From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: aha1540 (ie aha1542) - can't load module
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:24:27 GMT

I have an adaptec aha1540cf with the bios disabled.

Once I boot into Mandrake 6.0, I type the following command:

insmod aha1542 aha1542=0x130

I have the jumpers on the card set for the 0x130 i/o to accomdate the
win 98 config (dual boot).

The error message I get is "AHA1542 invalid parameter"

If I leave out the i/o argument it responds saying the device is busy
or something like that.

I have a Yamaha 4416 CD Burner attached to the SCSI card.

Is there an easy command to find out if anything else is using the
same 0x130 address?  Am I way off base here?  I am a newbie at Linux.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darren

From: Maurice Kurland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3Com 3c900B - Compatible ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:49:21 +0100

I am using Red Hat  5.2. Is this card compatible (NB it is 900B with a
'B') and if so what driver do I use ?

Thanks
Maurice

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Looking for driver of HCF 56k PCI Modem?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:12:24 GMT

"Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>hi, there

>I am looking for it for a long time. Please help me if someone know it.
>thanks.

There is none, and most likely will never be. This is a Winmodem.
Junk it and buy a real modem.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyistİ)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:02:45 -0500

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:16:40 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrawled these
sagacious words ...

: >Hey, Linux lacks some spiffiness in it's appearance. It looks so dusky
: >and dry.... => You microsoft weenies seem to love the glitzy appearance
:
:       What rock have you been hiding under? X lacks little in the
:       way of spiffiness, even with adobe fonts.

Well, that's an old argument that I brought up. I was simply stating
arguments along the way that have been rationalised, and not necessarily
arguments that apply today. Your magazine rationalisation is simply the
latest one that I've heard.

Yes, one can have linux looking very spiffy quite readily today. KDE
looks quite nice. :)

And yes, I'm out from under my rock. It was so nice and cool under there.
Hehehehe.

: >Now the latest rationalisation is on linux helpers not being in
: >magazines. => Magazines are no more than an overpriced .... garbage,
: >garbage....
:
:       Well, they are for the most part. Just ask some of the
:       Byte affianados here. I doubt you will see much respect
:       for the other elements of the popular media here either.

Well, be specific. A lot of these popular media magazines do have windows
helpers. When linux gains a wider user base among consumers and is
featured more heavily in this media type, including helpers, I guess that
you'll have a different opinion right?

:       Feel free to dispense with the ZD publications at your liesure.

Only Ziff Davis?!!

:       Decided to go back to your rock I see...

Yes, for now. As I said it's nice, cool and secure. Don't you have one of
your own? :) <sigh>

--
A Hobbyist.

I use what works best for me and not what works best
for others.

------------------------------

From: Mike Roda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: Non-Windows digital cameras?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:33:15 -0400

I use a SCSI PC Card reader on my Linux desktop system.  All you have to
do is plug a CompactFlash or SmartMedia card into it (with an adapter)
and mount it as an msdos filesystem.  Since the card reader is SCSI, you
don't need any special drivers, it looks like a regular disk to the OS.

Mike

------------------------------

From: {$graham$}@microphoneDOT.prestel.co.uk (Graham Harris)
Subject: Second LAN card
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:56:37 GMT

I had Redhat Linux 5.0 running fine with a single ne1000 (irq3, 300h,
10base2). I can oing it, telnet to it etc.

I want to use linux to bridge between my 10base2 segment and a 10baseT
segment which has nothing on it except my ISDN switch. I'd buy a hub
except I want linux to provide proxying too.

So I installed a second LAN card: ne2000 clone, irq9, 320h, 10baseT.
I've tried telling Linux about it through: LILO command line,
/etc/lilo.conf and /etc/conf.modules. I can get it to be recognised,
ifconfig says it's active.

But now, I can't ping the ne1000 from the 10base2 segment any more.
Any ideas please?

--
Graham Harris
Equinus- Today's Business & Technology Consultancy for the Travel industry

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:29:57 -0400

Myc wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:48:09 -0700, Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> Um, just to jump into the fray here...
>
> I've been attempting to get both linux and win98 to co-exist
> peacefully on my computer for the past few days, and based on my
> experience with both, it seems that for the truly uninitiated niether
> OS is really easy to install. PnP under windows doesn't always work
> flawlessly, and not every newbie is going to be able to find,
> download, and install drivers and patches for any given hardware. On
> the other hand, I thought that redhat had very little problems in
> terms of driver detection and usage (modprobe is quite nice imho), but
> was more difficult in terms of 'low-level' things, like drive
> partitioning, bootloaders, etc.

I think driver detection depends on your distro, actually.  Red Hat gave
me all kinds of problems on my first install (not finding or being able to
use my CD-ROM, for example) that I didn't have for Windows (95, not 98).
And I've already explained about my winprinter more than enough times. :)
Driver installation might be easier for Windows, though.  (It was my
understanding that 98 was able to scan your hardware and determine what
you needed and download it for you, but I guess that was just marketing
hype. :))  I think the "low-level" things like partitioning and boot
loaders is really what puts Linux out of the reach of newbies.  I'll tell
you this much:  Sometimes the solution to getting hardware to work
properly under Linux is tweaking the kernel.  That's definitely not a task
for the faint of heart.  And "Have someone help you do it" is definitely
not the right answer for an OS.  That stuff just needs to get easier under
Linux.  In terms of Windows, the most I've ever had to do to get a driver
working on the system is download it, run the executable, and reboot.
That's a much easier process.  (Admittedly, I've never had to go through
the driver difficulties others have.  With the exception of drivers for my
digital camera, which was very flaky in the first NT release, but fine in
the 2.x release, everything has worked fine.)

> As far as the support issue goes, have you ever tried to call MS
> support? hahaha. Linux support might take a bit of effort to locate,
> but it's all there; usenet, webpages, IRC, mailing lists, etc. There
> has yet to be a problem for linux where I have been unable to find a
> solution to, one way or another, while I still can't figure out why
> netscape crashes in windows sometimes (well, I know WHY, I don't know
> how :) heck, I was even able to find docs on how to get unsupported
> hardware (unsupported in my distro) to work on linux, and the typical
> windows support answer is, your hardware is too old, upgrade it, or
> the hardware is unsupported, don't use it.

"The hardware is unsupported.  Don't use it.", is just the sort of thing
you'll hear if you have a winmodem or a winprinter.  (I've been able to
get my winprinter to print ascii files, but not WordPerfect or Netscape
files, and certainly not in color.)  As far as there being a web page for
everything, and good documentation for Linux, I just haven't found that to
be true.  Much of the instructions I've found in Usenet or howtos have
been incomplete or incorrect.  And some of the problems I've had are
almost impossible to diagnose through the cryptic error messages Linux
reports.  You're essentially at the mercy of Linux veterans, hoping that
they'll help you.  (Unfortunately, that's a dicey proposition.  You're
more likely to get "RTFM" or a link to a webpage that you've already
looked at (and failed to understand) than real help.

> I think one reason windows is so popular with the general public is
> because OEM's preinstall windows on so many off-the-shelf systems. If
> some OEM (and some do now) pre-installed something like Caldera or
> SuSE (with KDE) or RedHat (with GNOME), so that my grandmother can
> take the box home, plug it in, and can start surfing the web and
> reading her e-mail almost immediately, linux would give windows a run
> for it's money.

If that's all Grandma wants to do, Linux would probably work just fine.
Then again, Windows would work just fine, too.  Web browsing and email are
simple enough tasks that the OS doesn't matter.  But if you ever expect
her to be able to install additional software on the machine, better
explain compiling and running makefiles to Grandma. ;)

> There's no doubt that it's techincally superior (# of
> reboots to re-install windows: 4, additional disks needed, 4. # of
> reboots to re-install redhat:1, additional disks needed, none. Which
> OS do YOU want to re-install today?),

That's depending on how trashed the installation gets and whether or not
Linux can recognize your CD-ROM with the install image kernel.  If your
CD-ROM isn't recognized and bootable, if you don't have a boot disk and
the CD-ROM contents installed somewhere on your hard drive, you're
screwed.

> and with software like
> Enlightenment, KDE, and GNOME, it's also easy to use and it looks much
> better too! Did I mention that linux is basically free?!? You can
> easily imagine that somewhere down the road, these GUI's will be
> stable and advanced enough such that a distro can be made that only
> has a GUI, and the console is locked away, only for the sysadmin to
> use. In fact, redhat 6 is very close to this ideal.  The only
> difference would be the amount of software available, and that can
> (and is) changing rapidly as well.

I think that's an admirable goal.  I don't see why installation has to go
through the console now for most programs.  All of that stuff should be
tucked away from the user.  Double-click on a file and it should install
your program.  That's how easy it needs to be for Linux to claim
ease-of-use as an OS, and we're not there yet.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Alter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:32:54 -0400

Hi,
    I bought a P5A-B from Asus about 3 months ago that came with a program
called PC Probe on the utilities CD. It lets me see the fan rpm, CPU and M/B
temps in Windowss. I wouldn't  be surprised if there is such a  program for
the P2B.
Jan Alter

From: Dave Weis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Real Player 5.0
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 07:15:03 -0500

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Larry Barlow wrote:
> I had RealPlayer 5.0 working under RH 5.1.  When I upgraded to RH 6.0 it was
> broken.  I saw the workaround on RedHat's support page.  I can get it to work
> with this workaround.  The workaround consisted of loading some old libraries.
> I put the workaround in a shell script called rvplayer and renamed the rvplayer
> executable.  This works in all instances except when it is used as a plugin by
> Netscape.  It executes and bring up the player window but does not find the
> audio stream.

at the end of the script where you call the old rvplayer, did you put any
command line arguments after it, like

oldrvplayer $@

If you don't do that, the program can't get the url of the stream.

djweis

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231

When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Sixth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment and I can't say anything.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Kowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Question
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:45:16 GMT

I am a newbie to Linux.  I have it running on my IBM ThinkPad 380ED.
Everything runs great and I am actually using linux more than Windoze.  I do
have one question.  The only way for me to dial out on my modem right now is
that I must log in as Root.  My "normal" user can't use the modem.  Any
suggestions?  Do i need to Chown a certain file? Help is always appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John)
Subject: NETWORK   EQUIPMENT
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:13:42 GMT

NETWORK  EQUIPMENT

Brand New  Equipment  -  Located in Toronto  -   Prices in US Dollars

MFG        DESCRIPTION                                       PRICE $US

Bay       XLR 1104 FX-R 4p 100FX Ethernet          $ 2999
Cisco     Catalyst 2900 series XL 16 port                   1999
SEAGATE    Backup Exec for Netware V4.0               349
Sytos      Premium for OS/2                         150
Pervasive  SQL 7 Sever 20 user                                1099
Palindrome Storage Manager for netware                   450
Goldmine   Goldmine for Win95                              149
LightPulse PCI Host Adapter                                       370
Mylex      DAC960SX Ext Raid controller                   1999
Velocity   4400 AGP No TV video Card                         99
SCO        Unixware                                                999

------------------------------

From: "Niels Bleijswijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 14:47:09 +0200

Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7Ivh3.7260$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hi, there
>
> I am looking for it for a long time. Please help me if someone know it.
> thanks.

As far as I know you can't hook an WINmodem to an Linux system. Do yourself
a fafour and buy a  *real* modem, any external modem will do.

Niels.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Accton Cheetah (EN1207 Card) NIC
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:29:32 GMT

Does anybody know if the latest tulip module will handle this?  It is
a 10/100 PCI card.  I have read that as of rh 5.2, there wasn't
anything.

I have Mandrake 6.0 (2.2.9-15 kernel I think) and when I try to
configure the card with the it fails.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Help: AHA-2940 not detected
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:09:03 GMT

Hi,

Having problems getting my Adaptec AHA-2940 (Ultra Wide, I think) card
to work under Red Hat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.36).

On machine 'A':

                Bios message ok
                External SCSI drive found ok
                Non-conflicting IRQ assigned ok
                Works under Win95, works under Linux 5.1 (2.0.36)
                Can mount the drive, read, write, etc. etc.

On machine 'B', however:

                Bios message ok
                External SCSI drive found ok
                Non-conflicting IRQ assigned ok
                Linux 5.1 (2.0.36) reports:
                  scsi : 0 hosts.
                  scsi : detected total.
                No Win95 or Win98 to test Windows detection.

Of course, I need the SCSI card working in machine 'B' (which is a P90
with an AMIBIOS, by the way).  I've tried switching IRQs, PCI slots and
so on, but nothing seems to make Linux see the card.

Any help gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Matt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrzej Popowski)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:01:52 GMT

10 Jul 1999 07:08:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
wrote:

>  However, I have come to accept that it is a synchronous bus that matters,
>  not synchronized CPUs.  It seems to be reasonable now, but when I first
>  heard it suggested, I had a very suspicious gut reaction.

I checked synchronous in my eyklopedia. It says synchronous means the
same frequency or multiple of some frequency, where there is no
changing phase between objects.

I would say the setup is asynchronous, if CPUs had diffrent clock
circiuts and there were some buffer between them to accomodate for
data exchange. One clock circuit meens for me, that all chips working
with this clock are synchronous: PCI, AGP, ISA, memory and both CPUs.
It does not mean that all chips work with the same frequency.

Andrzej Popowski

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pierre Royal)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal Modem
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:31:37 GMT

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:22:41 +0530, "Asim Shankar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have an internal ISA Plug-N-Play USRobotics 33.6Kbps FAX modem.
>I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
>
>How do I get the modem working in Linux??
>
>I retrieved some info from the Windows' Device Manager, namely the IO
>addresses and IRQ for the modem, if that helps. It's also assigned COM3 in
>Windows.
>
>IO - 03E8-03EF
>IRQ - 5
>
>Please tell me how to get this modem functional for Kppp etc.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- Asim Shankar

Make sure that your BIOS is set for non PnP OS. I have a USR 56K PnP
and do not have any problem with it and COL 2.2 since I changed that
setting.

Pierre Royal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JLKirkham)
Date: 10 Jul 1999 13:48:19 GMT

>doesn't mean that Linux is a good system for a beginner to upgrade to (or even
start out with)

I'd have to disagree - much better to start out "hands on" and understand
what's going on rather than watch the pretty pictures and never be able to fix
it when it breaks (and you know it's gonna break).

>As it is, too much of the hardware driver problems are self-service issues for
it to be worth it for newbies.

I'll agree to a point - a total newbie like my mom (get-a-cluebie) wouldn't
know what to do with a driver problem.  They'd be better off having friends or
family who does know what they're doing or buying a system ready to go.  But
that's not unique to Linux, I'd say the same thing about win95/98 and probably
any other OS or system.

>But for someone who has no interest in computers as a hobby, it's much more
important to just fire up the PC, get what
>you need to do done, and get out.  In many cases, that's easier to do with
Windows than Linux.

???sounds like people who have more dollars than sense, if you ask me, in which
case they get what they deserve.  You're describing my mother, who comes and
sits in front of my computer after I've opened a program, does what she needs
to do, and then I format it and save it for her.  She has no business owning a
computer, and she knows it.

>Instant gratification is the entire point

As I said, more dollars than sense... people with this attitude more often than
not get what they deserve.

>As I've said before, computers are tools to make our lives easier.

So are curling irons, sewing machines, and timing lights.  And if you don't
know how to work them and aren't willing to learn, you have no business buying
one.

>I don't think it's a monopoly in a conventional sense.

Janet Reno may disagree with you...

>No one is forced at gunpoint to use Windows

No, but how many people's jobs depend on it?

Jana
Wherever you go, there you are.