Linux-Hardware Digest #723, Volume #12           Fri, 21 Apr 00 15:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: NOOOOOOoooo!!! Bastards! ("Thomas J. Canich")
  Re: Can't find Cdrom (Michael Kelly)
  Suse6.4 and Starting in X..? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Yamaha 8424S and Buslogic BT-930 problem (Bow-Yaw Wang)
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? ("Lien-Fei (Alex) Chu")
  Re: Software Patents, Public Domain Microprocessors -- Links (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Help!  Need driver for Trident Cyberblade /i7 ("Frank A. Gerbode")
  Linux on TI89/92? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? (Andreas Koch)
  Kernel 2.3.99-pre5, ISAPnP and SB-AWE64 issue (Cihl)
  smart&friendly CDR problems - please help (shie erlich)
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? (JEDIDIAH)
  Newbie: Pls advise install Mandrake 7 on K6-2/350 +UMAX SCSI scanner (Michael Badt)
  Re: Linux on Inspiron (Peter Stein)
  problem with 3c503 with Redhat 6.2 (Fox Holt)
  Re: Adaptec 19160 Ultra 160 (Thayer Andrews)
  Re: Suse6.4 and Starting in X..? (Peter T. Breuer)
  Re: Suse6.4 and Starting in X..? (Peter T. Breuer)
  Re: Linux on RS6000 ? ("Reid Sutherland")
  Re: gateway EV900 (jwk)

From: "Thomas J. Canich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NOOOOOOoooo!!! Bastards!
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:10:57 -0400

i seem to recall reading somewhere (probably on slashdot) that they are
software, but that linux, et al will be supported.  So it's bad and good
at the same time.

tom

"If you can't win on the scoreboard, hit them with your fists."
                --Mike, on the penguins losing to the islanders

------------------------------

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't find Cdrom
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:28:43 -0400

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:09:50 -0600, Bryan Yablonski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have just got the storm linux from the Maximum mag tried to install
>but couldn't find my backpack cd Rom hooked up through lpt 1.  Can any
>one help me ?????

I'm not familiar with storm, but assuming you have another OS such
as Windows to access the CD you might check the images for an
"extra" hardware disk or some disk with a bunch of modules for use
by the kernel on the boot disk.  It may have support to install from
your CD drive.. but it's just conjecture on my part.  The other thing
you can try if that doesn't work is to copy an image while on the
other OS and try installing from the image on the hd if you have
the space.

Check
www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO
and of course the storm website for install from hd info.
(And if you're lucky you'll get a better answer here than
mine. :) )

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Suse6.4 and Starting in X..?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:30:07 GMT

Does anyone know how suse determines which runlevel to start with? I did
an install with Yast2, and I booting straight into X. I checked inittab
and it shows run level 3 ?? is there some other file telling it to start
X ???

TIA,
Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bow-Yaw Wang)
Subject: Yamaha 8424S and Buslogic BT-930 problem
Date: 21 Apr 2000 16:05:20 GMT

Greetings,

Has anyone succeeded in using cdrecord-1.8.1a6 with Yamaha 8424S and
BT-930? My linux-2.3.99-pre5 box recognizes the CD-RW drive
correctly. However, if I execute the line

cdrecord -v dev=0,2,0 -speed=8 -data -dummy <disk_image>

the system always hangs. But when I use the option -V to get the trace
of SCSI commands, it goes through. Any suggestion?

Also, what speed people are using? And should I close the sector
size pins at back of the CD/RW driver? What is the best settings for
SCSI bus? I'm using asynchronous transfer mode, untagged queue and no
error recovery now.

Thanks,

Bow-Yaw

------------------------------

From: "Lien-Fei (Alex) Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:25:42 -0400

I would recommand SCSI over IDE. I think SCSI is more easier to
configure... Advandage? More stable and easier to configure. I am not an
advance Linux user and I had no problem getting my SCSI CD-Rom and CD-RW to
work.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Software Patents, Public Domain Microprocessors -- Links
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:28:08 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Mark S. Bilk would say:
>In article <8do285$raf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>David Steinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>The link in David Steinberg's .sig sent me on an interesting
>journey, which I'd like to share with others who may not be
>familiar with some of this information.  Thanks, David!
>
>The microprocessor designs of opencores.org -- at least the
>one I looked at -- are licensed under the GPL.  I'm not sure
>about the others -- openip.org and free-ip.com -- so I don't
>know if improvements to them have to be given back to the
>community.  Therefore a link to the FSF website about such
>issues is included before that section.
>
>Apparently GNU/Linux has been ported to the OpenCores RISC
>processor, and they're also working on various I/O and memory
>chips, so eventually, it will be possible to use a computer
>that's Open Source down to the chip microcode and circuitry!

This is a _most_ interesting project.

The claim is that for about $300, they can actually _supply_
working, populated motherboards.

If that merely buys you something equivalent to a wimpy Pentium,
that is, on the one hand, not all that impressive, economically,
at this point in time.

Nonetheless, if it be a "free" core, and this _beginning_ is
usefully powerful, the increase coming from both added efforts
and added quantities can lead to something better and cheaper.
--
Actually, typing random  strings in the Finder does  the equivalent of
filename  completion.    (Discussion  in  comp.os.linux.misc   on  the

------------------------------

From: "Frank A. Gerbode" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help!  Need driver for Trident Cyberblade /i7
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:45:48 -0700

Thanks to Rod Smith and Jim Harvey for their helpful responses to my query.

I have been able to get it to work with XF86_SVGA version 3.3.6, albeit
imperfectly.

I found that I had to do ctrl-alt + a couple of times to get to a mode that
worked.

--Frank

--
Frank A. Gerbode, M.D. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
1450 Nut Tree Lane

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux on TI89/92?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:23:45 GMT

The TI-89 and TI-92[+] are graphing calculators based on M68k processors(the
M68000). Noting that there is a port of Linux to the M68k line ofprocessors,
I was wondering if it is possible to get Linux on this one.Protected memory
may be a problem (does the M68000 have _enforcable_protected memory?), as
might be process switching and other low-levelthings. I have, however, come
up with a few ideas:* The LCD is a memory-mapped device. For more details on
how the LCDworks, see (I think) ti89.acz.org (if not that, go to acz.org and
findthe TI89 page).* There exists an open-source kernel called TEOS that you
can findsomewhere at ticalc.org. It is definately not Linux, but you can look
atit to see how some things are done.* The M68000 knows about interrupts, and
ti89.acz.org documents some ofthese interrupts. Obviously Linux would have to
install its owninterrupt handlers, and keep any processes from setting
handlers oftheir own. This may require virtualizing the processor (see
below).* Task switching could be handled by an interrupt handler. It would
haveto save the PC and registers (these are on the stack when the handler
iscalled), and then push back onto the stack the PC and registers for thenew
process before the RTE instruction.* To provide the process security normally
associated with Linux'sstability, it may be necessary to virtualize the
processor. The extentof this virtualization can vary, but what I'm thinking
about is a codepre-scanner like FreeMWare's (but of course for the M68k) that
wouldsearch a block of code for potentially restricted operations
beforeallowing it to execute. Yes this would slow things down significatly.
Ifthere is a protected mode in the M68000 that I am not aware of, thennever
mind -- that could probably do it. (Yes I know there is protectedmemory, but
simply setting one bit in one memory location turns this off.)* The keypad
will be difficult, but by no means the limiting factor.TI's AMS uses the 2nd,
diamond, shift, and alpha keys to extend thekeypad, and Linux can do the
same. It is possible to type on the keypadat a decent speed, though it is
rather difficult. We would have to findsome key combination that would act
like CTRL, ALT (META), TAB, etc.(there are already F-keys).* Simple
framebuffer for the LCD.* Link is a network adapter.It would be really neat
if we could do this. Contact me at kcarnold <at>yahoo (dot) com for comments,
suggestions, etc.Kenneth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:54:37 +0200

Michael O'Reilly schrieb:

> This is not a Linux specific question but I do have a dual boot Win95/RH
> 6.1 system. I would like to add a CD-RW drive, and I'm wondering what
> the pros and cons of IDE vs. SCSI drives are. Is there any significant
> adavantage of one over the other?

Afaik,
Only con of SCSI: costs more.
EIDE tends to be more unstable, have lower tranfer rates when
transfering from one disk to an other, less suited for software-RAID,
limited to 2 devices/controller, etc.

By the way: I only use EIDE, because the cost of SCSI isn't worth the
benefit, at least with my budget.
As SCSI-CDRWs aren't pricier than EIDEs (unlike all other devices),
SCSI would be the only choice if you allready had a controller.

                                                             Andreas

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.3.99-pre5, ISAPnP and SB-AWE64 issue
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:56:42 GMT

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had tried the kernel mentioned
above, or any one of the pre-kernels. I have the following
problem:

I noticed that these new kernels have built in
ISAPnP-support. This is of course a nice advance for any
owner of the above soundcard, and normal sound works very
well with no extra configuration whatsoever.
The problem is, however, that i can't seem to get
midi-support to operate at all!
In the kernel config i've compiled sb support, awe wave
support, and generic opl3-support.

I've manually loaded a soundfont-bank with sfxload. (from
the Windhose-installation, i might add)
The playmidi-command on the console returns an error saying:
"playmidi: no playback device found" and the midi-players in
KDE won't start at all.
I don't see any errors in the boot-sequence, though, and i
can't find out what i'm doing wrong.

I've included some output from dmesg:

Almost at the top it says:

isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Calling quirk for 01:00
ISAPnP: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
isapnp: Calling quirk for 01:02
isapnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64 PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

And a bit further down it says:

YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen,
Rob Hooft 1993-1996
ISAPnP reports AWE64 WaveTable at i/o 0x620
<SoundBlaster EMU8000 (RAM512k)>
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen
1993-1996
sb: Creative SB AWE64 PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative SB AWE64 PnP' at i/o 0x220, irq
5, dma 1, 5

And that's it! No error messages. It all looks fine to me.
Does anyone have any clues on this? I've read howto's,
kernel documentation and so on, but i couldn't find anything
on the subject.
Should i report this as a bug or am i just being stupid?

--
% make fire
Don't know how to make fire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (shie erlich)
Subject: smart&friendly CDR problems - please help
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:09:26 GMT

hi,
 i have a smart&friendly 2006plus CDR. it is SCSI and works with an
ADAPTEC isa2scsi host adapter (model 152x i think).
although i'm not a linux-newbie anymore, i can't seem to make my
system recognize the CDR.
i'm using RedHat 6.1

                        can anyone help ??

                                thankx in advance,
                                        shie erlich

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:03:06 GMT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:54:37 +0200, Andreas Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Michael O'Reilly schrieb:
>>
>> This is not a Linux specific question but I do have a dual boot Win95/RH
>> 6.1 system. I would like to add a CD-RW drive, and I'm wondering what
>> the pros and cons of IDE vs. SCSI drives are. Is there any significant
>> adavantage of one over the other?
>
>Afaik,
>Only con of SCSI: costs more.

        ...2x or more Gig for Gig...

>EIDE tends to be more unstable, have lower tranfer rates when
>transfering from one disk to an other, less suited for software-RAID,
>limited to 2 devices/controller, etc.

        4x SCSI writers are in the $100 range these days.

[deletia]

        Are you familiar with any brands/models that one should simply
        stay away from? I might get a faster (non-ide) burner the way
        prices are shaping up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Badt)
Subject: Newbie: Pls advise install Mandrake 7 on K6-2/350 +UMAX SCSI scanner
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:45:05 GMT

Hello,
I've ordered Mandrake 7 that I plan to install on my 64 MB ASUS P5A-B
MB/ AMD K6-2/350 (currently running MS Win98).
I would appreciate advice regarding installing Linux on my
slave/second (older) 1.3G HD as a second OS (I still need MS) with
particular reference to:
1.      How to install and configure my UMAX Astra 600S (SCSI) scanner
(unknown, cheap ISA SCSI adaptor)?
2.      Does the AMD/ASUS dictate any patches or "treatment"?
3.      I currently have a 56.6 USR Winmodem. I'm aware it won't work
under Linux but I wish to keep it in the PC (till I buy a
non-winmodem) to retain MS connectivity. Any problems?

To complete the hardware picture the PC also includes:
1.      ASUS S-400 (X40) CD drive
2.      ATI RAGE IIC 8MB AGP graphic card+15" MAG monitor
3.      Creative PCI 64V sound card
4.      HP 690C DeskJet printer

Currently the PC is not connected to a network (no NIC).

Thanks a lot !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Linux on Inspiron
Date: 21 Apr 2000 18:21:08 GMT

>I'm looking to get a new Inspiron and would like some opinions:
>
>Which is easier to useon the eyes, the 1400x1050 15" screen or the
>1280x1024 15.4" screen? Since my external monitor (NEC 6FG) may not
>handle the 1400x1050 mode, I'd probably run it in 1280x1024 mode.
>
>Does the Xircom 10/100 Modem/Lan card work properly?
>
>Besides more disk and the 15.4" screen, are there any other
>differences between the 5000 and the 7500.

The 7500 can accomodate IBM's 25 GB drive. That's noteworthy not
for the capacity, but for the 25 GB drive's 5400 RPM.

Dell is charging very high prices for upgrades so anything that
you can upgrade yourself you should. The most glaring example is
memory, but disk drives have very inflated costs as well.

I'm in the market for a laptop as well and am leaning towards a
7500, but I would buy it barebones (32 MB, 6 GB) and upgrade the
memory and disk. Right now I'm in a holding pattern though since
there are rumoured product announcements (700 Mhz SpeedStep,
ATI 128 w/16 MB, etc.).

Peter Stein

From: Fox Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with 3c503 with Redhat 6.2
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:30:02 GMT

when my computer boots and starts the network service. It fails, and says
delaying eth0 initialization. I have rebuilt the kernel with the 3c503
module included.  this did not help.  Some of the programs like linuxconf
and kernel configurator reports the card but in the proc file system I can
not find the card.  This card has worked under 5.2, 6.0, and 6.1.  I have
tried everything. Help please!

From: Thayer Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 19160 Ultra 160
Date: 21 Apr 2000 18:34:46 GMT

I can't speak for the 29160 or 39160 but I just built a
system using the 19160 running RH 6.1 and it works fine
using the AIC-7xxx driver (I think I got the module name
right).  So far I've had no problems under linux or win98.

-Thayer

G Gaines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Not certain about Redhat 6.2 but I have found a way to get my Adaptec
: 39160 Ultra 160 to run under SuSe 6.3

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> Howdy,
:>
:> Does anyone know whether Red Hat 6.2 has support for this SCSI
:> controller: Adaptec 19160 Ultra 160?  I read a press release that
:> indicates that Linux these type of controllers but was not specific.
:>
:> Thanks in advance,
:>
:> Kent
:>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Subject: Re: Suse6.4 and Starting in X..?
Date: 21 Apr 2000 20:41:16 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Does anyone know how suse determines which runlevel to start with? I did
: an install with Yast2, and I booting straight into X. I checked inittab
: and it shows run level 3 ?? is there some other file telling it to start

3 is the X runlevel in SuSE. 2 is text.

: X ???

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Date: 21 Apr 2000 20:42:13 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Does anyone know how suse determines which runlevel to start with? I did
: an install with Yast2, and I booting straight into X. I checked inittab
: and it shows run level 3 ?? is there some other file telling it to start
: X ???

  # /sbin/init.d/rc takes care of runlevel handling
  #
  # runlevel 0 is halt
  # runlevel S is single-user
  # runlevel 1 is multi-user without network
  # runlevel 2 is multi-user with network
  # runlevel 3 is multi-user with network and xdm
  # runlevel 6 is reboot

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Reid Sutherland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on RS6000 ?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:01:01 -0400

I believe IBM has a distribution for the RS6000, they're going all out
linux. Call them and ask.

Reid

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: gateway EV900
Date: 21 Apr 2000 19:06:34 GMT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:58:26 -0400, jbogle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can Anyone help me. I am looking for the drivers or the compatible drivers
>for a Gateway Monitor the model is EV900. Up to now I can only find generic
>one that only allow me to run in 640 pixels. I am running Linux 6.0. Please
>help.

You'll need to know what graphics card you have and the specifications
for your monitor. Then use the setup-program which your distribution
provides. What distribution this is is another question, since Linux 6.0
is not an existing distribution IIRC.

You might also check http://www.dejanews.com - lots of people have had
this problem (and reveiced ansers!) before.

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
Before advising "Be yourself!" reassess his character.
Linux 2.2.15pre17 SMP 5 users load av: 0.59 0.70 0.51