Linux-Hardware Digest #10, Volume #11            Sat, 14 Aug 99 10:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  2nd hard disk red hat 5.1 ("Marc Broomhead")
  Diamond MX-300 Soundcard Setup ("The Wizard")
  Re: tulip switches to AUI media when network down (David Hayes)
  Re: Modem Binding ("Tony Platt")
  Re: 2nd hard disk red hat 5.1 (Paul Colquhoun)
  S3 Savage 3D ("xyzplace")
  any tv-out videocard i can use with linux? (Willem Romijn)
  Re: ULTA-DMA won't work ("Peter Luns")
  Comments about the Supermicro p6sba motherboard (Luis Cova)
  Re: Linux and ATI Rage Fury. (Ross McGregor)
  installation/upgrade problem RH6.0 ("Duhhh")
  HELP! need Drivers for SiS 6215C video card. ("Pranjal Srivastava")
  kppp freezed my apps!!!! (L'acheteur)
  Re: Building a Windows & Linux Compatible PC ("Jan Gerrit Kootstra")
  Re: Soundblaster Live ("tj")
  Re: US Robotics Sportster 33.6 ISA modem supported? (Unclebob)
  Re: Parallel SparQ drive & Linux (Grant Guenther)
  Re: Serial Cards for Linux for PPP Server in the UK ? (Maurice Janssen)
  What kind of equipment should I get. ("jemmons")
  SCSI problem ("Frank Dijcks")

From: "Marc Broomhead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2nd hard disk red hat 5.1
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:15:09 +1200

i do not know very much about linux, but i am learning fast.

I would like to add a second hard disk to linux and i have so far got to the
stage where fdisk sees it as /dev/hdb. i have partioned it.

can someone please tell me how i now cane access this drive automatically as
a directory.

thanks

marc broomhead

------------------------------

From: "The Wizard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond MX-300 Soundcard Setup
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:26:46 -0400

Hi,

I just installed SuSe 6.1 and according to the documentation at the time it
was printed, my soundcard Diamond MX-300 PCI was not supported.

Has anyone been able to setup sound using the card? If so, how and what
setting did you use? Is there a new patch with which I can add support for
this card?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Humayun

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hayes)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.axp
Subject: Re: tulip switches to AUI media when network down
Date: 14 Aug 1999 07:34:33 GMT

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:19:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i've got a couple of machines with Digital DC21040 Tulip cards
>that've got 10baseT, AUI and BNC connectors.  whenever we
>experience a power failure, these machines' NICs switch to
>AUI media.
>
>short of replacing the cards, is there any way to stop them
>from switching media?  ifconfig doesn't seem to have any
>options.

ifconfig doesn't, but the tulip.o module does. Here's a section from
the source code:

/*  The possible media types that can be set in options[] are: */
static const char * const medianame[] = {
        "10baseT", "10base2", "AUI", "100baseTx",
        "10baseT-FD", "100baseTx-FD", "100baseT4", "100baseFx",
        "100baseFx-FD", "MII 10baseT", "MII 10baseT-FD", "MII",
        "10baseT(forced)", "MII 100baseTx", "MII 100baseTx-FD", "MII
100baseT4",};

So you can load it with "modprobe tulip options=12" (10baseT-forced)
might do it for you.

--
David Hayes

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: Modem Binding
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:45:30 +1000

EQL

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: 2nd hard disk red hat 5.1
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 07:45:02 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:15:09 +1200, Marc Broomhead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|i do not know very much about linux, but i am learning fast.
|
|I would like to add a second hard disk to linux and i have so far got to the
|stage where fdisk sees it as /dev/hdb. i have partioned it.
|
|can someone please tell me how i now cane access this drive automatically as
|a directory.

OK.

Primary partitions will (generally) be numbered 1 to 4,
an extended partition will be numbered 5, but won't be directly usable.
Any partitions *inside* the extended partition will be numbered
starting with 6.

To make a partition useable, there are only a few extra steps;

1) Make a filesystem in the partition. This is done with the
   command mke2fs  ( MaKe Ext2 File System ):

   mke2fs /dev/hdb1

2) Tell the system where you want the new space to be put.
   This is done by putting an entry in the file /etc/fstab
   ( File System TABle ). The line tells the system where
   to find the partition on disk, where to mount it on the
   file system, and what sort of partition it is. A line like
   this should work for you:

   /dev/hdb1    /path/to/space   ext2   defaults    1  1

   /dev/hdb1  is where to find the partition on the disk

   /path/to/space  is where the space will appear after
   it is mounted. This needs to be an already existing
   directory, so you may need to create it with  mkdir

   ext2  is the format of the partition

   defaults  are the mount options. Using defaults will
   mount the partition aoutomatically at boot time.

   The last 2 fields are used by the  dump  backup program
   and the  fsck  disk checker to control if they should
   notice the partition or not.

3) Now you can actually mount the partition with the command:

   mount /path/to/space

See  man fstab  and  man mount  for more details.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: "xyzplace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Savage 3D
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:45:06 +0800

Hi,
Do anyone know how I can get S3 Savage 3D video driver?
Thank you for your help!

------------------------------

From: Willem Romijn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: any tv-out videocard i can use with linux?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 08:30:46 GMT

I'm looking for an AGP or PCI videocard that can do TV-out under Linux. I
know there are a lot of these cards available today, and some of them have
an X-server, but I couldn't find any information about the support of
their TV-out connection. Anyone got X-windows or bare Linux running on a
TV? Please share your experience with me.

TIA,
Willem Romijn

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Peter Luns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ULTA-DMA won't work
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:55:21 +0200

Try patching the kernel to 2.3.3 or higher. Apparently release 2.3.10 is a
good one to choose.

Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Unrot13 this;
> Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Ronald Verlaan;
>
> The disks are probably preset for UDMA-66. and there is no 'auto-switch'
> in the protocol. :-(
>
> The best linux is doing in kernels 2.2.9 and later is UDMA-33.  Get the
> drive makers software to switch this down to UDMA-33, and they'll do
> fairly well, or should.  I do about 13 m/s on the primary, and 8 m/s on
> the secondary with a VIA chipset here. 2.2.10-ac12 kernel.  TYAN S1590S,
> 400 mhz AMD K6-etc-etc.
>
> For the WD drives, its 'WDATA66' which will toggle the flash options.
> The drive you are working on must be master on the primary interface
> while you run the utility from a bare dos boot.
>
> I don't know what the other makers call their utility.
>
>  RV> Dear all,
>
>  RV> This weekend I upgraded my pc in order to make if faster.
>
>  RV> I bought an ASUS P5A mainbord with a AMD K6-2 450 MHz cpu.
>
>  RV> When I boot my pc the bios recognises /dev/hda and /dev/hdc as
>  RV> U-DMA disks which is correct. However oin linux it does not work:
>
>  RV> PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 78,
>  RV> VID=10b9, DID=5229 PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs
>  RV> later PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA disabled ide0: PCI_IDE
>  RV> Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS) PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA
>  RV> disabled ide1: PCI_IDE Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
>
>  RV> As you can see the IDE controller is unknown.
>
>  RV> lspci gives me:
>
>  RV> 00:0f.0 IDE interface: Acer Laboratories Inc. M5229 (rev c1)
>
>  RV> Does anybody know how to make this work?
>
>  RV> Thanx
>

>  RV> Ronald Verlaan
>
>  RV> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  RV> http://www.casema.net/~ronald
>  RV> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>  RV> ---------- The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury.  Due
>  RV> north of the center we find the South End.  This is not to be
>  RV> confused with South Boston which lies directly east from the
>  RV> South End.  North of the South End is East Boston and southwest
>  RV> of East Boston is the North End.
>

> Cheers, Gene
> --
>   Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
>     Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface
III

From: Luis Cova <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Comments about the Supermicro p6sba motherboard
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 08:47:02 GMT

I would like to know what are youre comments about the SUPER MICRO
P6SBA motherboard, in terms of speed, reability, performance, etc.
In other words, IS IT A GOOD MOTHERBOARD ?????????

Have you had any, ANY, trouble with it, whith a pentium II or III
installed, with Windows 98 and/or linux or any trouble at all.

Luis Cova

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ross McGregor)
Subject: Re: Linux and ATI Rage Fury.
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:51:07 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:57:31 GMT, "Chris Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does Linux support this card? Is anyone running with a Rage Fury? I have
>checked the hardware compatibility lists and cannot find this card
>mentioned, unless it is backward compatible with a already supported ATI
>card.
>
>Thanks

Hi Chris - the Rage 128 isn't currently supported in XFree86. I got
this from the FAQ today :   :(

Q.F22- How do I get XFree86 to work with my new ATI card?
First, you need to get the XFree86 3.3.4 Mach64 server if you don't
already have it. It should automatically detect the ATI chips
available up to the time of its release (July 1999), except for all
Rage128 cards (like the Fury). One exception from this is the Rage Pro
LT chipset, as the server doesn't support the LCD with that chipset. A
fix for this problem is known and will be included in XFree86-3.3.5.

Rage128 support is under development, but will not be ready in time
for XFree86-3.3.5.

Q.F23- Is there any other way I can get an unsupported card to work?
Well, there is. If you are running Linux and the card is VBE-2.0
compliant in hardware. Unfortunately even today many new cards are
not. But if yours is, then you can setup a late version of the Linux
kernel (anything newer than 2.1.119 should do) with vesafb and use the
XF86_FBDev server with it. Anthony D'Amico has a nice introduction how
to do this at http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/, where he describes
how to get the Banshee to work. Note that the section there about
installing the XF68_FBDev X server can be omitted. Instead use the
XF86_FBDev that is provided as part of XFree86 3.3.4. This works in a
very similar way for other VBE-2.0 compliant cards as well.

From: "Duhhh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation/upgrade problem RH6.0
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:01:17 +0200

I have 5.0 working on my system, when installing RH6.0 (also a registered
version)it fails to pass the probe of my scsi adapter (adaptec 2940). The
following message appears
"<4> SCSI host 0 abort (pio18) timed out -trying harder
<4> SCSI bus is being reset fort host 0 channel 0.....
<4> SCSI host 0 abort (pio18) timed out -resetting"
That is odd because 5.0 has no problem with my adapter...why should 6.0?
Next idea is to upgrade and not installing..
when i try to RPM the headings and source of kernel 2.3.3 it gives the
following message:
"libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.0) is needed
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1) is needed" this message appears also when i try to rpm
any other programm.
What to do now?

------------------------------

From: "Pranjal Srivastava" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! need Drivers for SiS 6215C video card.
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:32:24 +0530

Hi!
 my friend has installed linux on his system
and he deperately needs linux drivers for his
 SiS 6215C video card.

please send details to this newsgroup or to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
thankx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L'acheteur)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kppp freezed my apps!!!!
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:11:28 GMT

My system can sucessfully dial up to my ISP via kppp. However, after
the connection is made i am not able to run any applications!!! I know
that RH is there as the minute minder in the dial up indicator shows
it. I wanted to run Netscape but couldn't, i wanted to run mail client
but couldn't...BTW i  m using Gnome as the windows manager...any idea
of what's wrong?? Thank you.

Beginner

------------------------------

From: "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.alpha,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Building a Windows & Linux Compatible PC
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:31:06 +0200

Andy,

Windows NT does support dual proccessing, 95 or 98 does not.

I have a atrend 6260 motherboard, with intel PentiumII 400MHz processors and
2 10Gb harddisks (brand unknown at this moment, I think Western Digital)

Good luck, I am still struggeling in getting Windows NT to work.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Andy heeft geschreven in bericht ...

------------------------------

From: "tj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 08:38:08 -0400

Saman Yaghini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Has anyone been able to get Soundblaster Live running under Red Hat 6.0?

Yep. check out http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux to get the
appropriate drivers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Unclebob)
Subject: Re: US Robotics Sportster 33.6 ISA modem supported?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:51:33 GMT

On or about Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:14:42 -0700,
a clone of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
exceeded his limitations by posting....

=> is it a winmodem?

Probably not. I have a USR 1172 external which works fine.

--
 unclebob                                                                       |

==================================|
'idiot box <id'ee-ut> n. singular'|
'linux box connected to an  idiot'|
==================================|
<see headers to send e-mail>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Guenther)
Subject: Re: Parallel SparQ drive & Linux
Date: 14 Aug 1999 12:10:50 GMT

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:19:12 -0700, Marianne Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone know how to set up a parallel SparQ drive in Linux.  I am using
>OpenLinux 2.2.

Check out http://www.torque.net/parport/

Grant R. Guenther                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Maurice Janssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Serial Cards for Linux for PPP Server in the UK ?
Date: 14 Aug 1999 13:09:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup David Travers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Does anyone know of cheap but reliable multi-port serial cards (4 ports or
: more) that can be used with external modems to create a PPP server (ISA or
: PCI).

I have been using a 4-port card from Byterunner since some time
(www.byterunner.com). Until now, I am quite happy with it. It supports
interrupt sharing. I don't know how it will perform under full load, I have
only a UPS and some terminals connected to it.

: If you have prices, web links, technical info etc that would be great.

I think I paid about $55 for it (excl. shipping).

HTH, Maurice
--
Maurice Janssen       |    The best way to accelerate
                      |    a computer running Windows
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    is at 9.8 m/s^2

------------------------------

From: "jemmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What kind of equipment should I get.
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:25:20 GMT

David, I've tried to post a response a couple of times already.  I don't
know what if anything I am doing wrong.  Anyhow, first you should read "Now
You're Talking" for more info and to study for a Technician license.  Its
easy if your interested and the tests are under $8.  You will
need a tranceiver and a terminal node controller(TNC) to attach to your
computer.  I think the TNC is to translate keystrokes to audio tones to br
transmitted with your radio.  It also translates received tones to words on
your screen.  I am pretty sure I've seen some info
about interfaceing all this to a Linux box at the various Linux
Documentation Project mirror sites.  My RH6.0 installation has AX25-HOWTO
and HAM-HOWTO files located in /usr/doc/HOWTO.  I think you will find much
more packet radio activity on the 2meter VHF band than anywhere else.  These
frequencies are not as well suited to direct global contacts as are found in
th HF bands.  However, there are repeater networks in place for packet
transmissions just as there are for voice.  Besides, the smaller VHF
antennas are easier to mount when the site is an apartment or vehicle.  The
TNC and tranceiver should be available for $50 and $100 (used).  I have even
heard that clever programmers can manipulate the sound card to eliminate the
TNC.  I guess they are producing tones and using a voice activated
microphone to key the tranceiver.  I hope some other ham out there can
correct any errors and help to interest you.  This is the last I will
attempt to post.  Jimmy KC5WPY or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Frank Dijcks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI problem
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:19:24 +0200

I have a weird problem with a Buslogic Flashpoint SCSI adapter.

First I used the Flashpoint with an Intel Endeavor motherboard, a Pentium
133 MHz, and a Fujitsu 4 GB harddisk. Worked for years.
Then I replaced the motherboard with a DFI P5BV3+ with an AMD K6-2/350.

RedHat 5.2 could not bootup anymore and locks up during fsck.
So I reinstalled 5.2 and tried 6.0, but they both hangup during formatting
of the disk. No warnings, just a complete stop.

I replaced the harddisk by a 1 GB drive and that worked fine.
I installed WinNT on the 4 GB drive and that works fine.
I have also swapped around the cards in the PCI slots and I even have had
the Flashpoint as the only PCI card. No success.

Can anyone give me some clues?

Frank Dijcks