From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPL3SA2
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:51:50 -0700

What configuration is causing problem?  What kernel message did you get?  You
shouldn't have to change kernel at all.  Linnix is not using a special kernel, it
is a standard kernel compiled wih gcc 2.81 with Debian 2.1.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape devices
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:18:25 +0200

"David C." wrote:

> Mark Twenhafel writes:
> >
> > The Hardware HOWTO says support is in the kernel.  Does that mean that
> > init probes for the device and after the kernel boots that the device
> > (I'm thinking of an HP-Colorado Travan-4 4GB model) will be accessible
> > from the /dev filesystem?  Then to backup I just use the command tar
> > or cpio with /dev/<some device> as the target?
>
> My systems have SCSI-based tape drives.  Support is automatic.
>
> When the SCSI driver/module loads, the tape device is detected.
> /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 are assigned to it.
>
> There is no special configuration anywhere beyond that necessary for the
> SCSI card itself.

This is definitely *wrong*. See broader explanation later on...

> I suspect that the tape driver will auto-load in a similar fashion with
> an ATAPI drive, when your IDE/ATAPI driver/module loads.

Well, I simply can't stand leaving that uncommented/-corrected...
David, you seem to rely on the *preconfigured and precompiled*
kernel included and installed by your favourite distribution.
But - what would you do if the distributors had _not_ configured
SCSI or ATAPI tape support, then ? (I know that most/all(?) distros
do include tape support, but just in case ?).
Opposed to that, I'd highly recommend for virtually everyone to
take the experience of compiling your own, customized, "individual"
Linux kernel. There are numerous advantages to this :
- you get an operating system that is much better suited to your
  specific HW. Remember that the distributors _must_ include almost
  all kind of HW for people like you (that's not meant as personal
  offense, of course!).
- you can leave out configuration for hardware you don't have or
  will never have. That does help avoiding resource conflicts and
  generally leads to a smaller, almost always faster kernel.
- in case of trouble with some device, you can try different
  configuration options until the result is satisfactory.
- and, last not least : IMHO, this is a good approach, especially
  for newbies, to learn about Linux, how to configure/unconfigure
  drivers, how to compile SW etc. - and, hopefully it does make you
  kind of proud of your "own", individual, "self-built" system.
Now, please don't be afraid too much; if you're willing to study
a bit, you'll see that Linux is very well documented. A good
starting point might be the Kernel-HOWTO, among the other HOWTOs
usually loacted in /usr/doc/HOWTO - these are nice step-by-step
introductions to specific themes. I'm afraid to say that without
the will to learn & read ("RTFM"), maybe Linux - as well as other
"open and closed source" Unices - is *not* the right OS for you...
And, yes, there are configuration options for SCSI and/or ATAPI
tape drives you can switch "on" or "off" - so you see, your
previous statement is partially *wrong*, as it doesn't apply
to *all* possible kernel configurations for everyone !

> > Can you suggest web-based documentation on this?  I don't have a Linux
> > system installed just now.  :-(

Mark, you could feed your favourite search engine with the keywords
"Linux-HOWTO","LDP" (Linux Documentation Project) or similar - and
you'll get hundreds of links, I'm sure; more specific, maybe
"SCSI-HOWTO", "ATAPI-HOWTO" (not sure about this), but there is no
Tape-HOWTO (yet) AFAIK. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific
URL at hand at the moment.
But I'd rather suggest a different approach to you : Get a general
book about Linux (you still know what that is, a "book" ?) at your
local store (or at Amazon, I don't care...); these aren't too
expensive and should cover most Linux themes, including tapes...
AND : most of them include CDs with a Linux distribution, so you
can immediately try out what you read !

4 AM here & enough said - now it's up to you reading and reading...

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Wesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: 2 Questions - Help appreciated!
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:40:22 -0400

I am currently administering a Linux server that is running as a web server,
as well as FTP, RealServer, and recently have added VPN capabilities so I
can connect thru it from my Win98 box to get to the rest of the network
behind it.  I'm running Linux Mandrake 6 on a Pentium 133 w/32Mb RAM.  When
I login, it is registering:  Linux Mandrake release 6.0 (Venus) Kernel
2.2.9-19mdk on an i586.

Ok...first question.  I turned on the monitor a few days ago to find
something similar to this on the console.  I've cut & pasted from the system
log (messages) file what I've found...the first line was a goof on my part
that has been corrected on the FTP server...  The message I found on the
screen was what was on lines 4 & 5 that you see below.  It looks as if there
was some sort of FTP connection attempted, and then possibly a connection in
on my VPN link.  Should I be concerned about this?  Is there something I
should be changing for security reasons?

May 24 15:45:24 www ftpd[27328]: option -t requires an argument
May 24 15:45:24 www ftpd[27328]: FTP session closed
May 24 15:45:25 www telnetd[27329]: ttloop:  peer died: Invalid or
incomplete multibyte or wide character
May 24 15:45:25 www kernel: lockd: connect from unprivileged port:
198.138.221.63:4579<4>lockd: accept failed (err 11)! May 24 15:45:25 www
kernel: lockd: accept failed (err 11)!
May 24 15:45:26 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: Client 198.138.221.63 control
connection started
May 24 15:45:26 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: PPTP Control Message
type -1073742612 not supported.
May 24 15:45:30 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet
length.
May 24 15:45:30 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
May 24 15:45:30 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
May 24 15:45:30 www pptpd[27332]: CTRL: Client 198.138.221.63 control
connection finished

2nd question:  I set this machine up originally on a 1.6Gb hard drive, which
we quickly outgrew.  I installed a 30Gb drive, and re-installed from scratch
(didn't know of any easy way to clone the setup, if anyone does, please let
me know!).  The server is set up on a DSL connection with 2 NIC's.  The
external DSL is connected to a 3COM Etherlink III ISA card on eth0.  There
is an SMC 8416T ISA running the SMC-Ultra driver on eth1.  Never had any
problems when I was running the original setup.  Since I've set up from
scratch on the 30Gb drive, occasionally I get the following message on the
console screen and in the system log:

May 21 22:23:17 www kernel: eth1: next frame inconsistency, 0x9a
May 24 20:59:02 www kernel: eth1: next frame inconsistency, 0x45
May 27 22:17:56 www kernel: eth1: next frame inconsistency, 0x2f

I copied several from the log so you can see what's happening.  For the most
part, the sever is pretty much idle.  After the creation of a file on a PC
on the network, the file is FTP'd to the server, which seems to be when
these errors are occuring...as a file is being uploaded.  It does not always
happen, and I have not noticed any data corruption problems, though to be
honest, I'm not sure.  Another thought that crossed my mind as I was writing
is that at the same time the new HD was set up, there was a network
configuration change in the addition of another hub to the network.  Could
this simply be registering an error on the network that is not causing any
problems?  If there is no danger of data corruption problems, etc. I'm not
going to care, just want to make sure I've not got a more serious problem on
my hands.

If it's not a problem, I would also appreciate an email copy of any reply to
my email address of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance,

Wesley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: VMware
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:42:57 GMT

On Mon, 29 May 2000 17:05:56 GMT, bernie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a news group for VMware?  I didn't a quick search and didn't
>find one.  What I was wondering is how you get the networking bridged,
>mine tells me that it couldn't find an IP address.  Also, can you give
>VMware access to the USB ports?

There's documentation at www.vmware.com and they have a news server at
news.vmware.com

------------------------------

From: Steve Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP:  Linux & HP LaserJet 4050
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:44:55 -0700

BaeKoeunyiTeresa wrote:

> I currently own a HP LaserJet 4050 and am in the process of buying Linux based
> platform for my desktop.  I am trying to find out how and if Dell's Dimension
> Desktop XPS T with  Linux RedHat will interact with my printer.   Does Redhat
> support it?  What new software/hardware will I need to make use of my printer.

    We just bought a 4050TN for our office and installed it on our LAN.  We used
RedHat's printtool to set up the printer configuration as a generic PostScript
printer, and use it at 600x600 and 1200x1200.  No problems at all, and it took
about 20 minutes to set it up.  We gave it an IP address through its control panel,
rather than trying HP's Web JetAdmin (which has Linux support, but we haven't
bothered installing it).

    Using the printtool dialog, I routinely switch between 1-up and 2-up printing.
We're planning to buy the duplexer, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  We
haven't tried any commands to select different paper sizes, types, or trays yet
from Linux, though.  I know it's possible from Windoze and from the supported Sun
lpr scripts, but I haven't tried anything that fancy from Linux yet.

    We also use it from a Win98 admin machine, and it works fine talking with both
OS's.

    Steve Johnson

------------------------------

From: "Joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Viper 770 Ultra and Viper II drivers
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:52:31 GMT

1.    Does anyone know where I can get info on how to set these up under
Redhat 6.1.

2.    Does 6.2 offer autodetect for either of these cards?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper 770 Ultra and Viper II drivers
Date: 31 May 2000 23:02:47 EDT

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:52:31 GMT, Joe
<<PdkZ4.266751$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>1.    Does anyone know where I can get info on how to set these up under
>Redhat 6.1.
>2.    Does 6.2 offer autodetect for either of these cards?

1:  Start Xconfigurator, if the card doesn't get autodetected, tell it to
use the SVGA server and specify the amount of video RAM the card has.
Worked for me with a Diamond Viper 770 and RH 6.1 [0], should work for the
Ultra unless they've b0rken the chipset bits something awful (IIRC both
the normal 770 and the Ultra use the TNT2 chipset.  If I'm worng and the
Ultra uses some sort of modified GeForce chipset, which happens
frequently, you may have to upgrade your Xfree86 or use 6.2.  Upgrade
directions for getting Xfree 3.3.6 are at
http://xfree86.org/3.3.6/RELNOTES.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham/UpgradeXfree.html )

2:  See above.

[0] Xconfigurator, and RedHat in general, had a lot more trouble with this
than SuSE 6.x and SaX did.  *shrug*

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:06:01 -0400
From: lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial component partner for delphi for linux (kylix)

hello one and all,

i have been reading the Serial Programming - HOWTO and attempting to
convert the
async section into a delphi for linux (kylix) object, but i am not well
versed in c++
syntax and lingo.  so i have a short coming.  ok, i admit it.  i have
been using delphi for a very long time.

now then, the libc.pas file in ft1 seems to have all of the constants,
records, and linux api calls to do the job.  but like i said i am a
little short with c++ syntax.  so i am requesting help from a person who

may be interested in being a partner with me in creating TSerial which
will be a nonvisual descendent of TComponent.

i would also like to go deep into creating a really robust and
configurable TSerial component.  which will allow for access not only
via open and ttyS?, but also by setting the irq and mem addr, and
allowing for the memory streaming to be of a variable size, and other
developer controlled properties.

so anyone interested in being a partner with me in TSerial, please post
here or email.  please be more comformtable with c++ then i.  talk to
whomever soon and have a nice day.
--
lucas
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Taylor, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IEEE488?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 03:27:40 GMT

"Lawrence C. W. Tai" wrote:

> Hello!
> Does Linux support IEEE488?
> Thanks.
Good question. I have been trying to find support for National
Instruments hardware for some time now and thus far the only solution
out there is to buy the NI LabView software and install it and use that.
If you already use labView this is not bad news. If you want to do any C
programming under Linux, the Linux Lab Project
http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de
is the home page for this project. After reading a bit of it before, it
seems this site only supports older cards (no PCI) and older Kernels.

Good luck

--
Bob Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Welcome to SuSE Linux 6.3 (i686) - Kernel 2.2.13 (tty1).

Osprey login:

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.hardware
Subject: Re: Additional hard drive for Linux
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 03:31:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:

> "Chris Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > I'd to install a second hard drive for use with Linux, but I need some
> > help.  I have a Compaq Presario 5660 and am out of space for an IDE
> > hard drive.  I also don't have any more parallel ports to use.  I have
> > two open ISA slots, and that's it.
>
> You can add additional IDE controllers.  Linux supports up to four
> (yielding up to 8 drives).
>
> If you think this might not be enough, consider a SCSI card.  Narrow
> SCSI supports up to 7 devices.  Wide SCSI supports up to 15.  (Of
> course, you'll never come close to the limit, since cable-length limits
> will almost certainly kick in first.)

differential SCSI supports *much* longer cables.  while high-voltage
differential is dead, there is a very alive low-voltage version.  with
U2W/LVD you can have a 12 meter cable.  i am sure you can put 15 hard
drives on that much cablage.

> Another advantage of SCSI is that you can attach drives externally.  So
> if you're running out of room in your case, you can just attach your
> drive(s) there.
>
> A good ISA-based SCSI card is the Adaptec 1542C.  (Or its older cousin,
> the 1542B).  They are well supported cards.
>
> Keep in mind, however, that regardless of what kind of interface you
> choose, the ISA bus is going to be a limiting factor in terms of how
> much performance you can get.  Unfortunately, you don't appear to have
> any free PCI slots, either.

i have heard that ISA SCSI on PCI really sucks.  maybe it's good for
zip-drive or scanner, but not a hard drive.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: sound cards and music CDs
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:52:48 -0700

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:08:36 +0200, Bernard Debreil
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >Could someone explain what follows :
> >
> >Until a week ago, I had no sound card installed on my linux system, my
> >AZTEC 2320 being only configured under Windows environment. So, no
> >wonder that I could not launch any sound file on my RedHat 6.0 system.
> >
> >However, strangely enough, one sound utility did work perfectly :  it
> >was the 'XCDPLAY' program. How could that possibly work ?  Are cdrom
> >players equiped with a sound device of their own ?
>
> Yes.  Take off the case and look inside, you'll notice that the CD-ROM has
> a small 4-pin connecter that plugs into a cable which plugs into the
> soundcard.  The CD-ROM pulls the PCM data off the audio CD and pipes it
> directly to its own onboard DAC.  Then the data gets spit out the standard
> computer speaker/headphone plug via a 4-pin connector on the soundcard.
> This is why you can plug a set of headphones into any CD-ROM drive and
> listen to audio CDs that way.
>
> >Now, I have installed my sound card under Linux, using the ALSA-SOUND
> >project system. Sound files work fine, but then my XCDPLAY program no
> >longer works... so, I can no longer listen to music on my computer...
>
> Weird.  Check the mixer settings and make sure the CD volume is cranked to
> a decent level and not muted.  Also, try one of the many other CD players
> out there just in case? ...  workman, kscd, gscd, workbone,
> etcetera.  Make sure the player is pointing at the right device (often,
> this is /dev/cdrom) and such.

Since you did not mention it... did you move the cable mentioned above
so that it is now going from the CD to your sound card?

What do you mean by XCDPLAY not working? Does it appear to be playing
the CD and there is just no sound coming out?

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:13:13 -0700

BaeKoeunyiTeresa wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do not laugh folks but technical people  at Dell & HP have suggested that I ask
> the readers of this particular news group this information.
>
> I currently own a HP LaserJet 4050 and am in the process of buying Linux based
> platform for my desktop.  I am trying to find out how and if Dell's Dimension
> Desktop XPS T with  Linux RedHat will interact with my printer.   Does Redhat
> support it?  What new software/hardware will I need to make use of my printer.
>
> Why not ask RedHat directly, might you ask?  I have tried for 4 work days and
> yet to get through to them....
>
> Thanks for your help.

That printer appears to support both Postscript and PCL languages.
Redhat can speak both right out of the box. What connection do you have?
I use a parallel port connected HP LaserJet (the 4V). That also works
right out of the box.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).