Linux-Hardware Digest #918, Volume #10            Tue, 3 Aug 99 13:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card (Tim Smith)
  Re: 3 button mouse (benjamin j snyder)
  Re: 3 button mouse (Lev Evyatar Givon)
  Re: 3 button mouse ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Compiling UAE gives signal 11. (Mike Frisch)
  SBLive + RH6 Problems (Vincent M Colombo)
  Re: SOCORRO!!!! HELP!!!! LINUX!!!!! (Michael A. G. Cohn)
  Re: temperature monitor (Yousuf Khan)
  Re: LILO and a 10GB disk??? (Mike Frisch)
  Re: capture card for linux ("fung")
  Re: LILO and a 10GB disk??? (mroccella)
  SCSI emulation layer & CDRW (Charlton Wilbur)
  Re: LILO and a 10GB disk??? (David C.)
  Re: s: mim. Linux incl. X (Klas Kalass)
  Re: SCSI vs. IDE (B'ichela)
  Re: Capturing video from a digital camcorder/camera through the serial port
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  artec as6u usb scanner (Ian Fiske)
  Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^& (David C.)
  Re: SCSI vs. IDE (David C.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card
Date: 3 Aug 1999 06:11:09 -0700

David Fox <d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u> wrote:
>Oh, I thought it was a non-stupid newsgroup but I can see I was
>mistaken.  I'll try to be less helpful in the future.

That's probably a good idea, since if you are as stupid as you sound, your
being helpful must have been a fluke.  Usenet is a very wasteful mechanism
for the distribution of binaries.  It is also extremely obnoxious to those
who have slow or expensive connections.

If you really want to be helpful, instead of simply being a jerk, post a
URL to where the binary can be found.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: Re: 3 button mouse
Date: 3 Aug 1999 13:31:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bobby D. Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Gunnar wrote:
>
>> Please suggest a 3 button ( I'd rather buy a 3button than a 2b.+1 wheel)
>> PC mouse, that:
>>  - works fine with Linux and X Windows (all 3 buttons)
>>  - does not require switches, holding down left button during boot, or
>> any other extra work, (I hate my present mouse)
>
>My Kensington "ValuMouse" works fine with Linux/X.

I have a Logitech FirstMouse+ (the FirstMouse is the 2+wheel, plus is 3button).
I find the mouse VERY comfortable to use and it only cost ~$20.  It's a PS/2
mouse, but it comes with an adapter for serial, which I've never had a problem
getting to work - but I know people who have.
--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: Lev Evyatar Givon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:42:10 -0400

Gunnar wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Please suggest a 3 button ( I'd rather buy a 3button than a 2b.+1 wheel)
> PC mouse, that:
>  - works fine with Linux and X Windows (all 3 buttons)
>  - does not require switches, holding down left button during boot, or
> any other extra work, (I hate my present mouse)
>
> Has anyone any comments on the Logitech Pilot mouse (3 buttons)?
>
> T.I.A.
> Gunnar

I am currently using a Genius Netmouse Pro (serial port version) with Linux
without any problems whatsoever. This mouse has two ordinary buttons, a
"web-browser" wheel-type button, and a fourth button on its side (!). With
a bit of XF86Config manipulation (and the imwheel driver package), you can
map the side button and the web-browser button in such a way as to permit
web-browser scrolling and cutting/pasting in X.

L.G.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:51:14 -0500

Gunnar wrote:

> Please suggest a 3 button ( I'd rather buy a 3button than a 2b.+1 wheel)
> PC mouse, that:
>  - works fine with Linux and X Windows (all 3 buttons)
>  - does not require switches, holding down left button during boot, or
> any other extra work, (I hate my present mouse)

My Kensington "ValuMouse" works fine with Linux/X.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Compiling UAE gives signal 11.
Date: 3 Aug 1999 13:36:45 GMT

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:14:50 -0400, Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Attemping to compile UAE, the U* Amiga Emulator, 0.7.6, I get a signal
>11 *EVERY* time at the exact same spot, make again is the same, every
>time.

Have you looked at the SIG11 FAQ @ http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11?  You
should take a look and perhaps do a couple of the tests to ensure it's not
a hardware problem.  The fact that the build is breaking in the same place
heavily favours it not being a hardware problem, but it's worth a look
anyway.

Are you able to compile a recent kernel on this same machine without
getting a SIG11?  How about 10 in a row?

>I am running a new-to-me VA-503+ motherboard, with a K6 300Mhz (it might
>be a K6-2, the BIOS reports it as such, but /proc/cpuinfo doesn't...)
>which originally was set to 100Mhz bus speed, 3x clock, so I turned it
>down to the specifications, 66Mhz bus 4.5x clock, no change.

Your memory could also be at fault.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: Vincent M Colombo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBLive + RH6 Problems
Date: 3 Aug 1999 14:50:08 GMT

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my SBLive to work. I got the .3 beta drivers from
Creative and tried installing them. The first time I got an error saying
that the soundcore already existed. So, I renamed the soundcore.0 fine as
sndcrbkup or something and tried the install again. This time it said it
completed successfully. However, upon restarting it produces an error
basically saying it can't find the soundcore even though it is in there
(the new one, not the one I renamed).

If anyone else out there with RH6 could give me some pointers as to how
you got this card working, I'd appreciate it.

Thanx,

Vince

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael A. G. Cohn)
Subject: Re: SOCORRO!!!! HELP!!!! LINUX!!!!!
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:51:03 GMT

I recall it was [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Kilian) who said:

>In this case, I apologize (and will have a close look at the netiquette).
>
>Kili

That's not something I see much. Please note that despite the
momentum-driven flames pointed at you, your gracious apology is
appreciated.

        - Michael
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Take a man out of a pestilential jungle where people he doesn't
 know are trying to kill him for reasons he doesn't understand
 and. . . his need to shoot smack goes away."
     - Dan Baum, _Smoke and Mirrors_

------------------------------

From: Yousuf Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: temperature monitor
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:52:51 GMT

In article <R4Po3.1602$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Jimmy Caldwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you have a MB with a LM75 or LM78 monitoring chip you can find the
LM
> Monitoring software here:
>
> http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapp1.html#drive

Thanks, got it.

     Yousuf Khan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO and a 10GB disk???
Date: 3 Aug 1999 13:38:36 GMT

On Mon, 02 Aug 1999 20:43:53 -0700, Kenneth Kellum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I _think_ lilo won't work with this.  (Am I correct?)  Must the linux partition
>start within the first 8 gig?

The Linux _boot_ partition must be below the 1024 cylinder "barrier".
Since you've already installed everything, just boot from a floppy instead
of the hard drive and you don't have to change anything.

From: "fung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: capture card for linux
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:32:50 +0800

thanks!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: mroccella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:55:08 -0800

I have a 13.6GB hard drive and didn't have any luck
configuring LILO no matter how I partitioned the drive. LILO
would just crash while trying to load and I would have to
reinstall everything on my hard drive again, including my
Win98 stuff! :-(

However, I use the loadlin utility, which lets you boot
LINUX from DOS or Windows 3.x/9x. The good thing about this
is that you don't have to modify any boot sectors or risk
losing your whole hard drive the way I did. And, you can run
loadlin from a floppy or a CD-ROM, as well. I use SuSE LINUX
6.1, which actually installs loadlin onto your DOS
partition. I can also boot off the first install CD-ROM and
it lets me boot into the LINUX partition on my hard drive!
This is much faster than booting form a floppy, as long as
you have a bootable CD-ROM.

Subject: SCSI emulation layer & CDRW
From: Charlton Wilbur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Aug 1999 11:51:47 -0400

Hi all,

I just broke down and bought myself a new CDRW drive - the ATAPI Acer
4x4x32.  It works like a charm under Windows, but I'm having a hell of
a time getting it to work under Linux.

When it started out, it was /dev/hdc, and it had no trouble playing
CDs, but cdrecord refused to work.  So I recompiled my kernel,
removing native ATAPI support and enabling the SCSI emulation layer.
cdrecord now appears to be happy, but none of my other programs, which
look for an ordinary cdrom, seem to be.

(My internal Zip drive, which was formerly at /dev/hdd, is now at
/dev/sda and appears to be working without any problems.)

A transcript follows.  Any ideas?  The fact that the CDRW shows up as
every LUN makes me somewhat nervous.  The docs I've found have been
somewhat spare, and so I'm pretty much in the dark here.  I'm probably
missing something really obvious.

Charlton

[cwilbur@prin-107 cwilbur]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: 14.A
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: ffffffff
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 01
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 02
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 03
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 04
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 05
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 06
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 07
  Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 4X4X32   Rev: 3.DR
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[cwilbur@prin-107 cwilbur]$ cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' '14.A' Removable Disk
                  1) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 4X4X32  ' '3.DR' Removable CD-ROM
                  2) *
                  3) *
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *
[cwilbur@prin-107 cwilbur]$ su
Password:
[root@prin-107 cwilbur]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems
[root@prin-107 cwilbur]#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: 03 Aug 1999 11:50:53 -0400

Patrick Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> BTW, I was recently informed that with LBA, a feature of most modern
> BIOSes, the /boot partition can be moved past the 512Meg mark, to
> anywhere before the 8.4 gig mark.  This explains why I've never gotten
> one of these problems from anyone with an 8 gig drive :-)

In reality, /boot can be any partition that your BIOS can access.  Where
this partition must reside depends on what your BIOS can access.  I tell
people "within the first 512M" because everybody's BIOS can access
that.  This may not be so for other partitions.

This all derives from the BIOS interrupt service for accessing disk
sectors.  It uses 24 bits to indicate CHS (cylinder, head, sector)
sector numbers.  10 for cylinder, 8 for head number, 6 for sector
number.

IDE has a different set of limits on its protocol.  (Unfortunately, I
forget what they are.)

Anyway, the minimum subset of BIOS-limited geometry and IDE-limited
geometry yields a maximum disk size of 512M.  This is where that limit
comes from.  The result is that all BIOSes, regardless of age, can
access data on below 512M on any drive.

Some BIOSes decided to do some sector translation.  They would take the
CHS numbers from the BIOS calls and translate them into different CHS
numbers to give to the IDE interface.  This raised the maximum capacity
of drives to the minimum of the two overall limits instead of the
minimum of each parameter's limit.  This worked great, but any OS that
didn't use the BIOS translation scheme would end up reading the wrong
data off of the disk.  So it quickly fell out of favor.

LBA fixed a lot of that.  Now, IDE has no effective size limit.  Instead
of sending CHS values to the drive, the logical block number is sent
instead.  The actual geometry of the drive no longer has to be known.
(Which is fine, since the drives implement their own CHS translation
internally anyway - so you can't really optimize on the reported disk
geometry anyway.)  Now, the BIOS can take the CHS numbers it gets, run
them through a standard CHS-LBA algorithm, and send the LBA to the disk.

This works great.  Now the limit is the BIOS limit.  Since there are 24
bits of address, you've got 16M sectors, or 8GB of storage that can be
accessed through the BIOS.  Of course, an operating system that doesn't
use the BIOS, but goes straight to LBA doesn't have this limit.

The most recent BIOSes can support drives greater than 8G.  They do this
by adding a new interrupt service that uses more than 24 bits for CHS
numbers.  It isn't compatible with old operating systems that require
the BIOS for disk access, but there aren't many such systems still in
use anyway.  Those that are in use can access the first 8G through the
old BIOS service, which still exists.

Of course, if you're using a SCSI card, you've got the same problems.
(Just replace IDE and LBA with SCSI.)  The difference is that the BIOS
is on the SCSI card and not on the motherboard.  The BIOS ends up
translating CHS values into SCSI device block numbers.  All SCSI BIOSes
I know of can handle disks up to 8G.  I think most of the current ones
can handle larger ones as well.

And in all cases, operating systems that don't use the BIOS (which is
almost everything these days) aren't affected by BIOS limits after they
complete their boot sequences.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Klas Kalass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: s: mim. Linux incl. X
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:37:07 +0200

Am Die, 03 Aug 1999 hat Dr. Sven Bode geschrieben:
>Hi out there,
>
>I'm interrested in Linux as an embedded system with X-Server. So far I
>found tiny Linux but this is without X. So here comes my question: (Or
>more)
>1.Is it possible to build Linux with X on a 8 MB flashdisk and 16 MB
>RAM, including some on build nice Xwindow-Programms ?
>If the answer is yes please where will I find information. Keep in mind
>that I'm relatively new fan of Linux
>2. What kind of Tool is good for programming with Linux. I've heard
>about the TCL/TK stuff for example ?
>
>For any tip; thanks a lot
>
>Ciao Sven
Have a look at muLinux - maybe that´s a starting point :
http://sunsite.auc.dk/mulinux/
Klas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 06:07:20 -0400

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 21:09:29 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Of all the drives I have the 40mb and the Hitachi cdrom are
>the Only scsi-2 items on my buss. I have heard of many people saying
>that not disabling disconnect on the aha152x driver results in problems.
>Come to think of it. on my old trantor T130B two or more scsi devices using
>disconnect resulted in some spectacular crashes. When I upgraded from
>slakware 3.1 to Slackware 3.5 then to 3.9 the boot disks I did Not
>disable disconnect and my AHa 2825 Vesa Local buss controller worked
>great! I might do the same in my lilo.conf to see if that really DOES
>work ok with a fully installed system. It would help GREATLY with my
        Update to my post. Re-enabling reconnect Makes my system work
FASTER (no real suprise). My bernoulli box seems to be working OK as
is my Wangtek 5150ES tape unit. have yet to see if the cdrom  works
good that way. for fair testing I did two things
1 bog down all drivers with heavy I/O while backing them up to tape.
one way was.
ls -lR /
in another window
ls -lR /usr
in another window
ls -lR /usr/src
then hitting Return on em all by flipping to each window to pop return
key. REsult? No Scsi bus errors. no System screaming of Kernel panics
due to Usleep or cannot-sleep (see my old messages reguaring my
trantor t130b to see what this refers to.
then after all those LS's are done.
2. time to back em up (needed to anyway)
so while my network system  was grabbing the newsgrousp
tar -cvf /dev/st0 /home /root /usr/local --totals
not a single glitch! other than the tape drive had to take madatory
breaks as the news  downloads hogged the buss a little. drive picked
up where it left off with the backup, not a single dropped bit!
        Last test, and again not a glitch. backing up a Bernoulli 44mb
cartridge to tape. Please note, on my Trantor this was HELL! constank
kernel crashes (I think the trantor had a bad interrupt imho) You
guessed it. it worked!
        BTW the wangtek 5150ES no longer halts the system by having
the AHa 2825-VL card wait for its slow-pokey I/O. the card just says
"Ok molasses, when you get done rewinding that crufty tape, call me
ok?" and all works fine.

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
                ---------------------
If [EMAIL PROTECTED] don't work try [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Capturing video from a digital camcorder/camera through the serial port
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:29:20 GMT

You might try http://www.gphoto.org

--
Cleave yourself to logodedaly and you cleave yourself from clarity
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

------------------------------

From: Ian Fiske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: artec as6u usb scanner
Date: 3 Aug 1999 16:30:35 GMT

i heard that some of the newer development kernels have support for usb.
does anyone out there know if there is support for the artec as6u scanner
yet?

thanks,
ian

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.announce
Subject: Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^&
Date: 03 Aug 1999 11:58:35 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Croy) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> All salesmen? Excuse me? I happen to own a computer store, and tell
> the truth on every system.

Excuse me.  Everybody except [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Croy).

> Unfortunatly, people don't want to hear it.

I've been in dozens of stores.  And I've never once gotten a straight
answer from any salesman at any store.  They assume that I don't know
and don't care.  If they don't know the answer to a question, they will
make stuff up instead of looking for the answer or saying they don't
know.

I've had salesmen tell me flat out lies (like a SCSI Zip drive is only
compatible with Macintoshes, and that I can't use anything other than a
parallel or IDE model on my PC.)  And when I confront them with the fact
that they're wrong (often by pointing to what's printed in black and
white on the product box), they get angry and tell me I don't know
anything.

So, yes, I blame the salesmen.  Every one I've ever had the unfortunate
experience of dealing with has proven himself to be either incompetent
or dishonest or both.

If I ever happen to visit your store, maybe I'll have a different
experience.  But until then, I stand by my opinion.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 03 Aug 1999 12:03:33 -0400

Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> BTW, does Linux allow plug-and-play like use of SCSI?  I really liked
> the way how AIX would allow you to add or remove SCSI-devices to (or
> from) a running system.  _Very_ handy with 12 workstations, but only
> one tapedrive...

SCSI is not, by nature, hot pluggable.  Although some people have been
able to hot-swap devices on an ordinary SCSI bus, it will often cause
the bus to crash - usually crashing your OS as well.

You can, however, get SCSI enclosures that buffer the bus and allow
drives to be disconnected and re-connected without powering down the
bus.  I don't know what they cost.

If you have such an enclosure, then you can hot-swap devices.  Just make
sure no program has the drive open before you disconnect it or you'll
probably crash the system.  In the case of a tape drive, just make sure
nobody's running a backup.  In the case of a hard drive, be sure none of
its volumes are mounted.

-- David