Linux-Hardware Digest #787, Volume #9            Sat, 20 Mar 99 03:13:52 EST

Contents:
  mouse prob (RaZor)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything (G. Franklin McCullough)
  FS: Dell PowerEdge 1300 350Mhz Server $1000 (Charlie Brown)
  Re: Burning.... ("sven the hairy")
  Re: Burning.... (Bucky)
  Re: Unusual number of posts differing only in date ??? (Michael Geary)
  Re: wanted scrap ("scram")
  Re: Modem not responding ! (Laurent Martin)
  cardmgr not recognizing Ethernet Card ("Andrew Rudnick")
  Re: Driver Or howto intstall Compaq Netelligent 10/100 driver (Marcus Urban)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Mark Robinson)
  Using Linux with DVD and TV (Eric Cartman)
  Re: BT speedway, red hat 5.1/2, hisax?? howto?? (Jason Clifford)
  Re: USR Courier V. Everything (G. Franklin McCullough)
  What videocard do you use? (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (David Gochfeld)
  Re: Asus Video card and other questions (Kelly)
  Re: HP LaserJet 1100 with ghostscript? (Frank Miles)
  Re: H...E...L...P... (me)
  Re: Linux setup on Alpha (Shane Steven Sturrock)
  What hardware is required ????????? (Kerry)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (bill@)

From: RaZor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouse prob
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:36:51 -0800

I'm using red-hat 5.2, everything works fine but however i can't get my
mouse to work.
The mouse is a serial mouse (tec-mouse). I have tried mouseconfig, i
select the right mouse type,
the right com port-cua0 (com1), but nothing works. I aslo tried
moseconfig --kickstart --device cua0, but this did not work.

In the Bios i have serial port 1 is using com 1. I think that the serial
ribbon might be messed up, i have no way of tell that.
Should i make a dos boot disk and get the driver for that mouse and see
if it works.

The way i have that serial cable plugged in the mothe rboard is db-9
ribbon red facing the isa pci slots on com1. I'm sure this is
right.

Also i have a modem on com2, it uses jumpers so i know its on two.

what can i do?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough)
Subject: Re: USR Courier V. Everything
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:58:27 -0600

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:51:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough) wrote:
>> I installed Red Hat 5.2 recently and everything works great except my
>> modem which is the USR Courier V. Everything.  It is a 33.6 upgraded
>> to 56K and V90.  Works great under windows 95 with connect speeds up
>> to 52000.  Under Linux it will only connect at 26400.  I would
>> certainly appreciate any help from someone who has already went
>> through this problem.
>> thanks,
>>

>I have a V.Everything, also upgraded via the official USR Windows95 software
>and it connects to my ISP at 40.0 nearly every time using the V.90 protocol.
>
>It is difficult to see the connect speed in Windows.  Relying on the system
>tray to tell you is not exactly accurate.  Note that 52000 is roughly twice
>your 26400 rate.  That could be a clue that you're not dialing in as fast as
>you expect.
>
>Of course, you could have done all this research already yourself and I could
>be going on and on about stuff you already know, but I just thought I'd put
>in my two cents.
>
>Good luck,
>Paul.

Paul thanks for the reply.  Would you pass on your setup and modem
strings that work for you.  Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Brown)
Crossposted-To:
comp.forsale,comp.forsale.computer,comp.forsale.computers,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: FS: Dell PowerEdge 1300 350Mhz Server $1000
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:01:21 +0900

For Sale!

Dell PowerEdge 1300
   (1) 350Mhz Intel Pentium II Processor (Dual Processor Capable)
   64MB ECC 100MHz SDRAM
   9Gb Ultra-2/LVD SCSI (7200rpm)
   14/32X EIDE CD-ROM
   Integrated ATI-Rage IIC (2MB SGRAM non-upgradeable)
   Keyboard & Mouse
   Intel Pro 100 Plus Network Card
   (No Operating System) - Perfect for Linux!

Asking $1000 obo (This includes FedEx COD delivery)

If interested please contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "sven the hairy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burning....
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:19:57 -0800

Weird, deja didn't post the follow up question I had, just the original
post........

Any comments/weird experiences/war stories/etc on the Yamaha CRW4416Sx? It
is expensive, but I think the extra cost is worth it.

------------------------------

From: Bucky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:11:03 -0700

I have the internal one, and I have it working in Windows NT and Windows
98. (haven't had time to mess with linux) and it works great

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Geary)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Unusual number of posts differing only in date ???
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 05:22:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bengt Richter) wrote:

>Is there a problem in the delivery chain somewhere?
>
>I can't believe so many folks are re-posting their
>stuff...

Something is *very* wrong somewhere. I'm getting four copies of
everything in .announce!

And your message came through twice too... <g>

-Mike

p.s. I like to keep newsgroup discussions in the newsgroups,
but if you do want to send email, delete the "X".

------------------------------

From: "scram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.aptiva,alt.comp.hardware.superdisk,cn.bbs.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: wanted scrap
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:38:45 -0800

hey matt, are you doing a dance with this ben guy or what, just tell him how
much you'll pay if anything and how he can contact you. huh?

scram

------------------------------

From: Laurent Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem not responding !
Date: 20 Mar 1999 06:54:17 +0100

I answer to myself. I finally get my modem to work by setting to no
the "is a pnp os" flag in the bios setup and everything works well
right know.

Thanks to those who answered my post.

Laurent

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Rudnick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cardmgr not recognizing Ethernet Card
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:02:03 -0500

I am running Red Hat system 5.2 on an AMS Tech 2550CX laptop, and I
can't seem to get cardmgr to recognize my LinkSys EC2T ethernet PC
card.

When I seat the card in the machine's PCMCIA slot, I get the "low beep
/ high beep" pattern that suggests (to me) that carmgr can't find the
right entry in /etc/pcmcia/config, but that the card has been
configured.

When I then look at /var/log/messages, I see:

...  cardmgr[196]: initializing socket 0
...  cardmgr[196]: socket 0: Anonymous Memory
...  cardmgr[196]: executing 'insmod
/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia/memory_cs.o'

I am taking this to mean that for some reason, cardmgr thinks that the
ethernet card is a memory card.  (Why would it think that?  Could
there be a problem with cardmgr talking with the PCMCIA slot driver?)

When I try to manually run 'insmod pcnet_cs.o', I get:

    pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
    pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
    pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_debug
    pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
    pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init

I've gotten this problem both with 2.0.36-0.7 modules and with the new
2.0.36-3 modules.  I also get this problem with other PC Cards than
the EC2T.

Anybody have any ideas?

    -Andy Rudnick

From: Marcus Urban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver Or howto intstall Compaq Netelligent 10/100 driver
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:17:13 +0000

Mike wrote:

> Jason McKnight wrote:
> >
> > Get the latest kernel and compile it. 2.2X has more drivers for embedded NIC's
> >
> > Alex Kudryashov wrote:
> >
> > > I have Compaq 1600R server with embeded Compaq 10/100 tx NIC
> > > RedHat 5.2 told me that it is Netelligent 10/100 - but didn't install driver
> > >
> > > Where can I find it - or what should I do?
>
>         Actually, 2.0.x had drivers for this card - it's a TI ThunderLan, use
> the TLAN driver.

Some of the Compaq Netelligent 10/100 are actually Intel chipsets. I
forget the model
number, but I discovered this when I was getting my new machine (Compaq)
at work
set up for networking.

------------------------------

From: Mark Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 06:20:04 GMT

Zenin wrote:

> In comp.lang.java.advocacy Steve Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         >snip<
> : Linux is made for the PC.  I believe Unix was made for big servers.
>
>         ROTFL!
>
>         You might want to look at the specs of the PDP-11 before you make
>         such assumptions.  8k (not MB, *kilobytes*) of RAM IIRC.

            Where the PDP-11s high end boxes(big servers) when they were
released?

<snip>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Cartman)
Subject: Using Linux with DVD and TV
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 06:33:15 GMT

I would like to setup a Linux box as a entertainment system, sort of
like those Gateway machines that game with big screen TV's.

PC with video card with TV out.  DVD drive.  cordless mouse, keyboard.
Sit in the LazyBoy, surf the web, and watch DVD movies.

Note that I do not want to watch TV through the Linux box, just
display it on a TV.

Anyone know what hardware I would need to achieve this?  Or is it even
possible?

Thanks
Eric

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BT speedway, red hat 5.1/2, hisax?? howto??
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:08:26 +0000

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> : Just to repeat my offer from yesterday - I have RPMs available of
> : isdn4k-utils-3.0beta2.1 for Red Hat 5.2 and derivitives. i386 and src
> : rpms.
>
> Uh - yes please. I did a quick compile of 3.0 beta2 a few days ago for
> 2.0.36 and had to fix 5 or 6 coding errors as well as some makefile
> and autoconf snafus. The code errors came from missed ifdefs. They've
> made a mess with so many compile options.
>
> : anonymous ftp access to those who ask.
>
> it wouldn't be at dlsl.demon.co.uk by any chance, would it :-).

anonymous ftp from ftp://gateway.ukpost.com/pub/

There are lots of other RPMs there as well.

Jason Clifford                                 http://www.dlsl.demon.co.uk/
              Linux Consutlancy and Support Services
             PC and Server systems with Linux/FreeBSD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Franklin McCullough)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:58:30 -0600

On 19 Mar 1999 22:54:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Andrew Comech) wrote:

>In article <7cokt8$bnc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charles Sullivan wrote:
>>Why don't you post the setup strings you are using in Windows and in Linux,
>>then perhaps someone can spot something.
>Let me add that this is just not possible that with the same INIT
>string modem would connect at different speeds under different
>operating systems.
>Best,
>Andrew
>
>PS. By the way, the fact that you are connecting at 26400bps
>could be caused by falling back to V.34 protocol (you are
>using x2 instead of K56Flex or something like that). With
>V.34 protocol, a modem is more perceptive to the noise of
>the line, and falls to usually 26400bps. Well, this sounds
>silly (I've read it somewhere on http://www.zoltrix.com),
>but where my V.34 modem could do 26400, my K56Flex easily gives
>above 45000bps. (I am positive that the V.34 modem was not a
>black sheep, either.)

I know it should get the same speeds with
Linux....................perhaps I am not setting up the right stuff
in the right place.  :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:35:17 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What videocard do you use?

Hi,
I would like to hear your experience with cheap videocards;
precisely, at which resolutions YOU RUN THEM,
and what is the  best refresh and color depth.
Also, if there is something specific in the configuration.

I am asking this because of my experience with Trident 9750:
although it is mentioned as supported by Xfree86 3.3.3.1, the
screen remains black at most resolutions (no errors reported).
Other people complained about the same problem.

This is the list of the cheapest videocards mentioned as supported
by 3.3.3.1:

/* $20-$30 on PriceWatch */

S3 Virge DX, 4MB, AGP
S3 Virge GX2, 4MB, 2x AGP
Number Nine Revolution 3D, 4MB, AGP
Diamond Multimedia Speedstar A50, chipset: SiS 6326, 8MB, AGP

/* $30-$50 */

ATI Xpert XL, chipset: ATI 3D RAGE PRO TURBO, 4MB, AGP
STB Velocity 128, chipset: NVidia Riva 128, 8MB, 2x AGP
ATI Xpert 98, chipset: ATI 3D RAGE PRO TURBO, 8MB, 2x AGP

Most of these cards are mentioned in the newsgroups, but people
usually do not specify the resolutions which are OK...

Please post a reply.

Thank you,
Andrew

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

------------------------------

From: David Gochfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:50:55 -0500

David Elliott wrote:

> You will also need to properly install lilo on the machine (I strongly
> recommend creating a bootdisk with the proper kernel and initrd on it while you
> still have your old hd up and running, then reboot with the disk giving it the
> root=/dev/sdxN.  If all goes well, reconfigure lilo, run it, and you should be
> in business.

So here's the question -- how do you reconfigure lilo so it installs itself
properly
in the MBR of the new drive (especially when the old drive is still mounted on the
system)?

thanks

-dave

------------------------------

From: Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus Video card and other questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:15:25 -0600

The other posts were on the money...  but left out the financial program
you were looking for. Try GNUcash at:

        http://www.gnucash.org

Let the group know how you are doing and let me know if you like
GNUcash...  I am using Quicken currently...

Kelly

--
************************************
* http://www.evansville.net/~kslow *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100 with ghostscript?
Date: 20 Mar 1999 07:13:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
eloki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Has anyone got this printer working properly with ghostscript 5.10+?
>Taking a look at the 1100's page on HP and the ghostscript homepage, I see
>that the 1100 supports PCL5e, whereas most of the laserjets that ghostscript
>supports seem to be PCL3.
>  I'm not too sure of the compatibilities between PCL5e and PCL3.. anyone
>got any experience with it?

Well, part way.  I'm running gs-aladdin 5.50 (Debian packaging).  The printer
is run via apsfilter, set up for PCL4.  Seems to work fine, if no fireball.
It would be much faster to have a true PostScript printer (like at work).
No real complaints so far, though.  Nice printing.  If it is more reliable
than the Brother printer that it replaced, I will be quite satisfied.

        -frank

------------------------------

From: me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: H...E...L...P...
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:28:45 +1300

Get the XBF740 server from Red Hat and other sites.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shane Steven Sturrock)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.alpha,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux setup on Alpha
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:09:14 +0000

On 19 Mar 1999 07:53:33 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can someone who may have installed Red Hat Linux on a Alpha Multia box help
>me?
>
>I am not getting anywhere with this. I added an external SCSI box with a
>hard drive and CDROM.
>
>Nothing seems to happen when i put in the RH booth disk into the multia

Are you getting either the SRM or ARC console prompt?  You can't just shove a
floppy in the machine and have it boot like a PC does.  If the machine is
just sitting there with a blank screen then something is up with the machine.
Any odd PCI cards added?  Video card?  I had a similar problem with my UDB
when I tried to run a Matrox Millenium PCI video card, the machine just
sat there.  Took the card out and it was fine.  Another problem could be that
you have a dead battery in the machine.  Doesn't sound like your problems
are anything to do with Linux and everything to do with the Alpha just
being upset about something.  Could even be the RAM in the machine is faulty,
not 36 bit true parity, nothing else will do.  I have 96MB of true parity
RAM in mine, works fine.

--
Dr. Shane Sturrock - http://nova.bru.ed.ac.uk/~sss
Linux, a better WinNT than WinNT

------------------------------

From: Kerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What hardware is required ?????????
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:36:53 +1000

I am considering using a linux box as a internet server for my lan ie
multiple computers accessing the net thru one modem. My Question is ; "
What are the minimum and  sensibly adequate hardware and software
requirements needed to  accomplish this?".

I am using Win 95 on most of the machines and win 3.11 on some others ,
tho net access is not vital for the 3.11 machines. The lan runs thru a
16 port hub.

Kerry

------------------------------

From: bill@
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 23:12:35 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Zenin says...

>: I've met a lot of old timer techies who have had the opinion that VMS was
>: more stable and significantly better organized then Unix.
>
>       Still is, but I still like Unix more myself.

VMS used to be a solid OS, but not any more. DEC fired too many software
engineers, there is hardly anyone left to maintain it. VMS is no longer
as solid, it crashes too many times nowadays.

Also, Unix shell is so much more flexible than VMS DCL (shell for VMS).

VMS has its good points offcourse, but overall, Unix is now is the best
OS for mission critical and for large enterprise computing. And Linux is
the best OS for smaller size machines and gaining fast.

Bill.