Linux-Hardware Digest #825, Volume #10           Thu, 22 Jul 99 21:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk? (Don Grbac)
  XServer problems with Ati Rage 128 ("Martin Kutz")
  Re: BT878 video capture based cards... (pasha)
  Re: Sounblaster Live Under Suse Linux 6.1 (Marc Mutz)
  Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller ("Robert M. Stockmann")
  Re: Running X on an LCD (Marc Mutz)
  Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Eternal Modem Problems... (John Patrick Krut)
  xcdroast 0.96e and Panasonic 7502 (SCSI) (Elvis Chen)
  Re: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration ("GuangJun Wu")
  Re: 2 NICS... one box ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Re: Building a Linux Box - comments? (David Pollack)
  Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk? (Les Schaffer)
  Re: SIS 6215c Help!! (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: XServer problems with Ati Rage 128 (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: ProStar 8250 15" LCD XF86Config problems (Marc Mutz)
  Intel MB (sandrews)
  Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk? ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Re: CD-RW: IDE or SCSI ? (Daniel de Young)
  Motherboard with SIS5513 IDE Chipset ("Trigger")

From: Don Grbac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:40:35 +0000

Hello,

I read somewhere how to make the full 100mb of a ZIP disk available in
Linux (normally 95mb is the max), but I lost the reference.  I
rechecked DejaNews to see if I could find it, but to no avail.  I
thought I knew what to do:

- Since the disk comes with 4 partitions, use fdisk or cfdisk to delete
the partitions and create a single partition as Linux native.

- cfdisk says to reboot Linux after writing the partition table, so I
did; I don't understand why; this is just a removable disk.
Incidently, I tried fdisk also; same result.

- Use mke2fs to format the disk for Linux.

After doing this, even less space is available on the disk; now only
90mb is available.  What is going on here?  Can anyone help?

Here is my mke2fs output, and output from df after mounting:

[root@orion3 /root]# mke2fs /dev/sdb1
mke2fs 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Linux ext2 filesystem format
Filesystem label=
24576 inodes, 98303 blocks
4915 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
12 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 16385, 24577, 32769, 40961, 49153, 57345,
        65537, 73729, 81921, 90113

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
[root@orion3 /root]# mount /mnt/zip
[root@orion3 /root]# df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sdb1              95182      13    90254      0%   /mnt/zip
[root@orion3 /root]#

It seems a shame to have a device that is capable of providing 100mb
and only get 95mb - or worse 90mb now!

There has got to be something I am not aware of.

Don

--
Registered Linux User - [It's not just for hackers anymore!]
Care about your family's health?  Check out

------------------------------

From: "Martin Kutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XServer problems with Ati Rage 128
Date: 22 Jul 1999 22:55:29 GMT

Hello,

I am installing Linux on a system with an ATI Rage 128. I can't get the
XServer running (not even with the standard VGA16 server, neither with the
SVGA server). I have S.u.S.E. version 6.0, does it contain an appropriate
server I haven't discovered yet, or do you know where I can get one?

martin.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:46:36 +0000
From: pasha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BT878 video capture based cards...

what about sound?
i cannot get sound from my fly tv II.
msp module needs some hack i guess...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:28:08 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sounblaster Live Under Suse Linux 6.1

Christian Bryan wrote:

> Could anyone assist in helping to install the Soundblaster Live module from
> the Creative Linux Developers site under Suse 6.1?
>
> I was initially able to do this easily when using Red Hat with kernel 2.5.
> The problem is that my version of Suse Linux 6.1 only provides the 2.7
> kernel and forcing the modules to load does not help even though I followed
> the documentation to manually install the modules.

simple: Upgrade to 2.2.10 :-)

Marc

-
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Stockmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:51:49 +0200

Mike Coakley wrote:

> I am having trouble installing a RedHat 6.0 installation onto a Compaq
> Proliant 4000 with the NCR53C710 controller. The installation simply cannot
> find the controller and cannot continue without it. (I know I shouldn't be
> saying this...) I can install MS WinNT without any problems and the
> controller is recognized and the system boots off of this controller/HD.
> Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Have a look here :

http://www.sleepie.demon.co.uk/ncr53c710/index.html

This is an experimental driver, but works OK on my EISA ncr710.
The machine is a Compaq Prosignia (old EISA iron ;)

Ask the maintainer for some redhat 6 bootfloppies :)

I can make them too if you want, but will need to install redhat 6
first.
redhat 5.2 is still my favorite. (on the other hand i have a spare
partition available)

Regards

Robert
--
++---------------------++---------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:11:06 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Running X on an LCD

http://marc.mutz.com/X/

Marc :-)

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: filesystem corruption >14days uptime
Date: 21 Jul 1999 16:22:02 -0700

"John King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A quick thought ...
> Somewhere on your debugging journey consider testing memory.
[snip snip]
> enough to confuse me. There aren't many good memory checkers either (least
> in MS world). Everybody just ASSUMES their memory is working right all the
> time. Most systems don't have any memory checks either.
I found one on sunsite that works really well---you can leave it running
for a day or so.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: John Patrick Krut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Eternal Modem Problems...
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:31:40 -0400

Thanks for the info Bruce!  Strangely enough, however,
after changing the BIOS COM settings to auto, minicom
connected to the modem immediately.  I dialled out to my
isp and connected also (and that's a first!) - unfortunately,
the isp thought I was an ethernet and disconnected after
45 seconds, but it's a start!

If I can't get the chat and pppd files working within the next
two days, I may just take your advise and download ezppp...
Thanks again for the advise!

From: Elvis Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: xcdroast 0.96e and Panasonic 7502 (SCSI)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:34:14 -0400

greetings,

I'm trying to get my Panasonic 7502 SCSI 4x writer to work with CXDRoast
0.96e.  My system is RH6, dual Pentium 400, and TekRam (sym8xx).  I can
copy the data CD with no problem.

However, I can not get it to read audio track correctly.  Under
Setup->CD-Reader->Audio-Read-Mode, I have tried all selections (SCSI3/MMC,
Philips, New Philips, Yamaha, Toshiba, Sony, Richo, and Teac) but none of
them reads audio correctly.  I got a file full of "0" instead.  When I get
it to "Autodetect", XCDRoast will report "Unsupported Device" instead.

Can anyone tell me if Panasonic SCSI CDR7502 will work with XCDRoast in
audio mode?  If so, how do I set it up?

thanx in advance,

Elvis

------------------------------

From: "GuangJun Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:21:11 -0400

The seller of Future Shop told me that the printer was not "winprinter" and
should work under linux,
but perhaps he didn't know what he said.
I found the installation
manual(http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Eist85g_gplus.p
df)
and the user's manual
(http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Emul85g_plus.pdf),
I holp it'll be useful.

Thank you for your help.

wu

Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "GuangJun Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I use the RedHat 6.0 with the kernel 2.2.5.15, my printer is Samsung
> > QwikLaser 85G. The printer is dedected at /dev/lp0, I have tried some HP
> > laser printers configuration and orthers by using "printtool",  when I
made
> > a test, I was told that the job was queued, but nothing was printed.
> > "lpq" told me the job was "active", and "dmesg" told me the printer is
"Out
> > of paper".
> >
> > Here are some infomations about the printer:
> > -Printer engine: Samsung ML-80
> > -Standard emulations: Microsoft Windows Printing System and PCL4.0
> > -Memory: This printer DOES NOT utilize internal memory.
>
> > What troubles me the most is that the printer has not internal memory.
Is

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 NICS... one box
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:49:01 GMT

The simplest manner to solve this problem (given that you already have
DHCP running with one of the cards) is to similarly force the other one to
also obtain it's address via dhcp by setting up a local server (on the
internal, non-routable side of the network)  What will happen is that when
the machines boots the card on the out side (let's saw for sake of
argument it is on the 24.x.x.x network and the internal one is on the
192.168.x.x network) will obtain it's IP by sending out a broadcast
request to the 24.x.x.x network and will recieve a corresponding response
and assignment.  Similarly the card on the 192.168.x.x network also
broadcasts (but does so on it's own ether which is the trick) and recieves
the appropriate assignment of an address on the 192.168.x.x network.

The nice thing about this setup is that you can set your dhcpd so that it
assigned "static" IPs to machines that it knows.  For example my server
assigns address 1-10 based on the NIC address of the cards in my machines,
but assigneds dynamic ones to those cards that it does not know (e.g.
friends or collegaues who bring their laptops by)

The draw back of this setup is that it requires a "server" on your local
network (which is not uncommon when your network topology includes a
firewall) which is capable of running the appropriate services (i.e. a
Win9x will not fit the bill)

For more information refer to the dhcpd documentation as it contains a
number of examples setting up various topologies.

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: David Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Box - comments?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:08:45 -0700

i have an hitachi that works too

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk?
From: Les Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:52:09 GMT

    >> After doing this, even less space is available on the disk; now
    >> only 90mb is available.  What is going on here?  Can anyone
    >> help?

i wrote a detailed note on this last year in c.o.l.misc. search deja
news with the subject heading:

tuning ext2fs for Zip drive backup disks

toot your horn if you need more details.

--
____        Les Schaffer              ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<---
Theoretical & Applied Mechanics          |  Designspring, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: SIS 6215c Help!!
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:00:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Cameron wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> More than likely this is a stupid question, but I'm a newbie so please
>> bear with me
>>
>> I've just installed Redhat 6 and can't get X-Windows (using KDE) to give
>> me a screen resolution higher than 320x200.
>>
>> I've tried using xconf and trying various combos of monitor and card
>> settings, but still can't get passed it. Are there maybe drivers for
>> this card, or maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>> I'm using a SIS 6215c (PCI) and a generic monitor. In Windows 95 I can
>> get up to 800x600 in color depths of 256 colors up to 24 bit.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Roscoe Cairney
>
>  I've just installed SuSE Linux on an HP Pavillion that has a SIS 530.  I
>was able
>to get 800x600 with 256 colors (8bpp). However, I had to manually configure
>the XF86Config file in order to get these results.

You can get it working with VESA Framebuffer support in the 2.2.x kernels,
and the FBDev X server.  Requires loading the SiS VESA 2.0 extensions TSR
from DOS and then jumping into Linux using loadlin.  Search this group
via Dejanews for a previous post I made detailing how to do this.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: XServer problems with Ati Rage 128
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:01:30 GMT

In article <01bed495$8a381760$2a01a8c0@solo>, Martin Kutz wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am installing Linux on a system with an ATI Rage 128. I can't get the
>XServer running (not even with the standard VGA16 server, neither with the
>SVGA server). I have S.u.S.E. version 6.0, does it contain an appropriate
>server I haven't discovered yet, or do you know where I can get one?
>
>martin.

Use Dejanews to search this group for numerous other posts regarding the
Rage  128.  Only way to make it work is to use VESA Framebuffer support
in a 2.2.x kernel and the Framebuffer X server.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:34:21 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ProStar 8250 15" LCD XF86Config problems

http://marc.mutz.com/X/

would you mind reading the comp.os.linux.{hardware,x,portable} ng's
before posting a FAQ?

Marc

From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel MB
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:18:32 +0000

I am considering purchasing an Intel MB SE 440BX-2.  Is this board
supported (RedHat 6.0) install planed) ?
I haven't found anything pro or con as of late.
I am thinking of PII400 on this board or a ASUS P5A SUPER7 with an AMD
K6III-400.
256mb ram, TNT AGP video.

Can anyone see any problems with the setups???

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:02:44 GMT

What you are running into is the overhead that is required by the extended
file system (ver2)  In addition to the basic tracking information the
format must also allocate a given density of inodes (think of an
inode as a pointer to a disk location) along with additional entries for
recovery information and a reserved chunk of space for the root user
(although the ids of users who can benefit from this space can be changed)
To changed the basic parameters of a formated disk consult "tune2fs" as
this will allow you to modify a number of things (included reserved blocks
and their owners)  To vary the inode density consult "mke2fs" and choose a
density which is appropriate for your needs.

In general though the 90meg format really does give the best mix of
parameters when you consider reliability, recoverability, maintainability,
etc...

If you really do need an extra 10megs it would probably be wiser to
consider a larger means of mass storage (one of the new zip 250's or a
superdisk in one of its variants, or CD,CDR,CDRW, or tape)

For more information consult the man pages related to the extended file
system-2 (section 8).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:24:12 -0700
From: Daniel de Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: CD-RW: IDE or SCSI ?

ULRICH wrote:

> dear reader of mij message
>
> I have an Adaptec 2940UW controller, with a Seagate ST36530W hard disk
> and an AMD k6 350 MHz processor
>
> Now, I like to buy a CD-RW, and I don't know whether to buy a SCSI
> rewriter (which seems logical to me, since I have a SCSI interface card
> AND I also use Crash98 (Win98, that is). But, I've heard that using
> Linux, an ATAPI rewriter can be used as if it was SCSI. I'm also not
> very sure if it is a good idea to connect two SCSI devices on one SCSI
> cable (UW !) On the other hand, when the CDRW is a U-scsi device, I have
> to use an additional 50 pins Ultra cable, anyway.
>
> thank you for making some light in the darkness
>
> Ulrich
> --
> ***************Jah guidens***********************
>
> Ulrich Gruen
> Amsterdamse straatweg 609bis-a/2
> 3553 EJ  Utrecht
> 030-2420019
> ICQ: 35629246

Just picked up a ATAPI Mitsumi for $140 and it works great (for data anyway).
If you have a SCSI card already you might as well use it though.  If you go
with ATAPI the kernal build is easy enough.

As usual, the CD-write-HOWTO has every bit of info you need.  I highly suggest
reading it before you take the next step.

Good luck,

Daniel

------------------------------

From: "Trigger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motherboard with SIS5513 IDE Chipset
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:38:10 GMT

HI,

I have been trying to get Linux 5.2 and 6.0 installed on my k6-300 with a
motherboard (don't know the make) that has a sis5513 IDE controller onboard.
I keep getting idle task cannot sleep.  It causes a gpf and the system locks
after a while.  I have only an ATI Expression+ 2meg video, a Dlink520T
ethernet card and a samsung 1.6 gig drive.  Is there a command on the
install startup that will not probe the ide channel?  Any and ALL help would
be appreciated! Thanks in advance