Linux-Hardware Digest #805, Volume #10           Tue, 20 Jul 99 18:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Re: tape backup device under Linux (Bryan)
  Re: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine? (benjamin j snyder)
  How to change the time? (Trung)
  Re: Altering BIOS Values w/ Program ? (Doug DeJulio)
  Re: linux on a gateway solo 2500se? ("Steve Doney")
  hook a normal printer directly up to a network? (Gaiko Kyofusho)
  Token Ring PCI/II 16/4 Adapter: works on linux ? ("Roberto Favaro")
  Re: turn a computer into a network hub? (Alex Lam)
  Help with lilo and without floppydisk or bootable CDROM ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  modem driver for linux ("Jan Rockstedt")
  Re: Mustek ScanExpress 12000P (Jerry Craker)
  Re: Building a Linux Box - comments? (David Bremner)
  Re: turn a computer into a network hub? (Luca Filipozzi)
  turn a computer into a network hub? (Gaiko Kyofusho)
  Re: Weird crash due to sunsite or myself? 8<< Help!!! Thanks!!! (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Andrew Habgood Solved the problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Install hangs (Paul Nguyen)
  Re: HP false advertising!!!! ("Mike Smith")
  Re: RAID controler? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: turn a computer into a network hub? (dkwok)
  Re: Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ? (Davis Eric)
  Re: muti-monitor support (Marc Mutz)
  Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller (bill davidsen)
  Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90 (C. C. McPherson)
  Re: Help! ISP dial-up. (root)

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:13:21 +0000
From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: tape backup device under Linux

Matthew Hixson wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a tape backup device for use under Linux?  This is
> to go into a machine with an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (supports SCSI).
> The machine is currently running kernel 2.2.6, but I can upgrade it if
> necessary.
>   Any adivce is welcomed.
>   -M@

I love my NS/20 FAST SCSI drive.  It's made by one company but branded
by various companies such as Seagate, Tandberg Data, etc.  and is NS/8
backwards compatible, supports hardware compression, etc.

Got mine at Buy.com for a good deal, with two tapes, total of about
$400.

You could probably find them at local computer shops for a little less.

-- Bryan Scott
-- CTR Online Systems Administration

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: Re: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 15:53:04 GMT

In article <7muco0$iui$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Neville  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>where to buy. I've checked shopper.com and pricewatch for the lowest
>priced places, but I'd prefer to buy everything (mobo, cpu, memory, HD,
>case, etc.) from one place at a reasonable price.

Perhaps my definition of quality and reasonable prices arent the same as yours,
perhaps not.  However, I've found that the motherboard I want is not offered
by the same place that has the video card I want, and vice versa.  If you have
all of the components narrowed down to a few then buying at one place is
possible, but if you have it narrowed down to specific cards, mobo etc, you may
have problems.

--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: Trung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to change the time?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:35:43 -0500

Hello folks,
I have RH6.0 (Linux ver 2.2.5-15) w/ KDE. Currently, I have 2 problems:
modem & time.

1/ Is there anyone who makes Compaq Presario 336-VSC modem work? In
Win98, my modem is connected to COM2, IRQ=3. Using the command "dmesg |
less" I get the following info:
    .Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ
enabled
    .ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4 ) is a 16550A
    .pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

2/ How to change the time? I have the time correct in Win98 & NT but not
in Linux

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
Trung Do

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug DeJulio)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Altering BIOS Values w/ Program ?
Date: 20 Jul 1999 14:59:58 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Lins  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>is there a possibility to alter bios setup values without using the
>internal bios setup program (hit del to enter...) but some other program

I believe you can compile "nvram" support into recent Linux kernels,
and then create "/dev/nvram" to get access to the same area of memory
that stores BIOS settings.  I'm pretty sure that different machines
don't use that memory in the same way, so you would have to figure out
how to get the effect you want on your particular machine.

One easy trick might be to set the settings by hand one way, store the
current NVRAM contents, set the settings by hand the other way, store
the current NVRAM contents, and then compare them to see what you need
to do (or simply restore them at will, if you don't care about the
details).

I have not tried this on an x86 box.
--
Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

------------------------------

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux on a gateway solo 2500se?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:10:07 +0100

I have Suse Linux 6.1 running on my Gateway Solo 9100. It needed a little
help to get the X windows working and some tweaks for the modem and network
card but all seems OK. I found 2 US sites who had done the job before.

I can give details of any config files if required.

Steve

From: Gaiko Kyofusho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: hook a normal printer directly up to a network?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:01:28 GMT

I was wondering if there was a way that I could hook a normal (hp desk
jet model ???) directly to my home network (consisting of 1 winnt box
and 2 linux boxes) without having to hook it directly to one of the
computers?  (I admit that it would be for purposes of convenience
<arranging the network ing the house> not necessity, for those that
might ask "why")

                                       -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho

From: "Roberto Favaro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Token Ring PCI/II 16/4 Adapter: works on linux ?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:23:31 +0200

I was looking for making work this interface on Linux in a token ring
environment.

I checked in the home site of Olicom but there isn't a support.

What can i do ?

the linux has a kernel 2.2.7

thank a lot

crbild

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: turn a computer into a network hub?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:38:11 -0700

Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:

> Hi, I was told that computers (with enough network cards) can be made to
> act like network hubs in linux but I have not been able to find any
> information on how to do this <assuming it really is possible>.  If
> anyone could point me to some information about this I would really
> appreciate it!
>
>                                        -Gaiko

It's possible, but it'd be cheaper, and easier to config with a real
hardware hub.
Unless you already have a bunch of network cards around, and still,
you're limited to how many slots you can use in your computer.

A small, 5-8 ports  10Mb hub can be had for about $45US.

Alex Lam.

> Gaikokujin Kyofusho

*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help with lilo and without floppydisk or bootable CDROM
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:33:14 GMT

Hi.

  I need some help very urgently.

  I have a SCSI disk which in the process od desolving into pure bad
blocks. I was able to save most of the system and other important data
on a new error free SCSI disk. My problem is now how I get lilo into
writing the master-boot block onto this disk?

  In plain english how I could change the booting proccess from
/dev/sda1 into /dev/sdc1 which will become then after that into
/dev/sda1 (/dev/sdb is a /home device). Currently I have /dev/sda1 and
/dev/sdc1 mounted as / and got weirde results from this.

  Please help and sent you helpful advice to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIA

   Torsten

p.s.: Advice like a new reinstall from floppy or CDROM is not possible!

--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten
Zirzlaff

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second,
defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and
the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and
Ladies'                  |

From: "Jan Rockstedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem driver for linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:47:37 +0200

Hi !

I am looking for any driver to a mdp3858v-e a pci modem to any linux or free
unix.
Any sugestion ?

Regards Jan Rockstedt

------------------------------

From: Jerry Craker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mustek ScanExpress 12000P
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:10:20 -0400

I also, would be interested and willing to be a guinea pig for
experimental/development drivers.
-- Jerry Craker --
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Bremner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 08:48:39 -0700

wizard wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|I'm surprised the price difference is that high.    Are you sure you are
|comparing Apples to Apples here.    The TNT2 Ultra competes with the G400
you
|may be thinking about the Old TNT chipset.

|I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if there is that much of a difference
as
|the two latest chipsets are closely matched in performance.    IMHO the
Matrox
|has much better output if thats important to you.

I have seen the Matrox G400 16M oem for $108 locally in Seattle, and
$118 online.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luca Filipozzi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:36:02 -0700

In article <7n2kdj$6mf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hi, I was told that computers (with enough network cards) can be made to
> act like network hubs in linux but I have not been able to find any
> information on how to do this <assuming it really is possible>.  If
> anyone could point me to some information about this I would really
> appreciate it!

You have two choices:

1) buy "hub" cards, which are real hubs and only use an ISA slot for
power - five ports in one isa slot; nothing to do with Linux

2) install "ethernet" cards and use bridging to make your Linux box into
a switch (not a hub)

read the bridge + firewall howto for information about bridging

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Weird crash due to sunsite or myself? 8<< Help!!! Thanks!!!
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:09:42 GMT

Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>First I  su root from his account and put this program into /usr/local
>and then untared it. But I found it created usr/local/chinese in
>/usr/local, i.e I got /usr/local/usr/local/chinese. So, I deleted the
>sub tree of usr  by using rm -r usr. I don't think it was wrong.
                           ^^^^^^^^^
[...]

Well, it wasn't. It just did what you told it to do.
You probably deleted /usr that way. Time for reinstallation.
Next time, you'll hopefully remember to be _very_ careful whenever
working as "root", especially if doing a "rm -r <whatever>" .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Andrew Habgood Solved the problem
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:59:48 GMT

I have the same notebook but I am not very close to solving the startx
problem. Could you supply me with config info on the card, monitor and
XF86 server? I would greatly appreciate it!

From: Paul Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Install hangs
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:45:38 -0700

Your input on this problem will be appreciated.

I am installing Redhat Linux 6.0 from a CD.  First, I created a boot disk,
boot.img.  I then booted to run vmxxx and initrd.img.  I selected
autoprobing or standard installation from the Redhat Welcome screen.
After selecting English, US keyboard, I selected installation from CD rom.
I was prompted to put in the CD then the installation program went to
sleep.  The cursor was still blinking in the lower left corner.  If I put
a different CD in to the drive, it would let me know that the disk was not
the correct one.

My machine is a 486DX with overdrive up to 100MH.  The CD Rom is Samsung
ATAPI EIDE 24x.  The machine is currently installed with Windows 95.  I
have a Promise Technology EIDEpro as the EIDE card.  The hard disks and CD
drive are on this card.  Memory is 20M.

Does any one have any idea how I can get past this?

Note:  I tried run autoboot but got message that the image file could not
be found.

Thanks, Paul

------------------------------

From: "Mike Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: HP false advertising!!!!
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:46:34 -0400

David J. Topper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hey folks,
>
> I've already posted once before about my lame experience with HP and
> their OMNIBOOK line.  Basically, they shipped me the wrong unit and took
> their sweet time about doing it (eg., no next day air).
>
> Here's the kicker.  Check out the following web page:
>
> http://www.hp.com/omnibook/
>
> It says the machines are available with the new 400mhz processor.  Well
> that's a bold faced lie!  I was just told by an HP sales rep. that they
> ARE NOT available with the 400mhz processor.
>
> Isn't that false advertising?  Isn't that illegal?  Do I (we) have a
> case?  What's the deal?

Did you try returning the unit for refund, before you ran out and called
your lawyer?  I'd say that, if they refund your money, your case isn't very
strong.

--
Mike Smith.  No, the other one.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:22:45 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: RAID controler?

Greg Leblanc wrote:

> I need to build a rather "beefy" server for linux.  I'm looking about a
> P-II 350 (possibly faster), 256 megs of ram, probably about 18gigs of
> drive space.  I would prefer if the hard drive was a Hardware RAID 5
> array.  Can somebody recomend which controllers are best supported under
> linux?  Maybe the HP controlers, or the Adaptec AAA-131 SA?  Thanks,
>      Greg
Mylex DAC960 (number may be different)
(AMI?) MegaRaid
come to mind. Check the compile options in recent kernels.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: dkwok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:45:32 +1000

These days hubs are so cheap I won't be bother.

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone Get The CMI8330 Working ?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:34:03 GMT

Hi, there,

What Linux box are you using?

I am using RHL 6.0 and it works well except midi. I think in the furture
midi will be also be supported.

Davis

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you have the CMI8330 sound card and have got it working under linux
> please emial me. Any help at all will be greatly approciated.

I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.
                                        --Myself

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:26:07 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: muti-monitor support

GUAY Dominic wrote:

> I've been searching dejanews/howtos and i cant find an answer.
>
> Under Linux, how, if it is possible, does one runs 2 monitors (with
> different displays). Where, for exemple, i could display my X-app on a
> screen and use the other for wathever else.

You can do: Use xinit --display :0 / xinit --display :1 (or such, see
man page) to get tow independent X displays.
You can't do (yet): combine those to form a single desktop.

> I'm planning to run a LCD Syncmaster and a cathodic screen.
>
> Are there better graphic cards to do the job?

Matrox.

Marc

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller
Date: 20 Jul 1999 19:08:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen) writes:

| > I would try ncr53c8xx before going into panic mode. Also note that most
| > computer shows will provide you with a supported controller for <$50,
| > either a generic NCR (if PCI) or a AHA154x if ISA.
|
| they will?  all the computer shows i've been to have never heard
| anything non-adaptec when it comes to scsi adapter cards.

Well, around Albany NY, DC, and NYC they will. Online places certainly
have adaptors for cheap. YMMV.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. C. McPherson)
Subject: Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:16:56 -0400

> Has anyone had success using a Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90
with
> Linux?  I can dial into my ISP through minicom and log in manually,
> starting the PPP session but I can't seem to get my pppd to connect
> properly.  I suspect my PPP setup is not right (they use CHAP
> authentication, which complicates things) but I had heard some time ago
> that some SupraExpress modems used shared memory for buffering data,
> causing it to be incompatible with Linux.  Is this true or am I barking
> up the wrong tree?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Roy Grimm

As far as the supra express goes, you might want to reference
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/19990720a.html

I currently use a supra express (most of the time) with no
problems. I think your problem is the CHAP authentication. You
may want to look at the HOWTO for PPP, it contains info on the
CHAP. Also check the HOWTO for Shadow Password.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sg.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help! ISP dial-up.
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:28:20 GMT

Even using the kppp I still have to configure the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.  kppp
has a setting for this, but it
must still depend on the pap or chap files to be setup correctly.

Also try using the serial port name instead of /dev/modem.  For com1...
/dev/ttys0

-Good Luck