Linux-Hardware Digest #787, Volume #10           Sat, 17 Jul 99 23:13:21 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Sounblaster PCI64V alias ES1373 (Bjarne Nygaard)
  Redhat & i740 ("Nicholas Chung")
  Re: Sound Card Problem (Bjarne Nygaard)
  Re: CD Audio with ES1370 (Bjarne Nygaard)
  Re: Please HELP CD-RW PHILIPS ! (Salvador Pinto Abreu)
  Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0 ("Tim Izod")
  Re: Please HELP CD-RW PHILIPS ! (Salvador Pinto Abreu)
  Re: Please HELP CD-RW PHILIPS ! (Salvador Pinto Abreu)
  Re: FIC PA-2013 IN-compatibility (help!) (Salvador Pinto Abreu)
  AOpen ALN325 PCI Ethernet Card ("Dr. Francisco V. Santacruz S.")
  Xpert98 (Mike)
  System Prompt (Alexander Lem)
  Re: Please HELP CD-RW PHILIPS ! (Salvador Pinto Abreu)
  I have problems with digiboards setup for terminal use with dec (xon/xoff) terminals
("test")
  Re: Sound Card Problem (Greg H)
  Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup. ("Spotillius Maximus aka \"Spot\"")
  Re: Xpert98 (Greg H)
  Re: Linux IRQ oops ("Floydd")
  Re: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa (Kyle Dansie)
  Re: Yamaha DS-XG card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Parallel port zip drive problems... (Kyle Dansie)
  Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions (Mohd H Misnan)

From: Bjarne Nygaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sounblaster PCI64V alias ES1373
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:08:08 +0200

> I bought the above card by mistake because I knew that PCI64 worked, I
> knew a ESS1370/1371 driver was to be used but when I came home I
> realized the chip is ES1373, not the two above.
>
> Is there any way to make this working???

I think I have exactly the same card.
I have not figured out how to use it with the 2.0.x kernels. :(
The 2.2.8 kernel is very easy to configure to use the card.
It works !
If you need more help just ask.

> Thanks for any hint
>
> Jindra [EMAIL PROTECTED]

cu
Bjarne

|             Bjarne Nygaard at home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                |
|          ---this space is not intentionally left blank---            |

From: "Nicholas Chung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat & i740
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:21:17 +1200

I've got an Intel i740 8MB VGA Card, can't get it to run under X-Windows,
always show up the 600x400 windows, can somebody help please!!??
I'm a new boy in Linux...
Thanks.
EMail me [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <
             NICHOLAS CHUNG
  IWEB in Australia & New Zealand
          http://www.iwebtec.com

------------------------------

From: Bjarne Nygaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Card Problem
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:20:23 +0200

Chem-R-Us wrote:

> KERNEL 2.2.10 ON REDHAT 6.0.
>
> Today I picked up a Creative ENSONIQ AudioPCI sound card and installed

This card might be 'PCI64' ?
If so you can compile a kernel to support your card.
I have done that and it performs fine.

> it in my Linux box. I thoroughly folowed the sound-HOWTO three times,
> but I cannot get a peep out of the sound card/speaker.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with this card and how to get
> it working. I don't mind the $35 dollars for the cards, but the speakers
> were pretty expensive. The speakers work, but the card is not sending
> any info to them. Checking /proc/audio shows that nothin is configured.
> Am I missing something?

Yes, I think so. See above.

From: Bjarne Nygaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: Re: CD Audio with ES1370
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:31:02 +0200

Ryan Schwartz wrote:

> I'm in need of assistance getting cd audio out of an Ensoniq 1370 card..
>
> A while back, I installed an additional HD and changed the location of my
> CD-ROM drive on the IDE chain from hdc to hdd. Since then, I get no CD
> audio from the drive. Here are the particulars:
> 1. Sound DOES come out the speaker jack on the front of the drive.
> 2. Sound in general works in X windows- only CD audio is the problem.
> 3. There IS a connection from the drive to the sound card.
> 4. The mixer is set correctly.
> 5. Permissions are set to a+rw on /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom.
> 6. /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/hdd.
> 7. I just upgraded to RH6.0, so kernel probably isn't the problem.
>
> Please Help!  Thanks is advance...
>
> Ryan

>                  http://www.searchlinux.com

You need (I think) a program to open the connection to your soundcard.
Have you connected the thin cable between your CDROM and soundcard ?
To start playing a soundcd I use text only player called 'workbone'.
You can find it the at usual places.

From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please HELP CD-RW PHILIPS !
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:58:06 +0100

ollivier civiol wrote:

> I need help for making my PHILIPS CDRW 400 series to work with linux.
> It is detected by the system (see below DMESG) but I can't access it,
> neither XCROAST nor CDRECORD finds it :-(((
> Please help !!

Hi Olivier, I have a Philips 460 CDRW and it works fine.  From your
dmesg log:

> hdc: PHILIPS PCA460RW, ATAPI CDROM drive
> hdc: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

It seems you have the CDRW available as a regular ATAPI CDROM.  Try
disabling
the kernel support, as it will be made available through the SCSI
emulation.

Excerpt from "make menuconfig":

  x x <*> Normal PC floppy disk
support                                   x x
  x x <*> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy
support             x x
  x x --- Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE
drives    x x
  x x [ ]    Use old disk-only driver on primary
interface                x x
  x x <*>    Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK
support                               x x
  x x < >    Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM
support                              x x
  x x <*>    Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE
support                               x x
  x x <*>    Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY
support                             x x
  x x <*>    SCSI emulation
support                                       x x

Good luck
../salvador

------------------------------

From: "Tim Izod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:33:48 +0100

Michael Benedict wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>kryliss wrote:
>
>> Just run sndconfig and then go into KDE/GNOME and enable your sounds. I
have
>> the same card and it works fine but I always get the error messages
>> something about dsp.

    The answer to this is in the FAQ. You need to compile with the OSS
ompatibility turned on. Do a ./configure --help in the alsa driver directory
to get the options. I seem to remember that wi th 0.3.0 it isn't turned on
by default. Don't know about 0.3.1 or 0.3.2. Check to see whether the module
snd-pcm1-oss is present in lib/modules/2.x.x/misc; if it isn't you'll need
to recompile the drivers with the OSS compatibility turned on.

>I have the same sound card. . .and I was wondering if you have any problems
>with the cdplayer.  I think I have a bad audio cable, but I just get no
sound
>from the cd.  Everything else works fine (cd & sound wise).  Any other
ideas
>would be a great help (it is time to start ripping some mp3s! :) ).
>    Thanks,
>        Michael Benedict

    Does the CD player work Win9x? Have you got all the channels unmuted and
the volume turned up? I felt a right prat when I worked out that that was
why I wasn't able to hear anything.

    HTH
                Tim.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:57:53 +0100

From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:57:36 +0100

From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.kernel
Subject: Re: FIC PA-2013 IN-compatibility (help!)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:17:28 +0100

Russell E. Smith wrote:

> I've been running RH6.0 with my  PA-2013 (1MB) with a K6-2/400 without a
> hitch. I would highly recommend that combo.

Well, my experience is different: i'm running a K6-3/450 on a PA-2013/1M
(switched from a VA-503+ with a K6-2/400), no overclocking, and two WD
disks: a WD-420400D 20Gb 5400rpm (/dev/hda) and a WD-418000D 18Gb
7200rpm (/dev/hdc). They're both sitting with other units on the resp.
cables (a Philips 460CDRW and an IDE Zip).

The disks tend to "timeout waiting for DMA" (I'm using UDMA mode 2, -X66
for hdparm) under heavy usage (eg GIMP operating on 25Mb pix). I tried
the exact same disk setup in an Abit BH-6 with a C300A/450 and got no
sign of disk timeouts, so it shouldn't be the disks but either the
motherboard or the kernel (I'm running 2.2.10-ac8). If I get desperate
enough I may try the VA-503+ again, but I'd rather not since it's only
got 2 DIMM slots.

BTW, the BH-6 is slightly faster than the PA-2013 with the same disks
(when they work at all 8-): around 16Mb/s vs 14.5Mb/s, as per "hdparm -t
-f"...

Does anyone have a hint as to why my drives are locking up?

../salvador

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Francisco V. Santacruz S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AOpen ALN325 PCI Ethernet Card
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:34:12 -0300

Does anyone knows which driver should I use to get my AOpen ALN325 PCI
Ethernet Card 10/100 working with kernel 2.2.10?

Thankyou.

------------------------------

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xpert98
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 17:24:52 -0700

I am trying to get Mach64 server to display at 1280x1024@70hz. It is not
working, does anyone else have the Xpert98 running above 1280x1024@60hz.

Should i put in the Ramdac and the and anything else.

mike

------------------------------

From: Alexander Lem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System Prompt
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:56:18 -0400

Do any of you know how to make the prompt dynamic which will always show
the current working directory your presently in to  appear as  the
system prompt?

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:59:33 +0100

From: "test" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I have problems with digiboards setup for terminal use with dec (xon/xoff)
terminals
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:02:48 +1000

Flow stops when i telnet to other machines and starts back up when i hit any
character. All is of if i use hardware flow control terminals.  I seem to be
able to get around the problem by using rsh to any (including itself)
machine, then it stops every now and then, i just hit break to continue.

------------------------------

From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:09:21 GMT

Scott Rainaldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe you should try a different kernel.  I am running RH 6.0 / 2.2.5-15
> kernel and my card is working (at least partially).  I can listen to mp3s
> and certain wav files but not midis for some reason (does anyone know what
> may be causing this?).  Anyways, I hope this helps.

   From what I understand, there is no support for MIDI in Linux with the
AudioPCI soundcard.  I am not 100% sure, though.

   Greg H.

--
ROT-13 encoded email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Spotillius Maximus aka \"Spot\"" <*****@ix.netcom.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Sony SDT-2000 Can't mount KDE's tape backup.
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:25:06 -0400

So far, I'm slowly getting the system where I want it.  I tried mounting it
with /dev/st0 or /dev/tape and it say's it can't find tape.  Is there a
driver needed for this drive?  Thanks again for the help.

Ed

------------------------------

From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xpert98
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:07:14 GMT

Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to get Mach64 server to display at 1280x1024@70hz. It is not
> working, does anyone else have the Xpert98 running above 1280x1024@60hz.

   I have the Xpert@Play 98 (PCI version), which has, I believe, the same
guts as the Xpert 98 with the exception of the TV-out capabilities of the
Xpert@Play 98.
   I run the Mach64 X server at 1280x1024 @ 60Hz just fine on my 17" monitor.
Choose the _internal RAMDAC_ setting and make sure to set the proper vertical
and horizontal frequencies of your monitor (these numbers should be in your
monitor's manual).  Set up the card with Xconfigurator, if you have it
installed.

   Greg H.

From: "Floydd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux IRQ oops
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:17:45 GMT

i', a slackware guy... but this seems to be distribution independant....
what's wrong with adding:

append="ether=0,0,eth1"

to lilo.conf?  (if this is a second ethernet card)

if it;s the first ethernet card, why is this even an issue?  shouldn't it
get detected on boot?  or does modprobe need that much specific info?
maybe now i'm getting distribution specific... hmmmmmmmmmm

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:25:17 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa

kees wrote:

> Lately I have installed RH 6.0 under which I would like to install an
> external parallel zip-drive. This went oke under RH 5.2, just by following
> the steps described in the mini-howto. However under 6.0 "insmod ppa"
> returns a lot of errors and won't do the job. Can anyone help me out here?

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

Try this
modprobe parport
modprobe ppa

Later,
KJD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Yamaha DS-XG card
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:31:55 GMT

www.opensound.com (or 4front?? ) Spend $30 and spend 2 hours setting it
up and tweaking controls and you'll have sound!!
good luck

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:58:53 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parallel port zip drive problems...

Jeff wrote:

> Joceli Mayer wrote:
>
> > Jeff wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running redhat 5.2 and have a parallel port zip 100 drive that I
> > > can't quite get to work...
> > >
> > > When installing redhat, there is an option in the scsi adaptors setup
> > > section to install the ppa driver, so I tried that, and by probing, it
> > > failed to find the device. I tried specifying parameters, like the
> > > address and whatnot, and it still did not work, it hangs the computer
> > > looking for the drive (I entered the resources for my parallel port as
> > > they are shown in Windows, the parameters I added were "ppa=0x378,7" I'm
> > > not sure if that is correct, but I had to do the same for my scsi
> > > adaptor, and that worked ok.)
> > >
> > > I installed redhat without the ppa module, and tried installing one of
> > > the newer kernels (2.2.9), and I noticed that there are two zip modules
> > > now, ppa and imm for newer drives. I have fairly new zip drive, but the
> > > cable does not say 'autodetect' like the information in the kernel setup
> > > says. I tried compiling the kernel with ppa, when that didnt work, with
> > > imm. Neither worked, and anytime I type "insmod ppa" (after first
> > > installing redhat and also after upgrading the kernel) it says that the
> > > ppa.o device is busy.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what else to try, any help would be appreciated...
> >
> > try /sbin/insmod parport     before loading ppa (or imm)
>
> insmod parport gives me an error saying "insmod: parport: no such device"

In the general setup section of your /usr/src/linux/.config file make
sure that
CONFIGPARPORT=y
CONFIGPARPORT_PC=y

Cheers,
KJD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: 18 Jul 1999 02:56:18 GMT

On 16 Jul 1999 23:03:02 -0500, John Doe wrote:
>On 12 Jul 1999 10:44:26 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan) writes:

>>> And err.. what wrong with 2 button mouse?
>>Don't use X windows eh?  X uses 3 buttons, yes you can do emulation,
>>but thats a hack and if you are selling systems to be linux only,
>>it shouldn't have 2 button mice.
>>
>>--
>>Tom Evans
>
>Why X?  Middle button works everywhere.

My 2 button trackpad work just fine in and outside X, the 3rd button emulation
works. Now if I can get the Zilog version of my PS/2 Logitech OEM mouse to
scroll..  And uhh.. I wonder why Apple is still bundling one button mice with
even the latest machine, the G3s & iMac.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |