Linux-Hardware Digest #97, Volume #11            Wed, 25 Aug 99 21:13:41 EDT

Contents:
  Linux not detect Scsi drive (Rodrigo D'Almeida Ferreira)
  scsi atapi emulation (JT)
  can I tell a winmodem by looking at it? (Jeremy Fincher)
  Re: NewB... change ethernet hw after installation... (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Dual Celeron ("James")
  Re: Will Linux run on a MII? ("Robert M. Taylor")
  Re: VESA (Frank v Waveren)
  Compaq Onboard Ethernet (Kyle Hargraves)
  Re: UPS for LINUX (Jeremy Fincher)
  Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: modem recommendations? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: micro-channel (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Ultra Ata ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RealPlayer 5.0 wont work, Netscape 4.51, Slackware 4.0.0 (Hal Burgiss)
  Chaintech 5AGM2 locks up durring Install ("Richard Hornell")
  Re: Linux on AMD K6-2/400? ("Glen Parker")
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (David C.)
  Re: CD-RW drive making me crazy.. (Larry Ozarow)
  modem ("T. Chu")
  Re: Memory Upgrade ("Glen Parker")
  FA:  D-Link DE600 Parallel Port Ethernet Adapters (Bob)
  Firewire (IEEE1394) -> VXI (Stephen Gibson)
  High resolution monitors (and Video cards) for Linux (gxu)
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (David C.)
  Re: Maximum partition size? (Ray Kohler)
  HELP! Promise Ultra66 anybody ("WEICHEH KOH")

From: Rodrigo D'Almeida Ferreira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux not detect Scsi drive
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:18:07 -0300

Hi,
I'm starting to learn Linux but I can't install it in a HD scsi.
It can't detect the aha1542 drive. How can i do?
Has another boot for hd scsi?
I've never installed linux in a hd scsi.

Please, help me
Sorry for my English

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SP-Brazil

------------------------------

From: JT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: scsi atapi emulation
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:30:56 GMT

I have tried everything.  I have recompiled the kernel countless times.  I
have set the lilo.conf to:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/bzImage
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"

I have set my fstab to:

/dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     msdos    user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd0               /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
user,exec,dev,suid,ro,n
oauto 0 0
/dev/hdb4               /mnt/zip                vfat
user,exec,dev,suid,rw,n
oauto 0 0
/dev/scd1       /cdwriter       iso9660  user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0

none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  mode=0622       0
0

My bios recognizes both of the cd drives(both cd-rom and cd-writer)

I have a P2-450 and am runnint RedHat 6.0
I am running kernel 2.2.5-15

I have set scsi-emulation on.
I have turned atapi-cdrom drivers off.

As you can tell I am a little frustrated.

All help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
JT

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: can I tell a winmodem by looking at it?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 23:33:58 GMT

Is there some telltale electronic device on a modem that will let me know by
looking at it if it's a winmodem or not?  Just some visible circuitry or some
thing on the pcb that will let me know.

Thanks,
Jeremy

==================================
If i ever forget to capitalize a proper noun, forgive me.  i'm a big fan of ee
cummings

My ICQ # is 28153190. My AIM/AOL name is either jemfinch02 or Cassius80.
Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors!

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NewB... change ethernet hw after installation...
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:30:55 -0700

"Alex McMorris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This should be REALLY simple.  I've installed Linux-Mandrake v6.0 fine and
> then I go and change my ethernet card... what utility do I run to select
> another hardware profile?  ie, choose X brand as opposed the Y brand that
> was already in it when I installed.
"Hardware profile"???  You'll need to either make sure the
approp. module loads at boot (/etc/conf.modules) or compile support
into the kernel...it's a matter of taste.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: 25 Aug 1999 23:21:04 GMT

Hey Mike.

I recenly build a dual Celeron box using an Abit BP6 board and two Celeron
366.  They have both been running solid at 550, even up against kernel
compiles, all night set@home, etc.  Some other responses suggested you
check out some vendors that offer pretested CPUs.  I did this, and it
worked out for me.. but: Make sure you find out the testing policy of the
vendor.  See what kind of torture they level on the number cruncher before
deeming it stable.  Since you seem hungry for good info sources, check out
comp.periphs.mainboard.abit for info on the board.  There's alot of OC'ing
info flying around there also.  As for vendors that sell pretested CPU's,
you may want to check out www.pricewatch.com and www.sysopt.com for
current pointers to good prices/good companies.

Jim

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will Linux run on a MII?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:27:00 GMT

I,ve been running linux on an MII 233 for about 6 months now with no
problems. Works great with a '586 or PPro kernel.

Bob

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: Re: VESA
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:02:52 GMT

In article <7pn4g1$g7v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Lukasz Trybulec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can i use vesafb with AGP card?

afaik yes. PCI and AGP are pretty compatible because AGP is just an extension
of pci. (On the software-level that is. Don't sue me becuase you tried to force
your $200 AGP vodoo card into a PCI slot :-) )
--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kyle Hargraves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Onboard Ethernet
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:23:56 +0000

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to use the onboard ethernet on the Compaq
Deskpro series.
I believe the chipset is the same on the 590 through the 5133 - I'm using a 590. I've
already
tried the on-board support in 2.2.10. I'll gladly upgrade or downgrade to make this
work - I
just don't want to spend money on going out and buying a card (mainly because I don't
have the
money to spend). The kernel doesn't want to recognize that there is ethernet on the
systemboard.
I'd try and look through manuals, but this is a secondhand machine I managed to
scrounge up,
so I have none. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also - if at all possible, please send replies to my email address, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
as I rarely
have access to newsgroups. Thanks.

Kyle Hargraves

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Fincher)
Subject: Re: UPS for LINUX
Date: 25 Aug 1999 23:30:16 GMT

>I bought a MGE ES2+ from Fry's for $50 and used a Linux driver from
>MGE's web page.  It works.
>

>From fry's?  Where's that?  Is there a URL?

Thanks,
Jeremy

==================================

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unusable space on 13.6GB hard-disk
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:32:13 -0700

make sure 'LBA' mode is being used by the bios.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem recommendations?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:33:46 -0700

Hsiu-Khuern Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    I wonder if anybody has any 56K modem recommendations? I
buy an external modem.  it's worth the extra $5.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: micro-channel
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:34:52 -0700

Jean Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> quick question
> will RH 6.0 install on micro-channel compute like PS2 model 80??????????
yes, it's a compile-time option in 2.2
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ultra Ata
Date: 25 Aug 1999 23:38:39 GMT

MvK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I own a A-Bit BE-6 motherboard and a Western Digital AC310200R 10,2 gb
: harddisk. The motherboard is Ulta-Ata (66mb/s) compatible and my harddisk is
: Ultra-Ata. When i install RedHat Linux 6.0 kernel 2.2 it  won't detect my
: freakin Western Digital. Whats this, ?#@!, linux don't understand udma??
: I could connect my hd to a normal E-IDE port on my motherboard but i'd lose
: half of the potential speed of the hd so thats out of the question!

The current stable kernel does not support the UDMA/66 controller on the
BE6 (the HPT-366) yet, but there is a patch available.  Still, beware
that some people are having problems with WD drives and HPT-366, both in
Linux and elsewhere.  See the following page for more details.

  http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt-366/

-- Chuan-kai Lin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: RealPlayer 5.0 wont work, Netscape 4.51, Slackware 4.0.0
Date: 25 Aug 1999 18:51:26 -0500

On 25 Aug 1999 13:02:47 GMT, Ron Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone help me with setting up RealAudio 5.0/elf?
>
>I've followed the instructions for both plugin setup and helper
>application and neither works.  I know it's not my sound card as I did
>get the old aout 3.0 version working and it played the demo file but I
>found when attempting to use that on broadcast.com that the version was
>too old.  The kernel does have elf support.  I can't even get the player
>to launch itself without netscape.  No error messages either.  And I've
>tried combinations of both plugin and helper setups.  It appears that
>something is missing.
>
>Setup...
>
>Slackware 4.0.0
>KDE desktop
>Netscape 4.51

If this is 2.2 kernel, you need RealPlayerG2:

  http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves

------------------------------

From: "Richard Hornell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Chaintech 5AGM2 locks up durring Install
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:51:51 +1200

I have a Chaintech 5AGM2 with a AMD K6 266 and durring the Instalation
process it completely locks up the machine.

My other equipment is as follows;

AWE 32 PNP
S3 Virge PCI 4MB video
3Dfx 12MB Voodoo 2
Dynalink ISA 56K modem
Realtek 8029 PCI Network card
96Mb Pc100 ram
9GB Seagate HD

I have tried installing Redhat 6, Mandrake both from CD and HD, & Suse 6.1,
all lock up.

------------------------------

From: "Glen Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD K6-2/400?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:50:20 -0700

Hi,

I have three asus P5A boards (ALI V chipsets):
  K62-400, Voodoo3 2000, Win98 - runs just as stable as you'd expect, as
well as on the old Pentium/S3.
  K62-350, S3 Virge, WinNT4.0 - seems OK, crashes less than once a week
(normal for winnt in my experience)
  K62-400, S3, Linux 2.0.37 - rock solid.  Also solid with 2.0.36.

> Out of desperation for more speed for M$ NT 4.0, I went to my local
> bargain geek-shop and bought a Gigabyte motherboard along with AMD K6-
> 2/400 chip.  This is the first time I've bought a non-Intel MB, but
> everyone told me I'd have no probs.
>
> But, I must get BSOD's in NT at least once a day.  And it's stuff that
> specifically mentions the processor.. One of its favorites is complaining
> something about AMD EXCEPTION IRQ1 is LESS_OR_EQUAL .. Not quite sure
> exactly what it means, but it happens all the time.  Other bizarre
> behavior as well.. StarCraft doesn't want to run smoothly, for some
> reason.. Can't figure out if its the vid card to blame on this one, tho
> (Voodoo3/2000)..

Under Win98/Voodoo3 with the drivers that shipped with the card, I had lots
of problems - QuakeIII locked up all the time, random crashes, not good.
The latest drivers from 3DFX fixed me right up.  Win98 has never been more
stable for me.  I would guess the NT drivers are also buggy.  Make sure you
have the latest.  This is 3DFX's first run at making their own boards, so
I'm not too surprised to see a problem or two...

> Anyway, these BSOD's are going to really get on my nerves. I canst stands
> no flakey system!
>
> And now, for the Linux part of this post--  Has anyone had a similar
> experience with AMD chips -- that Windoze would bomb or act bad
> specifically for reasons tied to the AMD chip -- and replace Windoze with
> Linux and experienced 100% hardware-reliable performance?
>
> I bought this AMD chip because so many people swore that it was a good
> bet.  The Gigabyte MB, I was also told, was a great MB..  Trying to make
> my anti-monopoly statement and save a few bucks at the same time.  I
> guess I got what I paid for!

Nah, I'm never going back to Intel until the prices come back out of the
stratosphere.  I've been *vary* happy with my Asus/AMD's !!!  They're dirt
cheap, almost as fast, and I've had no problems.

Glen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 19:45:02 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Benkmann) writes:

> Now, who can tell me how the ALSA drivers could produce better sound?
> MSB

I've got a few ideas.

- They might be using chipset features that the other drivers aren't
  using.

- If the chipset depends in any way on software timing, one could comply
  better.

- The default mixer/EQ settings could be different, and you prefer one
  over the other.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Larry Ozarow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW drive making me crazy..
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:51:43 GMT

Russ Johnson wrote:

> I'm having a really weird time with my JVC XR-W2080 drive. It's listed as
> working with CDRecord, and it does... If I use a CDRW. But only partly. If I
> then try to verify the CD (using X-CDRoast) it fails after a while... If I
> mount the disk, everything appears to be there, and I don't have any
> problems with the CD.
>
> I can't get a CDR to burn properly for anything, but the same image will
> then burn to a CDRW without problems.
>
> When I do a CDRECORD -SCANBUS, I get this from 1.6:
>
> Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
> scsibus0:
>                   0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
>                   1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
>                   2) *
>                   3) *
>                   4) *
>                   5) *
>                   6) *
>                   7) *
>
> This is the "compiled on my system" binary.
>
> If I run the same command with the "pre-compiled" 1.6, or a "compiled on my
> system" 1.8, I get this output:
>
> Cdrecord release 1.8a24 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
> scsibus0:
> /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
> capabilities page.
>                   0) 'BCD 40XH' ' CD-ROM         ' 'U3.1' Removable CD-ROM
>                   1) 'JVC     ' 'XR-W2080        ' '2.06' Removable CD-ROM
>                   2) *
>                   3) *
>                   4) *
>                   5) *
>                   6) *
>                   7) *
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Russ

Omigod, omigod, a fellow sufferer. I have a Hival 2242, which appears to be a
re-badged version of the same machine, and I've had exactly the same symptoms,
same message from cdrecord, same inability to burn cdr's properly, but ok with
r/w. I've been thinking it was my disks, which are el-cheapo hivals, and was
going to experiment with some maxells or imations I have lying around, but your
post makes me think not.

My machine is fairly new and I haven't tried it out with Windows yet. Does it
work with Windows software? And if so which software?

One odd thing I had happen was that I burned a disk, and then cdrecord returned
error messages during the "fixating" phase. I can mount and read the disk
perfectly on my regular drive (an ASUS 36x), but the Hival itself won't
recognize it, nor will an old Goldstar I have on another machine.

Larry

------------------------------

From: "T. Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:19:53 -0400

is it possible to use a win/software modem under linux?

------------------------------

From: "Glen Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory Upgrade
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:19:29 -0700

> We have upgraded Memory from 64MB to 128MB . But the system with free
> and dmesg command is diplating only 64MB. Please let me know how to go
> about the same.

Kernel 2.0.36 and later detect above 64MB (not sure how much, but mine
detects 256MB OK).
I'm sure all 2.2.* kernels will also detect memory properly.

Glen

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FA:  D-Link DE600 Parallel Port Ethernet Adapters
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:38:13 GMT

I have some Linux compatible (please verify with your version) D-Link
DE600 Ethernet Adapters for auction on eBay this week.  One has an
RJ45/10BaseT interface and the other has Thinnet Coax/BNC interface.
Their great for older laptops that don't have PCMCIA slots.

They can be viewed at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150396378

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150394789

Thanks!
Bob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:32:39 +1000
From: Stephen Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewire (IEEE1394) -> VXI

Hi, this question is not Linux hardware specific, but perhaps this group
could help.

We have recently purchased a HP E8491A firewire to VXI controller,
which links a PC via firewire (IEEE1394) to a VXI crate.

   PC                                      VXI rack
+------+
|Linux | --- IEEE1394 ----> |HP E8491A ---> Tek
TVS621                    |
+------+                    |          ---> Device
2                      |

:                           |
                            |          ---> Device
n                      |

We would like to control the VXI rack with the PC running Linux
(currently RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.11).
The Linux firewire interface works fine (thanks Emanuel Pirker +
others).

However, we donot know the HP protocols for controlling the
VXI rack, eg. selecting devices within the rack.

The software supplied with the HP device runs only under win95/NT.
It uses a standard interface control library (SICL), with commands
like:

       dev_controller  = iopen ("vxi");
       dev_1           = iopen ("vxi",24);

other commands are then device specific eg.
       iprint (dev_2,"RESET\n");

Does anyone have any ideas as to what character strings need to be
sent down the firewire cable to cause the HP controller to select
a device in the VXI rack?

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

---
Stephen T. Gibson              |
UV Physics Unit                |
Research School of Physical    | Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Sciences and Engineering    | URL   :
http://rsphysse.anu.edu.au/AMPL/uvphys
Australian National University | Phone : +61 2 6249 2296
Canberra ACT 0200, Australia   | FAX   : +61 2 6249 0390

------------------------------

From: gxu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: High resolution monitors (and Video cards) for Linux
Date: 25 Aug 1999 17:35:40 PDT

Hi there, I finally convinced my boss to purchase a PC to run
a Linux server for our group. He also said he would like the
server to run some of our graphical analysis softwares so that
he wanted it to have a large monitor with high resolution.
Here we are not talking about 21" monitors with 1600x1200
resolution. He wanted monitors that can display four figures of 1600x1200
together (basicly, 3200x2400!!!). I personally haven't heard
of any monitors working at that resolution, not any video cards either.
Does anyone know of places selling such kind of monitors? Also,
does any video card support such high resolutions? I only had experience
with 1600x1200, not higher. Also, if that is not possible, I will
gladly stay with 21" and 1600x1200. I'd appreciate any suggestion of a good
video card working at that range. I personally prefer Matrox Millanium II AGP.
I assume that all modern video card will be able to support 1600x1200
resolution as long as it has enough video memory, is this true? Thanks in
advance.

-G. Xu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 25 Aug 1999 19:51:12 -0400

"zerocool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Alas, I just dropped 250 bucks for an All-in-wonder 128 card, and I'm
> SOL in regards to X support.  I just downloaded the latest demo of
> Accelerated X, and I'm hoping that might work, I may have to drop down
> another 100 bucks to buy that IF it works.  But the neat features of
> this card will probably never be supported under X

I will never understand why someone will buy a new card, and only after
getting it home decide to find out if there is driver support available.

I recently upgraded my video card, and the _FIRST_ thing I did was
download the XFree86 compatibility list from their web site.  I braught
the list into the store and rejected a-priori any chipset not on the
list.

The result is that the new card (based on Riva-TNT, in case anybody
cares) works great, and no special effort was required to make it work.

If I didn't do that, I would probably have ended up with a Rage-120 or
Voodoo-whatever card, and I'd be scrambling to try and find somebody on
the net with a driver.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Kohler)
Subject: Re: Maximum partition size?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 22:45:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Joseph Henle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Im new to Linux. Just purchased Red Hat 6.0 and wants to build a system with
> two 25 GB drives. What is the maximum size partition Linux supports?

The max size is 2 TB. Not a problem for your two drives.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: "WEICHEH KOH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! Promise Ultra66 anybody
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:57:45 -0500

I just bought a Gateway Performance 500 which came with Promise Ultra66 disk
controller card. I'm now stuck as the RedHat Linux 6.0 installation program
could not find my 20GB Quantum Fireball Plus KX hard disk.

I did call RedHat installation support, but the answer was not that
favorable (the support guy told me to take out the Ultra66 card and
re-connect my hard disk back to the onboard IDE, what a waste!)

I'm new to Linux and wish someone could please help me into the Linux world!

Thank you.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]