Linux-Hardware Digest #918, Volume #12           Wed, 24 May 00 13:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  phone network (Your name)
  HP T20 Tape drive (Nick Davies)
  Re: TV adapter from Terratec with bt878 chipset (JEDIDIAH)
  UPS from Compaq on linux (Kees van Veen)
  Re: h/w compression on Travan tape drives (David C.)
  Re: Wheel mouse in netscape redhat 6.2. (David Vogler)
  Re: h/w compression on Travan tape drives (David C.)
  Re: Locking tapedrive (David C.)
  Re: ALSA drivers and Aztech (Trident) PCI sound card (Duane)
  Re: Locking tapedrive (David C.)
  Re: Using a Travan under linux? (David C.)
  Re: Adaptec U2W problem (David C.)
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. (julien mills)
  WinFast TV 2000 install (Eric Ho)
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. (Joe Pfeiffer)
  Re: Photo-Quality printer? [was: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or  (Frank Stulle)
  Pointer to doc on SMP use in v2.2.1x kernel? ("Steve Snyder")
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. (JEDIDIAH)
  Lan Accessable Terminal (Andreas Grube)
  IBM Server 9595: Anyone tried it? (Micro Channel problem) ("Erik A. Widholm")

Subject: phone network
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Your name)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:12:21 GMT

I have a linksys home network kit.  It comes with the phone network card so
you do have to run the cat5 lines through your house.  Anyways, having
trouble finding a driver in linux to use these things.  The nic are hpn200.
Anybody been able to set up a network with this technology yet?

------------------------------

From: Nick Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP T20 Tape drive
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:08:35 +0100

Hello.

        Does anyone know if this drive work in linux?  If so can you point me
in the right direction to getting it working.  Thanks.

        Nick.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: TV adapter from Terratec with bt878 chipset
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:22:02 GMT

On Wed, 24 May 2000 11:53:03 GMT, Jörg Skottke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Can anyone tell me if the chipset bt878 is supported by Linux (e.g.
>RH6.2) ?
>If this is the case, what „drivers“/modules do i need?

        Try "modprobe bttv"  and
            "modprobe tuner" and see what that does for you.

        You also need a tuner app of some kind, like XawTV.
        Look on freshmeat.net.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Kees van Veen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie,nl.comp.os.linux.overig,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: UPS from Compaq on linux
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:32:01 +0200

Hello ALL,

Is there anybody out there who allready configured an Compaq UPS
(T1000h) on his linux box ??
I am having trouble, I get every time a BATTERY-LOW msg. The problem is
probebly the deamon, I tried upsd, genpowerd end others...
I use Debian Slink release 4/5

Greetings KC

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: h/w compression on Travan tape drives
Date: 24 May 2000 11:35:44 -0400

Ed L Cashin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:
>>
>> To turn it on for the tape that's currently inserted (compression status
>> will revert to the default after you eject the tape):
>>         mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
>
> One thing I wondered the other day:
>
> What if I do that?  Will the tape be readable in a similar drive made
> by a different vendor, or are the compression techniques proprietary?

The DAT hardware compression algorithm (DCLZ) is an industry standard.
It is specified by the DDS Manufacturer's group (DDSMG).  The standard
itself is not available on-line, but they can be ordered from the DDSMG.
Their index page for standards documents is:

        http://www.dds-tape.com/standards.html

Any DDS-compliant drive (bearing the DDS logo) should use the DCLZ
algorithm if it supports hardware compression, and be interoperable with
other DDS drives.

-- David

------------------------------

From: David Vogler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wheel mouse in netscape redhat 6.2.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:34:15 +0200

Hi,

Jaime B. Zamora S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi I have a M$ intellimouse and i want its wheel working under rh62.

Take a look at

http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Here you'll find lots of information about many kinds of wheel mice.

1) You have to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol        "IMPS/2"
    Device          "/dev/psaux"
    BaudRate        1200
    SampleRate      60
    ZAxisMapping    4 5
EndSection

2) Edit your .Xdefaults file for using the wheel in xterms and Netscape.
But this is described at the place I mentioned above. And you need the
imwheel package (if it's not already installed, it's shipped with RH62).

--
David Vogler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://lisas.de/~david/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 24 May 2000 11:39:40 -0400

"Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Does the command
>>
>> mt -f /dev/st0 compression 1
>>
>> run without error on that drive?
>> If so which kernel & what version of mt do you have (mt -v)?
>
> Hm, sorry.  On my home PC, all I can find is
>
> mt datcompression count
>
> where count=0 turns compression off, 1 checks the status, and 2 turns
> it on.  The man page lists a different "count" arrangement and says
> this is for DAT drives-- it doesn't say yes or no about Travan.
> Forgot to check the mt version number.

The datcompression option only works with SCSI DAT drives.  It should
not be necessary in most cases.  DAT drives will usually enable
compression with the "compression 1" option, just like other tape
drives.

If your copy of mt doesn't have the compression option, then you should
recompile it.  Whoever built yours probably turned it off.

If your copy of mt has compression, but you can't use it, then either
your drive doesn't support compression, or the tape device driver (in
your kernel or in a module) hasn't been compiled to support compression.

I found that the software bundled with RedHat 5.2 does not have
compression compiled in, but the software bundled with RedHat 6.1 does.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Locking tapedrive
Date: 24 May 2000 11:45:09 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Csaba Raduly) writes:

> 23 May 2000: A formal bug report was sent to Seti@Home, because the
> following message originated from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) was
> reported as containing signs of intelligence:

Well thank you for being an obnoxious twerp.  We all love to see
three-line insults instead of a quote header.

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (System V) writes:
>>>
>>> I don't want other people (than root and backup) to eject the tape
>>> on the dat drives in our main server. But pressing the eject
>>> button ejects te tape.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to 'lock' the tape drive, so that pressing the
>>> eject button won't relese the tape?
>>
>> All SCSI devices can be locked.  It's a universal command.  In this
>> particular case, the "mt" program will let you do it:
>
> That doesn't mean the device has to do anything.  My HP tape drive
> (the 'half the cartridge sticks out' type) reports success to the
> eject command, except it doesn't do anything (there isn't a manual
> eject button either, one has to pull the cartridge manually).

If your drive doesn't have the physical capability to lock media, then
of course this won't work.

If you would bother to read the question I was answering, you would see
that the person is using a DAT drive, which has an automated eject
system.  You can't just pull a DAT tape from its drive without causing
permenant damage to the drive.  Your comment is irrelevant.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: ALSA drivers and Aztech (Trident) PCI sound card
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:21:14 -0700

Dave Oddie wrote:

> I have an Aztech PCI64-Q3D sound card on my system which is running
> Mandrake 7.0.  The card is based on a Trident chip set.
>
> sndconfig tells me I must use the ALSA drivers to configure this card
> so I went and read all the documentation, downloaded the latest alsa
> driver and installed it but I still get no sound.

> So my questions are:
>
> How can I get alsamixer to compile - I assume I need to install
> something that includes the missing include file.
>
> Do I need any entries in conf.modules for the card? I thought not as I
> am installing via modprobe.
>
> If I do need entries in conf.module I would appreciate an example as
> the ones in the documentation have me confused.

I will sure agree with that! I got my sound (the VT82C686A) working by
substituting the name of the driver for my card in the closest example I
found:

alias sound snd-card-via686a
alias char-major-14 snd
alias snd-minor-oss-0 snd-mixer
alias snd-minor-oss-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-minor-oss-4 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-minor-oss-5 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-minor-oss-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a

You will of course need the to replace snd-card-via686a with the correct
entry, presumably snd-card-trident.
Also, this did not load snd-pcm-oss for me, so I also added some entries
to /etc/rc.local:

# load ALSA OSS sound modules
if grep -s -q "^alias sound " /etc/conf.modules ; then
     echo "Loading OSS sound module"
     modprobe snd-pcm-oss
     amixer set Master 50% unmute
     amixer set CD 100% unmute

     sleep 3
fi

> Do I need to do anything else to get the card going?  Somehow configure
> IRQ numbers for the driver perhaps?
>
> I read the documentation regarding PnP cards but this seems to refer to
> ISA cards, well the Aztech is PCI so I assume that is not relevant.

That's right. You should not need to do any of this for a PCI card.

> Finally the only other thing I can think of that might possibly be a
> problem is that I could not do a modprobe snd-pcm1-oss (do I need to?)
> as it could not find snd-pcm1-oss.  It mentions this in the
> documentation.

Ahh.. That is snd-pcm-oss ! They apparently change the name of the
module, but not the documentation.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 24 May 2000 11:51:20 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (System V) writes:

>> All SCSI devices can be locked.  It's a universal command.  In this
>> particular case, the "mt" program will let you do it:
>>
>>         mt -f /dev/nst0 lock
>>         mt -f /dev/nst0 unlock
>
> # mt -f /dev/nst0 lock
> mt: invalid tape operation `lock'
> Ehm... The debian mt doesn't seem to support lock :-(

mt simply makes an IOCTL into your device driver.  Since locking is a
generic SCSI command, I would be surprised if it had to be separately
compiled in.  My guess is that your drive hasn't implemented locking for
some reason.

If you want to dig a bit further, you may want to browse through the
sources for mt, and possibly the tape and SCSI kernel modules to see if
something needs to be compiled in, but this would surprise me.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Using a Travan under linux?
Date: 24 May 2000 11:53:06 -0400

Mikael Carneholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Our university computer club is about to invest in a backup device
> (preferably: a Travan). Our machine is a K6/200 /w 64 Mb, running
> RH6.2.  However, the HP and Seagate sites only mention Win 95/98/NT as
> supported OS:s? We're interested in two or three particular devices:
>
> Seagate TapeStor 20 GB       (BS-T20GBAI)
> HP Colorado/SureStore 20 GB IDE/SCSI
>
> Any help/info appreciated!

SCSI and ATAPI are standards.  If the drive complies, Linux will support
it.

The manufacturers will only mention Windows because that's the only
system they will provide tech support and software for.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Adaptec U2W problem
Date: 24 May 2000 12:02:00 -0400

"Halászy-Kiss Ágoston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've the following scenario:
>
> ASUS-P2B-F
> ADAPTEC 2940U2W SCSI Card (PCI)
> WD91 Vantage winchester
>
> So when i try to install 2.2.x or higher kernel the SCSI bus got reset
> every 5 minutes. I've already tried Debian Potato and RedHat 6.2
> (Zoot). Both of them showed the error above. When i tried with Debian
> Slink (2.0.36 kernel) it seemed to work okay.
>
> I've asked one of my friends who is using the same chipset built on a
> motherboard and it worked, so I'm confused what can be wrong.

Check cable lengths and termination.

Your bus can run in one of several modes:

        Fast SCSI
        Fast-Wide SCSI
        Ultra SCSI
        Ultra-Wide SCSI
        Ultra2 SCSI (LVD)

Fast- and Fast-Wide have a cable-length limit of 6m.
Ultra has a cable-length limit of 3m
Ultra-Wide has a limit of 1.5m
Ultra2 has a limit of 12m (the LVD signalling greatly increases length)

The limit you must deal with will depend on the devices you have
attached to the bus.  If everything is Ultra2, you've got a 12m limit.
If you have a Fast, Fast-Wide, Ultra, or Ultra-wide device attached,
then your actual limit is the shortest limit of all the attached
devices.

Note that LVD signalling turns itself off if any non-LVD devices are
attached to the bus!

Next, you've got to deal with termination.  An LVD bus requires an LVD
terminator.  A traditional (single-ended) terminator will _NOT_ work on
an LVD bus.  You might be able to get away with an active SE terminator
if you have non-LVD devices attached to the bus, but I wouldn't want to
trust that configuration.

LVD drives do not usually include on-board termination.  If you install
one internally, you will need to get a terminator for your cable, or a
cable with built-in termination.  If you install one externally, you
will still need an LVD terminator, but you can sometimes get cases with
this built-in.

Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of drive a "WD91 Vantage
winchester" is, so I can't give you more specifics here.

-- David

------------------------------

From: julien mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:20:46 -0400

Svend Garnaes wrote:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:
>
> > you will want to make a printer driver that inserts printer cursor
> > positioning commands (like \r) in the appropriate places.
> >
> > unix text files have end-of-line marker LF. for terminals or printers
> > LF means line feed, but leave the cursor in the same column.  to get
> > back to the start of the line, you need a carriage return CR.
> > termcap and cooked mode does this for terminals.  surely there is a
> > method that works for printers.
>
> In RedHat Linux you would use printtool to set the 'Fix Staircase'
> option for the printer. It results in the file textonly.cfg in the
> printer's spool directory containing the line CRLFTRANS=1, which
> does the trick.

You could pipe your print jobs through a sed script which added a
CTRL-M (carriage return) to the end of each line.  I belive this
is the traditional solution.

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinFast TV 2000 install
Date: 24 May 2000 16:30:13 GMT

Hi,

I have a Winfast TV 2000 card and tried to use it with my Linux (kernel
2.2.13). I have tried to compile bttv-0.6.4h, but got the following errors :

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/bttv-0.6.4h/driver'
(cd driver;./MAKEDEV;./update)
*** new device names ***
/dev/video0: char 81 0
/dev/video1: char 81 1
/dev/video2: char 81 2
/dev/video3: char 81 3
/dev/radio0: char 81 64
/dev/radio1: char 81 65
/dev/radio2: char 81 66
/dev/radio3: char 81 67
/dev/vtx0: char 81 192
/dev/vtx1: char 81 193
/dev/vtx2: char 81 194
/dev/vtx3: char 81 195
/dev/vbi0: char 81 224
/dev/vbi1: char 81 225
/dev/vbi2: char 81 226
/dev/vbi3: char 81 227
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
insmod videodev
./videodev.o: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

make: *** [ins] Error 1

Could someone tell me what I did wrong, or the proper steps to set this
up in my Linux ?
I don't want any fancy functions, I only want to watch TV with my Linux
box :)

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 24 May 2000 10:19:20 -0600

Nothing brain dead about it -- but why are you jumping to the
conclusion that your printer is somehow unique in doing this, and that
this particular wheel has yet to be invented?

Get any of the standard sets of printer filters and configure it to
fix stairstepping.  If you're running RedHat you can just check a box
in the printer configuration from the control panel (and I assume
there is something equally simple in the other distributions).

ASCII doesn't specify a character to be used as the end-of-line
character.  I'd guess that the Record Separator character would have
been a good choice (though I'd have to find some more complete
documentation on the intent of the control characters to be anywhere
near sure), but neither MS-DOS nor Unix used it; MS-DOS confused line
separation with device control and uses a CR-LF pair; Unix picked a LF
(and calls it newline).
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: Frank Stulle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Photo-Quality printer? [was: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:41:37 +0200

Look at gimp-print.sourceforge.net
The driver is still under construction but seems to be very good.

Bye
Frank

From: "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pointer to doc on SMP use in v2.2.1x kernel?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:45:37 GMT

Can someone please point me to documentation which describes the use
of multiple CPUs in the v2.2.1x Linux kernel?

My understanding is that the kernel itself doesn't get much advantage
from more than a single processor, though the overall system does.
True?

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:58:12 GMT

On 24 May 2000 10:19:20 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nothing brain dead about it -- but why are you jumping to the
>conclusion that your printer is somehow unique in doing this, and that
>this particular wheel has yet to be invented?

        Actually, there are commands in PCL3 to change this sort of behaivor.

[deletia]

        So, it's not like all printer manufacturers are completely oblivious
        to end of line issues...

From: Andreas Grube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lan Accessable Terminal
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:47:13 GMT

Hi,

although I'm new in unix-like OSs, I'm sure, there's a chance to boot a
486 PC from diskette, so, that you can access it via TCP/IP and connect
to a productiv (sun-)server using the serial Port. Furthermore using a
8-Port-Card, should gain access for eight servers.

start OT (don't blame me)

Does somebody in this group know, how to manage it with pure DOS
(poor DOS :) ? (TCP/IP from diskette-boot already possible! aprox. 400k
for compressed files free, uncompress Fkt already implemented)
(DOS only 'cause I'm familier with...)

end OT

If not, is there a manual to do this with linux (...for abs. beginners
like me) ?

From: "Erik A. Widholm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: IBM Server 9595: Anyone tried it? (Micro Channel problem)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:15:21 -0500

I have 9595-OMT server (Micro Channel) that I inherited from one of our
departments. All parts were purchassed in 1993, so they are the original
thing.

I would like to setup and use Linux on it.

I've tried installing RedHat 6.2, but cannot find SCSI drivers for the
SCSI (Micro Channel interface--believe it's SCSI-1).

Any idea where to find them? or any ideas of what is a better solution
for this server (other than just chuck it or install Windows on it?).

Thanks.

Configuration:
The -OMT standards (SCSI-1 MC card; XGA /A MC card)
64 MB ECC memory
2 x 2GB SCSI HD
2 x CD