Linux-Hardware Digest #141, Volume #11           Mon, 30 Aug 99 21:13:42 EDT

Contents:
  Re: PCI Modem Problems (Ninewands)
  Re: KPGP error message (Chad Peiper)
  Re: SoundBlaster Live Value and RealPlayer G2 (MBr)
  Re: Linux for beginners ("John Clement")
  Re: making linux go away (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: USB intellimouse in Linux (Mohd H Misnan)
  Yamaha 6416 CD RW (Peter Chant)
  Re: Setup X for Dell Inspiron 7000C notebook
  Viper V770 ("C.J.Loader")
  Re: What is a good graphics card? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  all in 1 printer (HP R80) (Chris Webster)
  USB Sopport? ("Emil P. Rojas")
  Re: webexcel ("Sean Lincolne")
  Re: hp kayak/omnibook support (audio/lan) (Simon Oosthoek)
  KDE Error message (Chad Peiper)
  Re: I need some help with overall stuff (Ninewands)
  Re: Dual Celeron ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: LILO and a 10GB disk??? (MBr)
  slackware zip linux ("HondaCrazy")
  Re: latest driver for 3c523 MCA ethernet card? (Johannes Ziegler)
  Voodoo 3 -or- RIVA TNT2 ? ("Greg H.")
  Re: Headless running 2.2 kernel probs (John Doe)
  Re: More fonts for X Server (Rod Smith)
  Re: Dual Celeron (Dan Star)
  ECC Memory? (Dan Star)
  Getting the Ethernet ID from directly from the network card. (Vincent)

From: Ninewands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.install
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Problems
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:32:29 -0500

Sethuraman Baranidharan wrote:

> Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but
                      ^^^^^^^^^
<SNIP>

> Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
>
> "BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE ID 0440 IRQ 5."

This is encouraging, but not much else ...

> /proc/pci  contains
>
> PCI devices found: Bus 0 Device 17 Comm controller UNKNOWN vendor L56xMF (rev 1)
>   Medium devsel  fast back-to-back capable IRQ 5 Master capable no bursts
>   Min Gnt 252, Max Lat=14,  Non prefethcable 32 bit memory at 0xe8101000.

This is also encouraging, but only just ...

> I tried isapnp and the isapnp.conf file contains only lines with
> #trying some address
> #no boards

Not surprising, isapnptools only works on the ISA bus.  It can't affect
the PCI bus ...

> I dont think I have any Plug-N-Pray devices (also saw the Bios setup and noticed
> PnP disabled there).

Well, that doesn't help matters.  The BIOS is what manages PnP cards on
the PCI bus.  At least it manages my video card (Graphics Blaster
Exxtreme) and my 3-D card (Diamond Monster 3-D), and they seem to work
fine with Linux.  First step, enable PnP in the BIOS.  Maybe it'll start
working.

> Any suggestions?  Would help if you give a step by step instruction on
> how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another
> modem"!

Unfortunately, this is a recommendation I am unable to avoid.  Even if
your modem can be made to work under Linux, why would you voluntarily
take that kind of hit on overall system performance?

Replace "invalid" with "com" to reply

Beware the fury of a patient man.
                - John Dryden

------------------------------

From: Chad Peiper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: KPGP error message
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:07:08 -0500

 I am running SuSE 6.1 and kde and I get this error even after I have
 reinstalled kpgpshell.rpm can anyone out there figure out what I can do
 to fix this?

 Could not find mome type
 KPGPShell
 in /opt/kde/share/applnk/Utilities/exploer/kpgpshell.kdelnk

 thanks
 chad

 also, how can i set up REMOTE HOST LOGIN so i can login using X elsewhere?
 thanks

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live Value and RealPlayer G2
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:44:30 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have changed my sound card from a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold to a
> SoundBlaster Live Value card and RealPlayer G2 alpha for Linux
> crashes. Please note that the sound card is working as I have
> installed the drivers and can use apps like KMP3 etc and they
> work fine.
>
> Configuration details :
>
>         RedHat 6.0 Linux 2.2.10 Kernel
>         Kernel sound support configured as instructed by Creative
>         Sound driver
>         http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/
>         emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz (120KB) Start
>
> RealPlayer makes connection Ok buffers data Ok starts to
> play sound (I think) then crash.
>
> kernel messages :
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> 0000001c
> current->tss.cr3 = 06507000, %cr3 = 06507000
> *pde = 00000000 Aug 21 17:40:39
> Oops: 0000 Aug 21 17:40:39 rolf kernel: CPU: 0
> EIP: 0010:[vfat:vfat_put_super+-76422/1220]
> EFLAGS: 00010202
> eax: 00000000 ebx: c8048000 ecx: 00000000 edx: c567c020
> esi: c567c020 edi: 00000000
> ebp: c6489f30 esp: c6489f20
> ds: 0018 es: 0018 ss: 0018
> Process realplay (pid: 757, process nr: 50, stackpage=c6489000)
> Stack: 0000001d
> 0000c1a0 c5939b2c 00000000 00000000 c012c29f c567c020 00000000
> c5999f94 0000001e
> c5999f98 0000003d 00000145 0000001d c6488000 00000000
> 00000000 00000000
> c012c776 0000001e c6489fa8 c6489fa4 c6488000 bfffdfb0
> Call Trace: [do_select+307/532]
> [sys_select+1014/1372] [system_call+52/56] [startup_32+43/286]
> Code: 8b 40 1c 83 c0 4c 85 ff 74 0f 85 c0 74 0b 57 50 56 e8 30 ea

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Unfortunatly, this is a known problem, it is supposed that the driver
lacks support
of select(2) which causes this problem. Try to install Esound and use
the Esound wrapper
for RealPlayerG2 as a work around...

--
                "It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I
                rather be flamed with better information than to be left

------------------------------

From: "John Clement" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for beginners
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:49:51 -0500

There are lots of linux support websites. Most make available the numerous
HOWTO's that explain many of the arcane features of linux that new users
want to delve into.

One site providing such info is the Linux User Support Team at:
http://www.ch4549.org/lust/

These are especially helpful HOWTO's for beginners:

Distribution - explaining different distributions of Linux and what they
offer:
http://www.ch4549.org/lust/Distribution-HOWTO

Installation - explaining how to obtain and install Linux:
http://www.ch4549.org/lust/Installation-HOWTO

DOS-to-Linux - helping people familiar with DOS commands to understand the
equivalent Linux commands:
http://www.ch4549.org/lust/DOS-to-Linux-HOWTO

I also recommend either buying or borrowing a third-pary book that explains
Linux. Usually it will include a CDrom of one of the distributions. My wife
gave me "Red Hat Linux Secrets" for Christmas and I still refer to it at
times.

Hope that helps!

news:7o8ik3$og7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: 30 Aug 1999 09:04:04 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:06:16 -0300, Dario Andrade wrote:
>Taking advantage of this conversation, how do I SETUP lilo on my MBR??
>
>I mean, the easiest way, without having to read tons of man pages to do
>something really stupid (in my opinion)...

Have the following in your /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda3
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

The first entry will always become the default operating system the machine will
boot into if you don't specify anything at the lilo prompt.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: USB intellimouse in Linux
Date: 30 Aug 1999 08:37:43 GMT

On 30 Aug 1999 03:28:22 GMT, Jeremy Fincher wrote:
>Yes, I know it's microsoft, but I can't think of a better mouse for playing
>quake3 with  :-).  But will it work with linux?
>
>And if there are better mice, what are they?

Err.. nothing wrong with microsoft hardware, I love my original microsoft mouse
and it still my best mouse around. I don't have USB mouse, so I couldn't answer
your question and I couldn't get USB support compiled into my kernel 2.2.X too
:( 2.3.X doesn't even want to boot up on my notebook. I'll wait until 2.4.X
before jumping into USB devices.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |
|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.12 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-If Fortune calls, offer him a seat.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Chant)
Subject: Yamaha 6416 CD RW
Date: 30 Aug 1999 22:21:30 GMT

I'm considering buying a Yamaha 6416 CD-RW drive, SCSI internal. The system
boots soley to linux. Has anyone any experiance of this drive on a linux
system.

TIA

Pete

--
Peter Chant

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Setup X for Dell Inspiron 7000C notebook
Date: 30 Aug 1999 12:53:00 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:11:21 GMT, Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7qcheh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JJ wrote:
>>There is a fourth:  In a few weeks, Dell is reportedly going to support
>>Linux on the I7k.  The drivers should then appear on their website.
>
>Sure about that?  The press release I saw said they were going to be selling
>workstation and server systems preconfigured with Linux.  I have seen nothing
>which indicates they'll be shipping Linux on laptops.  Given the sorry state of
>the sound drivers and the trickiness of the rest of the configuration, I would
>be very surprised to find this is true.

i was at LinuxWorld Aug. 9-12, and spoke with several people at the Dell
booth... they said to expect laptop support for Linux on the inspirons
sometime in Sept...

hth

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:39:35 +1000
From: "C.J.Loader" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper V770

Can anyone please tell me where to get a server for this video card that
works well above 640x480 16 colours?

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: What is a good graphics card?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:25:12 -0500

Oskar Berggren wrote:

> does anyone have any suggestions on what graphics card to use with Linux
> (X supported, 3d, etc.)?

I'm running a Matrox G200, but if I bought now I'd get a G400.  I
understand that the TNT2 is in the same class, but I haven't seen it.

3D support is under development, but isn't quite "there" yet.  For info
about the G*00 or TNT* cards, see http://glx.on.openprojects.net/.  If
you're thinking about going the Voodoo route, see
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Webster)
Subject: all in 1 printer (HP R80)
Date: 30 Aug 1999 21:05:57 GMT

Anyone have any experience with one of these all in one copier/scanner/fax
and color printer units.  Specifically the HP R40/60/80 series.

--Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:32:47 -0700
From: "Emil P. Rojas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Sopport?

So, what about USB support?  If you try to boot Linux on a USB based
PC does it work?

BTW, I am just getting ready to do this and I thought it would be best
ask first.

emil

------------------------------

From: "Sean Lincolne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: webexcel
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:20:35 +1000

If it is a PCI modem you are largely stuffed - Every PCI modem I have seen
(I've been looking around for myself) has been a Winmodem.

If so, it will never work except if you are running Windows.

news:7q7djc$o84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Simon Oosthoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hp kayak/omnibook support (audio/lan)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:00:01 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > The audio (of the kayak XA and the omnibook models) is just advertised
> > as:
> >  "16-bit Sound Blaster Pro–compatible stereo sound"
>
> Kayak XA: One unit uses an AD1816 onboard chip, the other one uses an
> Aztech 16-bit add-in card.

strange that they don't document what they use for their systems...

> > The ethernet adapter is a weird one
> > Ethernet LAN interface:
> > • 32-bit autosensing HP NightDirector Plus 10/100 Ethernet card
> > (standard on some models or available as an HP accessory)
> > • LAN Remote Power On/Off and remote wake-up support
> >
> > I've never heard of this one and it's not listed (under this name) in
> > the network drivers in the kernel....
> > Is this a different name for a well known chip?
>
> AMD PCNet. RedHat 6.0 saw it when I installed with one of the
> NightDirector cards.

Thanks for the info!

Simon

------------------------------

From: Chad Peiper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: KDE Error message
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:05:05 -0500

I am running SuSE 6.1 and kde and I get this error even after I have
installed kpgpshell.rpm can anyone out there figure out what I can do
to fix this?

"Could not find mome type
KPGPShell
in /opt/kde/share/applnk/Utilities/exploer/kpgpshell.kdelnk"

thanks
chad

p.s. also, how can i set up REMOTE HOST LOGIN so i can login using X
elsewhere?

,,______________________________________________________________________

------------------------------

From: Ninewands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I need some help with overall stuff
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:57:25 -0500

Warren Bell wrote:

> Well, Linux is more of a command line operating system first, point &
> click second.  There's a learning curve to get over first but once you
> get the hang of it it's easy.
>
> Windows programs won't run on Linux.  There are some emulators out that
> will run Windows programs, but from my experience, not that great.
> They're are either buggy as hell or slow and sluggish.  This is just my
> opinion.
>
> There are a lot of programs like Netscape and WordPerfect8 that are out
> for Linux that work great, just like the Windows vertions,

<SNIP>

Well, not *JUST* like windows ... the *n*x version of Netscape doesn't
work too well as an offline newsreader, but there are others that
probably do ... I guess this has to do with the fact that most *n*x
boxen are LAN-connected to the 'net rather than through dial-up ...

replace "invalid" with "com" to reply by mail

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: 31 Aug 1999 00:06:32 GMT

Minh Giang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:     I'm also trying to build a dual celeron on the Abit BP6, but when trying
: to intall RH 6.0, it does see my UDMA-66 Harddrive on the 66-IDE port.  What's
: the trick?  Any help or hint will be great

If it *does* see your UDMA/66 HD on the UDMA/66 channel, great!
Just go ahead and install it!  If not, then please visit the following
page I created a while ago for more details on dealing with the
HPT-366 UDMA/66 controller on BP6:

  http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt-366/

-- Chuan-kai Lin

------------------------------

From: MBr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO and a 10GB disk???
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:44:15 +0200

Mike Tipton wrote:

> I have it on a 10 Gig drive and it seems to be fine, but I'm new at this, so
> ...whatever
>
> Rudy M wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've read somewhere that LILO can't work with boot partition higher then
> > this, its no bios problem its a LILO problem....

No, It's a BIOS problem, current BIOSes reserve only 10 bits for storing the boot
cilinder,
if you place your system bootup files above this 1023 cylinder mark, it won't be
able to boot
and LILO will give you a warning, again this is no LILO problem, but a current IBM
BIOS limit, that afaik no BIOS manufacturer has fixed yet...
The easiest thing to do, is to create a primary partition of around 10mb and place
it under this boundery
(pref. as 1st partition, to be sure) and mount it under /boot and install LILO on
it..
And to be clear, the value in GiB of  1023 limit varies from disk to disk and
doesn't nescesarly have to
be 504MiB.

As for the problems that accur arround 7.8-8.1GiB, in order for the BIOS to detect
harddisks bigger
than this limit, it needs to support Extended Interrupt 13 (EXT INT13).

Currently, Linux doesn't use the BIOS to detect the size of the HD, but for other
OSes on such systems
who don't support EXT INT13, try first to upgrade your BIOS, if that won't help,
just put the HD entries
in the BIOS on AUTO, it would probably do the trick...

MBR

From: "HondaCrazy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slackware zip linux
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:06:22 GMT

I'm getting I/O errors when I boot up. I'm running it off of a internal zip
drive and a boot disk.

when I mount my zipdrive this is what I'm entering.
mount root=/dev/hdd4 rw

when I scroll back to see my partitions all I have listed is
hda1
hdd4
hdd4
yes hdd4 is listed twice.

does anyone know what could be causing this.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:59:15 +0200
From: Johannes Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: latest driver for 3c523 MCA ethernet card?

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> I'm using the Linux 2.0.35 "hack" from http://www.dgmicro.com/mca/ on a
> PS/2 model 70 with a 3COM 3c523 ethernet card. The driver is marked
> experimental, and it seems to have some timing problems. Is there any
> later driver for that ethernet card that runs with Linux 2.0.X? (the
> machine has only 6 MB RAM, so I don't want to go to 2.2.X)
> Thanks.
> --
> Georg Schwarz ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP 2.6ui)
> Institut für Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
> Technische Universität Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Maybe you'll find an apropriate driver on Donald Becker's driver page.
( http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ ).

Good luck !
Johannes Ziegler

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voodoo 3 -or- RIVA TNT2 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:47:46 -0400

Hi all,

    I'm building a dual PIII and am down to deciding which
video card to get.  I want to play 3D accelerated games
like Quake, but also want stable performance in X.  So,
the question is, "which one do I buy?"  The price of the
cards is not the issue for me.  The issue is support in
Linux.  I hear so many contradicting pro's and con's
between these two chipsets, that I am completely
confused.  As far as the Voodoo 3 goes, I would purchase
it by 3Dfx.  For the RIVA TNT2, I don't know.  It would
probably be the one by Creative Labs.
    So, in a nutshell, which chipset and which manufacturer
should I choose to buy?

    Thank you _very much_ in advance!

    Greg H.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Headless running 2.2 kernel probs
Date: 30 Aug 1999 20:42:25 -0500

Have you tried with 2.2.11.  2.2.12 does not even finish
compiling for me.  I won't bother with mine.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: More fonts for X Server
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:12:33 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Jorge O. Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I really love it, but there is still something that I don't know how or
> where to get: more fonts. You see, Netscape now only has like 10 or 15
> fonts, and all the web pages look pretty much the same (not too good), and
> sometimes, like right now, the letters looks really tiny. Is there
> something that can be done? Is that dependent on the X server installed? or
> the hardware?

Your best bet is to install a TrueType font server, like xfsft or xfstt,
if one doesn't already come with SuSE, along with some good TrueType
fonts.  Microsoft's got some very good TrueType screen fonts on their web
site at:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

Grab the Windows 3.1 archive, which is actually a self-extracting zip
file.  You can extract the fonts in Linux using InfoZip ("unzip foo.exe").
You may also want to check the Font Deuglification HOWTO, at:

http://www.frii.com/~meldroc/Font-Deuglification.html

This gives more detailed information on configuring a font server,
improving the appearance of fonts in assorted programs, and so on.  I
don't know if there are any SuSE-specific issues of which you should be
aware, though.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dan Star <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:59:43 -0500

I thought Celeron did not support multi-processor setup?

--Dan

------------------------------

From: Dan Star <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ECC Memory?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:01:51 -0500

I am getting a new system and am wondering if I should pay more to get
ECC Memory.  Is it really needed in a system that will be used only by
one person?

--Dan

------------------------------

From: Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development,linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Getting the Ethernet ID from directly from the network card.
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:50:32 +0200

HI.
I'm developping a driver that it must getting the Ethernet ID directly
on the network card.
I found all network cards this their physical address in my PC but where
is the ethernet number ??? What address ?

DEVERRE Vincent - MCII : [EMAIL PROTECTED]