Linux-Hardware Digest #129, Volume #11           Sun, 29 Aug 99 17:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  Adaptec 1510 problem (Valette =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean=2DS=E9bastien?=)
  SoundBlaster Live Value and RealPlayer G2
  Re: ATI Rage 128 driver? (LhD Administrator)
  Setting up ATI Rage Fury with SVGATextMode (Didier Wiroth)
  Re: Webserver specs needed...thanks (Nick Kew)
  Re: Dual Celeron (Vincent Fox)
  Re: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ? (Adrian Hands)
  help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers ("DMFiend")
  Re: AMD Lance Ethernet controller question? (LhD Administrator)
  Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England (colin)
  Re: Anyone got a Umax Astra 1220S working? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: 3D Banshee Video Card Problem...  help? ("Steve Waldo")
  Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board ("¦Ñ»æ")
  Attotech SCSI card Help
  Re: Please recommend a SILENT 10/100 Ethernet hub (Michael Meissner)
  SAmba PDF ("Larry Rivera")
  trouble installing SCSI AHA-2930 card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board (Paul Sherwin)
  Re: Riva TNT (Michael Meissner)
  Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Matrox G400 (Mark Vojkovich)
  qualitylinks, need something, find something (JMV Nederhof)
  Re: 16 or higher bpp in SiS6326?? (Ed Wilts)
  Re: memorex crw-1622 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  m105 mustek handheld scanner under Kernel 2.2.x (Heinz Liesenfeld)
  Re: Setting up ATI Rage Fury with SVGATextMode (Curtis Newton)
  Re: Buying new Linux Box; any hardware recommendations? (Rod Roark)
  Star LaserPrinter DX8 (Fulko van Westrenen)

From: Valette =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean=2DS=E9bastien?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec 1510 problem
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:31:25 +0200

My adaptec 1510 card isn't detected by isapnp .
Can Anybody post the right isapnp.conf entry for this board.
--

Jean-Sébastien Valette
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SoundBlaster Live Value and RealPlayer G2
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:31:00 GMT

I have changed my sound card from a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold to a
SoundBlaster Live Value card and RealPlayer G2 alpha for Linux
crashes. Please note that the sound card is working as I have
installed the drivers and can use apps like KMP3 etc and they
work fine.

Configuration details :

        RedHat 6.0 Linux 2.2.10 Kernel
        Kernel sound support configured as instructed by Creative
        Sound driver
        http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/
        emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz (120KB) Start

RealPlayer makes connection Ok buffers data Ok starts to
play sound (I think) then crash.

kernel messages :

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
0000001c
current->tss.cr3 = 06507000, %cr3 = 06507000
*pde = 00000000 Aug 21 17:40:39
Oops: 0000 Aug 21 17:40:39 rolf kernel: CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[vfat:vfat_put_super+-76422/1220]
EFLAGS: 00010202
eax: 00000000 ebx: c8048000 ecx: 00000000 edx: c567c020
esi: c567c020 edi: 00000000
ebp: c6489f30 esp: c6489f20
ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
Process realplay (pid: 757, process nr: 50, stackpage=c6489000)
Stack: 0000001d
0000c1a0 c5939b2c 00000000 00000000 c012c29f c567c020 00000000
c5999f94 0000001e
c5999f98 0000003d 00000145 0000001d c6488000 00000000
00000000 00000000
c012c776 0000001e c6489fa8 c6489fa4 c6488000 bfffdfb0
Call Trace: [do_select+307/532]
[sys_select+1014/1372] [system_call+52/56] [startup_32+43/286]
Code: 8b 40 1c 83 c0 4c 85 ff 74 0f 85 c0 74 0b 57 50 56 e8 30 ea

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 driver?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:31:00 GMT

Erik Couture wrote:
> now.. is there a workaround? any particular ver. of linux to look at?

Take a look at
http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Didier Wiroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Setting up ATI Rage Fury with SVGATextMode
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:20:22 +0200

Hey,

Can someone help me to setup the RAGE Fury 32mb graphic adapter(with
IIYAMA "Vision Master Pro 502" as Monitor)for the
/etc/TextMode file.

Here are some with technical infos:
http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/products/pc/rage_fury/index.html

The ati rage fury manual page:
http://support.atitech.com/manual_pdf/rage128.pdf

Thanks a lot for any reply
Didier
Luxembourg - EUROPE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Webserver specs needed...thanks
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:58:12 +0000

> Pent 166 with 256 megs RAM (going to upgrade to 1gig), 1 ultra wide SCSI
> HD for OS, and a RAID5 config. with 3 10Krpm Seagate Cheetah HD's.

When you say "very high traffic"???

There are servers out there doing 8Gb per month on 32Mb RAM and IDE disc,
with a lot of heavy-duty CGI - and (subjectively) instant response times.
Big virtual-hosting companies can put hundreds of small domains on 128Mb.
The Internet connection is of course the bottleneck.

Gigabytes are for NT.  You're upgrading out of that.  I'd say your present
hardware looks quite enviable, until and unless experience says otherwise.

(the SGI terabyte server I set up back in '95 had IIRC 192Mb - but it had
some heavy backend processing, too)

--
Nick Kew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox)
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: 29 Aug 1999 18:02:38 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mark & Janeane Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>And then what does the dealer do with the chips that fail the
>overclocking and are now not really new?

Several of them sell them cheaply, and tell you that they
are in fact only good for their rated 366 or whatever.
Seems very fair. I don't know what you mean by "not really new".
This is not a Porsche that's been driven around by someone
for a year. A CPU either works or it doesn't. They are of
course often tested at the factory, and some dealers test
them again when they pass through their hands. So what?

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

------------------------------

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:18:13 -0400

The XF86_SVGA at http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html is for
the XFree86 system.  It replaces the SVGA server in XFree86.
Did you download the new 3.3.4 version of XFree86 ?  Maybe it already
has the Voodoo3 stuff in it's SVGA ?  The 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 versions that
shipped with RedHat 6.0 do NOT.

3.3.4 is the first rel to include support for the S3Trio3D.  Maybe
Voodoo3 is in there too.

Sounds like the color depth setting is what you need though.

------------------------------

From: "DMFiend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:06:19 GMT

when I try to run q3test on my col2.2 sytem using a viper770ultra and
nvidia's drivers I get the following:
WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 byte aligned
... setting mode 3: 640 480
Error couldn't open the x display
... WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
then it looks for the voodoo driver instead and fails because they aren't
there
then it tries libGL.so with the same errors as above and says
Error:GLimp_init ( ) - could not load OpenGL subsystem
what gives if anyone can help please explain in step by step I'm new to
linux and probabally won't understand otherwise.

Thanx,

DMFiend

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD Lance Ethernet controller question?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:31:01 GMT

psingh wrote:
> I need to send and receive some raw packets to a AMD LANCE Ethernet
> controller. I was wondering if anyone has any sample code already
> written to do this?

Have you looked at the Linux driver itself.  The source file is
drivers/net/pcnet32.c

From: colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cost of leased line in notting hill, London England
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:31:01 GMT

>  NTL (www.askntl.co.uk) are going to be offereing Cablemodems soon (or
> so they say)
>
> Prices are expected to be approx
> Modem itself £150
> Set up £50
> the £40 pcm
>
> I think that is 128k speed that they will be offering - you might be
> better off checking that out

Unfortunetly, I wont be able to use ASDL because I'm setting up a server,
and I need both IP numbers, which I suspect won't  be available on an asdl
connection, and also real, reliable bandwidth. 128k to tele house compared
to an ISP via ISDN is marked

Chhers though

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Anyone got a Umax Astra 1220S working?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Aug 1999 14:58:14 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In article <7q9d2q$g90$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > Umax Astra 1220S flatbed model.
> >
> > I have this one working on Redhat 5.2 (2.0.36 kernel) but I'm not using the
> > crappy SCSI card that came with the scanner.
> >

> Don't scare me, the SCSI card is much of the reason I'm buying this model,
> but I could still return it.  What's so crappy about the included SCSI card?
> UMAX support has not replied to my query about system requirements allowing
> my 486-50, so that had been until now, my only reason for returning it.
> Though I'd LOVE to get a negative/slide scanner for this kind of price ($170
> Cdn).

There is no Linux support for that particular card.  This is true of most if
not all of the controllers provided with scsi scanners IIRC.  I have mine
hooked up to a TekRam DC-390U.  You also need to get a DB50 (or DB68 depending
on the scsi controller you get) to DB25 cable as the 1220S only comes with the
25 pin connector.  Note for scsi controllers with 68 pin external connections,
you need to have proper termination of the upper bits in your converter cable.
Whether something cheaper like a TekRam DC-390 (without suffix) or an Adaptec
29{1,2,3}0 would do, I dunno.  A TekRam DC-310 (uses the older 53C810A chipset)
should work if you can find it (price watch listed it for $35) as long as you
don't need to boot from it.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: "Steve Waldo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3D Banshee Video Card Problem...  help?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:29:16 -0500

I wrote
> I guess there's another program you can try called xf86config.
> I think it has a way to set up those values, too.

The program I was really thinking of is called XF86Setup.
--Steve

------------------------------

From: "¦Ñ»æ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,hk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:33:18 +0800

Mandrake is for 586.

--
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Attotech SCSI card Help
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:31:01 GMT

Anyone know what chip set the ATTO ExpressPCI-PSCd Card uses? Anyone if it
is supported in linux?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Please recommend a SILENT 10/100 Ethernet hub
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Aug 1999 15:13:07 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason C. Cotton) writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a SOHOware 10/100 Ethernet hub from CompUSA (Booooo!)
> and stupidly put it (unopened) in a corner for a month. When I unpacked it
> last night, I found (to my horror) that this hub has a LOUD fan, which
> makes it unsuitable for use in my home office LAN. So, two questions:

In addition to fan problems (mine had one too), it is also prone to lockups
(which was a pain when I had my office in the upstairs bedroom and the other
computers in the basement).  In frustration, I went to higher priced 3com
office connect hubs which work nicely, even when I had the hubs nearly 100 feet
apart.  However, the 3com's aren't cheap by any means.

> 1) Can anyone recommend a nice, relatively inexpensive, SILENT, compact,
> 8 port 10/100 Ethernet hub?

I think the netgear's are fairly quiet.

From: "Larry Rivera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAmba PDF
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:21:22 -0700

If anyone can help I can seem to find the samba pdf that Ive heard about. I
kinda need that, sop if anyone dhas a url to it can u post this please.
Thanks in advance

--

LD Studio

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: trouble installing SCSI AHA-2930 card
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:34:18 GMT

Can anyone tell me how to get an Adaptec AHA-2930U SCSI card installed
on a Mandrake 5.3 distribution? When I use insmod with the aic7xxx
driver, I get "device or resource busy" ... Upgrading to Mandrake 6.0
with kernel 2.2.9, kills the Ensoniq sound card so that it wont load,
configure or work.

The machine originally was installed using the 'Workstation'
installation. When I try to configure the kernel to make sure that SCSI
settings are ok (using 'make xconfig') - I get error 139 on kconfig.tk
which leads to a xconfig error 2.

Any thoughts?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Sherwin)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:45:16 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:33:18 +0800, "¦Ñ»æ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Mandrake is for 586.

No, it's _optimized_ for a 586. It'll run on any 32 bit processor,
even a 386. The stock kernel is built without math coprocessor
software emulation, though, so you need a 486DX or better, or an
80387.

That said, it's difficult to install a small system using RedHat or
Mandrake - you may be better off with Slackware.

Best regards, Paul
Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.telinco.co.uk/psherwin/index.htm
Mobile +44 (0)7931 578334   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pager  +44 (0)7666 797228

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Riva TNT
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Aug 1999 15:16:43 -0400

"Bradley Bye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where can I find an X Server/drivers to support the Graphics Blaster Riva
> TNT card?  I was planning on putting the card in the 98 machine, but thought
> it might be much more interesting in my OpenLinux 2.2 box.  Any ideas on
> where to look would be greatly appreciated.

The standard SVGA server will handle most TNT cards (3.3.4 is supposed to
handle the TNT2 as well, but RedHat isn't shipping that yet, dunno about Suse
or Debian).

> By the way, if I do find the correct drivers/X server, how would I go about
> swapping the video cards?  Should I switch to the SVGA server, install the
> new x server, install any new drivers then put in the new card?  What are
> the general steps to upgrading a video card under Linux anyway?

If you are using some other server than SVGA, install the SVGA server.  Boot up
in console mode, and rerun Xconfigurator, xf86config, or whatever else your
system uses to configure X.

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Aug 1999 15:08:10 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Norton) writes:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:31:07 GMT, colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >Cheers for any advice......:)
>
> Complain to your MP.  Prices in the US for a 512Kbps SDSL line are no more
> than about US$500/mo.  The installation including modem are no more than about
> $400/once.  And prices here are dropping fast.

That's assuming you can get xDSL and meet the distance requirements (the
maximum bandwidth you can buy depends on your distance from the CO).  Prices
are dropping where there is competition.  For what's its worth, at the moment,
my only choice in high speed access is dual channel ISDN or partial T1.  The
phone company doesn't do xDSL in this neck of the woods, and there is no cable
provider.  It cost ~$3000 one time fee (since they had to string another wire
over the lake) and about $450/month for dual channel ISDN (128k) to connect to
the ISP.

From: Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox G400
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:17:15 +0000

> I don't have a Matrox G400, BUT I've been told that the Multi-Monitor
> support DOES work.  The card simply shows up as TWO graphics
> cards (display :0, and :0.1).  Really, the only problem I know of thats
> keeping me out of the G400 market is the fact that Linux/MESA doesn't
> support the 3D features of the card....  features which make all the
> other
> cards (namely the Nvidea, and Rage128 cards) look like <bleep>.
> Matrox dominates the video card market as always!  Unfortunetly
> we won't see 3D support, or dedicated Linux drivers for the G400
> for awhile because there are several groups still working on 3D
> acceleration for the G200.

  You are incorrect on both points.
I'm not aware of any X-Server, commerical
or otherwise, that supports the second head
on the G400.

   Also, The G400 is supported by the latest
Mesa/GLX project's code (you have to get the
latest stuff off CVS though) and it's fast
enough to play Quake II at a decent framerate.

                Mark.

------------------------------

From: JMV Nederhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: qualitylinks, need something, find something
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:27:36 +0200

==============490D46BFABB97508F81C8BAA

qualitylinks, need something, find something
need some linux resources or something else? check out
http://qualitylinks.virtualave.net and find everything you need!
know a good link that isn't located on the site? mail it to the
webmaster!

thanks

==============490D46BFABB97508F81C8BAA

find something</a>
or something else? check out</a>
and find everything you need!<br>
know a good link that isn't located on the site? mail it to the webmaster!</a><a
href="http://qualitylinks.virtualave.net"></a>

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 16 or higher bpp in SiS6326??
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:27:06 GMT

Davis Eric wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> I have a question about my damn SiS636 card. I spent several days to
> make it work. Untill now, it works. But my demand on the quality of my
> screen increases with my usage with my RH6.0.
>
> The parameters of my video parts are:
> An unfamous display(screen).
> SiS6326 card with 8M video memory.
>
> I have tried to use startx -- -bpp 16 (or 24) to start X, but I got the
> message "Insufficient memory, can not display...". I have visit the
> XFree86 website on SiS6326. It says it supports up to 24bpp for SiS6236.
> But it didn't say how to achieve it. Up untill now, I can use onlt 8bpp
> in my RH6.0.  What a waste!
>
> Anyone has succefully conquer this card? Anyone has suggestions about
> the configuration, such as adding whatsoever in XF86Config? Detailed
> suggestion will be highly appreciated and of course, I will be thankful
> any help.

I've been using my Diamond A50 card for about 6 months without any
problems and have helped dozens of people to get their cards working.
It really does work!  I run with a 1024x768 resolution at 16 bit.

Here's my list of things to try :
1)  Run Xconfigurator and configure your monitor, card, mouse, etc.  Do
NOT let it probe your card - it gets it wrong anyway.  Configure exactly
ONE resolution (1024x768) at one bit depth (16).  Do not use 24 bit
color, since it's busted.

2)  Edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  I've attached mine.  Do not use
mine as is since it's customized for my monitor, but pay special
attention to the Device and Screen sections.  There are options there
that are signficant.  Note that Xconfigurator writes out the videoram
line but comments it out.  It defaults to 1 MB so that won't do you much
good for 16bit color.

If you still have problems, check out the following web page:
http://www.luv.asn.au/overheads/xconfig

If you've gone through all of this and it still doesn't work for you,
e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: memorex crw-1622
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:40:19 GMT

>how do i get a memorex crw-1622 working w/ xcdroast ?????????????

Read the CD-Writing HowTo, start at:
    http://howto.linuxberg.com/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1
                                  - and -
    http://howto.linuxberg.com/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
Main thing is to have SCSI simulation enabled in kernel (or as a module)
and deselect ide-cd modules.

I have my CRW1622 on the 4th IDE controller, so I had to add the following to
loadlin/lilo:
    hdg=ide-scsi
I can mount it as a CD-ROM at either /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0  &
cdrecord/xcdroast also sees it as a SCSI device  ("cdrecord -scanbus").

Later,
        William Altaffer
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.halcyon.com/wha/

------------------------------

From: Heinz Liesenfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: m105 mustek handheld scanner under Kernel 2.2.x
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:21:48 +0200

Hi, Linux-Users!

Is there anybody still using this old thing?

I have not yet managed to get it work. Xscan 1.1 with patch for Kernel
2.0 doesnt work anymore, the symbols-file has changed and so on.

Thanks for help!

Heinz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Curtis Newton)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Setting up ATI Rage Fury with SVGATextMode
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:15:39 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:20:22 +0200, Didier Wiroth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Can someone help me to setup the RAGE Fury 32mb graphic adapter(with
>IIYAMA "Vision Master Pro 502" as Monitor)for the
>/etc/TextMode file.
>
>Here are some with technical infos:
>http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/products/pc/rage_fury/index.html
>
>The ati rage fury manual page:
>http://support.atitech.com/manual_pdf/rage128.pdf
>
>Thanks a lot for any reply
>Didier
>Luxembourg - EUROPE

Here are two URLS:

http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm
or
http://cnewton.home.mindspring.com/xpert128-linux.html
-
--
===================================
Curtis Newton
http://cnewton.home.mindspring.com
===================================

Due to USENET spamming, I had to modify
my reply to email address.

Please delete  ".remove"  to reply.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
is greater, for each violation.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buying new Linux Box; any hardware recommendations?
Date: 29 Aug 1999 19:45:04 GMT

William H. Fissell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Any suggestions for what's out there? I have about $1200 to spend. I use
>it for text, *minor* programming, and some spreadsheet stuff.  I have
>been pretty much out of the loop for a few years, so I have no sense of
>what hardware is going to get me the best linux bang for my buck.

In that price range, I've been recommending dual Celeron boxes with
ABit's BP6; a super price/performance value.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fulko van Westrenen)
Subject: Star LaserPrinter DX8
Date: 24 Aug 1999 07:39:22 GMT

Has anyone experience with the Star LaserPrinter DX8?
It should be similar to the HP-LJ3 according to the
books (and the case is very similar), but when you
connect it to a Linux system it isn't (under Win98
it works, according to my neighbour).

Thanks,
Fulko