Linux-Hardware Digest #141, Volume #14            Sun, 7 Jan 01 15:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Matrox g400 tv (Roel)
  Wheel mouse - was[Re: Help! I lost 128MB :)] (FMRCYouth)
  Re: Help! I lost 128MB :) ("Eric en Jolanda")
  D-Link DU-C300 USB Webcam Problems (Stephen Newey)
  Sony SR11k and Linux??? ("Count Zero")
  Re: Orinoco / PCI (Roberto)
  Re: How to use interrupts > 15? (Frank Ranner)
  Re: Bash Command Not found ("Roger Hawley")
  USB Mouse hangs on Screen Border (Kurt Gysin)
  Re: AOpen CDRW - CRW6206A (Youngert)
  A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection (Youngert)
  Hauppauge WinTV-PVR (Hans Wander)
  GeForce2 MX Driver for Linux ("Jason Ng")
  Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI Winmodem ?? Can be used for Linux ? (mike)
  Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66 (anto)
  Re: GeForce2 MX Driver for Linux (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)
  Re: Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI Winmodem ?? Can be used for Linux ? (Rob Clark)
  ppp in redhat 7 (Jeff Moore)
  Re: changing irq (Tony Curtis)
  Re: VIA apollo pro 133A (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Voodoo3 2000 pci (Henrik Carlqvist)
  3Com 3c509B ISA card Help, please... ("Jurph")
  Lucent AMR Modems? (John Hong)
  Re: ATA100 Drives and RH 7.0 ("Brian Morrison")
  Advice Needed - Partitioning New HD For Linux ("Mike Gratis")
  Re: dual xeon problems (ekk)

From: Roel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox g400 tv
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:15:01 +0100

Hello

Can anyone tell me how well the g400 works in Linux.I am thinking of
buying one.
The vga and dualhead is supported, read somewhere that the tv funcion
works, but can I use it as a video recorder, capture and edit movies,
use the teletext, in short, are all funtions of the g400 tv (with the
blue breakout box) useable in Linux (SuSE 7.0).
Any response is welcome.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FMRCYouth)
Date: 07 Jan 2001 12:02:02 GMT
Subject: Wheel mouse - was[Re: Help! I lost 128MB :)]

>One more thing, How do you get a PS2 mouse to go under X? Specifically,
>what's the /dev entry and does anything need to be compiled into the kernel.
>I have a Logitech WheelMouse (Optical, PS2, mousewheel)

I had the same problem.  Go to /etc/X11/XF86Config and edit the lines under the
pointer section.  I have a logitech wheel mouse and I added the line:

ZAxisMapping  4  5

Also, make sure the Protocol is set to "IMPS/2"
The device should be either /dev/mouse or /dev/psaux

Then, to make it work, after you save this, type "imwheel -k" at the command
prompt.  I had to put this command in my .xinitrc file to make it work
everytime X started.  There are online docs about this also.  Howto files for
imwheel may also be helpful.

HTH

God bless,
Randy Bennett

Registered Linux user #198235
(Registered at http://counter.li.org )

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! I lost 128MB :)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:18:10 +0100

> > This has been reported many times:
> >
> > append = "mem=192M"
> >
> > put that line in your lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo, should fix the
> > problem
> Is this specific to 192MB or do other values fail? Either way I'm going to
> take a little peep at the source.

Do as you please. You'll end up with the same construct.
The point is that your BIOS is not reporting the correct value.
The append line overrides the reported value.

You could also upgrade your BIOS

Eric

------------------------------

From: Stephen Newey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DU-C300 USB Webcam Problems
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:24:29 +0000

Hi there,

I've just bought the above mention camera, assuming it was basically a
DSB-C300 (which is not actually mentioned on the D-Link websites).
However, it doesn't wanna work, I'm running Mandrake 7.2, Kernel 2.2.18
(tried in 2.4.0test12 too), K7/900Mhz on an Gigabyte motherboard, here's
what I get in /var/log/messages....

Jan  4 19:15:14 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned
device number 2
Jan  4 19:15:14 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:   TD @
c4a20040/04A20040, MaxLen=07 DT0 EP=0 Dev=0 PID=(SETUP) buf=013a0de0
Jan  4 19:15:14 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Len=07 e0 Stalled
CRC/Timeo
Jan  4 19:15:14 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Link points to TD
@ 04a20080, Breadth first
Jan  4 19:15:14 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address (error=-110)
Jan  4 19:15:26 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device -1
Jan  4 19:15:29 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned
device number 2
Jan  4 19:15:29 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:   TD @
cede2fa0/0EDE2FA0, MaxLen=07 DT0 EP=0 Dev=0 PID=(SETUP) buf=013a0620
Jan  4 19:15:29 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Len=07 e0 Stalled
CRC/Timeo
Jan  4 19:15:29 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Link points to TD
@ 0ede2f60, Breadth first
Jan  4 19:15:29 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address (error=-110)
Jan  4 19:15:48 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device -1
Jan  4 19:15:55 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned
device number 2
Jan  4 19:15:55 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:   TD @
c4a20080/04A20080, MaxLen=07 DT0 EP=0 Dev=0 PID=(SETUP) buf=013a0a60
Jan  4 19:15:55 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Len=07 e0 Stalled
CRC/Timeo
Jan  4 19:15:55 voyager kernel: usb-uhci-debug.h:     Link points to TD
@ 04a20040, Breadth first
Jan  4 19:15:55 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address (error=-110)
Jan  4 19:16:30 voyager kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device -1

Any clue as to what's up/what I can do to sort it?

Cheers,
Stephen.

------------------------------

From: "Count Zero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony SR11k and Linux???
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:22:39 +0100

Hi,

has somebody sucessfully installed a Linux on the SOny Subnotebook Sony
PCG-SR11K?

What Hardware-components will not run?

Thank you

Bye

Axel

------------------------------

From: Roberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Orinoco / PCI
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:36:39 GMT

In article <JJh56.22122$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Has anyone solved the problems associated with use of Lucent (Wavelan)
> Orinoco wireless lan cards in desktop PC's via the PCI adapter?
>
> As I recall there was some sort of problem with the PCI card not
> operating correctly with pre-PCI-2.2 motherboards?

Somewhere on the Lucent site it says that the PCI adapter only works with
motherboards that comply to the PCI 2.1 standard. Those are usually PC's that
conform to the PC99 standard and pc's that only have PCI slots. So it's more
of a hardware problem than a software/driver problem. I sweated for some
hours getting the damn pci adapter card to work until I read that statement.
The dealer I bought the card from exchanged my PCI adapter card for an ISA
one and that worked immediately..

Regards Robert-Jan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to use interrupts > 15?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 00:34:21 +1100

Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:

> I cannot get my sound card (Turtle Beach Pinnacle) to work under Redhat 7.0.
>
> I'm dual-booting with Win2K.  It appears that under Windows, my SCSI controller
> is using interrupts above 15; but in Linux, it's using the interrupts that my
> sound card is set to.
>
> I presume these higher numbers are a Win2K naming convention for dealing with
> shared interrupts?
>
> The sound card is ISA in non-PnP mode.  Because of the available interrupts in
> my system, and the IRQ's that my sound card will use, its current setting is
> about the only one that works under Windows, so I want to use the same resource
> settings under Linux.
>
> How can I get the SCSI card to use the same higher (shared) interrupts as used
> under Win2K?  Not having my music library available as I work is probably the
> primary reason I don't spend as much time in Linux as I'd like to  :-)

Go into the bios settings and set the sound card interrupt to isa-only.
This will
stop any PCI devices from getting that irq.

Regards,
Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: "Roger Hawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash Command Not found
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:37:11 -0500

I found that one but try running xconfigurator from root I get command not
found. I am using Redhat 7
news:938k60$mcp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Kurt Gysin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Mouse hangs on Screen Border
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:39:45 -0500

Hey,

I have the following setup

Laptop

Linux 2.4.0
XFree 4.01
Touchpad (PS/2)
USB mouse (Logitech Mouseman Optical), currently IMPS/2 driver

And the following problem: when I move my mouse to the side of the screen,
the mousepointer stops, but the system seems to be remembering the
mouseposition, even if it is off the screen. What this means is for
example, that if I move the mouse 2in further off the screen, I have to
move it back the same distance, before the pointer moves again.
OTOH if I use the touchpad, it reacts immediately.

Does anyone have an idea how to rectify this, so my mousepointer does
immobilize itself against the screen border anymore? I have tried the
different drivers working with USB, but to no avail.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen CDRW - CRW6206A
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:25:29 GMT

Dink Adams wrote:

> I have one of these animals that works fine in WINME and WIN2000 with the
> Adaptec drivers.  Anyone have any luck getting this model set up and
> running in Red Hat Linux 6.1 or Mandrake 7.2?

I had this one, too, and have gotten rid off the beast since it really does
not work on my Linux SuSE-6.2 Distro.  I replaced this one with an Acer
CDRW8432IA-102 and still had the same problem(s).  cdrecord complains that
the drive is bad.  Then, I replaced the CDRW8432IA-102 with the IOmega
12x10x32 CDRW (that I got from CompUSA for $100 after a huge discount and
rebate) and am very happy with it.  Now, I can write CDR/W medias with no
problem at all.  You may want to go to the Acer's web page
(www.acercm.com/drivers) and download the latest or a newer firmware to
upgrade the one that came with the unit.

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:46:52 GMT

Hi,

I have two computers with the following configuration:

1. Computer one: is running SuSE 7.0 Pro Linux distro and has a direct
connection to the Internet through a Cable modem.  It is also equipped with
a 56Kbps modem.

2. Computer two: is running Windows2K Pro and does not have any connection
to the Internet, except it has a 56Kbps mode.

What I would like to accomplish is to connect computer two to the Internet
by means of computer one, a.k.a. Modem-to-Modem connection using PPP (an
alternative way is to add a second ethernet card to computer one and
another ethernet cat to computer two.  Then, establish a PPP connection
between these two ethernet cards).  However, since I am in a tight budget
and speed is of no importance, I would like to implement a PPP connection
between the two modems.  Does anyone know if this can be done.  If so, can
you please at least help me out?  Any reference to this subject is
certainly appreciated.

TIA.

------------------------------

From: Hans Wander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:17:07 +0100

Hello,

does someone successful operate the WinTV-PVR under Linux?
This is a rather new TV card with an onboard mpeg encoder chip.
My old WinTV PCI card with BT878 chip worked without problems
under Linux - I use xawtv.
The new card is identified as a BT878 based card, but the output
is only black and white.
The second problem is: the sound mixer works wrong; the line-in
is always forwarded to line-out.
Does one of you have an idea?

Hans

------------------------------

From: "Jason Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: GeForce2 MX Driver for Linux
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:21:02 +0800

Hi,

I've just bought a new computer with Winfast GeForce2 MX display card and I
would like to install Linux on this machine.
But I can't find the driver for the display card. How can I get the driver
and how to install it?

Regards,
Jason

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI Winmodem ?? Can be used for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 16:33:16 GMT

Hi,
    I have a Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI modem. I thing that it
is a Winmodem. It has a Rockwell RLVDL56 DPF / SP
R6785-61  chipset.
    Is there any way that this modem can be used with Linux and
if so, how?

                                                                Thanks

Mike

------------------------------

From: anto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:56:13 +0100

I have some problems in installing mandrake 7.2.
When the installation try to find the hd it couldn't find any hd to
write filesystem.
I have tried with the istructions:

linux idebus=33

and

linux ide2=<fist i/o address>, <second i/o address +2>

but in the first way it can't find the hd and in the second it freeze.

Can someone helpme? Thanyou

Anto

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: GeForce2 MX Driver for Linux
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:50:35 +0100

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Jason Ng wrote:

> I've just bought a new computer with Winfast GeForce2 MX display card and I
> would like to install Linux on this machine.
> But I can't find the driver for the display card. How can I get the driver
> and how to install it?

AFAIK it is supported with XFree86 4.0.2. So just choose a distro with
this version of X - or upgrade after the installation.

If you want to install it manually, you can get it at www.xfree86.org.

> Regards,
> Jason

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:29:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I have a Diamond SupraMax 2260 PCI modem. I thing that it
>is a Winmodem. It has a Rockwell RLVDL56 DPF / SP
>R6785-61  chipset.
>    Is there any way that this modem can be used with Linux and
>if so, how?

No, it is a controllerless modem in the Rockwell HCF family.  There is no
Linux driver available for it at this time.  Sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp in redhat 7
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:48:53 -0600

I just installed redhat 7.0 and I am surprised to find this:

ppp module not available, not installed properly.

I checked the modules and ppp.o is there, but the supporting modules are
missing.

ppp does not show in the X control panel.

I am recompiling the kernel now, to reinstall it.

Has anyone else had this problem, please reply.

My system is IBM Cyrix 6x86 166+, 32mb, 8gb Seagate, S3 virge GX, Dlink
100mbs.

My first compile failed: function kstat_irqs undeclared functions

Any comment would be appreciated.

Jeff Moore

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: changing irq
Date: 07 Jan 2001 12:27:44 -0600

>> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:35:03 -0500,
>> Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Ladies and Gentlemen, Is it possible to change the irq
> number of a device under linux?  My modem and my onboard
> video card share "pin A routed to irq 10" according to

for the modem:

    $ setserial /dev/modem

"man setserial" for more info about how to change the irq.

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA apollo pro 133A
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:47:55 +0100

Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> (there doesn't seem to be a lot of chipsets
> for PIII that supports SMP and SDRAM)

ServerWorks has chipsets for PIII which supports 133 MHz SDRAM. Tyan and
SuperMicro has motherboards with those chipsets.

These motherboards are a little bit more "high-end". The come with
64-bit PCI slots and only a few of them have AGP slots.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo3 2000 pci
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:50:49 +0100

Matt Ng wrote:
> It gives an error regarding no mode defined for
> 1024x768, even though there are lines in my XF86Config file
> specifying that resolution.

Try to do "startx >& /tmp/log.txt" and then exit X. In /tmp/log.txt you
will probably find messages explaining which resolutions are usable and
why some resolutions are not. My guess is that you have entered to low
refresh rates for your monitor.

regards Henrik

From: "Jurph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3Com 3c509B ISA card Help, please...
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:04:08 -0000

I've got an old 386DX-33 that I'm starting to put Redhat 6 onto.  I'd like
to do an FTP install, but to do that, I need my 3c509B to be working.  I
have the driver, but I don't know what flags to set--autoprobe doesn't work
for ISA cards.  Does anyone know what flags/parameters I need to pass
during the install to get RedHat to see my card?  It's in the 5th ISA slot,
btw.

TIA,
jurph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Lucent AMR Modems?
Date: 7 Jan 2001 19:35:56 GMT

        There seems to be a lot of progress on Lucent WinModem drivers
for Linux these days.  However, will there be any for the Lucent AMR
WinModem users since these normally come with laptops.

------------------------------

From: "Brian Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA100 Drives and RH 7.0
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 08:58:21 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:45:07 GMT, Jeff Nicoll wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any problems with installing Red Hat 7.0 on a
>machine that has ATA100 hard drives.  The motherboard is an Asus A7V?

Yes, it won't work. You need to first install with the drive on the
ATA66 controller (I also found that I couldn't boot unless I set the
BIOS to force UDMA mode 2, ATA33 in other words).

Then, ether apply the linux-ide patches to a 2.2.1x kernel source tree,
or get the 2.4.0 kernel source, and compile in the appropriate VIA and
Promise support. Then after running /sbin.lilo, shut down, move the
drive to the ATA100 controller and hope that it works, you may need to
turn off the ATA66 controllers completely or pass the kernel some
parameters as the ATA100 controller will otherwise be seen as hde and
hdf and lilo can only boot it if told to do so.

--
Brian Morrison                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               to reply, change address from 'news' to 'bdm'

------------------------------

From: "Mike Gratis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Advice Needed - Partitioning New HD For Linux
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:54:11 -0500

    I'm getting ready to take the plunge and install Linux on my computer
(Caldera 2.4); but would like some advice regarding hard drive configuration
first.  I've presently got Windows ME installed on a 13.5 GB IBM drive.
I've just picked up a 2nd 46 GB IBM drive.  I'd given some thought to
putting W-ME on the 46 GB and Linux on the 13.5 GB; but I'm thinking that I
might not be using W-ME all that much after trying Linux (...though I've
been using computers since 1978, I've only been using Windows at home for  a
little less than 4 years -- And I've never been a big fan of it).  That
being so, now I'm thinking of just leaving the 13.5 GB as is and putting
Linux on the 46 GB.

    So, the question of the day is:  Besides the two partitions that'll be
created when I install Linux (Root & Swap), should I partition the drive any
more, or just go with the full 46 GB?  With Windows, it made sense to create
more partitions due to defragmentation & performance issues (...I have 3 on
my 13.5 GB); but from what I've been reading it looks like Linux avoids a
lot of those problems.  Though I try to read as much as I can before asking
questions, I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as this project
progresses.   :)    Any input is appreciated....

--
Mike Gratis

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual xeon problems
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 14:51:17 -0500

I apologize, but is there a universal way to determine if the memory is ECC?
I know that there are 2 512 MB SDRAM Toshiba PC100-222-620R modules, but I can't
find anything on the web about this memory being ECC.  I am trying memtest right
now.
What am I looking for with memtest?  Will the misc001 routine crash if it's bad
memory?
Ken