Linux-Hardware Digest #113, Volume #11           Fri, 27 Aug 99 16:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  L'Onda ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  2 problems ("Michael Reep")
  Re: Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6 ("Tony Platt")
  Re: Which printer should I buy? (David A. Rogers)
  One more question ("Michael Reep")
  Backing up our RH5.2 server (Peter Polman)
  Creative Labs Riva TNT2 ("Daniel T Pasher")
  Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague (Michel Catudal)
  KDS avitron AV-7T monitor not working in redhat ("Al A.")
  PCMCIA ("Lonny Selinger")
  Adaptec RAIDport Card (Bill Bannan)
  Setup Problem - YAMAHA DS-XG Sound Card and RH 6.0 Linux release ("Kristaps Licis")
  Re: Flashpath and Linux? ("J. David Eisenberg")
  Re: Support for SB PCI128 on Redhat6.0 (Stuart Hall)
  Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Matrox G400 (Roger Kemp)
  Re: ide reset??? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Linux embedded i386 computer? (Wim Lewis)
  Re: 3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM... (LhD Administrator)
  iomega SCSI controller usable? (Scott Krehbiel)
  Print filter help - Caldera 2.2 (Dan Warren)
  cheap modem! (Dan Chirica)
  Re: Dual processor and AMD (Alain BURET)
  ASUS V3800 Ultra TNT2 (Alain BURET)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: L'Onda
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:17:47 GMT

Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th September 1999 we are making L'Onda
(the Wave), a meeting of chatters and surfers.

In Treviglio (Bergamo-Italy) in the sports dome
with free entrance you'll find music, role games, surfing
and especially the chance to give an appointment to your
friends and look them finally in the eyes :-)

More info (on how to get there too) at
http://raduno.mmguest.com/index1.htm

We are waiting for you
Greetings to all comp.os.linux.hardware

L'Onda staff [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael Reep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 problems
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:47:53 -0500

First problem. I'm very new at linux so cut me some slack
1. I have a trident 9660 card (don't know what chipset or ramdac) and when I
installed Redhat6.0 and it probes for my card, it always returns 8pp (?) at
640x480. It's ok, but I'd rather have my display at 800x600 and I can't seem
to get it to do that. it works fine in windows at 800x600.

2. I have a Modem Blaster DI5630 (If anyone else has one of these please
help me) on COM3 (It's not a winmodem (it's got a rockwell chipset)). I
can't even get the dang thing to initialize in linux in Usernet. But minicom
seems to be able to pick it up. I"m wondering if the initialize string is
bad or something.

Thanks very much
Mike

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Adaptec 78xx Hardware RAID and RH6
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:32:58 +1000

Redhat states that same thing for Compaq raid controllers and others (IBM
comes to mind)

But if you sniff a little further, you find that if you fiddle you can get
this type of setup to work. (I am not saying your setup will work
sorry --havn't tried that config-- ) but someone somewhere is probably
writing a driver right now for it....if there isn't one already made <grin>

I only had to wait a short time before someone wrote a driver for my raid
controllers....YES !!!!

Now I am a happy chappy.....

My advice is search the net with every tool you can find.......you never
know what you will find

Tony Platt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David A. Rogers)
Subject: Re: Which printer should I buy?
Date: 27 Aug 1999 15:06:47 GMT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:32:55 +0200, Ernst de Haan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
speaketh saying:
>Hi Linux nerds!
>
>I'm about to decide on which inkjet printer I will buy. Does any of you
>have any advice on this issue? I'd should work very well with Linux (and
>preferably also with FreeBSD). Any1 know a site on this issue?
>
>I know the HP DeskJet 895CXi is a very fast high-quality inkjet printer
>that works fine with inferior operating systems like Win 0.95 and Win
>0.98 :-) but i don't know how well it performs under Linux.

Check the how to on hardware compatibility at www.linux.org.  Press the
support button then choose the howto link.

Cheers,
dar

------------------------------

From: "Michael Reep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: One more question
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:59:14 -0500

When I installed redhat6.0 I decided just to allocate 500 megs of my hard
drive to it (since I tried to install it on another machine and thought the
cd was corrupted). Now I need to reinstall it, but I need to allocate more
memory to that partition. I have lilo running the dual boot (Win98 and
RH6.0) and I could've SWORN I saw an option in win98 to make another
partition using some of my memory on C: but I can't find it again. If I was
just dreaming, is there a way to take some memory out of C: and make another
partition without having to format c:? (then I'll use disk druid to change
the format of the parition to linux native)
thanks much
mike

------------------------------

From: Peter Polman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Backing up our RH5.2 server
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:45:43 -0700

Here at our store we have a RH5.2 box which has been set up as a paging
terminal. Currently there is no backup hardware or software present on
the system. Can anyone suggest a good hardware/software solution so that
a complete backup could be performed.
Also, how would one proceed to backup the unit 100 % without taking it
down or at worst just performing a reboot ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel T Pasher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Labs Riva TNT2
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:37:37 -0400

I've got one of those bloody Rage 128 cards, so I'm trading it in for
something else.  Does anyone know if the Creative Labs Riva TNT2 cards are
supported by the Riva 128 server (xfree86).  I'm using RH6.

Daniel.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Avoid ATI Graphics like the plague
Date: 27 Aug 1999 11:52:21 -0500

Chad wrote:

> I agree with your decree though, AVOID ATI AT ALL COST (this pretty much
> means avoide Dell and Gateway since they use them almost exclusively, but
> you should do that anyhow since Dell/Gateway suck)

Actually my Gateway 2000 at work has a SVIRGE 2M card which works
well under Linux. I double boot Winblows 98 and Linux on my PC
at work without a problem. I ended up buying a SVIRGE 4M for home
for $24 at A2Z (Check my web site store page for the address).

I would not encourage anyone to use Gateway but not because of the
video card which can be good depending on what you get.

I tried to run MPLABC which is a dos program that uses Borland's
real time driver. It would not run under winblows 98 so I installed
Win 95 on a different partition, it still would not run so I installed
MS Dos 6.22 then PC Dos 7.0 which both would reboot the machine after
I would try run the compiler. It seems like it has a part of the lower
640k missing with no way in the bios to put it back. This is only true
for the PCs that came out since less than 2 years ago. I have tested
older Gateway PCs which have no such problem. Those PCs are all designed
to work with winblows.

When you think Gateway think WinPC. Not to say that they won't work
with Linux but they aren't likely to work at all with dos that need
extended dos features.

I've run that compiler on clones without any problem. I had to throw
away
the compiler ($700) and buy the CCS Compiler which works under winblows
98.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: "Al A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDS avitron AV-7T monitor not working in redhat
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:09:33 GMT

cant get this monitor working in X-Window.  i run "setup" in redhat 6.0 and
my monitor isnt listed.    So i choose custom and fill out the frequencies.

this monitor operates at horizontal frquencies between 30KHz and 7KHz and
vertical frequencies between 40Hz and 120Hz.

however in SETUP.  the closest thing listed is 50 and 100 for vertical
frequencies.  When i run X-Window my screen is messed up so this isnt
working.

anyone have this monitor workingin linux?

al

------------------------------

From: "Lonny Selinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:32:02 -0600

  Hello,
I have got RH 6.0 installed on my lap top and since I have done the install
I  cannot get pcmcia support to work. Originally, I used a boot.img and a
supp.img to do an FTP install over my pcmcia card (Link Sys) but after I got
the install finished my computer would freeze up while trying to start
pcmcia services. I went in and removed all the packages I could find
regarding pcmcia and it booted fine. I recently installed the kernel-pcmcia
RPM for my Kernel ( 2.2.5-15 ) and it shows pcmcia  [  ok  ]  when it boots
up but it still will not allow acces to the card. I do not even get a link
light when I patch into my hub. Are there any packages I am missing or is
there some way of manually setting up my ethernet card under 6.0. I know it
works based on the way I did my initail set up...but for some reason now, it
does not. I read thet I need to use tulip as the module but when I try to
set it up and run lsmod, it doesn't show up. Any suggestions/ideas/solutions
would be greatly appreciated.

-Lonny

------------------------------

From: Bill Bannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec RAIDport Card
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:12:28 -0400

   Apparently this card is not supported for Linux. We have systems
 that we wish to build a Beowulf Cluster with, all of them have this
 card. Can anyone tell me whether or not support for this card is in
 the works?

Bill Bannan
 Gloucester Ma

------------------------------

From: "Kristaps Licis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setup Problem - YAMAHA DS-XG Sound Card and RH 6.0 Linux release
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:14:14 -0400

Could anybody hint how to setupt YAMAHA DS-XG Sound Card from within RedHat
6.0 Linux [the card is fully functional under the other OS on the system -
Windows 98]? My understanding is that this sound-card does not appear on the
RedHat 6.0 "soundconfig" list as it has been probably marketed later than
the 6.0 RH release date. Can I find a modular driver for this card
somewhere? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advence!

Kristaps

--
Kristaps Licis
Finance Ph.D. Student - Isenberg School of Management

------------------------------

From: "J. David Eisenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Flashpath and Linux?
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Date: 27 Aug 1999 18:58:50 GMT

In rec.photo.digital Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Drat, drat, and drat.  The reverse engineering is the hard part...
: thanks for the link, though.
: --
: Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
: Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
: New Mexico State University          http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer

I talked on the phone with someone at Flashpath (or at least the
company in charge of the specs/firmware) and they said they were
working on Linux drivers to be available near the end of the
year.

Someone else may want to call up independently and confirm...
--
J. David Eisenberg    http://www.best.com/~nessus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Hall)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Support for SB PCI128 on Redhat6.0
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:21:07 GMT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:07:26 GMT, "HillBoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> so kindly
spent valuable time writing:

>I have the same card. I ended up buying the Opensound drivers
>(www.opensound.com) for $20.  RH 6.0 incorrectly tries to set this card up
>as an Ensoniq 64.

You probably got ripped of for your $20 then.  My PCI 128 works
*perfectly* with the ES1370 kernel module.  I am told that my
alternative if this didn't work was the ES1371.  Either way, the OSS
sound drivers are a ripoff for this sound card.

>Ganesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed Redhat 6.0 on my machine with sound card from Creative
>> Labs -
>> SB PCI128. However I did not find any info in the docs, on how to enable
>>
>> sound on my machine.
>>
>> Is there a driver that I need to download from some place ?
>> Are ther options under linuxconf, kdemenus, gnome utilities that I
>> should be looking for ?
>> Is there any command line utlities that I should know about ?
>>
>> Any help is appreciated
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ganesh - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----
Stuart Hall
Cheshire, Connecticut, USA
* return address:  f p r i n t f @ i n a m e . c o m *
or

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to setup SoundBlaster 64 PCI PnP
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:11:39 +0200

Liddleddy Morris wrote:
> Does Linux support PCI sound?

Yes, the SoundBlaster PCI 64 works fine with the drivers included in
kernel 2.2 and even better with the ALSA drivers.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Kemp)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox G400
Date: 27 Aug 1999 16:33:23 GMT

Oskar Berggren ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I'm thinking about a new Matrox G400 card. What I wonder is
: how well it is supported by X under Linux. Does the the multi monitor
: feature work? What about TV-out? Anything else that needs to be taken
: into consideration?
:

I can't comment on the multi-monitor feature, but I am currently using
a G400 on my RH6.0 system.  You will need XFree86 version 3.3.4 or
later.  Older versions don't recognize the card.  Unfortunately, XFree
only gives me the option of specifying up to 16MB of video RAM, but my
card has 32MB.  I'm hoping that subsequent versions of XFree will allow
for this.

--

Roger Kemp

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ide reset???
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:14:40 +0200

Josef Radinger wrote:
> my system is a p120 with 2.0.35 kernel.
> would an upgrade help?
>
> Aug 24 16:32:05 oehlux kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Aug 24 16:32:06 oehlux kernel: ide0: reset: success

Upgrading your kernel or distribution will not help, this is a hardware
problem with your HD. It might be the controller, if you are lucky it
might even be the IDE cable, but most likely you will need to replace
your HD.

regards Henrik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wim Lewis)
Crossposted-To: comp.robotics.misc
Subject: Re: Linux embedded i386 computer?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:52:37 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Eric Wampner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I am looking for a i386/i486 based embedded computer for Linux,

I was looking for something similar just recently (with the added
requirement of having a PC/104 compatible connector). I'd suggest
browsing the following websites:

www.advantech-usa.com
www.zfmicro.comm
www.t-systems.com  (advertise linux preloaded)
www.tri-m.com  (many links to other suppliers)
www.ampro.com
www.emacinc.com

One of these boards will cost between $150 and $300, probably.

(Another option would be to get a motherboard out of an old 486 PC.
It'd be bigger and probably have more power draw, but on the other
hand it would be cheap or free.)

--
        Wim Lewis - [EMAIL PROTECTED], also hhhh.org - Seattle, WA, USA

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM Ethernet Card PROBLEM...
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:31:05 GMT

Kristaps Licis wrote:
> I would greatly appreciate any insights as to possible solutions to the
> following problem: RedHat 6.0 installation would not recognize the
EtherLink
> ethernet card [model - 3C905C or "TORNADO" according to Vertex

Could you provide messages and better description of what happens when you
try to load the module manually?
Also, have you tried cold-booting from Win98 into Linux, just to make sure?

I assume you've already seen Donald Becker's Vortex/Boomerang/Tornado page
and the relevant mailing list archives. (at
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html)

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:00:13 -0700
From: Scott Krehbiel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: iomega SCSI controller usable?

Hi All,

I need to be able to run Linux from a SCSI hard
disk, so I can disable my IDE controller and
switch over to Linux.  There's already a lot
of mess set up on my IDE drives, and I don't
want to take a chance on trashing all that
if I don't do the boot selector thing correctly.

so here's my question:  Can I control a SCSI hard disk
through my Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI card?  I know that
theoretically all SCSI is SCSI and should work.
However, I've had problems reading a SCSI CD-Rom
drive through that controller.  System complained
that it's non-ATAPI compatible.

I know I should just buy an Adaptec and use that,
and eventually I plan to.

If I set up SCSI disks to use the Iomega controller,
then switch to the Adaptec, will I hit even bigger
problems?

thanks
Scott Krehbiel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

to respond via email remove all of the letter h from my address
(spam control)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:43:44 -0400
From: Dan Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Print filter help - Caldera 2.2

I have an HP Deskjet 880c and using Ghostscript 5.50 with the HP 880
patch have successfull been able to print postscript from the command
line.  However, text comes "stair stepped".  Does anyone know how to fix
the stair stepping?  Is there a print filter that I could use to
distinguish between text and postscript that would fix my stair stepping
also?  This is a caldera 2.2 machine.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Warren

From: Dan Chirica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cheap modem!
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:05:35 -0700

        Hi,

        Does somebody know a place where I can buy a cheap modem (even
used) compatible with Linux (RH 5.2). I don't want anything fancy a 28.8
Kbs is good enough, or has one for sale.

        Thank you,
        Dan

------------------------------

From: Alain BURET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual processor and AMD
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:50:45 +0200

Do you know a manufacturer of such stuffs ?

Alain BURET

From: Alain BURET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS V3800 Ultra TNT2
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:54:54 +0200

Does someone successfully experienced the ASUS V3800 TNT2 Ultra ?
I'm interested in the video capture feature of this board.

Alain BURET
Belgium