-> tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 = 00101000
> *pde = 00000000
> oops: 0000
> cpu: 0
> eip: 0010:[<ffffffff>]
> eflags: 00210286
> eax: 0000000f ebx: c7e471c0 ecx: 00000000 edx: 00000001
> esi: c885b9bc edi: c022c3a4 ebp: c0247f4c esp: c0247f18
> ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
> process swapper (pid: 0, process nr: 0, stackpage = (c0247000)
> stack: 00000001 c7e471c0 c01127ae c7e471c0 00000001 c027dea0 00259eae c022c3a4
>        00000001 c010ae3a 00000000 00000000 00000000 c0247f60 c01196d9 00000000
>        c0246000 c010b19a 00000e00 c010ae60 00000000 c0246000 00000000 c0246000
> call trace: [<c01127ae>] [<c010ae3a>] [<c01196d9>] [<c010b19a>]
> [<c010ae60>] [<c01088dd>] [<c0106000>]
>             [<c0108900>] [<c010a06c>] [<c0106000>] [<c0106077>]
> [<c0106000>] [<c0100175>]
> code: bad eip value.
> aiee, killing interrupt handler
> kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task!
> in swapper task - not syncing

> I assume it is possible to configure the kernel to output more
> information than these numbers or that it is possible to gain
> knowledge of what these numbers stand for. I am in particular
> interrested in the call trace. It might explain where it went of the
> road.

After reading a bit of documentation, I see that a tool to debug the
above message exist. Issuing these commands, presents me with a
readable form of the call trace:

cd /usr/src/linux/scripts/ksymoops
make ksymoops
./ksymoops < the_oops.txt

Result:

[...]
Warning: trailing garbage ignored on Code: line
  Text: 'code: bad eip value.'
  Garbage: 'ip value.'
Oops_code_values invalid value 0xbad in Code line, not a multiple of 2 digits, value
ignored
Oops_code_values invalid value 0xe in Code line, not a multiple of 2 digits, value
ignored

>>EIP: ffffffff <END_OF_CODE+37649e23/???
Trace: c01127ae <timer_bh+2be/404>
Trace: c010ae3a <do_8259A_IRQ+9a/a8>
Trace: c01196d9 <do_bottom_half+49/70>
Trace: c010b19a <do_IRQ+3a/3c>
Trace: c010ae60 <common_interrupt+18/20>
Trace: c01088dd <cpu_idle+5d/6c>
Trace: c0106000 <get_options+0/70>
Trace: c0108900 <sys_idle+14/20>
Code:  ffffffff <END_OF_CODE+37649e23/???      00000000 <_EIP>: <===

aiee, killing interrupt handler
kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task!
in swapper task - not syncing

1737 warnings and 5 errors issued.  Results may not be reliable.

Looking at the trace, I can see the cpu wasn't actually doing
anything when it crashed. Well, an interrupt occured, and that
apparently is fatal on my machine. Now I wonder why. There is not much
to go on with, except debugging the interrupt handler, which I an NOT
qualified to do.

Out of interrest, I looked at /proc/interrupts:

           CPU0
  0:     200596          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       4217          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  MPU-401 UART
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:     166867          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, nvidia
 10:          0          XT-PIC  Yamaha DS-XG
 11:      11417          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:      18506          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     483885          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:      16130          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

Should I be worried about the nvidia driver/hardware sharing
interrupts with the USB port? That's apparently the only problem I can
see, but I have earlier had USB be shared with eth0 and the system
still crashed (though not that often).

My guess is that any interrupt sharing on this system is fatal in some
degree. I will disable USB in bios and try again.

Any suggestions?

regards,

Bernhard Ege

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best OS
Date: 4 Oct 2000 22:03:40 +0800

manny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to hear feedback from the users on this list for their
> recommendation for the best Linux OS to use.

Whatever comes to hand will do the job just fine.

> My main applications will be:

> - scientific programming (mainly using g77)
> - data visualization (some 3-d visualization which may require
> programming with OpenGL or Mesa)
> - use of StarOffice (for word processing, etc...)

Which ever distro you get will have gnu compilers; RHL 7
is just released in the past few days and the software included
is probably as recent as any.

> The Hardware I will be using:

> -ABIT KT7-Raid (I will not be using the RAID system yet)
> -AThlon 800 TB
> - I have not chosen a video card yet for this system. I will ask for
> input from you in a separate post.

if you want good graphics, Matrox. Otherwise pretty much any
of the cheapies - S3, S3V, S3 Savage, i740.

btw Consider whether you would benefit from SMP; if you can
benefit from working two CPUs, the incremental cost isn't that
great compared with the overall cost of the system.

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scanners
Date: 4 Oct 2000 22:13:13 +0800

Ken Siersma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
> A few easy questions -Would like to hook up a USB scanner to a linux
> machine.  Will it work?  Any suggestions on software for using it?  Does
Should work. You need USB support; I gather it's in Red Hat Linux 7.

I'm using USB (for a trackball) with a 2.4 kernel. If you choose
this route there are other packages you need to upgrade -
read the documentation accompanying it.

There are refeences in the docs to assorted USB devices including
scanners, cameras et al. There may also be some supplementory
software you will want; again, read the kernsl docs.

I think you will also want sane;-). Whether you need an especially
recent version, I don't know, but it probably won't hurt.

> Windoze NT support USB?

Off topic. PO.