Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:06:13 -1000
From: "Vann H. Walke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexmark Z51 or Epson Stylus Color 900 Experiences Wanted

I'm looking at getting one of the two printers.   They are both listed
as "partial" on Grant Taylor's (excellent) summary of Linux print
drivers (http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/).  Does anyone have any
experience working with these printers?  How "partial is the support?
Should I expect the drivers to continue improving?

Basically, should I waste my money on one of these things?  Is there
another printer I should be buying?  My first priority is image quality
(including on plain paper), followed by price and speed.

Thanks,
Vann

------------------------------

From: "HaTcH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: no operating system?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:08:31 +0200

Larry Clark wrote in message <01bed544$e8761de0$039cd8cc@discflo>...
>now I have a no operating system warning.
>I tried to go to console and load the xfree86_s3v server and it went to
>init kill or something like that....then I did a ctrl-alt-del and backed
>out then tried to restart my system and thats what I got.......dud...what
>happened....I thought it would boot fine.......dud.....

Don't use S3V server! It's unsupported. Use SVGA one. (It uses 24bit colors
on virge boards too)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:17:13 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get true 100mb from a ZIP disk?

> > > Here is my mke2fs output, and output from df after mounting:
> > >
> > > [root@orion3 /root]# mke2fs /dev/sdb1
> > > mke2fs 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> > > Linux ext2 filesystem format
> > > Filesystem label=
> > > 24576 inodes, 98303 blocks
> > > 4915 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> > > First data block=1
> > > Block size=1024 (log=0)

98303 blocks * 1024 bytes/block = 100662272 bytes, or 100MB
You reserved 4915.
98303 - 4915 = 93388 blocks available
93388 * 1024 = 95629312 bytes, or 95 MB

> > > [root@orion3 /root]# df
> > > Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> > > /dev/sdb1              95182      13    90254      0%   /mnt/zip

Try 'mke2fs -m 0 -b 1024 /dev/sdb1' and reading mke2fs(8).
--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DAT tape device on Mylex DAC960 PCI card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:12:25 GMT

unless one of the [unused] channels can also double as a regular old
scsi port.  which, I think, the mylex cards can.

Tony Platt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: You can't normally run tape drives or crdoms on RAID controllers

: Tony

: Carl van Litsenborgh wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
: >I am running Redhat 6 on a Pentium II with a Mylex DAC960 card
: >installed.
: >I have 5 disks on channel 0 (ID 0 - 4), and they all work fine.
: >
: >I installed a SONY AIT SDX-300 DAT tape drive on channel 0 ID 5.
: >The Mylex DOS tools see the device correctly.
: >
: >How do I configure the DAT as a Linux tape device ?
: >
: >Any suggestions/comments are welcome.
: >
: >Thank you
: >
: >Carl van Litsenborgh
: >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
: >

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: "James Jose" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x-windows with i740 display adapter
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:23:01 +1000

ftp://ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/pi/XFCom/

news:7nc5bk$7hi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:22:03 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motherboard question

> Yesterday I got a very reasonable quote from local company on a PIII
> 450 system with a FIC motherboard.  They'll give me an ASUS board
> instead for $45 extra.

Normally always take the ASUS if it's from the P2B family or 440BX
chipset.

I've had a P2L97, P2B and two P2B-F's.  Zero complaints.

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: spin down HDD
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:07:53 -0400

I use hdparm to spin down my HDD after 1/2 hr or so.
the problem is, it spins up again after 1/2 hr. then it spins back down.
has anyone had that problem?
why wont it stay asleep?
the system seems idle. no hdd activity detected.

##                                                    ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: support for Quickcam cameras
Date: 23 Jul 1999 21:21:47 GMT

Is there any support in Linux for QuickCam cameras (now made by
Logitech)?

Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob)
Subject: Re: Where should I buy PC *parts* onine?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:42:13 GMT

http://www.trudata.com

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No Driver Support
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:43:21 -0700

then don't support the company--SB has been much more friendly lately.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI or PNP
Date: 22 Jul 1999 15:42:07 -0700

really?  tell that to my nic and soundcard...so many pnp devices are
buggy, that's the problem.  read through some of the device driver
source and see what the developers have to contend with.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Veli-Matti Lintu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hauppage WinTV-theater remote
Date: 24 Jul 1999 10:38:10 GMT

Does anyone know if the lirc-package support the Hauppage WinTV-theater
ir-receiver? I grabbed the cvs-tree of the lirc-package and applied the
hauppage-patches for it and everything seems to be ok, but the lircd-daemon
just doesn't work (it loads the config-file and exits right after that).
What I've understood is that the WinTV-Radio card connects the ir-receiver
in the S-VHS connector of the tv-card, but this Theater-model has a
separate ir-receiver connector. Is this true and could this be the problem?

What I'm running:

Asus P5A, K6-2/300
Matrox Productiva G100

Redhat 5.2 with tons of upgrades
Kernel 2.2.10
bttv (latest package from the homepages)
kwintv 0.7.1
lirc 0.5.5 with lirc_haup driver

I had no problems installing the card and getting bttv to work correctly, but
what I've done to get the lirc-driver to work:

- changed the i2c.h -file and recompiled the kernel and the modules
- got the latest lirc cvs-tree
- got the hauppage patch from http://www.in.tum.de/~letsch/linux.eng.html
- configured the above with ./configure --with-driver=hauppauge
- removed the -D__SMP__ entry from the lirc_haup/Makefile
- compiled and installed

The lirc_haup -module loads ok with modprobe, but it doesn't write any
log files, so I can't say if it has initialized itself correctly. When
I start the lircd-daemon, the only thing it does is that it loads the config
file and quits. Neither does the irrecord get anything when I try to run it.

Has anyone got the remote to work with this card?

------------------------------

From: Nelson Hogg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xeon and fan noise?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:31:18 -0400

I need some advice on a xeon machine as I recently had to send back one
from penguin computing because the 8 internal fans made it sound like a
helicopter about to take off. In a quiet office this was too much. Can
anyone tell me where to look for a quality machine that is also quiet?

Thanks, Nelson Hogg

linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Puzzled)
Subject: HELP!: RH6 breaks printer. *@!#$*
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:52:11 GMT

hi

I just upgraded from RH5.2 to RH6 and now the printer doesn't work.

In RH5.2 the printer was on lp1, now it seems the printer is on lp0.
At least that is what 'printtool' says.
When i try to print all i get are blank pages. Printer works fine in winblows
and was fine yesterday with RH5.2.

I checked /etc/printcap file to make sure it was lp0
':lp=/dev/lp0'  line is in the file.

I tried lp1 and lp2 to make sure but those just stay in the spool saying
the printer is offline when i do lpq

Any ideas what on earth is going on?

Regards
Rumpole

Please remove 's' in email address to reply..
.a precaution against spammers who
harvest email address's from newsgroups.

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux, newbe, hard and sofware question
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:54:27 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Elector) writes:

[...]

>I'm thinking about building a machine (PC) just for Linux, and to that
>I have a few hardware-related questions.

>1. Is 64MB RAM enough (I realy hope so)

64 MB will certainly do it, unless you wanted to run some serious
memory-hogs .

>2. Is a Pentium 200, or something in that area, fast enough?

Just fine.

>3. Where can I find a list of supported hardware, I have a couple of
>PCI-Cards I would like to use, but don't know if they are supported?

PCI cards in general are well supported; serial PCI cards usually
are the big exception, though. What cards do you want to use ?
BTW, the manufacturers of the various Linux distributions do offer
online pages which might contain the lists of known-to-be-working
hardware (www.redhat.com , www.suse.com etc.) .

>And now the software questions.

>1. Can a "Linux-Box" run a gateway for my Winblows, so that I won't
>notice on the Windows-PC (you know log onto NT-Domains, use network
>printers and so on)?

Yes. It's called "IP masquerading/firewalling" and "SAMBA" .

>2. Are there any programs that will let me remote controll it from a
>Windows-PC?

VNC .

>3. It is possible to run a Linux-Machine without other OS'es
>installed, right, I mean only Linux on the HD?

Heh :) This is an OS, you know :))

>4. Can Linux read/write FAT16/32 and NTFS, without any problems?

Linux supports FAT16/32 just fine. NTFS support is still in BETA
stade, and presently just a read-only driver exists (for NTFS
volumes). However, if you connect to the machine holding the
NTFS partition over the network (say, via SAMBA to the NT system),
then you'll have no problem of read/write limitations (others than
those manually selected [permissions]) . You just can't write
onto a mounted NTFS partition at this time.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Puzzled)
Subject: Re: HELP!: RH6 breaks printer. *@!#$*..also note that...
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:59:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Puzzled) wrote:
>Newsgroups:
> linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardwar
>e,aus.computers.linux
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Puzzled)
>Subject: HELP!: RH6 breaks printer. *@!#$*
>Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:52:11 GMT
>
>hi
>
>I just upgraded from RH5.2 to RH6 and now the printer doesn't work.
>
>In RH5.2 the printer was on lp1, now it seems the printer is on lp0.
>At least that is what 'printtool' says.
>When i try to print all i get are blank pages. Printer works fine in winblows
>and was fine yesterday with RH5.2.
>
>I checked /etc/printcap file to make sure it was lp0
>':lp=/dev/lp0'  line is in the file.
>
>I tried lp1 and lp2 to make sure but those just stay in the spool saying
>the printer is offline when i do lpq
>
>Any ideas what on earth is going on?

i should add i have compiled parallel support and 1284 support into kernel
(printer is hp deskjet 660c)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven Taylor)
Subject: partition problems
Date: 24 Jul 1999 03:34:07 GMT

I just installed a 13gb HD (my old 2.1gb died), and decided to go ahead
and upgrade the whole dern box (K2-400, 128mb ram). I've been using
Linux for about 5 years now (I don't think that this problem is a new
one), anyway I can't get the HD to partition the way I would like it to.
Here's what I've set up:
Maxtor DiamondMax 91303D6 (13gb, IDE)
ASUS P5a shows:
Size: 13031
CYLS: 25249
HEAD: 16
PRECOMP: 65535
LANDZ: 25248
SECTOR: 63

I installed everything, booted up a win95 (osr2) floppy, ran fdisk and
partitioned as follows: (by the way I did NOT use the Large disk support
option in WIN95 fdisk)
Partition 1: Active  Primary DOS 502MB  FAT16 #win95
Partition 2:         Extended DOS  11923MB
Partition 3:   Logical UNKNOWN 126MB #Going to use this for Linux swap
"       " 4:      "      "     502MB #Linux /
"       " 5:      "      "     1028MB # Linux /usr
"       " 6:      "      "     2047MB # Linux /usr/local/
"       " 7:      "      "     2047MB #Linux /storage_drive for backing up
"       " 8:      "     FAT16  502MB  # win95 partitions
"       " 9:      "      "     502MB    "
Partition 19:  Logical  UNKNOWN 651MB

Anyway the DOS/WIN95 fdisk happily set the partitions (all as FAT16
type), and I installed WIN95 on the first (primary,active) partition
 - no problems.

Then I stuck the RH5.1 boot diskette and CDROM in, booted up the
machine, started the install program in expert mode, moved to the
partitioning menu, chose fdisk, hit 'p' for "print the partition
table", and got this output:

Disk /tmp/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device     Boot Begin   Start  End       Blocks       Id      System
/tmp/hda1    *  1       1      64      514048+        6     DOS 16-bit >=32M
/tmp/hda2       65      65     1584   12209400        f     Unknown
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(1583, 254, 63)

Well, I can't change anything in the extended partition because I can't
use it!

HELP !!

(I hope that this mailer doesn't scramble the message - if it does let
me know and I'll re-post it)

P.S. Go ahead and post your reply to the NG, I'm sure I'm not the only
one to have this problem - but - please email me with your help as
well (I check my email more often).

Thanks a lot !!

------------------------------

From: "Ian Willmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need support for Asus V3800 Riva TNT2.
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:47:23 +0200

Hi all

I've got the above mentioned display card and want to eventually run Redhat
6
on my new machine but am concerned about support for my display card.

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks
Ian Willmore
Cape Town