From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leandro Gelasi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: modprobe ncr53c8xx init_module: Device or resource busy
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 00:24:54 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Harald van Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I use Asus K7V, ide disks, Tekram 390F SCSI card (no devices).
> Kernel 2.2.14.
> In /proc/pci the SCSI card is seen.
> In /proc/scsi not seen.
> I want to install the modul with modprobe, but I only get the error
> message above.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Harald

It seems to be a wrong IRQ/DMA setting.

Have a look at /etc/conf.modules and try to change the setting, or pass the
parameter on the command line.
Try to find something in /usr/src/linux/Documentation

I don't know the card you have, are you sure you're loading the correct module?

Hope this helps

LG
Leandro Gelasi
V year Computer Science Engineering student at Siena University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gilles Villeneuve will live forever

From: David Vogler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver for S3 Savage IX
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 13:24:45 +0200

Theodor Bastberget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Where can i find drivers for my S3 Savage IX Video card? I run RH 6.2 (try
> to)...

I have this card in my notebook and it is not supported yet, but a SVGA
beta server will be released soon. I use framebuffers to run X. It´s
not fast, but better than no X at all. Check out my notebook webpage
where you will find my complete XF86Config file:

http://lisas.de/~david/tsp4270/

--
David Vogler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://lisas.de/~david/

------------------------------

From: David Vogler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: updated v-card to Voodo03 2000??? help
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 13:38:39 +0200

Hi Tom,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've updated my video card to a VooDoo3 2000 PCI, downloaded the new

I have an Voodoo3 2000 AGP but I think that has nothing to do with your
problem.

> Glibc driver and glide packages and X_Package and XFSetup_Package from
> linux.3dfx.com site. Tried the install using rpm in the order shown on
> their page but when I tried to install the
> XFree86_3DFXSetup-3.3.3-5.i386.rpm, I get "failed dependencies - need
> XFree86-VGA16" I haven't been able to get past this and don't want to
> continue installing the drivers and glide until this gets installed.
> Any suggestions?

Yes: install the XFree86-VGA16 RPM. My RPMs are named a little bit
different, but XF86Setup (or your 3DFXSetup) needs the VGA16
XServer to run.

Hope it helps,

David

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: ide-scsi CD-R Problem With Newest Kernels (.14 & .15) - write_g1?!?!?!?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:25:29 GMT

I have done several searches for this issue, there seem to be a lot of
people experiencing it BUT I have not been able to find a solution
yet.

In kernels V2.2.14 and .15 I get random cdrecord failures such as:
(Sorry, it wraps a little.)

Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: 175 of 311 MB written (fifo 100%).cdrecord: Input/output
error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 01 5E C0 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F1 00 05 00 01 5E C0 0C 00 00 00 00 10 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, deferred error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x10 Qual 0x02 (id crc or ecc error) [No matching
qualifier] Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 89792 (valid)
cmd finished after 3.168s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 183894016 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:  310.268s
Fixating...
Fixating time:   76.473s
cdrecord: fifo had 5740 puts and 5613 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 5206 times full, min fill was
95%.

This all works perfectly in kernel V2.2.13.  I always use the same
config for each kernel upgrade/compile and use the "make oldconfig"
to incorporate it.

The other things I've tried are:
- Searching deja news
- reading the links off of the cdrecord home page.
- recompiling cdrecord on my system (V1.8a29)
- Installing the newest cdrecord (v1.8.1)

Does any one have any other experience to throw at this problem?  My
next tact is to start comparing the SCSI source between 2.2.13 and
2.2.14/15.  I don't hold out a lot of hope on this.  The modules I've
read so far have revision dates well before this problem showed up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

   Doug Mitton - Brockville, Ontario, Canada
                 'City of the Thousand Islands'
         EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          http://www.cybertap.com/dmitton
         Other: mitton.dyndns.org
   SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

From: "Peter Hutchison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:13:22 +0100

> If you run defrag in Win98, and show the details (I'm at work watching one
> go right now, whee!), it has this gigantic block of unmovable system files
> right up at the beginning.  I don't know what these are, I've never worked
> on one of these until a couple of months ago when I started working here.
> Now I'm curious, so I guess I'll have to do some poking around for some
more
> info on these "freaks of the PC world".

That file is the swap file used for virtual memory (instead of a swap
partition like
on Linux). What you can do is turn off virtual memory (see System Control
Panel)
and do a defrag again....

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Özgür Ayten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADAPTEC AVA 1505
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 14:56:37 GMT

Hi,

I have an Adaptec 1505 in my system (IOBASE=0x140, IRQ=9). This
configuration works perfectly under Windows 2000. I tried to use the aha152x
module, but it says that irq 9 is probably wrong and asks for a
verification...

Does someone know, how to solve this problem?

thanks in advance,

Özgür...

------------------------------

From: Maris Malic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP kernel panic on boot up
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 10:13:22 -0400

I just finished installing redhat61 on my intergraph td40 dual 133 box.
The installation found the 2 processors and, accordingly, provided two
stanzas in lilo.conf: linux (for dual proc), linux-up (for uni proc).
If i boot into linux-up, no problem.
If i boot into linux, problem  :-(

Here's the (some) output that gets generated when i try to boot into
linux (dual proc)....NOTE: bla=some string of hex numbers:

CPU1: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 0b
Toatal of 2 processors activated (106.29 BogusMIPS).
enabling sysmmetric IO mode... ...done.
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
no explicit IRQ entries, using default mptable
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffd000
current->tss.cr3 = 00101000,%cr3 = 00101000
*pde = bla
*pte = bla
Oops: 0002
CPU:   0
EIP:   0010:[<c0241a18>]
EFLAGS:bla
eax: bla bla bla
esi: bla bla bla
ds: bla bla bla
Process swapper (pid: 0, process nr: 0, stackpage=bla
Stack: bla bla bla
Call Trace: bla bla bla
Code: c7 05 00 d8 ff ff 00 00 00 00 a1 10 d0 ff ff 89 04 24 68 e0
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

Has anyone else been through these same things ???

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...\

From: Dave Tutka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Grub and CDRW...Help...
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:21:12 GMT

Hi...I am running a Yamaha CDRW4261 IDE drive , Caldera 2.4, and
apparently using GRUB. How do I configure grub to recognize my cdrw?? I
have already loaded the appropriate modules. Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Thanks   Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Uwe Malzahn)
Subject: Re: cdrecord question
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:23:19 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Andrew Kae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Matsushita (Panasonic) 7582 IDE cdr.  I've read
> through the CD-Writing Howto but I am still confused about
> one thing.
>
> Is it possible to write files and directories to a cd without making
> an image first?  I don't have 650 MB of my hard drive to spare for
> an image file.  In Windoze, Adaptec EZ-CD recorder can take in
> a list of files and then just burn them to a cd.  It seems to me the
> only way to make data cds is to make an image first and then use
> cdrecord to make the image into a cd.
>
> Can anyone help me out?

Sure, you can burn "on the fly". Try

mkhybrid -a -f -v -r -R -l -L -J "file_spec_of_files_you_want_to_burn" | \
cdrecord -v -multi -eject speed=2 fs=4m dev=0,6,0 -

and see man mkhybrid/mkisofs and man cdrecord

Cheers
Uwe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Grub and CDRW...Help...
Date: 07 May 2000 12:34:42 EDT

On Sun, 07 May 2000 16:21:12 GMT, Dave Tutka
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Hi...I am running a Yamaha CDRW4261 IDE drive , Caldera 2.4, and
>apparently using GRUB. How do I configure grub to recognize my cdrw?? I
>have already loaded the appropriate modules. Any help would greatly be

Why would GRUB need to recognize the CD-RW?  If you're trying to boot from
a CD, you need to set the BIOS to boot from a CD--has nothing to do with
GRUB at all.  You also need to make sure the CD you created is an El
Torito bootable CD (man mkisofs for info on that) and that it doesn't use
Joliet extensions (Rock Ridge extensions are OK.)

If the machine can find the kernel and boot properly, but your CD-RW is
not being recognized, that's another problem entirely.  Read the
CD-Writing HOWTO at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html and
follow its directions.  You'll probably need to have "append
hdX=ide-scsi" where X is the place the CD-RW is attached, as a parameter
that GRUB passes to the kernel upon boot.  Make sure SCSI support, SCSI
CD-ROM support, IDE-SCSI emulation, and SCSI Generic support are compiled
as modules, and make sure the line "alias scsi_hostadapter = ide-scsi" is
in /etc/conf.modules.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Gutierrez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pana 7585B CDRW and Linux
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 10:01:23 -0700

Can anyone confirm that this drive works properly under Linux? If so, what
limitations/problems does it have?

From: Bob Berman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cylinder 1024 (starting where)
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 17:21:49 GMT

The best solution is to upgrade LILO to version 21.4.2. The 1024
cylinder limit is
history. Just compile it, install it and add a line with "lba32"
somewhere in your
lilo.conf file. It'll boot from anywhere or any size disk.

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing X windows Default Resolution
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 13:33:13 -0400

  Where in /etc/XF86Config file does it indicate what default resolution

the X windows will use on startup. I wanted to experiment to change the
values.

                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: search for intellimouse protocol spec
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 20:43:47 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>        i am developing a new driver for MS-intellimouse(2 buttons +1
> wheel+1 button under wheel).i could not get a proper protocol specifi
> (4 byte protocol).man 4 mouse command tells very little.i will be
> glad if anyone explains atleast the 3byte protocol given in that
> command.

>From the man-page:

       The  Microsoft  protocol uses 1 start bit, 7 data bits, no
       parity and one stop bit at the  speed  of  1200  bits/sec.
       Data  is  sent  to  RxD  in 3-byte packets.  The dx and dy
       movements are sent as two's-complement, lb  (rb)  are  set
       when the left (right) button is pressed:

             byte   d6   d5    d4    d3    d2    d1    d0

                1   1    lb    rb    dy7   dy6   dx7   dx6
                2   0    dx5   dx4   dx3   dx2   dx1   dx0
                3   0    dy5   dy4   dy3   dy2   dy1   dy0

More detailed explanation:

You will get streams of 7-bit bytes from the serial port. If the most
significant bit in a byte is set (0x40) it means that this is the first
byte in a group of three.

Here is some pseudo-code:

char x_movement, y_movement;
int left_button_pressed;
int right_button_pressed;

while(1)
{
   do
   {
      read(iFdMouse, &b[0], 1);
   } while(!(b[0] & 0x40))
   read(iFdMouse, &b[1], 2);
   if(b[0] & 0x20)
      left_button_pressed = TRUE;
   else
      left_button_pressed = FALSE;
   if(b[0] & 0x10)
      right_button_pressed = TRUE;
   else
      right_button_pressed = FALSE;
   x_movement = ( (b[0] & 0x03) << 6 ) | (b[1] & 0x3f);
   y_movement = ( (b[0] & 0x0c) << 6 ) | (b[2] & 0x3f);
}

> p.s: will be highly obliged if your reply is cc to

If you don't care to search the newsgroup for an answer, why should I
care to waste my time to write you an answer? While searching for your
answer in the newsgroup, please take your time to answer some other
peoples questions.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: MegaSurge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Voodoo3 3500 and bttv
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 10:19:01 -0700

How can I setup my voodoo3 3500 to use the TV/FM Tuner abilities?  I
don't know what the chipset is for the card so I'm not sure what to
configure in bttv to make it work or is it even possible?  If it's not
possible with bttv is there any other apps/utils that can be used to get
these abilities functioning on my Voodoo3 3500?  Please help.  Thanks.

--
"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just
skimming

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Changing X windows Default Resolution
Date: 07 May 2000 15:11:37 EDT

On Sun, 07 May 2000 13:33:13 -0400, mike
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>  Where in /etc/XF86Config file does it indicate what default resolution
>
>the X windows will use on startup. I wanted to experiment to change the
>values.

>From my /etc/XF86Config :

Section "Screen"
  Driver        "SVGA"
  Device        "Primary-Card"
  Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     32
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
[,,,]

In 32-bit color depth, it will use 1024x768 as the default, and switching
to the others is possible with Ctrl-Alt-(Keypad +) and Ctrl-Alt-(Keypad
-).  If 800x600 came first in the Modes line, then X would start up in
800x600 with a 1024x768 virtual screen.  (You'll find out what that is if
you don't know already... most people hate it; a few love it.)

From: "Paul Voller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CTX VL500 Monitor Woes
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 20:41:30 +0100

I have an S3 Trio 3D connected to a CTX VL500 15 inch monitor.

Guess what? Xconfigurator cannot figure out a decent enough XF86config file
for it. I am having trouble getting it to diaply anything other than the
basic 8bpp/64x480.  I have looked on this newgrup and I have also tried
other sources (HOWTO's, etc.) with no luick.

Can anyone else help me please? It is not a rare monitor, and I do have the
Horiz and Vert Frequencies.  Any pointers/info is /greatly/ appreciated.

===
Paul Voller
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.theMullet.org.uk/paul

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CTX VL500 Monitor Woes
Date: 7 May 2000 19:44:18 GMT

Paul Voller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have an S3 Trio 3D connected to a CTX VL500 15 inch monitor.
: Guess what? Xconfigurator cannot figure out a decent enough XF86config file
: for it. I am having trouble getting it to diaply anything other than the
: basic 8bpp/64x480.  I have looked on this newgrup and I have also tried

What's to figure out? Just try the usual vesa modelines.

: other sources (HOWTO's, etc.) with no luick.

: Can anyone else help me please? It is not a rare monitor, and I do have the
: Horiz and Vert Frequencies.  Any pointers/info is /greatly/ appreciated.

Choose your own modelines. Edit XF86Config to taste. Look at the
XF86-Video-Timings-HOWTO if you want to make up your own from scratch,
but any old standard VESA ones should do.

Don't run XConfigurator if it messes up. Use something else. xf86config
is the best at doing things right.

Are you sure you're using the right driver? I had several S3 Trio 3D's
that I couldn't use until X 3.3.3 or so came out, but I got rid of them
since so I don't recall whether the SVGA, S3 or S3V ddriver was
correct. Check on xfree86.org for the drivers.

Peter