Linux-Hardware Digest #747, Volume #13           Wed, 18 Oct 00 08:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  brother 1240 (pete)
  Suse 6.4 on IBM Thinkpad A20p ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  floppy and CDROM don't work after HD install (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: ugh,,,another samba question (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
  Sound Card Suggestions ("David N. Haney")
  Re: looking for external scsi hard disk to go with adaptec aha1542cp (M.
Buchenrieder)
  Re: SuSE 7.0 and 3Com 3c509b (achim)
  Re: Sound Card Suggestions ("David ....")
  Re: New Mandrake user needs your help ("Adam Short")
  Newbie question: Problem with the promise Fasttrak66 ("Henrik Lund")
  Re: ISDN routers (Anthony White)
  RH6.0 hangs on 650 Duron KT7-RAID system (Andrew Fielden)
  Fibre Channel/SCSI recommendation ? (Martin Spott)
  HP DeskJet 720C ("Alex Meaden")
  Re: Recommendation (David Evans)
  probleme with modem else (Christophe Beljouani)
  Re: ATA-66? (Kenneth Rørvik)
  3rd etherner card PCI rtl 8159 (pph)
  3rd RTL 8159 PCI (pph)
  Re: brother 1240 (Grant Taylor)

From: pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: brother 1240
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:42:10 +1100

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Brother 1240 laser printer. I see there's a linux
driver so I'm not too worried about getting it to work, but in a few online
reviews I've read some user comments trash the printer's print quality.
Does anyone have any comments about that in this newsgroup?

Thanks,

peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Suse 6.4 on IBM Thinkpad A20p
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:35:31 GMT

Hello,

I have an IBM Thinkpad A20p and want to install Suse 6.4. Installation
works well, but when the laptops boots linux, several services start but
then the laptop hang.
The last lines on the display are:

depmod: *** unresolved symbols in/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/airport.o
depmod: *** unresolved symbols in/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/cpia_pp.o
depmod: *** unresolved symbols in/lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/mpsuni_cs.o
starting syslog services    done
PCMCIA: starting services
PCMCIA: using scheme: SuSE

Do you have any idea? Do I have to do any special setups?
Thank you very much for your help

Hubert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: floppy and CDROM don't work after HD install
Date: 18 Oct 2000 06:43:09 GMT

After installing a new HD, both my floppy and CDROM drives have failed.
Both are getting power.  I have checked the CMOS and cable connections
extensively.

The light on the floppy drive is no longer always on (it was earlier even
though the cable was not reversed), but I still cannot boot from the floppy
and when I try to mount a floppy disk I get this error:

floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...
floppy0: probe failed...

... and so on

When I try and mount a CDROM I get:

mount: no medium found

What I don't understand why both the cdrom and floppy drives would fail at
the same time, it seems like too big of a coincidence.  My fear is that my
new (but previously working) motherboard was damaged somehow when I installed
the new HD.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: ugh,,,another samba question
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:25:33 -0500

When you say your network card is recognized, do you mean by the kernel
at boot time. Or can you see it with 'ifconfig eth0'? If so, make sure
the ifconfig does not contain 'NOARP'. arp is required to associate an
ethernet h/w address (mac) with an IP address. Can you ping another
computer on your network? This will ensure that the card is working and
recognized on your network without using samba. And finally use 'locate
log.smb' and 'locate log.nmb' and examine these logs, they may contain
useful error messages.

Also, are you using static or dynamic IP addresses? If dynamic, one of the
systems on your network must be running DHCP to assign you an IP address.

Use 'arp -v' to see if any other computers on the network have tried
to discover your address.

Beyond that, I am over my head. Maybe over my head already. Hopefully
someone else will help with other things to look at.

------------------------------

From: "David N. Haney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Sound Card Suggestions
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 00:01:22 -0700

Linux Sound Gurus:

I have Linux running on 2 separate computers, and the single component
that does not work on either is SOUND.  On one computer I have
a YAMAHA OPL3-SAX board.  Since "pnpdump" recognizes it, I would think
it would work, but no luck.  On the other computer (Compaq) there
is an on motherboard sound that is ESS 1968 (I think).  While there
are many ESS versions supported, this one does not seem to be one
of them.

I have not found ALSA driver to be of any help with these cards.  In
the latter case (Compaq/ESS) the card does not even work well with
Win98 (consumes way too much CPU or skips like crazy).

I have tried 3 versions of linux: Red Hat, Caldera, TurboLinux and
cant get sound working (I think this is a much harder problem than
SCSI, X video, or other complicated issues).

I am interested in purchasing a sound card that has the following
features:

1. Not too expensive
2. Reasonable performance
3. EASY to get working with Linux

Please suggest some options.  Thank you.

--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: looking for external scsi hard disk to go with adaptec aha1542cp
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:22:10 GMT

Guy Maskall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm aware that the aha1542cp has an 8 bit bus and only supports hard
>drives up to 8GB.
>It appears to be getting difficult to get drives that 'small', indeed
>scsi 2 drives at that.

[...]

Actually, you could burn a new BIOS for the Aha1542 card using the
BIOS file available at the Adaptec website (you'll need access to
an EPROM burner, though). OTOH, it's at least questionable whether
that's really worth it, given the fact that you'd still be left
with a lousy SCSI adapter card that has known busmastering
problems (not to mention that it is extremely sensible to cable
and termination problems). A decent PCI card with a NCR or
Symbios chipset shouldn't be that expensive anymore (they are sold
for roughly USD 50.-- in various outlet stores).

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: achim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 7.0 and 3Com 3c509b
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:22:46 +0200

Hi !

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

> I'm having 100% problems with all my modems and NICs I'm trying to use with
> S.u.S.E. 7.0.  The one I want to work on first is a machine I've got with two
> 3c509b's in it.  It doesn't see either card.  I've tried making sure the Kernel
> compiles with the modules available and then I go through the howto sequence
> for compiling and configuring, but still, no eth0 comes up in dmesg.  I'm still
> whacking away at it, but I hope somebody knows of something fundamental I might
> be doing wrong.

How old is your Motherboard ? You should try to enable/disable in the Bios under
the point PNP AND PCI SETUP (the item of this entry depend from the Motherboard
Manufacturer) the entry PNP OS INSTALLED.

Then you should check the IRQ from the 3com NIC. This IRQ should controled by ISA
(under PNP AND PCI SETUP too).

You can also check your NIC to see the correct function with the tool 3c5x9cfg from
the Driver Disk or from the internet-site from 3com. You can perform a full
function test with a second computer and the same NIC from 3com (see 3c5x9cfg-tool)

bye

------------------------------

From: "David ...." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound Card Suggestions
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:14:23 -0500

"David N. Haney" wrote:

> Linux Sound Gurus:
>
> I have Linux running on 2 separate computers, and the single component
> that does not work on either is SOUND.  On one computer I have
> a YAMAHA OPL3-SAX board.  Since "pnpdump" recognizes it, I would think
> it would work, but no luck.  On the other computer (Compaq) there
> is an on motherboard sound that is ESS 1968 (I think).  While there
> are many ESS versions supported, this one does not seem to be one
> of them.
>
> I have not found ALSA driver to be of any help with these cards.  In
> the latter case (Compaq/ESS) the card does not even work well with
> Win98 (consumes way too much CPU or skips like crazy).
>
> I have tried 3 versions of linux: Red Hat, Caldera, TurboLinux and
> cant get sound working (I think this is a much harder problem than
> SCSI, X video, or other complicated issues).
>
> I am interested in purchasing a sound card that has the following
> features:
>
> 1. Not too expensive
> 2. Reasonable performance
> 3. EASY to get working with Linux
>
> Please suggest some options.  Thank you.

I have a YAMAHA OPL3-SAX sound card in one of my systems and it works
without any problems. In redhat 6.2 I just did an "init 3" which takes
you to a text console then login as root and do "setup" and choose
system configuration/sound configuration. It should find the card and
play how Linus pronounces Linux. then a midi file. Then exit and you can
use "init 5" to get back into X. If you are using Gnome you still have
to turn sound on it the "Gnome configuration tool" also in the
"Desktop/window manager/Run config tool/Sound" section of the "Gnome
config tool" there is a place to turn on sound.

I don't use KDE but hope this helps.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Mandrake user needs your help
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:13:36 +0100

If it works after you type that command and not before then I suggest you
put it in your boot sequence. Its probably not the safest thing to do but
I've never had a problem. Just make sure it comes after anything else about
your NIC. Off hand I can't remember which particular file you need to insert
it into but a quick look through the files in /etc/rc.d should show you some
likely places.

My modem wouldn't work until I issued a setserial command. I bunged the
command in one of the boot files and now its perfect. No messing.

HTH

Adam

news:U1IG5.415$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Henrik Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie question: Problem with the promise Fasttrak66
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:42:10 +0200

Heyya folks

I am running RH 7.0 on a 2gig SCSI hd, but I would like to be able to =
see my raid array (2x 20.5gig). To see the raid I will have to install =
the promise contrl. I have tried the promise drivers but they dosn't =
work on RH 7. What to do ?

Regards=20
=20
=20
Henrik Lund

From: Anthony White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISDN routers
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:04:12 GMT

Retro Grouch wrote:

> Any suggestions for a decent inexpensive router?
>
> I don't need a really good firewall; all I want is an ISDN router that
> will work with a fixed IP number, autodial on power-up, and provide basic
> NAT.
>
> I'vew had great luck with EICON, but I've also had some real problems with
> my Eicon that I think may be due to some subtle interaction between the
> Eicon diva and my telco/ISP.  The 3COM ISDN routers are meant more for the
> home market, so I really don't want to consider those.

If you want a cheap but OK router then look at Netgear.  They
do a decent ISDN router with a 4 port HUB built in if you need that.

It also comes in a version with only one LAN port (Slightly cheaper)

If you want something a bit better then look at Cisco 801.  They can
had at a reasonable price.

A bit more upmarket is the Cisco 1600 but that may be overkill for
you.

Hope this helps

Anthony

Anthony White running RedHat 7 on an AMD Thunderbird 800
E-Mail: anthonyw-at-bigpond-dot-net-dot-au

From: Andrew Fielden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.0 hangs on 650 Duron KT7-RAID system
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:52:00 +0100

System:

RH6.0
Abit KT7-RAID
650 Duron (o/c to 900)
128MB PC-133 SDRAM

Problem:

OS boots ok. After an interval of 5 to 10 minutes the system
completely hangs.
I am not using the RAID controller, just standard IDE controllers
with Segate 30.7GB + a fairly old 1.5GB Fujitsu drive.

Anyone else had similar problems ?

Andrew Fielden. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fibre Channel/SCSI recommendation ?
Date: 18 Oct 2000 08:39:05 GMT

As I'm having lots of trouble with a RAID connected to an Interphase 5526
Fibre Channel card I'd appreciate some recommendation on another Fibre
Channel card for Linux/x86.

Cheers,
        Martin.

From: "Alex Meaden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP DeskJet 720C
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:44:16 +0100

Hi,
Is there any way to get the HP DeskJet 720C printer working properly under
Mandrake 7.1? I have tried using drivers for other HP DeskJets, but none of
them work properly.
TIA,
Alex.

===============
Alex Meaden,
Computer Science BSc Student,
University of Kent at Canterbury.
0771-227-5944

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:28:45 +0100
From: David Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation

olliecat wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a CD burner brand/model that works well under
> linux that they are happy with ?  I want to get one and I would like > it
> work under both Winxx, any flavor of linux, and maybe someday BeOS.

I was wondering something similar myself; I'm running L-M 7.0, Win NT,
with the intention to run Win Me and BeOS in the near future.

I must say I really fancy the look of the Ricoh 24x/6x/4x CD/R/RW with a
x4 speed DVD player combined, but I'm not sure if Linux can handle such
a, let's say exotic device, and, more to the point weather my PII/350
computer with a Voodoo 3000 can handle it as well, or will I need to
upgrade my Graphics card..?

Just wondering...

David.

------------------------------

From: Christophe Beljouani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: probleme with modem else
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:00:20 +0200

Hi,

I hava a problem with my modem (Elsa 56 k pci), the hardware detection
doesn't find it (I use harddrake from Mandrake 7.1). Any idea to make
this modem work ?

Thanks for any help,
Christophe

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ATA-66?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:02:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Dickie) wrote in
<8sir4r$7ki$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi, I have been using Linux for some time now always with Mandrake.  Now
>I have an Fujitsu MPE3084AE which does ATA-66 and comes up in the bios
>and in Linux 2.2 as an udma 66 drive.  Thing is tho I upgraded to 2.4
>kernel and the drive is now reported as a udma 33 in the kernel but
>still 66 in bios.  When I use hdparm -X66 /dev/hdb (My Linux drive is
>slave, can't get rid of good old BeOS) the drive runs fine at that
>speed.  What do I have to do to get ATA-66 to work?  Are there any
>patches to the kernel.

Check to see if you have enabled support for your IDE chipset in the kernel
config. Also enable all DMA-related options..

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: pph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3rd etherner card PCI rtl 8159
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:10:02 -0000

i want to install 4 cards eth0...eth3 on Linux RedHat 6.2 to install a
firewall with 2 in / 2 out

when i put 2 cards, no matter;
with the 3rd card plugged in, there is no more 'ping' to either adresses.

what happens ?

thank you

Pph

From: pph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3rd RTL 8159 PCI
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:10:02 -0000

Problem installing a 3rd ethernet card on Linux 6.2 RedHat.
When i plug the 3rd card in hist slot, then reboot, the 3 cards dont work
anymore (no more ping ...)

I can install it, i see the card 'OK' in ifcong but it dont works.

Anybody knows what happens ?

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: brother 1240
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:36:08 GMT

pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thinking of buying a Brother 1240 laser printer. I see there's a linux
> driver so I'm not too worried about getting it to work, but in a few online
> reviews I've read some user comments trash the printer's print quality.
> Does anyone have any comments about that in this newsgroup?

Nevermind the print quality; the device ships with insufficient memory
for some types of jobs common under Linux, and suffers from the design
flaw that it isn't upgradable.

So don't buy one.

Instead, start from the Suggested Printers page on my website.  There
are several suggestions for reasonable low-cost lasers there.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/