Linux-Hardware Digest #972, Volume #10           Tue, 10 Aug 99 02:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Sony Superstation support? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Diamond Monster3D W/R.H. 6.0? (Don Chorman)
  Re: TV Tuners (Glitch)
  Zoom modem makes odd noises (Brad Hawkins)
  Re: Watch and see... k6.2co6.65jc (Anonymous)
  Re: Ultra ATA 66 support ? (Ricky Ng-Adam)
  Re: loading sound driver twice? (Ian Fiske)
  Re: Problems with a K6 system:Exact same problem (Gerry Chu)
  Re: Watch and see... k6.2co6.65jc ("Peter Jones")
  Re: IDE CDRW Ricoh Supported? (Andy Johnson)
  Re: printer(s) and printdeamon probs. (Mike)
  Re: Zoom modem makes odd noises ("Karl Chu")
  Re: Clock showing Feb 6, 2033 ("Carl Zulauf")
  Re: Xconfig on Toshiba 4030CDS for RH6.0 (Teonanacatl)
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
  Re: Can't INSMOD the BTTV driver in 2.2.5 !!!
  Re: Can't INSMOD the BTTV driver in 2.2.5 !!!
  Re: PS39 Camera support for Linux? (hubert uhlrich)
  486 and monochrome - no output (Ohad Somjen)
  Re: Problems with a K6 system:Exact same problem (Stephen Carville)
  Re: What is devpts (Chris Mahmood)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sony Superstation support?
Date: 8 Aug 1999 21:35:08 GMT

I was recently given a Sony Superstation internal tape drive (IDE) and am
wonder if there is Linux support for it.  (I'm running the RedHat 6.0
distribution.)  I've been to redhat.com, linux.org and the ftape home page
and haven't found anything about it (or didn't see it when I was looking
at it ;)

Antryg

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "Everyone should have a sig quote. This one is mine."

------------------------------

From: Don Chorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Monster3D W/R.H. 6.0?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:08:47 -0400

I have looked at the "Short List X Servers" for the Monster 3D, and I
didn't find any matches. Does anyone know of an Xserver that I can use?
Can I make my own Xserver? If not, I am looking into buying the Diamond
Fire GL1000 Pro, which is on the Xserver list. Has anyone tried using
this card. Any help would be great! I just installed the system (RH
6.0), and I am excited to be a newbie.
Thanks,
Don Chorman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:12:04 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV Tuners

a few guys from a college in New England are working on a program that
works with the tv tuners that are installed on ATI's line of graphic
cards.  I have an ATI All in WOnder PCI w/ 8megs ram and the program
works ok with it. It has all the features setup to be utilized as the
program taht ATI bundles with the card but the guys havent programmed
all the features yet.  its called xatitv i believe..do a search on
freshmeat or someplace like that and its bound to pop up somewhere im
sure.

Brandon

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

From: Brad Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Zoom modem makes odd noises
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:48:43 -0500

Hello.  I cracked my box open today and here's what I found out:  My
modem is trying to tell me something.  When I move the mouse, it whirs.
The mouse is at /dev/ttyS1, and the modem (a Zoom Faxmodem v.34
internal, I think) is at /dev/ttyS2.  So it's basically whirring all the
time under X.  This has to be some sort of weird device conflict,
right?  What I do with the mouse should have nothing to do with the
modem... should it?  Took out the modem -- whirring goes away.

Likewise, there is the problem I mentioned in an earlier message:  When
running Esound, the modem starts whining.  Shut down Esound, the whining
stops.  Run the CPU at a certain level, the whining also stops, until
CPU activity settles down again.

Freaky, huh?  Anyone have any clues?

Brad Hawkins

Date: 5 Aug 1999 17:50:01 -0000
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Watch and see... k6.2co6.65jc
Crossposted-To: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe,rec.travel.europe,nz.comp

This is your last warning! Read CAREFULLY and be edified:

 THAT 'MONSTRIFEROUS' COMET LEE will be seen during the
 solar eclipse this August 11th, followed by WWIII, the
 1300-meter "King of Terror" meteoroid impact before 10
 October 1999, and *many* catastrophic events, including
 the 20+ degree shifting of the polar axis before 2002!
 The Tribulation prophesied even by our Lord and Savior
 Jesus Christ is begun. ANSWER THIS: Are *you* prepared?

 The next three months are charted below for reference
 (Hebrew calendar dates begin at sunset the day before):

                         August

                S   M   T   W   T   F   S
                1   2   3   4   5   6   7
                8   9  10  11* 12  13  14
               15  16  17  18  19  20  21
               22  23  24  25  26  27  28
               29  30  31

            *August 11th total solar eclipse;
             2001 tropical-solar years after
             the birth of Jesus the Nazarene;
             COMET LEE seen during totality,
             watch and see...keyword: WATCH!

                        September

                S   M   T   W   T   F   S
                            1   2   3   4
                5   6   7   8   9  10  11*
               12  13  14^ 15  16  17  18
               19 *20* 21  22  23+ 24  25>
               26  27  28  29  30

               *Rosh ha-Shannah[1 Ethanim]
                ^old Julian September 1st
                **Yom Kippur[10 Ethanim]
                 +Equinox @ 11:31 AM GMT
                 >Succoth[15-21 Ethanim]
                  (Feast of Tabernacles)

                         October

                S   M   T   W   T   F   S
                                    1   2*
                3   4   5   6   7   8   9
               10< 11  12  13  14  15  16
               17  18  19  20  21  22  23
               24  25  26  27  28  29  30
               31
               *Last Great Day[22 Ethanim];
               <K.O.T. before October 10th!

                          ----

Realize, this is ALL about our Lord YHSH, the Christ:

  -Jesus was born before sunrise Monday, August 12, 3 BC.
  -Jesus was visited by the Magi Tuesday, June 17, 2 BC.
  -Jesus was baptised on Saturday, September 20, 27 AD.
  -Jesus rode into Jerusalem Saturday, April 21, 31 AD.
  -Jesus was crucified on Wednesday, April 25, 31 AD at
   9 AM, and died shortly after 3 PM that afternoon; His
   body was entombed after sunset the eve of the Sabbath.
  -Jesus was resurrected early Saturday evening, April 28,
   31 AD. This fact was discovered at 5 AM Sunday morning.
  -Jesus was 11,944 days of age at His crucifixion. He'd
   lived 32 years/36 weeks/4 days. Now He lives forever.

This solar eclipse is precisely *2001* years plus *1* day
after the birth of Jesus on August 12, 3 BC[Julian calendar].
Once you discern the Presence of the Lord, you'll understand
the present earthchanges, and you'll know that the outcome is
foreordained by God from the beginning, that it is His prophecy
fulfilled because His Word---His Law---is Immutable(as always)!

Godspeed,
Daniel

------------------------------

From: Ricky Ng-Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ultra ATA 66 support ?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:15:13 -0400

Hello!

David Ripton wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Sheldon Newhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Anyone know if the Ultra 66 ATA controllers are supported in Linux?
>
> Not yet.

Yet.

http://opensource.captech.com/LinuxIDE/

Of course, you have to patch your 2.2.10 kernel and I can't get it to
work on my BP6, but people from Abit said it should work...

ciao,

--
Ricky Ng-Adam
Montreal (Quebec), Canada              [Powered by Linux!]

------------------------------

From: Ian Fiske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.config
Subject: Re: loading sound driver twice?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:30:42 GMT

thanks!  i did did that and it the error message is gone!

ian

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Gerry Chu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Problems with a K6 system:Exact same problem
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:36:41 GMT

I took off my cover and pointed a room fan set on "high" at the CPU.
Then I underclocked it to 300. Compiled successfully. Upped it to 400.
A-OK. Tried 450. Bam! Error 127: libc.so.6 cannot read file data: no
such file or directory (something like that). So I went back down to
400. It worked again. I switch back and forth from 450 and 400 several
times. It always gave me an error at 450 and compiled successfully at
400. The CPU temperature was 95 degrees all through the test. The
bottom of the CPU is stamped 450 megahertz, so the store I bought it
from didn't cheat me. Any guesses? Oh, and yes, I do shut it off at
night.

Thanks

Gerry Chu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(remove nospam)

From: "Peter Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe,rec.travel.europe,nz.comp,alt.astrology.marketplace,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.prophecies.cayce
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:40:25 +1200

Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> This is your last warning! Read CAREFULLY and be edified:
Snippa Buncha Crap
> Godspeed,
> Daniel

Obviously this is why IBM were unable to complete the INCIS
project.....

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CDRW Ricoh Supported?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:56:55 -0500

Peter Lubke wrote:

> So what can you tell me about the Ricoh series of CD-R/RW - are they supported?
>
> root wrote:
>
> > Jeremy Fincher wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it possible to use an IDE CDRW in linux?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jeremy
> > >
> > > ----------------------------------
> > > If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
> > > cummings
> > >
> > > My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
> > > Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!
> >
> > It is possible but diffcult.  For starters you must recompile the kernel
> > to use SCSI emulation and generic SCSI support.  The you must get a
> > software package that supports that particular CD R.

Yes, I just installed a Ricoh MP7040A IDE/ATAPI CD-RW drive,
and I wrote my first CD-R last week.  I originally tried to use the SCSI
emulation using modules, since that is how my parallel port ZIP drive
works.  After much hair pulling and kernel OOPS trying to get the modules
to work, I compiled the SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support, SCSI
emulation,  SCSI generic, and SCSI vendor specific into the kernel, and left
out the ATAPI CD-ROM.  I left ISO9660 as a module, and I downloaded
UDF to read (and maybe write) packet CD-RWs made in Windoze.

On my system I can mount the CD as /dev/sr0 (update /etc/fstab) and the isofs
module will autoload.  I can insmod udf when I want to play with packet CDs.

As for writing, I used mkisofs to create the image, then cdrecord to device /dev/sg0
to burn the disk.  See the CD-writing HOWTO for the details here.

My question to the world at this point is does anyone know how to do CD
packet writing?  I'm using SuSE 6.1 w/kernel 2.2.7.  Just mounting the CD
as read/write instead of read-only would be a start.

Andy Johnson

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.windows.x.kde,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: printer(s) and printdeamon probs.
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:33:55 GMT

Michel Girard wrote:

> For me the daemon was already running after the installation,
> but the only problem  I found was that I had to remove the variables
> from the /etc/spool/lpd/lp1/printfilter (ex: Devices=laserjet) ; they are
> already in /etc/sysconfig/printers/lp1
> after you run the K prog for the printers config.
> And you also have to change in the same file (printfilter), the line
> gs -q -s device=$GSDEVICE
>
> all that for my HP Deskjet 560c.
>
> mike a écrit dans le message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Hi
> >
> >Thanks ahead
> >
> >Is there a tool that set up the printers?  I'm running OL2.2 and am
> >having problems with the setup.
> >
> >Printers
> >
> >HP laserjet series II  what settings should I use?
> >
> >HP Deskjet 720C what settings should I use?
> >
> >Using the printer config window in KDE I tried to turn on the print
> >daemon. It didn't.  So does that mean that I have to have the correct
> >settings for the printers before deamon will turn on.  What things might
> >prevent me from activating the print deamon?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Mike

Sounds simple.  However, I'm not sure which k program you are referring to.

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Karl Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom modem makes odd noises
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 05:03:44 GMT

Brad Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello.  I cracked my box open today and here's what I found out:  My
> modem is trying to tell me something.  When I move the mouse, it whirs.
> The mouse is at /dev/ttyS1, and the modem (a Zoom Faxmodem v.34
> internal, I think) is at /dev/ttyS2.  So it's basically whirring all the
> time under X.  This has to be some sort of weird device conflict,
> right?  What I do with the mouse should have nothing to do with the
> modem... should it?  Took out the modem -- whirring goes away.
>
> Likewise, there is the problem I mentioned in an earlier message:  When
> running Esound, the modem starts whining.  Shut down Esound, the whining
> stops.  Run the CPU at a certain level, the whining also stops, until
> CPU activity settles down again.
>
> Freaky, huh?  Anyone have any clues?
>
> Brad Hawkins
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just a wild guess...  Could it be that you have /dev/modem symbolically
linked to /dev/ttyS1 (ie. your mouse)?  Or something like that?

Something similar I had experienced was that mouse movements under X produce
a very silent but audiable "chirping" noise.  I don't know whether that was
the same phenomenon your are faced with.  My problem seemed to have gone
away all by itself.  Anyway...

Cheers!
Karl

PS:  Come to think of it, I think I had a Zoom 14.4 modem in my machine when
that happened to me.  Hmmm....

------------------------------

From: "Carl Zulauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Clock showing Feb 6, 2033
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:23:51 GMT

your BIOS clock battery is bad, get a new one.

news:4MKr3.60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Teonanacatl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Xconfig on Toshiba 4030CDS for RH6.0
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:41:49 -0600

If your screen is physically limited to 800x600 resolution, as mine is
(a 12"tft with 2mb vid ram), you can still do 1024x768 at 16 bit color
depth using X windows virtual scrollable resolution.
Here is my configuration file for X, and I will insert the line which
enables the virtual res.  I'm running it with SuSE 6.1, so if you're not
using this distro, check the path statements, file location statements,
server name statements, etc.  The actual resolution, dot clocks,
frequencies will all work correctly for you.  I am running it on a Chips
& Tech 65554 but this server also works for the 65555 as well.  If you
have less vid memory, you will need to run your box at lesser
resolutions, OR at lesser color depths.

# SaX autogenerated XF86Config file
# This file was generated from the SaX
# Version: 2.8 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# Date: Thu Aug  5 03:06:35 MDT 1999
# Xserver:SVGA
# MouseVendor:Unknown
# MouseName:Unknown
# RamDac:50
# Dac8:50
# Dac16:50
# Dac24:50
# Dac32:50

Section "Files"
  RgbPath       "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
  FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  AllowMouseOpenFail
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

# This section is no longer supported
# See a template below
# Section "XInput"
# EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
  Protocol      "Standard"
  XkbRules      "xfree86"
  XkbModel      "pc104"
  XkbLayout     "us"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
  Protocol              "PS/2"
  Device                "/dev/psaux"
  SampleRate            94
  Emulate3Buttons
  Emulate3Timeout       126
  BaudRate              1200
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier    "Primary-Monitor"
  VendorName    "!!! LCD !!!"
  ModelName     "SVGA 800X600@60HZ"
  HorizSync     31.5-58
  VertRefresh   40-80

#vert refersh was 58-62
#Horis Sync was 31.5-40

  Modeline "1024x768" 49.93 1024 1040 1216 1328 768 768 773 802
  Modeline "640x480" 25.79 640 656 720 832 480 480 484 501
  Modeline "800x600" 40.35 800 856 968 1040 600 600 606 626
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier    "Primary-Card"
  VendorName    "---AUTO DETECTED---"
  BoardName     "---AUTO DETECTED---"
  Chipset       "ct65554"
  Videoram      2048
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Driver        "SVGA"
  Device        "Primary-Card"
  Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     16

  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       16
    Modes       "800x600"
    Virtual      1024  768
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection

  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       8
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Driver        "Accel"
  Device        "Primary-Card"
  Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     16

  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       16
    Modes       "800x600"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection

  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       8
    Modes       "640x480"
  EndSubSection
EndSection
The dotted lines are NOT part of the file.  The last section of the file
called Accel is not even used.

Try these settings and write back if you have further questions.  I also
run Red Hat 5.1 with MetroX's ct server on another hard drive for this
same laptop.  We could consult that drive if needed.   Hell, write back
anyway!

Good Luck

--
Valentin Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:30:45 -0700

On 9 Aug 1999 12:05:42 GMT, fIPS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I'm sorry - I'm TICKED - I cross-posted this note to two ng's (really
>> want to spam the entire world with it)
>
>> Here is my wonderful little letter of discontent that I just emailed
>> to ATI Technologies.  Read it or toss it - I just had to get it off my
>> chest..  Thanks - Chip Rose. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> =======
>[blah]
>Hi,
>i totally disagree to you, ATi does support some people with technical
>informations to write linux-drivers to get their TV-Tuner to work. They
>only do not want to make these informations opensource which i can
>understand of their point of view.

        Then you don't understand the technicals details of the card
        involved. That tuner chip is publically doucmented. Only it's
        backend interface to ATI's chips is an issue. THAT is hardly
        of strategic advantage.

        What ATI uses is a variant of the bt848s.

>So please be patient since as usual in the linux-world the driverdevelopers
>don't get paid for their work and have to do some other stuff for a living.

[deletia]

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Can't INSMOD the BTTV driver in 2.2.5 !!!
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:42:28 -0700

On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 07:39:53 -0500, Eric Rouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I added a script to my local init with:
>
>/sbin/insmod /<where your modules are/i2c.o
>/sbin/insmod /<where your modules are/videodev.o
>/sbin/insmod /<where your modules are/bttv.o
>/sbin/insmod /<where your modules are/tuner.o

        modprobe bttv
        modprobe tuner

        Will do equally well.

        Your modules should end up in /lib/modules/<version>/misc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:43:32 -0700

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:50:59 +0200, Cedric Blancher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I also had problems to make my Miro PCTV work on a 2.2.x kernel. I solve
>them by adding those lines to my /etc/conf.modules :
>
>alias char-major-81 bttv
>pre-install bttv modprobe -k tuner
>options bttv card=1
>options tuner type=3
>
>Card autodetection didn't seem to work properly with 2.2.0, that's why I
>added 'options bttv card=1'.

        You might want to get the latest module source and upgrade.

From: hubert uhlrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PS39 Camera support for Linux?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:45:41 GMT

Did you try photopc and it's front end gphoto?? Works for most cams=20
with serial communication.

Good luck

On 8/5/99, 2:01:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erik) wrote=20
regarding PS39 Camera support for Linux?:

------------------------------

From: Ohad Somjen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 486 and monochrome - no output
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:29:20 +0300

hi,
i just installed RH6.0 on an old 486DX66 w/8MB ram
and 500+ disk

everything works fine except for the fact
that when i boot my custom kernel or a kernel
that i built on my PII-233/192MB i see
(i use lilo)

uncompressing .................. ok now booting

and then nothing

the "disply" adapter is an old monochrome that has also
a parallel port built on it.

the strange thing is that i have output from the kernel-2.2.5-22
that came with the cd ( i upgraded from kernel-2.2.5-15)

TIA,
        Ohad

ps - please cc my email

------------------------------

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:38:34 -0700

TekMate wrote:

> Can't vouch for k6-2 but I have a k6 300 with no problems I would take the
> case off it probally is locking up from heat. Do you leave it on all the
> time or do you shut it off at night.

Should this make a difference?   I have a Pentium 150 that I leave up
7x24 and it has never had a problem.  Is there some weakness in the K6
that makes it sensitive to prolonged exposure to heat.  If so, AMD
just went on my s**t list.

--
Stephen Carville

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is devpts
Date: 09 Aug 1999 17:12:01 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My fstab has the following entry:
>     none  /dev/pts   devpts  mode=0622 0 0
> What is it?
It's the device used by BackPenguinOrifice, sounds like you've been
cracked...
Just kidding, it's the device used by the Unix98 pseudo-tty.  As per
the Configure.help:
 You'll then get a virtual filesystem which can be mounted on
  /dev/pts with "mount -t devpts". This, together with the pseudo
  terminal master multiplexer /dev/ptmx, is used for pseudo terminal
  support as described in The Open Group's Unix98 standard: in order
  to acquire a pseudo terminal, a process opens /dev/ptmx; the number
  of the pseudo terminal is then made available to the process and the
  pseudo terminal slave can be accessed as /dev/pts/<number>. What was
  traditionally /dev/ttyp2 will then be /dev/pts/2, for example.

  The GNU C library glibc 2.1 contains the requisite support for this
  mode of operation; you also need client programs that use the Unix98
  API.

-ckm