Linux-Hardware Digest #923, Volume #10            Tue, 3 Aug 99 23:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card (Bryan)
  Re: Capturing video from a digital camcorder/camera through the serial port (Carl
Alexander)
  Re: NE2000 PCI 10/100Mb ethernet interface card (Andy Adams)
  Re: NE2000 PCI 10/100Mb ethernet interface card (Andy Adams)
  Re: Zip Drive Advice for Linux (Kyle Dansie)
  APS-UPS for Linux? (Penguin Head)
  Re: Need kernel compile help (Norman Levin)
  Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice. (Michael Tibor)
  Re: Apache and ASP ("Joffer")
  Damn IDE CDR (root)
  Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^& (John Hasler)
  Re: Need support for Asus V3800 Riva TNT2. (CITIZENAL)
  CPU Price List Web Site: (Me)
  Re: APS-UPS for Linux? (Rob Clark)
  Re: APS-UPS for Linux? (CJ)
  Re: SCSI zip drive slower than parallel port zip. Eeek. (John Doe)
  PCI WINMODEM HELP ("Aldo Basso")
  isapnp problems... ("Josh Neta")
  SCSI zip drive slower than parallel port zip. Eeek. (John Doe)
  Re: Direct PC & Linux ?? ("chongman kim")
  Re: Creative Labs PCI 128 (jmantel)

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for good *sounding* sound card
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:09:33 GMT

Justin B Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Bryan (Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
: > I have to admit that his binary post was only 2-3 screenfuls according
: > to my ascii based newsreader.  hardly 'abuse' in any sense of the
: > term.  and it was not a useless .gif that he posted - it was quite pertinent
: > to the discussion at hand.
: >
: > and while its true that posting binary is not considered 'ok' in a
: > non-binaries group, its actually the length of them that was the
: > original objection.
: >
: > and all this flurry of net.cop-ism has caused more b/w to be wasted
: > than the original 'offense'.  think about that for a bit.

: So as long as its not more then 3 screenfulls of ascii its ok? Where is the
: line?

the line is about THINKING before you blurt out 'violator!  he must be
punished!'.  shesh, guys; david appears NOT to be a newbie - he wanted
to help and used judgement in posting a VERY SHORT binary to a group
that was on-target for the subject matter at-hand.

I don't know david, but I would be willing to bet that if the binary
was several meg or more, he would not have posted it here.  but being
so short, I don't think its worth all this fuss.  and yes, size does
matter <vbg>.

: I also use a ascii based newsreader because I don't read newsgroups
: that have binaries. In order for me to view such a binary I have to
: download it from the freenet I use and convert it back into a binary.

same here.  and if I needed this binary, I would have taken this
effort and done it.

again, if the binary was pages and pages long, I would have been
annoyed as well.  but it wasn't a spam of some XXX girlie shot, etc,
etc.  it was a responsible post reply to the call for help.  I don't
think he should have gotton all the abuse some folks have been dishing
out.  and more than likely, he's been on the net far longer than may
of the net.cops have...

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Carl Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Capturing video from a digital camcorder/camera through the serial port
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:07:32 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Dr. Ram Samudrala wrote:
>Is there any software for Linux out there that can capture video or
>still images from a digital camera through the serial port?   I have a
>JVC camcorder and there exists a Windows program that can capture
>still images through the serial port.
>
>Thanks.

I found a package called gphoto that works eith my camera but I don't recall
the URL for it. May it was freshmeat.net

Carl

------------------------------

From: Andy Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 PCI 10/100Mb ethernet interface card
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:40:11 -0500

Ruud Mol wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a problem running my new ne2k compatible pci ethernet card. I can
> get it to work under windows, but that's not what I want. Does anyone
> know what to do about it?
> It's configured (probably by my BIOS): io=0x620 irq=10
> I'm currently running Debian 2.1.
> I've tried all kernel modules in 2.2.1 for pci/eisa/vlb ethernet cards,
> but none seem to work...

I bought one of the dirt cheap ne2000 cards only to find that it didn't
work with
linux when I got home.  I was able to get it to work with windows and the
supplied driver.  The io port assigned by the windows driver was 0x280.
Apparently this is not a standard location.  I ended up getting the card
working
by hacking in the kernel source.  It is just a one liner hack.  I'm using
2.2.10
In /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ne2.c  look for

static unsigned int addresses[7]=
        {0x1000, ..............................

This specifies the addresses the kernel will look for the ne2000 card.  I
just
added the io address from the windows config to the first of the list and
incremented
7 to 8.  Then recompile your kernel.   NOTE: I'm using an ISA card.  The
PCI
cards are handled by a different driver.

Hope this helps

-Andy

------------------------------

From: Andy Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:40:26 -0500

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:18:28 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip Drive Advice for Linux

"Michael P. McCutcheon" wrote:

> I am considering getting a zip drive that will work with both windows
> and linux.  It will be used primarily on my PII 450 (ASUS 440BX P2B).
>
> I'm most interested in the newer 250 meg version.
>
> Which one should I get if I want it to run in Linux?  SCSI, Parallel
> port, USB, etc.?  I'd like to install the drive internally so I don't
> have so much stuff around my computer.  Do they still make an internal
> version?
>
> I don't have a SCSI card right now but would be willing to get one if
> it's worth it for the extra speed.
>
> Can I use any SCSI card or do I have to get a special one from iomega?
> Is there any advantage to getting a SCSI card from a different
> manufacturer?
>
> Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share (good or bad)
> about running a zip drive on a linux machine?
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> Michael P. McCutcheon
> A Linux newbie :)

The linux system will support the 250 parallel port version. I am using
one now. Just set up the kernel for the imm driver. This program is a
standard part of the 2.2.x series of kernels. It is listed in the low
level scsi driver section. There are more details in the HOWTO

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

Later,
Kyle Dansie

------------------------------

From: Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: APS-UPS for Linux?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 01:19:57 GMT

Hi all
Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
Windoez.

TIA
PH

--
NT, now approaching 23x6 availability

From: Craig Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: loading ppa module at bootup (Col 2.2)?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:43:56 +0100

Hi,

Does anyone know how to load the ppa module in at bootime for col 2.2?
I've tried using COAS and the Kernel Configuration package; however it
gives me an error and says it cannot load the module. If I just insmod
ppa at the terminal emulation it loads fine; yet of course, I have to do
this everytime I go into linux.

Thanks for any advice

Craig Lambert

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:08:22 -0400
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need kernel compile help

As a test, I went thru "make menuconfig" and randomly picked components of the
kernel to be resident, not include or module.  This was done on PURPOSE, with
no thought.  I could well create a kernel that had no disk support - for my
example.

When I did the "make zImage" it ended with an exit code of 2.  There were some
messages from one of the last steps (the ld step) that indicated
"show_task" was referencing "get_wchan" and the symbol couldn't be resolved.

What would be a logical way to find what routine was missing?  Or should I
basically run grep on all the source routines in the source tree?
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:26:08 -0800
From: Michael Tibor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice.

sincero arcadio wrote:

> Floyd Davidson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : the total power per unit is about 40 watts, and 8 of them adds up to
> : more than 250 watts!  Probably the best solution there is a pair of 250
> : watt supplies.
>
>         Oohh ... now theres an idea I haven't thought of!  Use a pair of
> 250watt power supplies.  I've been doing searches for power supplies
> greater than 300W and those things are actually pretty expensive (like
> close to $100 or even more)!  Using two 250W supplies would definitely be
> cheaper.  Now, i wonder how I would hook it up so one switch would power
> on both power supplies ... doesn't sound too hard, but I'm no electrician.

The 40 watts/unit almost certainly occurs only on drive spinup.  Set the
drives to spinup sequentially and you should be fine.

If you're really worried about it, just get a pair of 4 bay towers and
daisy chain them. (I'd still spin the drives up sequentially though)

Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax

------------------------------

From: "Joffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.dev.config,no.it.os.unix.linux.diverse,no.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Apache and ASP
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 03:26:19 +0200

www.cpan.org has the Apache::ASP module...
I've installed it.. but no luck yet...

-joffer

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Damn IDE CDR
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:43:06 -0400

I am having a problem getting my CDR to work.  So far I have enable SCSI
emulation and generic SCSI support.  But the problem is that after I
enabled these features and compiled the kernel I can't mount either of
the CD ROM's.  Thus it causes Xcdroast to crash when I try to burn a
CD.  This also sucks cause I can't use my CD ROM's unless I reboot the
machine into the older configuration where I can't use my CDR as a CDR.

Basic info:  Red Hat 6.0, Philips CDD3610 CDR, X cd roast.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.announce
Subject: Re: #@$%&%( WINMODEMS are a pain in the A#$^&
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:18:11 GMT

Habibie4m writes:
> So, why need a PCI modem if an ISA 56Kbps modem will suffice your need.

Because the pc manufacturers intend to completely eliminate the ISA bus in
the near future.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CITIZENAL)
Subject: Re: Need support for Asus V3800 Riva TNT2.
Date: 04 Aug 1999 00:27:20 GMT

>chipsets, we'll have support for >nearly every video card sold in >stores.

We'll have the promise, but not necessarily the reality. After hours of trying,
I can't get 16 bits color depth out of my old STB Lightspeed VL card, even
though it's "supported".
Al Tourlakes
Advertising Writing, Graphics & Design
http://members.aol.com/citizenal

------------------------------

From: Me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPU Price List Web Site:
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:10:37 -0400

CPU Price List Web Site:
http://home.mpinet.net/alters/pricelist.htm

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: APS-UPS for Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 02:14:24 GMT

In article <7o84fm$etg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Penguin Head  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
>during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
>Windoez.

http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools/

http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/

Both projects are GPLed nowadays.
Have fun!

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: CJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:15:56 -0500

Penguin Head wrote:

> Hi all
> Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
> during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
> Windoez.
>
> TIA
> PH

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/ups/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: SCSI zip drive slower than parallel port zip. Eeek.
Date: 3 Aug 1999 22:31:53 -0500

On 3 Aug 1999 22:04:07 -0500, John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I noticed that my scsi internal zip 100 drive at home is slower than
>parallel port version at work by an order of magnitude.  What gives?
>I have heard that scsi are supposed to be faster.
>
>The problem seems to be in writing to the disk.  Reading seems to
be pretty
>fast.
>
>home: future domain isa scsi controller with zip and cd-rom
>writing a kernel tar.gz file ~13mb takes about 5 minutes
>
>work: parallel port zip drive
>writing a star wars trailer ~25mb takes about 90 seconds.

I am writing, in both cases from, the hard drive. I can withstand some
variation in performace due to different hard drive and all that but
the difference I experience is too much.

------------------------------

From: "Aldo Basso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI WINMODEM HELP
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:31:35 +0200

------------------------------

From: "Josh Neta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: isapnp problems...
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:49:44 -0500

    Anyone know how to stop isapnp from bitching about irq4 already being
used (it happens even if i dissable my mother boards serial ports). So
either something else is using it that i dont know about or something is
just totally screwed up. ive also tried irq 5,7 (all supported by my modem)
and none work. its a Rockwell 56K ACF II Fax+Data+Voice Modem if that helps
at all?

Thanks
Josh

------------------------------

From: "chongman kim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Direct PC & Linux ??
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:59:45 -0700

check www.helius.com

Thanks,  Chongman
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: jmantel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs PCI 128
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:38:12 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all.
>   I need to buy a new sound card for my Red Hat 6 linux machine.  I'm
> considering the Creative Labs PCI 128.  Although I've heard that It
> will work fine, it and most of the other cards in the Creative Labs
> series are not listed in the Hardware Compatibility list for Red hat
> 6.  Can anyone tell me definitively that the PCI 128 works under Red
> Hat 6?  or , barring that, what card(s) do you recommend for smooth
> operation?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Matthew

I have the PCI 128 board but have suse 6.1 running. The card works fine
but I had to buy oss drivers for it.  There is no native kernel support
for
it, at least not yet.

Jaime