Linux-Hardware Digest #965, Volume #10            Mon, 9 Aug 99 11:14:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: i can't get my ess 1968 sound card to work help (Matt Gullam)
  Re: NC like program (Norton Commander) ("c64")
  Dynalink   /asu1688 isdn card problem with I/O ("Roger Helgesen")
  Panasonic KX-P6100? (James Robert Lunsford)
  Re: Howto copy Linux from old to a new harddisk?? (Tim Clapp)
  SMP benchmarks (dan the person)
  Re: Toshiba DVD-RAM and Linux (Christoph Martin)
  Re: Evergreen MxPro and Linux? (Greg H)
  Re: woohoo! successful 3D PII Linux system (bad_knee)
  Re: woohoo! successful 3D PII Linux system (bad_knee)
  Re: woohoo! successful 3D PII Linux system (bad_knee)
  Re: [Help] ATi Xpert 98 vs Display Flicks (Oliver D. Bedford)
  Re: AHA152x card under RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) (Giulio Orsero)
  Re: DDS-3 SCSI Tape Drive + Red Hat 6.0 (yan seiner)
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (fIPS)
  Re: Help!! Installing Linux 5.2 for first time. (Andrew I Rothstein)
  using 2 monitors (wayne keenan)
  Toshiba Protege 3110CT (Dr A.J. Marquis)
  Re: Linux on an HP OmniBook XE, possible? (Stew Benedict)
  which printer for linux:815C or 880C? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Matt Gullam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i can't get my ess 1968 sound card to work help
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:43:45 +0000

RB wrote:

> now that i installed linix 6.0 on
> my compaq 5660.
> i can't get my ess 1968 sound card
> to work any info.
>
> SOUND
> ESS Technology
> ESS audio chips SoundBlaster compatible?
> All of ESS' current line of audio chips (part numbers ES688 and above) are
> compatible with SoundBlaster and SoundBlaster Pro.
> MAESTRO-2 CHIP ES1968s
>
> io-240
> irq-5
> dma-1
> mpu401 io-320h
> game port io-200h
>
> ALSO IRQ IS USED BY STB VIDEO CARD
> CAN'T CHANGE IRQ
>
> WITH BOZO COMPAQ BIOS

As a part time system builder, I have had nothing but grief with ess
chipset sound cards. Cheap nasty and unreliable. In fact, seeing as 50%
of the time you can't get them to work in Windows, I wouldn't hold out
much hope. I gave up using ess cards about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure
whether yours will work in linux, you could try OSS, but I'd recommend
you bin it.

Matt.

------------------------------

From: "c64" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: NC like program (Norton Commander)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:02:07 +0800

I have downloaded mc-4.1-1.src.rpm..rpm and used below command

rpm -ivh mc-4.1-1.src.rpm..rpm

Question. I can't find the 'unzip' file to run..

haha... sound silly.

news:7oiigh$pp0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Helgesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dynalink   /asu1688 isdn card problem with I/O
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:57:44 +0200

Hi foks !

I'm having some problem 'starting' my isdncard.

when doing a `isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf ` I get the message
--Fatal - resource conflict allocating 4 bytes of IO at 3f8
I'm  sure that this IO is free, I disabled a com port (serial port) in cmos
at this address.
Last line of `cat /proc/ioports `
    03f6-03f6 : ide0

When doing a `modeprobe hisax ....... ` it reports that `device or resource
busy`

Regards
Roger Helgesen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Robert Lunsford)
Subject: Panasonic KX-P6100?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 08:56:26 GMT

Anyone got one of these "Windows only" printers to run under Linux?
--
                       -=<<\
                           >\     SkyRocker
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<(<>)}X%X%X%X]O
                           >/
                       -=<</      Wielding Excalibur!

The WAR Room: http://skyrocker.hypermart.net
Quake I,II,III / Half-Life-TFC news, info, tips & tricks

------------------------------

From: Tim Clapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Howto copy Linux from old to a new harddisk??
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:24:00 +0100

Sven Utcke wrote:

> Tim Clapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > jackson wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I  best copy  all my  als linuxdata   on to the new  disk.
> > > so that I again can boot my  Linux with lilo
> >
> > You could use cpio, tar/cp or cp -a - different people will probably
> > suggest differnt things.
>
> What about dd?
>
> However, note that with all this methods you will have to run lilo on
> the new disk first before you will be able to boot, so better make a
> boot-floppy...

Only problem with dd is that you are stuck with the same size partition,
I believe.

Tim.

--
Tim Clapp                   St. John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www-sigproc.eng.cam.ac.uk/~tcc1000/

------------------------------

From: dan the person <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP benchmarks
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:23:58 +1200

Anyone know any good linux SMP benchmark programs?

Ones that use lots of loopback sockets and threads would be good.  Need
to compare with SMP performance of volano benchmark on ibmjdk116.

From: Christoph Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Toshiba DVD-RAM and Linux
Date: 09 Aug 1999 11:58:14 +0200

Christian Mund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> I am the proud owner of a TOSHIBA SD-W1101 DVD-RAM Drive and want to know,
> if there is anyone out there, who is able to use this Drive with Linux.
>
> The Drive works in a 2-LUN Mode, LUN0 = CDROM and LUN1 = Optical Device.
> Reading from a DVD-Media works fine, but when i try to write, the
> Drive hangs up the SCSI-Bus.
> I tried to track this problem a little bit, but i am not so familiar with
> debugging Kernels .
> dmesg says : "aborting command due to timeout : write(6)
>               timed out: reset"
> Using the strace-command i can see, that thwe Device-Hang occurs, when the
> Kernel does an fsync.

Similar problems here. Linux hangs after writing some data. Same
happens when reading large chunks from DVD-Rom.

Christoph
Christoph Martin, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Greg H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Evergreen MxPro and Linux?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:21:52 GMT

Sean Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an old Pentium 90 system (ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 Motherboard) that was
> upgraded with a MxPro 200 chip upgrade (it ran fine with this upgrade under
> Windoze).  I have attempted to put Redhat 6.0 on it a few times with no
> success. I keep getting  a "crc error" during the initial boot.  Can Linux

   I've run Linux on an Intel motherboard with BIOS extension AX1T (I think;
I can't remember the codename of this board) with no problems.  That error
may not be with the CPU.

   Greg H.

--
ROT-13 encoded email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: bad_knee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: woohoo! successful 3D PII Linux system
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:20:07 +0000

Jeff McWilliams wrote:

> >The pci sound card pissed me off.. every time I set the IRQ in the
> >cmos for the pci slot, the on-board adaptec scsi controller followed
> >it (from what the ami boot screeen showed).
>
> I have a P2B-L.  Try moving your sound card to a different PCI slot
> and setting that one's IRQ.  I had a similar problem figuring out where
> the on-board Ethernet controller's IRQ was.  It also follows the IRQ
> of a particular PCI slot.
>
> JEff
>
> --
> Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cool.. I'll try it next time I have the case apart.
Thanks!

------------------------------

From: bad_knee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:20:15 +0000

From: bad_knee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:22:58 +0000

Wally"Equinox" wrote:

> bad_knee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > I was a bit apprehensive before ordering this stuff
> > because it _had_ to work with Linux, yet have 3D stuff
> > for games.  here it is:
> >
> > asus p2b-ls motherboard
> > 128 meg sdram (8ns _they_ called it)
> > Creative Savage4 AGP with 32M sdram
> > PII 450
> > quantum atlas III 9.1G scsi
> > sony 40x IDE cdrom
> > Soundblaster PCI128 sound card (wouldn't configure in windows so I put
> > in a chinese ISA sound card)
> > chinese ne2000 compatible NIC
> >
> > the savage4 is running 1024x768 and Gnome.  Creative's driver
> > installed flawlessly
> >
> > compiling the kernel for the scsi drive was a bit of a
> > head scratcher, but finally got it to work after about 5 tries.

> The SB PCI 128 uses an Ensoniq chipset (ES1370). If you chose this chipset
> to be supported from within the kernel or either as a loadable module you
> should be able to get sound ( I did, but switced soundcard and the MX-300 is
> [not yet] supported.) Albeit I had another mainboard (Abit BH-6) but I guess
> the mobo will make little difference.
>
> Wally"Equinox"

Ahh, Ensoniq you say?? hmmm.. I didn't bother with it in Linux
because of the bios reporting the scsi chip and pci128 on the same
irq.  I'll make note of the chipset though, Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver D. Bedford)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Help] ATi Xpert 98 vs Display Flicks
Date: 09 Aug 1999 12:48:56 +0200

Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi There,
>
> I have an AMD K6-2 400Mhz computer with an ATi Xpert 98 video card + a
> 17" monitor.  It is capable to dual boot with Linux and Nt-4 Server.  On
> the Linux side, I use SuSE-6.1 Linux distro.  The current setup for the
> display on either boot is 1280x1024 32bpp.  Unfortunately, the display
> seems to behave so erratic that it flicks one after the other.

  We are running a similar setup (AMD K6-2 350MHz, 1280x1024 at 24bpp,
X 3.3.3.1) with no problems.

  The monitor section looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-79
   VertRefresh     50-100
   Modeline  "1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1312 1456 1712 1024 1027 1030 1064
EndSection

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AHA152x card under RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 15:49:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Berntsen) ha scritto:

>So it seems that it finds my card...but then not....
>IRQ 9 is correct by the way. It's the only one free
>on my machine, and I've eventold my BIOS that
>IRQ 9 is "Legacy ISA"

To make my card work (I use irq 10, and aha152x as a module) I did:
1) told the bios irq 10 is ISA
2) setup the card (old cards have jumpers, new cards, as AVA-1050, have
a setup diskette) to disable plug and play and to set it to irq 10.
3) put in conf.modules
alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
options aha152x aha152x=0x340,10

From: yan seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: DDS-3 SCSI Tape Drive + Red Hat 6.0
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:51:55 +0000

The drive has an attention light on the front that comes on when it's
time to clean the heads.  It comes on about every 8-9 days, or 20-30
hours of tape drive use.  We clean the heads as soon as it comes on.

ALso, we use Fuji tapes - these were recommended as having a low failure
rate.  I'm open to suggestions on tapes as well.

Yan

------------------------------

From: fIPS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 9 Aug 1999 12:05:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm sorry - I'm TICKED - I cross-posted this note to two ng's (really
> want to spam the entire world with it)

> Here is my wonderful little letter of discontent that I just emailed
> to ATI Technologies.  Read it or toss it - I just had to get it off my
> chest..  Thanks - Chip Rose. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> =======
[blah]
Hi,
i totally disagree to you, ATi does support some people with technical
informations to write linux-drivers to get their TV-Tuner to work. They
only do not want to make these informations opensource which i can
understand of their point of view.
So please be patient since as usual in the linux-world the driverdevelopers
don't get paid for their work and have to do some other stuff for a living.

Regards,
        fIPS

PS: My Rage128 works quite flawlessly with AcceleratedX...with some crashs. ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew I Rothstein)
Subject: Re: Help!! Installing Linux 5.2 for first time.
Date: 9 Aug 1999 12:15:27 GMT

What not RH6.0?

Drew

JBL ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I just upgraded my computer and would like to install Linux 5.2 (Redhat)
: on the old machine.

: The computer consists of:

: AT case
: Abit IT5H V 1.5 HX motherboard
: Cyrix 686L 166+ CPU
: 32megs of 60ns EDO ram
: Western Digital 1.6 gig drive
: Mitsumi 3.5 floppy
: Mitsumi 8x CD rom EIDE drive
: Northgate Omni keyboard
: Microsoft serial mouse

: Question: I don't have a video card, (can't find the old Matrox
: Mystique), the card I am using in the Win98 system is a Diamond Monster
: Fusion PCI card. I would like to get a new AGP card for the new machine
: and use the Fusion in the old board (no AGP support in the ABIT) but I
: have heard that the linux doesn't like the banshee's chipset. I have
: been reading that there is drivers out for the banshee if your linux is
: glibc, but it won't work for libc5. I have no idea what this is.

: I will be setting the linux machine as a stand alone for learning. No
: server work.

: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

: Joe

--
Andrew I. Rothstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP: finger -l [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 4707090

------------------------------

From: wayne keenan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: using 2 monitors
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:21:14 +0100

Hi all,

Does anybody have any:   ideas, success, helpful pointers
about running 2 GFX cards on my RH 6.0 linux box?

I am currently using my ATI-Expert@Play (mach64 chipset)  as my only
viewport into my PC, but I would like to have my Diamond stealth (s3)
running too.
Both are PCI devices, I have a Asus p5a super socket 7 mother board.

I think that if it is possible I would only be able to use my  Stealth
in VGA text
mode (using memory at b000 and after) , I seem to have dragged that up
from
something I read somewhere sometime ago.  Using text is OK, what I
intend to do is this:
Write a C library which has kernel access to the video memory and then
create
a perl interface to the C library so that I can use the Stealth/Monitor
as a debugging aid.
 It has other uses too, but thats my main interest at the moment.

Any help would be grately apprieciated.

Regards
Wayne

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr A.J. Marquis)
Subject: Toshiba Protege 3110CT
Date: 9 Aug 1999 13:32:36 GMT

Hi,
   I am looking for a new NoteBooak and like the look of the
Toshiba Protege 3110CT -- which is new to the UK. Anyone out
there have any experience ? I assume that the installation will
be similar to the 3010/3015 !

Thanks in advance.

Fred Marquis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stew Benedict)
Subject: Re: Linux on an HP OmniBook XE, possible?
Date: 9 Aug 1999 13:50:31 GMT

FWIW - I'm running quite well on an Omnibook 5700CTX.  I'm not sure how
much has changed with the later models.  I've got a Hawkings PCMCIA
ethernet that works well, picked it up for like $26 at onsale.com. Sound
also works, although I do have a problem if I put the machine in
hibernate, I lose sound on the restore.

Stew

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: which printer for linux:815C or 880C?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:33:59 GMT

I plan to buy an injet printer for home use. I use linux, OS/2 (yes
there still exist some of us) and windoze (some applications only exist
is this ??OS??). After some search I had almost deciced to go for an HP
deskjet 880C/882C (the same machinery with different software) as it's
not host based as the 710 and 720 C, has a better quality than the
695/697 series, it's PCL based and it is said to work under OS/2.
However I've found that there exists a new model, the 815C, which
according  to HP page it's not a PPA (windows only) printer and is
cheaper than the 880C.

Is it fully compatible with linux as the 880? (I mean does it write
plain text o.k?, how about the ghostscript driver? and the colour?...)

How about the quality, does the price difference make it worth?

Any one who has any of these printers can share his/her thoughts with
me?

bye

    antonio

P.S. In a world without wall and fences...Who needs Windows and Gates?