From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aha152x
Date: 25 May 2001 16:13:37 GMT

Short Version:

I can't use my scsi zip drive because aha152x.o won't insert!
(The drive works fine under Win98)

Long Version:

I can't get my SCSI zip drive working under Linux.
(either 2.2.16 or 2.2.18, haven't tried 2.4 kernels)

- I've widdled my kernel down to a bare minimum.
- sd_mod and scsi_mod insert fine
- modprobe aha152x >> logs always suggests I'm using the wrong IRQ

The I/O Port is correct, and the SCSI ID doesn't seem to matter by
the time of failure. I've tried this with sd_mod/scsi_mod/aha152x all
as modules, all compiled into the kernel, and some mismatch.

My lilo.conf append line is being read correctly when it's all in the
kernel. My modules.conf options line is being read correctly when it's
a modules. Example

        alias   scsi_zip aha152x
        options aha152x  aha152x=0x140,9,7

I've tried IRQs 9, 10 and 11 - all with the correct jumpers.
(11 was a pain, and I can't do 12, so if you give me advice, please
remember I'd prefer IRQs 9 or 10.)

I've also tried with all the options on and off: reconnect, parity,
synchrony, translation. I've even extended the delay from the default
100 up to 1000. At least then it takes longer to fail :)

I've searched everywhere, and I have found posts from people with
similar problems, but none that really help me. Any advice would be
extremely appreciated...?

-Chuck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 - booting locks up
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:46:36 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Hans Streibel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> My notebook stops during the boot process if I have the Adaptec SlimSCSI
> 1480 (APA-1480A) card bus card installed. This is what I am running:
> - SuSE 6.2
> - kernel 2.2.18pre21
> - pcmcia 3.1.22

Try upgrading to a 2.2.19 kernel and pcmcia 3.1.26 first and see if that
fixes the problem. The pcmcia package is quite old in particular.
This may sound daft but is the cable properly seated? From the list of
bugs for the PCMCIA package

o The kernel aic7xxx driver, which is linked into the apa1480_cb
  driver, can generate spurious interrupts when a card is initialized,
  which can cause system lockups.  This will usually happen if the
  card is inserted with no SCSI cable attached.

  Prognosis: I've sent a patch to the driver maintainer.  The problem
  can be mostly mitigated by disabling use of PCI interrupts for
  CardBus cards, by setting PCIC_OPTS="pci_int=0".  This setting does
  not work on some newer laptops; in those cases, you'll have to wait
  for a kernel update to fix the problem.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

------------------------------

From: "H. C. Hodges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Monster Fusion
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:47:16 -0500

First of all, HUGE thanks to Mr Hayward!  I was getting fed up with not
being able to get X up-and-running on my home machine.

I just thought I'd add my bit to this...  this particular patch (319) has
changed numbers, and is number 426 on the version there today.  I can't get
to my machine right now, but basically, it's called banshee.ramtiming (?) or
somesuch -- so if it changes numbers to something different, make sure to
find that line.

And don't do what I did -- comment out the actual line that begins with
"%patch426" as opposed to the "Patch426" line; they're not the same...  :)

Anyway, thanks again...  fixed me perfectly.

-hch

news:MxRO6.487$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NVidia almost works but not quite! Help!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:18:13 -0400

> I've loaded XFree86 4.0.1 with Mandrake 7.2 and then installed the NVidia
> driver for my M64 TNT2 AGP graphics card and it seems to work but the system
> keeps coming up with an error about x spawning too fast and disabling for 5
> minutes. Other than the X display constantly flicking on and off during
> this, it seems to work ok.
> Does anyone have any ideas because after months spent to get this far I'm
> starting to get depressed!
> I've run a script from I think it's Loki that checks that the NVidia drivers
> are installed correctly and that says it's fine so what the hell is wrong
> with it now!
> Please help before I stamp on my graphics card and have to buy an ATI one!

I had the exact same problem a few days ago...

I solved this by making sure the NVIDIA_kernel was correctly installed, if done
by RPMs I strongly suggest using src.rpms.  I found out after some time the rpms
I tried to install might not be the ones I needed and tried from src.rpms,
--rebuild and install, then it worked perfectly...

Make sure you follow exactly what is in NVidia's readme at the download page for
their drivers.

If the 'nvidia' driver does not work, you can set it to 'nv' which has no 3D
acceleration but should work...

Hope this helps!
  I'll be waiting for you in the Q3 arena! ;)

 Simon

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Simon Lemieux                  | http://666Mhz.myip.org/   |

------------------------------

From: lahaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PC Hardware detection help
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:42:26 -0400

I'm trying to create a shell-script that would report the exact hardware
configuration of a linux machine (especialy a PC)

What I need is to detect THE FREE SLOTS.
For example, I have 2 SDRAM SIMMS: How much free slot are there? 1? 2?
Same thing for the PCI slots: How much free PCI slots are free?
I've tryed to use lm_sensors and /proc informations, but I'm only able to
detect active devices

BTW Is there a way to detect if a PCI device is a virtual one (example: a
chipset) or a real one plugged into a real slot?

Is there a way to detect that 3 devices resides on the SAME physical bus
(example: the pinnacle DV500 is one board that has a DEC bridge, a C-Cube
E4 device, a ieee1394 device and a v4l device)

My purpose is: I'm sysadmin, of remote linux boxes, and I need to know what
can be added in a remote box without having to travel to see what I can add
in the box)

Is there a way to read the BIOS version and manufacturer and the Mainboard
revision?

Many thanks for any tips or solutions

--
        Olivier LAHAYE

------------------------------

From: "Ted Weldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Completely screwed by aic7xxx
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:19:21 -0500

I disabled the on-board scsi and dropped a 2940U2W card in and now it works
fine.  If I reduce the bus speed on the 7899, I still get crashes, so it
isn't a cabling/termination problem.

It guess it really isn't so strange that a driver which works well with one
card/chipset doesn't do so hot with another (for me at least).

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Roger Lindmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 20:57:43 +0200

hac wrote:
> XCDRoast version 0.98alpha8 is misconfigured to install as suid root.
> Change the permissions to 755 and gtk will be happy, but you will need
> to su to root to run XCDRoast.  Presumably future versions will not
> require root access, as the right way to do this is to manipulate the
> burner permissions, not the executable.

Thanks I changed to chmod 755 for all programs involved in /usr/bin and
xcdroast seems to work now, but when I make a testburn of an image file, I
get this error message from cdrecord:

cdrecord: Warning: using default CD write parameter data.
Mode Select Data 00 10 00 00 05 32 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
96 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
cdrecord: Cannot open new session.

CDR-Toaster works however, very well under identical conditions. Very
strange.

Sincerely Yours

Roger

--
Roger Lindmark
OS/2 Warp 4.06

------------------------------

From: "Philip Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Primax Scanner
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 20:02:58 +0100

Hello
Wonder if anybody has got a Primax Colorado 19200 USB
scanner to work under Linux?

From: "Patrick Draper/Austin/Sector 7 USA, Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpad A21m sound config issue
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:04:32 GMT

Chaos Magickian wrote:

> Well, I installed Alsa and I am still getting a problem. Any ideas on
> configuring this?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

I too have the same problem with my A21m. Does anyone know how to go
about finding what IRQ, dma channels, and port address the sound card
lies at? These are configuration parameters for the Alsa driver, and if
I knew what to put there, I think it would work.

------------------------------

From: Charles Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI scanner
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 20:12:27 +0100

I have a Umax Astra 1220S connected to my Linux box using an Adaptec
AHA1524B SCSI controller.  When logged in as root, scanimage -L correctly
lists the device:

dilbert:/etc # scanimage -L
device `umax:/dev/scanner' is a UMAX     Astra 1220S      flatbed scanner
device `umax:/dev/sg4' is a UMAX     Astra 1220S      flatbed scanner

However, when logged in using my own account I get the following message:

charles@dilbert:~ > scanimage -L

find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which came
with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Anyone able to suggest how to get the scanner recognised by my own account?

Cheers,

Charles.

------------------------------

From: "Coles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @Home setup SO SLOW
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:14:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "LRW"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can get connected to the @Home service, and can even ping out and
> resolve addresses, etc, but my x-fer rate is no more than about 2kbps!
> And stalls out constantly.

I had the same problems, maybe even worse. I started off with static ip
configuration. They changed their routers. Turned out, the new routers
are setup to drop packets if you didn't get your address via dhcp. They
said it was a 'security measure' BS more like it. I now use dhcpcd from
ISC's dhcp package. I believe the command is something like:

dhcpcd -B -h cg12345-a

The -B means broadcast and was necessary in my area.

<shameless rant>
@Home has no clue when it comes to anything besides Windows. That icludes
security.
</shameless rant>

------------------------------

From: lahaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sblive Drive IR and LIRC
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:27:46 -0400

I'd like to use my creative remote control (SONY RM-900) under linux.

The remote controle reciever would be the sound blaster live platinium with
the "DRIVE IR" rack.

Unfortunately I can't see any infos on a potential support bay LIRC of this
hardware.

Is this material compatible with something else so that LIRC can support it
at this time?

--
        Olivier LAHAYE

------------------------------

Subject: Source for custom PC CASE BADGES
From: SecurisysAgency <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:28:45 GMT

--MS_Mac_OE_3073667190_670181_MIME_Part

Custom Case badges with your own design or a range of COOL designs to choose
from.
http://www.securisysagency.com/

Full colour printing
Clear resin doming for 3D effect
Secure online ordering
Quantities from 10 - 10000s!
Linux Tux badges
Owr cool designs to choose from.
Tamper proof and warranty labels
Port labels
Any shapes and sizes
FREE shipping worldwide

You can order your badges online now at:
http://www.securisysagency.com/

--MS_Mac_OE_3073667190_670181_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Source for custom PC CASE BADGES</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Custom Case badges with your own design or a range of COOL designs to choos=
e from.<BR>
http://www.securisysagency.com/<BR>
<BR>
<UL><LI>Full colour printing
<LI>Clear resin doming for 3D effect
<LI>Secure online ordering
<LI>Quantities from 10 - 10000s!
<LI>Linux Tux badges
<LI>Owr cool designs to choose from.=20
<LI>Tamper proof and warranty labels
<LI>Port labels
<LI>Any shapes and sizes
<LI>FREE shipping worldwide<BR>
</UL><BR>
You can order your badges online now at:<BR>
http://www.securisysagency.com/<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

From: "Frederik Himpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sane does not detect scanner anymore
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:38:39 +0200

I use Linux-Mandrake 8 and I have a Snapscan 1236s scanner (which is
supported by sane). I loaded the correct modules for the Adaptec SCSI card
it is connected to. After installing the Sane binaries from the Mandrake
cd's, I was able to start scanning with The Gimp.

But then the problem began: The system hung completely, and I had to reset
the computer. While booting, Kudzu popped up, informing me it had detected
new hardware (the scanner), and it configured it (I'm still wondering what
had to be configured because I was already able to use it...). But since
then, I can't scan anymore. When I choose Xtns -> Acquire Image ->
snapscan'dev'sgb in The Gimp, I get the message "Failed to open device
'snapscan'dev'sgb': Invalid argument". When running xsane or xscanimage,
it says it could not find the scanner.

The SCSI card and scanner are still recognised by the kernel:
aha152x:
BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s) aha152x: resetting bus...
aha152x1: vital data: rev=3, io=0x140 (0x140/0x140), irq=11, scsiid=7,
reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=1000,
extended translation=disabled aha152x1: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi1 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 2.4 $
  Vendor: AGFA      Model: SNAPSCAN 1236     Rev: 1.20 Type:   Scanner
                         ANSI SCSI revision: 02s

So, what could be wrong that sane can't find it anymore? Could it be that
/dev/sgb is not anymore the address of the scanner?

[frederik@Jupiter dev]$ ls -l /dev/sgb lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root
     3 Apr 20 23:03 /dev/sgb -> sg1 [frederik@Jupiter dev]$ ls -l /dev/sg1
crw-rw----    1 frederik cdwriter  21,   1 Apr 14 13:06 /dev/sg1

If anyone can give me some hints to get this working without having to
compile and install sane from the sources, I really would appreciate it.

Frederik

--
Powered By Linux! http://www.linux-mandrake.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:44:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Coles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "LRW"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I can get connected to the @Home service, and can even ping out and
>> resolve addresses, etc, but my x-fer rate is no more than about 2kbps!
>> And stalls out constantly.

> I had the same problems, maybe even worse. I started off with static ip
> configuration. They changed their routers. Turned out, the new routers
> are setup to drop packets if you didn't get your address via dhcp. They
> said it was a 'security measure' BS more like it. I now use dhcpcd from
> ISC's dhcp package. I believe the command is something like:

> dhcpcd -B -h cg12345-a

> The -B means broadcast and was necessary in my area.

> <shameless rant>
> @Home has no clue when it comes to anything besides Windows. That icludes
> security.
> </shameless rant>

That's interesting...  I also use Comcast @Home and haven't noticed that,
though I have had my fair share of problems (outages, lousy service)...
Did your upload speed recently drop, too?

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Frederik Himpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Primax Scanner
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:48:15 +0200

In article <9ema61$3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Philip Thompson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wonder if anybody has got a Primax Colorado 19200 USB scanner to work
> under Linux?

Check the Sane compatibility list:
http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

Greetings,
Frederik

From: "Frederik Himpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8 fonts
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:49:34 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Frank Miller"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The fonts in the download version of Mandrake 8 have a problem.  Has
> anyone had chance to try the "store bought" version to see if this has
> been addressed?

I don't know about this problem in the Deluxe version of Mandrake, but
there are several solutions to solve it:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/article.php?sid=14&mode=thread&order=0

Greetings,
Frederik