From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with big (60G) drive under Linux
Date: 22 Jun 2000 19:35:02 -0400

I'm running Redhat 6.1, kernel 2.2.14.

I'm having trouble:
1. getting linux to recognize a 60G Maxtor IDE drive
2. getting linux to format it.

1. I tried in normal mode.  The bios didn't get the size right - oh well.
   But linux fdisk didn't get it either.  Ok, I set to LBA

2. Formatting a partion of size 60G gives me all kinds of I/O errors.
   Fomatting smaller partitions (eg., 1G) seem ok.  Is there some kind
   of limit.

3. Finally, what is the filesize limit on Redhat 6.1?  Is is 2G.  If so,
   what version has greater file sizes?

Thanks,
    Richard
Encl: *some* of the errors I got
================================
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/63, sector=63923642
ide0: reset: success
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/63, sector=63923642
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 63923642

ETC ETC!!!

------------------------------

From: John Gluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dumping Windows
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:11:25 GMT

the easiest tthing to do is probably to change the partition type of your
/dev/hda drive to linux ext2 (think it's type 82)
then make a file system on it. Create a mount point under your /
directory and edit your /etc/fstab for the changes.

What I did when I added a drivee was simply copy a directory structure
that used a lot of space to the new drive.
Then recusively emptied the original direcory tree edit /etc/fstab so the
new drive would use the now empty directory as a mount point.
Unmonted the new drive and remounted it (manually) under the mount point.
Didn't even need to reboot (beats the heck outta windows don't it) You
only need to reboot to check out your mounts but I think there's a way
you can get mount to use fstab without a reboot (I just can't remember
how)

Kevin Clark wrote:

> Here is my problem,
>
> I have linux installed on my slave hard drive hdb (swap, boot, root)
> Windows is installed on my master hard drive hda
> Lilo is installed on MBR on hda
>
> I want to get rid of windows and make hda a linux drive and still be
> able to boot.
>
> What are the steps to get this done and what call the new mount? /usr?
> Even tho /usr exists on hdb

John Gluck  (Passport Kernel Design Group)

(613) 765-8392  ESN 395-8392

Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed here are strictly my own
and do not reflect any official position of Nortel Networks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IDE- SMP troubles
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:32:12 GMT

I have a pretty new IBM 20G drive, ATA-66, and an Abit BP6 motherboard
(Dual Celerons).

For the life of me I can't get smp working with my ide drive.
Depending on which kernel version I use, I get mildly different results.
Normally it gets an error about a null dereference and oops's out.

Finally I tried using the 2.2.16 kernel with and without the Unified
ide patch, and now it just reboots when it comes time to setup the hard
drive.

I'd appreciate any help if someone can clue me in to what is wrong, or
any steps I should take to fix it.

booting into non smp mode works just great.

Or if someone has a similar configuration, could you clue me in.

Thanks,
Andy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Richard Petty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ???
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:54:46 GMT

Any of them, really.

I just installed TurboLinux (CD came free with a NIC) on a 486 that I'm
going to route and web serve with, too, and the "server" style install
took 170-megabytes.

--Richard

--
Spam deterent: Remove the "BOGUS" part for a correct address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DDS2, stinit and device naming scheme
Date: Thr, 22 Jun 2000 05:09:35 GMT

I just acquired a Seagate Peregrine CTD8000R-S DDS2 4mm tape drive
(detected as an Archive Python 00095-001 by dip switch setting)
and after going through the stinit docs and the st(4) manpage I'm
still confused about the Linux tape device naming scheme:

- which device enables compression and which is for DDS or DDS2 tapes?
- Any ways of getting more than 8 devices per drive (4 rewind + 4
  norewind)? Is it possible to have fixed/variable blocksize,
  nocompression/compression for *each* of the densities (DDS, DDS-2),
  ie, a total of 16 devices, counting the norewind devices?
- Why is it that if I do 'mt -f /dev/nst0a status' twice in a row
  mt reports a different density for the tape?

[root@jezebel]# mt -f /dev/nst0a stat
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x24 (DDS-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

[root@jezebel]# mt -f /dev/nst0a stat
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

ugh?

Here's my setup (RH­6.2 with kernel 2.3.99.pre9):

I have the st driver as a module and I initialize with stinit
by having the following line in conf.modules:

post-install st /sbin/stinit

I created the st devices as per the man st(4).

/etc/stinit.def:

manufacturer=ARCHIVE model = "Python 00095-001" {
scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
mode1 blocksize=0    compression=0 density=0x13
mode2 blocksize=1024 compression=0 density=0x13
mode3 blocksize=0    compression=1 density=0x24
mode4 blocksize=1024 compression=1 density=0x24 }

If I run stinit manually with verbosity, here's what I get:

[root@jezebel]# /sbin/stinit -v -v
Trying to open database 'stinit.def'.
Trying to open database '/etc/stinit.def'.
Open succeeded.

stinit, processing tape 0
Mode 0, name '/dev/nst0'
Mode 1, name '/dev/nst0l'
Mode 2, name '/dev/nst0m'
Mode 3, name '/dev/nst0a'
The manufacturer is 'ARCHIVE', product is 'Python 00095-001', and
revision '5.ac'.
Mode 1 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=0    compression=0 density=0x13
Mode 2 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=1024 compression=0 density=0x13
Mode 3 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=0    compression=1 density=0x24
Mode 4 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=1024 compression=1 density=0x24

TIA,
jf
--
"You are born naked, wet and hungry. Then it gets worse" -Woto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Slackware7/EthernetCard
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:08:07 GMT

Dances With Crows ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
<snip>
> ...except I don't have Slack on this machine!  SuSE, RedHat, FreeBSD, and
> soon Debian, maybe Slack later.  It's just somewhat difficult to run more
> than one distro (or OS) at a time on one machine.

Only as difficult as installing and using VMWare. :-)

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = Justin Willoughby   =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = I use SlackWare!!   =

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP CD Writer 7500 & cdrecord-1.8 ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:45:27 GMT

Howdy,

 I've got an HP 7500 cdrw working with xcdroast 0.96ex.
 One problem: If I try to erace the cdrw with ``cdrecord blank=all''
 I get the following message...
   scsidev:   'yamaha'
   devname: 'yamaha'
   scsibus:   -2 target: -2 lun: -2.
 ``cdrecord -scanbus'' shows the drive as...
   0,0,0    0)  'HP             ' 'CD-Writer+ 7500 ' '1.0a' Removable CD-ROM.
 I am able to erase the cdrw with Adaptec's erase cdrw utility in Win98.
 Any Ideas?

Thanx in advance,
Rogo

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More 3C509 problems, confused!?!
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:47:12 GMT

I've read the posts here on 3C509 and they all seem to revolve around
loadable modules.  I'm confused.  Recent kernels offer support for this
card compiled directly into the kernel, or as a module.  (Why would
anyone install a NIC as a module?)  Once PNP has been disabled on the
card, why would there be any problems?

I'm almost certain I've run this card before without any configuration
on my part, but I can't get it to work on my latest box which is
dual-homed.  The other card is a 3C905B, both cards' drivers are
compiled into the kernel.  Only the 3C905B (eth0) loads at boot
however.  The 3C509 (eth1) "fails to initialize".  I tried setting
parameters via Linuxconf, but nothing seems to work.  The parameters for
this card are IRQ 10/0x300 and there are no conflicts.  What am I
missing?

------------------------------

From: Cory Rauch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Hardware Resource
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:50:23 GMT

The following is a great Linux Hardware resource site. It covers topics
like device drivers, file-system, hardware compatibilty, and more.
Please check it out.

http://www.osfaq.com

------------------------------

From: Michael Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Water cooling system
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:23:34 GMT

Daniel Haude wrote:

>   Michael Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>
> | A pretty obsolete processor you have there, a 386 or 486 maybe? My AMD
> | K6-3 400 draws 12.4 A @ 2.4 V so the generated heat amounts to approx.
> | 30 Watts (full load of course). Enough to require one of the better
> | heatsink/fan combos and a perceptible contribution to the room
> | temperature.
>
> As out of touch as I certainly am with processor technology, 30 watts will
> not do anything perceptible to the temperature of an average room.

Ok, it all depends on the room and setup. A computer system dissipates
more than 30W anyway, most of it will be contributed by the monitor
usually.
Back in school days a buddy of mine used to heat his small room with a
100W light bulb by 2 or 3 degrees (celsius). Took a few hours though.
Serious server rooms usually need air conditioning...
So in the end it probably depends on how you define 'perceptible'.

Have fun,
Michael

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Add drive, rearrange mounts?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:07:47 -0500

Flacco wrote:

> I installed Linux with my SCSI JAZ drive powered down, so during the
> installation it was not accounted for.  Now, if I start Linux with the
> JAZ drive on, I'm unable to run Linux.
>
> I am able to start it with the root=/dev/sdd2 (root is /dev/sdc2 by
> default), but basically any mappings to the original partition are now
> incorrect.
>
> Someone has suggested I make the JAZ SCSI ID greater than the Linux hard
> drive SCSI ID, but I don't think this will help since they are on
> different controllers.
>
> Is there *any* way around this without reinstalling Linux?  I have
> several days' setup invested in my current installation.

Boot up linux, then edit /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab to reflect
the partition number change.  Re-run lilo to write the changes to
the boot record.  Then run "rdev" (see "man rdev" for details) to
change the hard-coded "/" partition and swap partition locations
in your kernel image.  When you reboot after this it should work
the way you expect.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:38:09 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Michael V. Ferranti would say:
>"Eric W Braeden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:
>
>>By the time was are all running 2+ GHz machines
>>we might all be using liquid cooling.
>
>I'm just hoping we don't go back to the point where we need
>industrial air conditioning for room-sized computers, or need to hire
>technicians to work on our home computers, pay out the nose for
>insurance in case of cooling system spills, failures, etc...  I'd
>rather parallel process alot slower and cooler, than have a coolant
>dipstick poking out of the cabinet.

The notion of needing liquid cooling outside of a _seriously_
heavy-duty computing environment just sounds Very Silly.

What's next?  A 4GHz environment where you need to use liquid sodium
to pull the heat out?

"Oops, Mom, the cooling system sprung a leak, and the house blew up."

This is an argument in favor of looking to one or another of the
"cool-running" CPUs like those from Transmeta.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
One last point about metaphor, poetry, etc.  As an example to illustrate

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with big (60G) drive under Linux
Date: 23 Jun 2000 01:22:39 GMT

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-11.html

> 3. Finally, what is the filesize limit on Redhat 6.1?  Is is 2G.  If so,
>    what version has greater file sizes?

distribution is irrelevant: kernel and libc are what counts.
I doubt 2.2's do or ever will have >2G file support, which is
just fine since they're obsolete old crap.  2.3 and 2.4 have
been faster and (most kernels) more stable, and more featureful.

------------------------------

From: peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.laptop
Subject: I just got my laptop and I want to install Linux, now what ???
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:01:31 -0400

Hello,

I just bought a used compaq presario 1210.  It's a p150, with an
upgraded 6 gig hd.  I want to install linux and maybe even a 98/linux
dual boot.

Will I have any problems installing linux on this laptop ?

How hard is it to do a dual boot?

peter

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.laptop
Date: 22 Jun 2000 21:02:49 -0500

>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:01:31 -0400,
>> peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hello, I just bought a used compaq presario 1210.  It's
> a p150, with an upgraded 6 gig hd.  I want to install
> linux and maybe even a 98/linux dual boot.

Have a look at:

    http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

There's at least 1 entry for your machine.

> Will I have any problems installing linux on this laptop
> ?

Nah :-)

> How hard is it to do a dual boot?

You mention win98 above so I'd suggest LILO as the
simplest option.  There should be no problems.

Install Windows first in one partition and use the rest
for linux.

hth
"Trying is the first step towards failure"
                                           Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Help on motherboard decision
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:05:58 -0400

> I have a Supermicro dual mb...absolutely rock solid with w2k and twin
> P111-600's. Definitely worth a look.

...but how is it with Linux?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: Weird problem with TX97 temperature sensor
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (boff)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:05:22 GMT

$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk (Nix) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>[Crossposted to c.o.l.h just in case it's something weird to do with
> Linux. I can't imagine what it could be, but I live in hope. If it's
> Linux, I *know* I can fix it. If it's hardware, not so likely :( ]

I think it's lm_sensors.

>Linux's lm-sensors program indicates that the sensor on the mobo,
>whatever it is, can be treated as an LM78 or an LM75:

>: lm78-j-isa-0290
>: temp:     +39 C     (limit = +60 C,  hysteresis = +50 C)
>: lm75-i2c-0-49
>: temp:       58.5 C (limit:   60.0 C, hysteresis:   50.0 C)

I installed this today (so I'm way short of being an expert) but it's all
fresh in my memory. I think the problem here is that it's picking your
sensors up from two different directions - allow me to quote
sensors-detect:

> I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules.
> Sometimes, a chip is available both through the ISA bus and an I2C bus.
> ISA bus access is faster, but you need to load an additional driver
> module for it. If you have the choice, do you want to use the ISA bus
> or the I2C/SMBus (ISA/smbus)?

I'd guess that if you said smbus to this, you'd stop getting the LM75
readings.

An alternate method to try is to disable the reading of that sensor in
the sensors.conf file. Under your "chip lm75-*" section, try using a
"ignore temp" statement, although I have no idea whether this will just
format the sensors command or actually affect the alarms. man
conf.sensors seems to indicate it'll throw out potentially bad readings.

I have no clue as to the rest of your problems, sorry. Still having my own
problems, I'm apparantly using the beta code for the as99127f-i2c-0-2d
chipset. ASUS still need to provide the specs...but that's for a separate
post. :)

>  --- David Jacoby and Greg Andrews in the Monastery

Hail, brother monk...

Boff

------------------------------

From: Cliff Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Forcing ne2K PCI cards onto an interrupt?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:07:27 -0500

  Hi,

  I have 2 ne2K PCI cards in my system that both get assigned to IRQ17.  This
should work, but for some reason doesn't (lost interrupts on one of the
interfaces).  Both cards work under Windoze assigned to IRQ10 (oh the shame,
something Winders can do that Linux can't).  At one time one card got assigned
to IRQ17 and the other to IRQ18 and all was happy.  I'm not sure what in the
configuration changed between when they got assigned the different interrupts
and now, as I don't think any hardware has changed.

  So, is there any way I can force the assignement of interrupts?  The BIOS
does not allow specification of PCI interrupts, only assignment to plug and
pray and "ISA interrupts", and I don't think BIOS's deal with upper APIC
interrupts anyway.

  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff