From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Why Build Box?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:39:26 -0700

On 21 Jul 1999 22:43:42 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 22 Jul 1999 01:01:36 GMT, Mike Frisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 21 Jul 1999 19:08:39 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Oh one more thing!  85 cents discount if no screw driver is required.
>>>
>>>I can also throw in a home improvement video for $4.99.  This video
>>>retails for $9.99.  Basically my prices will be cheaper than
>>>any one else.  Ok?
>>
>>Is this your way of trying to back out of a discussion in which you were
>>clearly overruled?
>>
>>Mike.
>
>What do you suggest I do?  Just because I was overruled it does not mean
>others are right!  I just think that people who built their own would like
>that video.

        You might try addressing their objections, or just concede.

[deletia]
>Why can't you have any constructive comments?

        He probably did. You didn't really.

[deletia]
--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:27:08 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: spindle count and RAID performance [was: RAID controler-RAID 5

[note: 'controller' means either hardware or software in this
conversation]

RAID0 divides up data writes in chunks across all drives in the raid
group.  For RAID0 pairs on separate controller channels this almost
doubles the write and read speed as there are multiple controllers
working the same data stream.  Fastest, but no parity and no drive loss
protection.

RAID1 is a simple binary mirror with no parity calculation.  The
controller writes the same data to two disks, so there is a small
incremental latency.  Data reads may be faster than writes depending on
the controllers ability to pull from either drive.  Most commercial
implementations use mirrored RAID0 sets (RAID0+1 or RAID10) for
performance and protection.  Multiple disk failure protection if they
aren't in the same mirror set.  Twice as many disks.  Expensive.

Network Appliance uses a modified RAID4 which buffers writes in
nonvolatile memory rather than hitting the data drives for each write.
When the buffer is full, parity is calculated and all the bits are
written hitting the disks once.  This avoids the RAID4 hot parity drive
effect and yields RAID0 performance with RAID5 data integrity.  Single
disk failure protection.  Cost may be a factor.

RAID5 calculates parity for each write then stripes parity and data
across all physical disks in the raid group.  This tends to be the worst
performer but most cost effective.  Single disk failure protection.

For RAID0, 4 and 5, performance increases as the number of physical
drives in the raid group increases.  Best performance seems to start at
7 and begin to drop after 28 drives/raid group (different controllers
and/or raid implementations will vary of course).

Hope this helps.

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: muti-monitor support
Date: 21 Jul 1999 13:33:56 +0200

Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> : You can do: Use xinit --display :0 / xinit --display :1 (or such, see
> : man page) to get tow independent X displays.
> : You can't do (yet): combine those to form a single desktop.
>
> of course you can.  just not with xfree86.  metro-x and Xig both
> support multiple screens.

> I use 2 matrox cards at home and at work with dual displays.  its
> great ;-)

Would that also work if the displays are at different hosts (assuming
you're allowed to connect to both servers)?

/Lars

------------------------------

From: "Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No Driver Support
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:44:26 -0600

I was told from a company that produces yamaha based cards. That they have
no plans to support linux. However, As in many products. There usually a
third party driver. Sorry to bring bad news. This was going on if you can
find it as a module and or directly into the kernel out of the make
menuconfig.

------------------------------

From: "Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI or PNP
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:48:56 -0600

Sorry to say this but all the howto's I have read suguest staying away from
plug and play modems. I even found one explaining why. Like the other one
responded. ISA plug and play. Unforchanetly linux is not developed enough to
fully support plug and play cards at all.

------------------------------

From: "CHUD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative 3D Blaster Banshee AGP
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:57:45 GMT

Was wondering if anyone has had experience with a Creative 3D Blaster
Banshee AGP and linux?  Problems?  Works great?
Thanks,
Todd

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: dhcpd
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:55:45 -0700

Try to run dhcpd daemon with eth1 argument:

dhcpd eth1

Also you can change your startup scripts to reflect this.

Good luck!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: Cheap personal laser for Linux
Date: 22 Jul 1999 06:31:00 GMT

I am looking for a decent personal laser printer for as cheap as possible with
a major brand.  Definitely under $400.  I also need it to work with Linux,
win98, and NT.  Anyone have any suggestions?

==================================
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

------------------------------

From: "Jake_Paws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HOWTO
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:47:11 -0600

That is the best bet for looking for a printer. However, What I do is find a
printer that emulates usually a HP. Normally any popular printer will work.
The only thing you need to wacth out for. Is a windows based only laser
printer. Basicly you can spot these because they have no emulations.

------------------------------

From: Peter Van Loock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tape backup device under Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:56:24 +0200

Matthew Hixson wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a tape backup device for use under Linux?  This is
> to go into a machine with an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (supports SCSI).
> The machine is currently running kernel 2.2.6, but I can upgrade it if
> necessary.
>   Any adivce is welcomed.
>   -M@

I've used both QIC (Colorado aka Hewlett Packard) and DDS (Archive
Python) tape-drives under Linux, using tar, cpio and arkeia. They both
work without any problems whatsoever. The DDS 2-drive I used was a lot
faster, but required a scsi-interface. I would say if money is no
problem, go for DDS.
The Travan tape-drives I know of are also quite good, but I have only
experience with them under Windoze.

Peter

--
Composed in a 99% Microsoft-free environment (I do need the mouse)

------------------------------

From: "HaTcH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asuscom PCI isdn adapter
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:55:54 +0200

Got reply from asuscom and they said, that drivers will be availbile in the
end of july 1999. (in a week or so?).

regards, hatch

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:01:23 GMT

As per my previous information on the this topic:

The major distributors do not (and in the case of Dell, and Gateway will
not) build machines to fit exotic situations.  As a result the machines we
build for our research DO exceed the capabilities of any of the systems you
see marketed for the public.

The difference though is that we build what are loosely term "massive
parallel" or "Beowulf" class machines.  These are extremely powerful
networks and are ideal for large scale simulations, and data analysis.
They are not what would be termed "consumer" PCs.

Again as per my previous notes, I can make details of our topologies
available to you as well as direct you towards specific data-books and
chipset information.

In the future please take note of the original discussion topic and
direction it was intended to take.  This thread was originally based on
the topic of why custom configurations should be made in house rather than
subcontracted to one of the major distributors or new "linux hardware"
company, and was intended for a technical audience.

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: Me Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sblive under linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:20:57 -0500

David wrote:

> Should sblive! value works under linux? (With Mandrake 6.0 and Kernel
> 2.2.9)
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> David

It works well with the drivers from
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/, but the drivers included are
for kernel 2.2.5 or 2.2.10 (I think there's one for 2.0.36 as well). I
used their last drivers (they've since updated them and I'm using the
new one now) meant for 2.2.5 on a 2.2.9 and didn't have any problems.

I would suggest upgrading your kernel to 2.2.10 and using the
appropriate driver, but if that's not an option, there's probably a good
chance that the 2.2.5 (or maybe the 2.2.10) version would work well with
the force (-f) option used when loading the module/driver)

------------------------------

From: Me Here <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: SBLive under smb kernel
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:28:00 -0500

Jason wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running RedHat linux under kernel 2.2.5-15smp but cannot get my sblive
> to work.
>
> I have tried forcing the module to load in rc.local (insmod soundcore;
> insmod emu10k1) but dont seem to get any sound.
>
> I have also tried putting the relative information in conf.modules
> but i keep getting kernel version errors on boot. Is there any way i can
> force my sblive value to work ? Can i edit the kernel version that the
> module seeks for ? Where would i do that (i have had a brief look at the
> module in a hex editor but am still clueless).
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

Have you tried using insmod -f emu10k1  ?
The -f forces the insertion of the module. You will still get the error
messages warning you that the module was compiled for a different kernel
version, but it should still insert.

I currently use the -f in my situation (in conf.modules) since I have a
patched 2.2.10-ac10 kernel. I don't know enough about smp to be able to tell
you it will work for certain, but give it a try.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ISDN
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:00:09 GMT

> Does anyone have some experience with ISDN and Linux ? if yes, what
ISDN
> adapter would you like to advise ?

I use a 3ComImpactIQ external TA and it works fine.  I would recommend
an internal adapter if you want to go faster than 115k since my external
is limited by the port speed.  If you want something easy to set-up and
get working, then go with the external variety.

BTW, it is possible to do 128k with an external TA if you install/have
a fast serial board installed that is capable of speeds above 115k.

The only problem I have since switching from an internal analog modem to
the external TA is getting my IP address assigned by my ISP.  With the
internal modem it worked flawlessly.  Now that I use the external TA I
must edit /etc/hosts and comment out the IP I assigned to my Linux box
before I call my ISP, otherwise, Linux will not accept the ISP assigned
IP address.  I still haven't figured out how to fix this minor problem.

Also, I set-up my ISDN TA on my Win98 machine, then just plugged it into
my Linux machine, changed my dial-out scripts and called out.  Very
simple operation.

From: "J Quintana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AHA1542CF Adapter problems
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:33:49 -0600

I have been having problems installing Linux. I have both Red Hat 5.2 and
Mandrake 6.0. I cannot get either to install. I have downloaded and am using
the new boot images.

My settings are as follows
    SCSI ID = 7,  IO = 0x330-0x333,  IRQ = 12, DMA = 7
    ST51080N hard drive ID = 4 and have tried 0

I am using my IDE for Windows 98 and want to use SCSI for Linux.

After I start the install I get to the autoprobe for the SCSI device It then
takes me to a screen and shows the following

Configuring Adaptec (SCSI ID 7) at IO:330,IRQ 12,DMA priority 7
SCSI:0 : Adeptec 1542
SCSI: 1 host
aha1542.c:unable to abort command for target 0

It then keeps sending that command then a command for a reset then it seems
to look for the hard drive because it says sda but keeps saying unable to
abort command.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful

Jared Quintana

From: "dayglo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isapnp vs. USR FAX INT MODEM
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:25:18 -0700

After following instructions, i have been able to isolate my modem card and
force isapnp to grab the necessary resources for it (i think), however i
still am unable to initialize the modem.
at the prompt, i type...
# pppd
....and all it does is output it to the console.
no sparks.
Are there other prepartions necessary in order for this to work or am i just
simply not using the correct commands???
could i be lacking the proper modules???
i'm running debian (latest kernel)
here's the stats...
At Boot up...
yada,yada,yada...
....the usual gibberish, then:
****************************
Got DEBUG
Got READPORT 0x0203
Got ISOLATE PRESERVE
Got IDENTIFY *
Got VERBOSITY 2
Got CONFLICT
Got IO FATAL
Got IRQ FATAL
Got DMA FATAL
Got MEM FATAL
Got CONFIGURE USR3031/3319721383
Got LD 0
Got IO
Got 0
Got SIZE 8
Got BASE 0x02F8
Got INT
Got 0
Got IRQ 3
Got MODE +E
Got NAME "USR3031/3319721383[0]{U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT}"
Got ACT
Got Y
Executing READPORT 0x0203
Executing ISOLATE PRESERVE
Board 1 has serial identifier  0f ff ff ff ff 00 08 a8 65 (YMH800/-1)
Board 2 has serial identifier  08 c5 de ed a7 31 72 56 (USR3031/3319721383)
Executing IDENTIFY
Board 1 has identity  0f ff ff ff ff 00 08 a8 65 : YMH0800 Serial
No -1[checksum
0f]
Board 2 has identity  08 c5 de ed a7 31 72 56 : USR3031Serial No
3319721383[checksum 08]
Executing VERBOSITY 2
Executing IO FATAL
Executing IRQ FATAL
Executing DMA FATAL
Executing MEM FATAL
Executing CONFIGURE USR3031/3319721383
Found board USR3031/3319721383 as Card Select Number 2
Executing LD 0
Executing IO 0
Executing SIZE 8
Executing <IMPLICIT>
Executing INT 0
Executing IRQ 3
Executing MODE +E
Executing NAME "USR3031/3319721383[0]{U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT}"
Executing ACT Y
USR3031/3319721383[0]{U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT} : Port 0x2f8;
IRQ3 ---Enabled OK
Executing WAITFORKEY
Calculating module dependencies... done.
****************************
well... that looks OK to me -- except for all those "FATAL" sticking out.  i
think that this has something to do isapnp's error checking. it says the
card is "enabled OK" so where is it???
after...
prompt# cat /proc/interrupts
****************************
 0:      35601   timer
 1:        526   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 6:         11 + floppy
 8:          2 + rtc
13:          1   math error
14:       1568 + ide0
****************************
....modem should be on irq 3, but as you can see its not in use
after...
prompt# dmesg
****************************
Memory: sized by int13 088h
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fd960
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfd971
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd9ac
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 59.80 BogoMIPS
Memory: 30216k/32768k available (1136k kernel code, 384k reserved, 1032k
data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
alias mapping IDT readonly ...  ... done
Linux version 2.0.36 (root@gondor) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #2 Sun Feb 21
15:55:27 EST 1999
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
tpqic02: Runtime config, $Revision: 0.4.1.5 $, $Date: 1994/10/29 02:46:13 $
tpqic02: DMA buffers: 20 blocks, at address 0x282600 (0x28254c)
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
loop: registered device at major 7
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 9
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
hda: Maxtor 71626 AP, 1554MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=789/64/63, DMA
hdb: CRD-8320B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
Adding Swap: 34268k swap-space (priority -1)
Module inserted $Id: cdrom.c,v 0.8 1996/08/10 10:52:11 david Exp $
lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
AVM-B1-CAPI-driver Rev 1.4.2.19 : loaded
b1pci: revision  1.2.2.2
paride: version 1.02 installed
paride: comm registered as protocol 0
Cyclades driver 2.1.1.10 1998/11/12 16:08:23
        built Feb 21 1999 16:01:09
paride: aten registered as protocol 1
paride: bpck registered as protocol 2
capi20: started up with major 68
b1capi: capi20 attached
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
ISDN subsystem Rev: 1.44.2.9/1.41.2.11/1.48.2.28/1.28.2.3/1.8.2.2 loaded
b1capi: capidrv attached
b1capi: appl 1 up
paride: dstr registered as protocol 3
paride: epia registered as protocol 4
Swansea University Computer Society IPX 0.34 for NET3.035
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:00
don't know if this helps any but maybe you'll see something i don't.  i
think it is perhaps the drivers/modules, etc. hope you had the patience to
get to the end of this.  i know its long but i don't know how else to do
this.