From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: hp 25525A driver anyone?????
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:17:02 GMT

I have an HP 25525A EISA differential SCSI card and I really would like
to use it on my linux box but I need drivers for it.  Can anyone help me
please.???????

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 13 Jul 1999 00:04:34 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:57:38, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv) wrote:

> On 10 Jul 1999 01:27:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
> wrote:
>
> >Not to be agrumentative but ...
> >
> >  From webster's dictionary:
>
> Did you look up "bus" too?  How about "spam"?
>
> Do you think that just maybe these books can lag or not reflect
> accepted real-world definitions?

Hmm, twenty (mumble), years ago when I was in EE school,
"synchronous" meant a common clock.  I can see how an english-lit
major (EEs don't write dictionaries) would make the jump to a
"common frequency". A common clock can mean just about anything,
other than *two* clocks independant clocks. One can be
"synchronous" at any real number (integer-n/integer-m) multiple
of the common clock. This is *not* a small detail!

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: 13 Jul 1999 00:06:08 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:02:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Hill)
wrote:

> On 10 Jul 1999 19:37:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:
> >On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:55:04, "Dean Kent"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> The Pentium MMX is significantly faster than the non-MMX processor (enough
> >> to notice).   This is due solely to a 32K L1 cache vs. a 16K L1 cache.
> >
> >There were other enhancements Intel threw into the P55C over the
> >P54C. I think you'll find the P55C a tad faster even neglecting
> >the differences in the L1 size.
>
>       This is true, though the enhancements were mostly just tweaks
> more then anything much you can really point a finger at.  Branch
> prediction was apperently the only other fairly notable change.

True, but facts are.

> >Homework for Dean: Benchmark a P54C vs. a P55C with the L1 cache
> >disabled. I think you'll see a difference between them. It'll be
> >small, but still a difference. I'd do it, but I no longer have
> >any P54Cs. Maybe I can borrow one.
>
>       Hmm, you could try that, but I suspect that all you'll find is
> that they're both dog slow! :>  Unfortunatley without any L1 cache,
> processors have a tendancy to simply grind to a halt!  I remember
> seeing one or two people planning on trying this at some point, until
> they found out that it would take several weeks to run a decent set of
> benchmarks :>

I think that problem has been found. ;-)

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:16:56 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

Keith R. Williams wrote in message ...
>On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:02:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Hill)
>wrote:
>
>> On 10 Jul 1999 19:37:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:

>> >There were other enhancements Intel threw into the P55C over the
>> >P54C. I think you'll find the P55C a tad faster even neglecting
>> >the differences in the L1 size.
>>
>> This is true, though the enhancements were mostly just tweaks
>> more then anything much you can really point a finger at.  Branch
>> prediction was apperently the only other fairly notable change.
>
>True, but facts are.
>
>> >Homework for Dean: Benchmark a P54C vs. a P55C with the L1 cache
>> >disabled. I think you'll see a difference between them. It'll be
>> >small, but still a difference. I'd do it, but I no longer have
>> >any P54Cs. Maybe I can borrow one.
>>
>> Hmm, you could try that, but I suspect that all you'll find is
>> that they're both dog slow! :>  Unfortunatley without any L1 cache,
>> processors have a tendancy to simply grind to a halt!  I remember
>> seeing one or two people planning on trying this at some point, until
>> they found out that it would take several weeks to run a decent set of
>> benchmarks :>
>
>I think that problem has been found. ;-)

Heh... I couldn't run Winstone 99 on either one with L1 disabled - it simply
timed out on the first test.  I was able to run Winbench 99 on both of them,
however.   I tested with both L1/L2 disabled, only L1 disabled, only L2
disabled, and with both enabled

I am not sure whether the Winbench scores mean a whole lot in terms of what
you would see in the 'real world', but I am sort of puzzled by the results.
The CPUMark results show a 10% improvement in the MMX vs. non-MMX processor
(I used a 166MHz) with all caches disabled.   The rest of the results I am
still puzzling over... I'm not even sure they are valid...

BTW - it only took about 30 hours... ;-)

Regards,
    Dean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dev's won't work???
Date: 12 Jul 1999 22:48:30 GMT

On 12 Jul 1999 01:07:20 GMT,
 Ron Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a strange problem and I'm not exactly sure where to start.  I
> just recently down loaded the latest Slackware off Sunsite and when
> trying to get my old data from a previous install archive to tape I
> discovered that several "dev"'s will not work.
>
> For instance invoking commands such as "ftape" or "fd0" I get a no such
> device message.  However when viewing the directory with MC the devices
> and or links are there and they have been made.

Those are not commands, they are devices.

Just what would you expect executing /dev/fd0 to do?

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What about DVD Drives ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:28:49 -0500

I have a creative labs pcdvd encore 5x (i believe the "6x" version is out now)
which works fine as a cdrom.

------------------------------

From: "kryliss" <kryliss_at_navix.net>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp btw mac and linux-pc without ethernet
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:30:44 -0500

Here you go man try this.

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

news:7mcg52$fgd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "kryliss" <kryliss_at_navix.net>
Subject: Re: Sound and Mouse in Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:24:03 -0500

I'm not sure about the mouse but if you run 'sndconfig' in Mandrake or
Redhat that will take you to the sound card configuration program.

news:7mdfgc$se3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Matrox Millenium G400?????
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:40:18 -0500

I checked the website and it says they have support for it now with 20%-80%
performance increases over the G200

------------------------------

From: "Muuga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:15:16 -0500

Advanced linux system architecture
http://www.alsa-project.org/

I used to have to use OSS for 20 minutes at a time, not anymore!

news:7mdha7$dkv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Karlo Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BP6 w/o overclocking
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:47:55 +1000

> the 300a chips o/c very well.  beyond that, I don't (personally) feel
> comfortable with o/c-ing.
?????????????????????????????

not comfortable??????????

hahahahahahahaha

You need to try it.
Every PC I have had has been o/c.
It just like putting a turbo onto your car.
It's still the same car, but it's a whole lot faster.

o/c doesn't cost you nothing to get a faster cpu.

I have had

386DX33 o/c to 40Mhz
486SX25 o/c to 40Mhz
486DX50 o/c to 66Mhz
P75 o/c to 100Mhz
P100 o/c to 133Mhz
300A o/c to 450 Mhz
336A o/c to 550Mhz

------------------------------

From: "kryliss" <kryliss_at_navix.net>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:50:00 -0500

Just run sndconfig and then go into KDE/GNOME and enable your sounds. I have
the same card and it works fine but I always get the error messages
something about dsp.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 99 20:24:59 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage,comp.os.linux.setup

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Barry Samuels;

 BS> On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:01:43, "Gene Heskett"
 BS> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What 'kdatrc' file?  According to locate, no such file exists on my
>> system.  What generates/installs/configures that?  BTW, setting the
>> prefs in the copy of kdat I have doesn't get saved, no save prefs item
>> exists in the menu's, and no docs apparently exist for KDat.

 BS> The changes made under 'Edit, Preferences' are normally saved
 BS> automatically into the kdatrc file unless you cancel of course.

>> So it would appear.  Does you know whats supposed to be in this 'kdatrc'
>> file, and in what directory it lives?  I have no docs whatsoever on this
>> other than the help pulldown, which is not.

 BS> In your home directory ( /root if you are logged on as root or
 BS> /home/whatever if you are logged on as whatever ) there should be a
 BS> kde directory and as it starts with a dot it will normally be hidden.
 BS>  Under that directory there should also be a share/config/ directory
 BS> path.  For example, /root/.kde/share/config should contain a file -
 BS> kdatrc into which configuration changes are saved.

And by golly, there it is, with a lot more options set that make sense
for this drive.  Lemme fill in the blanks...

=========
 BS> #KDE Config File
 BS> [KDE Setup]
ejectOnUnmount=true
defaultTapeSize=8388608
lockOnMount=true
loadOnMount=true
tapeDevice=mt
[KfileDialogSettings]
ejectOnUnmount=true
defaultTapeSize=8388608
lockOnMount=true
loadOnMount=true
tapeDevice=/dev/tape
tapeBlockSize=512
======EOF

 BS> tapeBlockSize=1024
 BS> tapeDevice=/dev/nst0

Now, I note that there are 2 tapeDevice= statements there, as are most
of the rest of the conf file's statements.  Do I need to fix something
there since with the exception of the tapeDevice, nothing else is
visible in the prefs pulldown when clicked on..

>> Silly Q?  If I can get qt-2.00 to compile, can I just replace 1.42 with it,
>> or do I have to recompile the other 99% the kde stuffs on the planet?

 BS> You may well have to recompile some of the packages on your system.
 BS>
>> In that event, I guess my system is frozen until such time as kde 1.2 is
>> released and installed, which supposedly *might* fix some of this.

 BS> One of the things that I like about Debian is apt-get.  It enables you
 BS> to log on to the the Debian site, tells you which of your installed
 BS> packages have been updated, works out all the dependencies for you,
 BS> downloads and installs it all.  Can't be simpler can it?

I tried to make apt-get work on this amiga for the debian 68k 2.1
release, but it froze the machine everytime.  So I've not tried it on
the intel/AMD box I'm trying to make this drive work on.

Oh, and the drive is still, after an hour, erasing that DDS2 tape in it
after a failed backup attempt.  I'd think it could do it far faster than
that!

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Darryl Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hiding drive from Win 98
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:14:48 +1000

bb wrote:

> I installed Linux on a Win98 machince(drive 2) and then it wasn't displayed,
> so windows 'couldn't find' alot of things because the drive letters changed.
> I then formatted the drives, re-installed win98, then Linux but this time
> windows sees the Linux drive and wants to format it. Both systems work, but
> I would like to hide (or not have windows aknowledge) the Linux drive before
> I have the same problem. Any ideas how to do this?
> TIA, bb

try running tweakUI for 95/98 from the powertools distro, you can use it to
turn off certain drives in in windoze.

is your linux on a separate harddrive or a second partition?, I found if
had hda1 windows and a hda5 for linux, windows will see it, I made the
second partition a primary linux one of hda2, now windows cannot see it, if
a second harddrive make sure there are no extended partitions only linux
partitions, eg; hdb1, hdb2 <hdb5> shows up, delete partition hdb5 and make
it a primary hdb2 partition and so on.

cheers

dAz

------------------------------

From: "kryliss" <kryliss_at_navix.net>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:46:41 -0500

PMPO vs RMS

PMPO stands for peak music power. RMS stands for root, mean,
square. The difference??? PMPO is the wattage that the speaker can
withstand over a very short period. For example 300Watts PMPO means
that a speaker can withstand 300Watts, this period however may only
be for 0.5 of a second. RMS is the sustain wattage that the speaker
is happy running at all day. If you play music loud alot, better to
go for a higher RMS. People usually quote PMPO because it makes
there speakers look good. Remember that a higher RMS or PMPO doesn't
mean that the speaker will sound louder. For a 30Watt RMS speaker to
sound twice as loud you need 10x the wattage to drive it
(amplfication). Look for other things like sensitivity in dB.

Original source
http://www.compware.com.au/tforum/messages/512.html

news:78ti3.13$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gabe Lawton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom mounting? using caldera
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:29:33 -0500

I am using caldera openlinux 2.2.  When i first installed linux it seemed to
recognize the cdrom off and on. Now it wont work at all.  I will be honest i am
new to linux and i have no idea how to mount it.  If you can tell me how to i
would really appreciate it.
thanks gabe

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Curious about root passwd
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:41:22 GMT

Hi,

Thanks, folks. At least I know how to protect my own RH linux box right
now.

But for a LAN which has many clients connecting with a server, will it
be useful if set up the password option in the clients' lilo.conf? Or
should it be set up in the server's lilo.conf?

I think there must be some way to prevent misuse of single in a LAN.

Thanks for your discussion.

From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom mounting? using caldera
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 02:01:42 GMT

Gabe Lawton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am using caldera openlinux 2.2.  When i first installed linux it seemed to
> recognize the cdrom off and on. Now it wont work at all.  I will be honest i am
> new to linux and i have no idea how to mount it.  If you can tell me how to i
> would really appreciate it.
> thanks gabe

   As root, type the following:

   mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

This is assuming two things: (1) the Caldera installation linked /dev/cdrom
to the proper IDE device (OK, three things, the third being you have IDE
drives), (2) the tree /mnt/cdrom exists.  If (1) is not true, determine
where the CD-ROM is located.  The master device on the primary IDE controller
is hda, the slave device on the primary IDE controller is hdb, the master
device on the secondary IDE controller is hdc and the slave device on the
secondary IDE controller is hdd.  Usually, your CD-ROM drive is located on
the master device of the secondary controller.  Hence, it would be /dev/hdc.
If /mnt/cdrom doesn't exist, you can either create it (mkdir /mnt/cdrom) or
you can use /mnt instead.

   Hope this helps,

   Greg H.

--
ROT-13 encoded email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tjaszewski)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:24:48 GMT

ee...hmmm isn't that a poet who took poetic license ?