From: "LRW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Prophet vid card and RedHat 6.2?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 04:11:16 GMT

Hi,
I have a Hercules Prophet II MX with 32MB mem.
It's not on the Xconfigurator list. Anyone know a compatable listing that
has the same server as the Prophet II?
I've tried a couple in custom setup, like SVGA and S3, and each one says
"server not found." Odd since I installed "everything." Do I need to compile
something?

Also, while on the subject, even if I select VGA just to get by, when it
comes to selecting the monitor, my Dell D1025TM is listed. I select it, but
the probe always says there's a problem and sends me back to the vertical
refresh rate, or even back to monitor selection. I've tried 50-60, 50-90,
50-100 (or something like that,) and it won't take any. Even if I choose
custom monitor and select one of the SVGA monitor options.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Liam

------------------------------

From: "LRW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Xconfigurator alternative?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 04:13:51 GMT

I seem to remember there being a more useful GUI X-win setup than
Xconfigurator. Gives you more control over the refresh, and the mouse too if
I recall.
It's not xf86config, it was graphical.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Liam

------------------------------

From: Jaideep Tibrewala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble using CDROM + CDRW in xcdroast
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:13:23 -0500

Hello

I have RH7.1, 52x IDE CDROM and a SCSI CDRW. I can mount the IDE
CDROM as an ide CDROM and the SCSI CDRW as a SCSI CDRW - no problems
with that.

However, when I use Xcdroast, it only sees my CDRW. I would like to be
able to read from my CDROM and write to my CDRW at the same time. But as
of now, I cannot do it since xcdroast will only recognize my CDRW.

Any suggestions as to how I can set the CDROM up so that it will appear
as a SCSI device along with my original SCSI CDRW?

Please cc to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jaideep

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing my ehternet card
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:06:49 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I am at a loss at what to change in the BIOS utility so that the NIC
> is assigned an address thru the BIOS.

I don't have a Phoenix bios to play with. Usually there is a check box or
question like "Is this a PnP OS", or there might be something about manual
or auto configuration. The idea is to let the BIOS do the PNP configuration,
and not the OS.

Changing IRQs is not a good idea. The whole idea behind PCI/PNP is to let
the box find free addresses and IRQ's. The problem with the OS doing the
configuration is that it doesn't necessarily update the hardware. If you do
a   'cat /proc/pci', you should see an entry for an ethernet controller,
with an address and an IRQ.

the HOWTO,   http://www.gui.uva.es/linux/HOWTO/Plug-and-Play-HOWTO-1.html

will give you some idea of what is involved, but it unfortunately doesn't
address specific BIOSes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PCI library changes, kernel 2.2.5 -> 2.2.16-22 (RH7)
Date: 21 May 2001 12:13:51 +0800

Try www.kernelnotes.org.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:06:49 -0600

From: C. C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA Apollo Southbridge again
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 00:38:28 -0400

I noticed your post and the motherboard you are using, I am
installing my A7V133 this week (hopefuly linux will still
run). Are you sure that the VIA southbridge is causing you
problems? Could it be the promise controller and RedHat,
according to this NG there are some issues. Promise did have
drivers for Kernel 2.2 but I don't know if they have them
for 2.4. You might want to check out the Promise web/ftp
sites.

-Clyde

------------------------------

From: "Vladimir Florinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.1/Mandrake 8.0  Hardrive Problems
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:55:39 -0700

In article <9e9i56$fdb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Andrew Murray"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MB - Abit-kt7-raid\
> HD - IBM Deskstar 7200 30gig
> PROC - Thunderbird 900
> I'd been running a couple distros on my system (first RH 7.0 then
> Mandrake 7.0? 7.2?) for a while with no problems whatsoever. I did a
> clean install to MDK 8.0 and now I get an error message dumped to my
> console by the kernel about every 10 seconds or so: hda: dma_intr:
> error=0x84{DriveStatusError BadCRC} hda: dma_intr: error=0x51{DriveReady
> SeekCompleteError}  I did an install of RH 7.1 (which also uses the 2.4
> kernel) and I'm getting the same probelm. I've already swapped out my
> IDE cables and reformatted the disk checking for bad sectors, and used
> low-level disk utilities from IBM to check for hardware problems.. so
> its not one of those... Can anybody help? Is there a kernel patch for
> this anywhere? Am I high and dry?  Thanks a million,

The 2.4 series kernels feature an unstable IDE disk support. Many people
have reported similar problems, myself included. The standard approach is
to disable DMA completely (see
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt) which would take down
transfer rate from 20-30MB/s to maybe 4-5. I don't think there is a real
fix as yet.
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: cash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: montego II in redhat
Date: 21 May 2001 05:13:33 GMT

LRW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know this isn't what you'd want to hear, but I have a Montego II, and I
> have never gotten it to work in 5.0 nor 6.2
> If someone ever has, I'd sure love to hear how! =)
> Liam

traded for an sb live value with the guy down the hall.  i think thats
about the best solution there is... =]

--

cash

------------------------------

From: "M H Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:03:53 -0700

Personnally I would try Mandrake Linux ver 7.2 or 8.0 you should be able to
boot the CD and if you have the cable adapter you could have the floppy
connected too. Make sure it is configured in the Bios which you want to boot
first.
M H Bell

news:mjFC6.51$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "M H Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:06:29 -0700

you can get a cable off of E-Bay for $14.95 that will hook the floppy drive
to the parallel port works like a charm and it is hot swapable on the Dell
Latitude PCi laptop.

"Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7bHC6.52$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
om:

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux: reduced capacity of my hard disk?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:37:19 +0200

> > Good, then you can boot linux with the following parameters:
> >
> > linux hda=6704,15,63
> >

> To do so I have to install linux on another hd, I suppose. (I
> dismantled it from the disk I am trying to recover)
> Could you please give me fuller 'elementary' details or suggest a few
> 'selected' readings since linux is completely new to me?

Oh damn, no more linux present.
The only way I can think of that makes DOS recognise another disk size,
is forcing the geometry in the BIOS.

> > parameters, and that these can be found in /proc/ide/hda/geometry
> too.
>
> As above, after loading linux on another hd?

Never mind.
Without a linux, it's not so important.

> > That usually occurs when the BIOS starts reporting a disk
> differently.
> > It can be fixed by providing the "hda" parameter with lilo.
>
> Shall I leave Bios to autodetect (which will 'find' 4092 cyls only) or
> set it to user (with 6704/15/63)?

I'd force the latter, as you know it is correct.

> > This table contains only one (linux) primary, where the former
> contained :
> > linux,
> > DOS,
> > linux,
> > extended
> >
> > It's not the same table.
> >

> Couldn't it be that dos-fdisk was unable to cancel previous partitions
> made with Linux-fdisk?

Did you (in between both listings) change the table?
delete partitions eg.

> But you could read the tables! Any suggestion about tchnical
> documentation (though I have no specific background)?

MOst things I know about this, I learned from the NG's and
documents on the web. (I don't recall the names of those documents).
www search engines( www.google.com ) should be able to turn up
some  godd links.

> > > Ok, I realize I wrote too much.
> >
> > You can't.
> > You can only give too little information, never too much.
>
> I got the lesson and apologize!

You misunderstood. I wasn't flaming you.
No need to apologize for a good thing done.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Anne-Marie.Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pb with a D-LINK DE-200+ network adapter
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:00:41 +0200

I want to use a D-LINK DE-200+ to work under a small network with slackware
linux 2.2.13 but i have big problems.
I declare in file /etc/conf.modules like:
alias etho ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=10 bad=0xbad

and in file /etc/rc.d/rc.module
/sbin/mode ne io=0x300 irq=10

the reponse at initialisation was:
device busy and it doesn't work

after i try to modifie initfunc and compile the ne.c module,at
inb_p(ioaddr+EN0_COUNTER0) the reponse
was 0xff.

what's the trouble?
I want also know the signification of the jumpers JP5  for memory adress?

Thanks
Michel ROBERT

------------------------------

From: Jef Peeraer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BIOS  see's ( won't see ) harddisk
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:16:08 +0200

I've got a P5A-B motherboard with an AMD K6-300 and a IBM deskstar
harddisk. Sometimes the harddisk is not recognised at boot time, I
receive the 'update ESCD' message and the disk boot failure. ( at that
time harddisk makes funny noises too then ). Somebody any experience
with behaviour like this ?

Jef

P.S running linux kernel 2.4.3, but it is not getting that far anyway i
suppose

------------------------------

From: "Philip Choy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 16MB on Compaq Proliant 2500 with 256MB?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:34:39 +0800

Hi.. i hv recently installed RedHat Linux 6.2 in Compaq Proliant 2500 (with
dual Pentium Pro 200 and RAM of 256MB).

Upon successful installation of it, and after upgrading of kernel to 2.2.19,
and various rpms, I realise that I keep seeing less than 16MB instead of
256MB of total memory whenever I do 'free' to show memory statistics.

No matter how i tried to change SDRAM (64 + 64 + 128MB) modules, or remove
one or two, or recompile kernel, i still consistently getting less than 16MB
for total physical memory. I was wondering why.
As below free program shows,
%free
Mem:         14416      11060       3356       5580        552       4644
-/+ buffers/cache:       5864       8552
Swap:      1043080       3880    1039200

Other linux boxes show correct total size, except this box. Weird.. Any idea
to solve this?

Pls email. i hardly read in newsgroup.

Thanx million.

Phil.

------------------------------

From: martin rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble using CDROM + CDRW in xcdroast
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 04:39:52 -0400

Jaideep Tibrewala wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have RH7.1, 52x IDE CDROM and a SCSI CDRW. I can mount the IDE
> CDROM as an ide CDROM and the SCSI CDRW as a SCSI CDRW - no problems
> with that.
>
> However, when I use Xcdroast, it only sees my CDRW. I would like to be
> able to read from my CDROM and write to my CDRW at the same time. But as
> of now, I cannot do it since xcdroast will only recognize my CDRW.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can set the CDROM up so that it will appear
> as a SCSI device along with my original SCSI CDRW?
>
> Please cc to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Jaideep

Your IDE CDROM is and always will be IDE, but that really is irrelevant.

Perhaps you need and are missing a link to /dev/hdX from /dev/cdrom
? (where X
is the IDE position the CDROM is on, A, B, C or D).   In my case:

> ll /dev/cdrom  /dev/hdb

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          3 Mar  1  2000 /dev/cdrom -> hdb
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/hdb

Your SCSI CD drive is probably /dev/sda or something.

If /dev/cdrom is missing try:

> ln -s  /dev/hdX  /dev/cdrom

martin rogers

------------------------------

From: Torgeir Aksel Johansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dynalink ISDN card under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:54:33 +0200

My ISDN card (PCI) does not seem to work under Mandrake 7.1, kernel
2.2.14 It seems like the card is found by the OS, but the hisax
(/etc/modules/../misc/hisax.o ) module cant be started. My guess is that
the card has'nt got an IRQ, but I was wondering if someone else could
help me out ?

TJ

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 2200 with Linux?
Date: 21 May 2001 08:10:42 GMT

Snowdog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am Sun, 20 May 2001 18:54:24 -0700 in comp.os.linux.hardware:

> Does anyone know the whereabouts of, or where I can get a Linux driver for
> the Intel 2200 DSL/pro internal modem?
Ask Intel. Again, Again, Again.
Never buy any Hardware without Linux Drivers included.
mfG
        Jojo

--
Jürgen Sauer - AutomatiX GmbH, +49-4209-4699, [EMAIL PROTECTED] **
** Das Linux Systemhaus - Service - Support - Server - Lösungen **