Linux-Hardware Digest #148, Volume #11           Tue, 31 Aug 99 16:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts! (John David Bowden)
  Partition Problems on a HardDisk (Laurie Robert Young)
  ess1868-1869audio drive (Curtis)
  Re: Dual Celeron (Eddie Corns)
  Re: Partition Problems on a HardDisk (Torleiv Flatebo Ringer)
  Re: Can't Do This Anymore. ("Louis")
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (Stuart Hall)
  intel 740i su red hat 6.0 ("Claude Brancatisano")
  Re: zip scsi interface real scsi? (Chris Webster)
  panasonic cd writer cw-7582-B (Nev Okyay)
  Re: Riva TNT (Roy Grimm)
  Re: CPU Comparison (Paul Robert Marino)
  Re: USR Sporster voicie 33.6 internal ????? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3C509 cards alive, but not working... (Sebastien Caille)
  Re: Device /dev/modem is locked. ("Matt Anderson")
  Re: help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: How do i get my Herculese Stringray 128/3d working with XF86? (Howard Mann)
  Re: ECC Memory? (J. Scott Berg)
  Re: Video Camera on Linux... (Mircea)
  Re: Matrox Marvel G200 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John David Bowden)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts!
Date: 31 Aug 1999 17:12:42 GMT

Gerson G. H. Cavalheiro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: > Your hd is dying.

: I'm not so sure...

: I started to experiment this problem *just* after to
: upgrade my system from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.5.

I've had the same problem -- *right* after upgrading from RH5.2 to RH6.0,
which ships with 2.2.5...

I had been using 5.2 with a 2.2.10 kernel I rolled myself after downloading
the tarball (2.2.3) and patches.

Maybe it's just coincidence; maybe not.

John

--
Clones are people two.
John Bowden                             Memorial University of Newfoundland

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Laurie Robert Young)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Partition Problems on a HardDisk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:14:06 GMT

Hi all

I have a 17gb Dimon Max Hard disk that is currently in 3 partitions

4Gb fat32 windows boot
9Gb fat32
4Gb e2fs linux boot

I have been having problems with the linux partition before - it kept
currupting - and not the 9Gb partiton lost half of its data druing a
windows crash

I had some problems when I first set up the drive

I partitoned at as above and installed windows which got most of the
way thoguh the install then died (no surprise there) and for a long
time after that I coulnd;t get dos FDisk to run - it just kep crashing
I fixed that by complete wiping the partiton table with linux PDisk a
couple of times and all seemed to be fine

however I had the problems as I descibe above

Now I want to put the drive into a linux server as the main (and
currently the only) drive - is there a way that I can compleatly wipe
the drive of all data and start it from new

also as the drive is so large are there any issues that I ought to be
aware of concering large drives?  The only one I know if is lilo - and
I will have a 20Mb /boot partiton at the beginning of the drive fo
this.

Any word of advice out there or pointers to HOWTOs that I should read
- as far as I know there isn;t a HOWTO on this issue -

Thanks

Laurie

------------------------------

From: Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: ess1868-1869audio drive
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:31:03 GMT

hi i have a ess 1869 sound cared and am having dificulties geting it to
work. it is rather strang because under windows it is an 1869 and under dos
it is a 1868 sound card if you think you can helt it would be much
aprechiated.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eddie Corns)
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron
Date: 31 Aug 1999 17:34:48 GMT

Minh Giang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:     I'm also trying to build a dual celeron on the Abit BP6, but when trying
>: to intall RH 6.0, it does see my UDMA-66 Harddrive on the 66-IDE port.  What's
>: the trick?  Any help or hint will be great

I presume that was a typo and you mean't _doesn't_.  Stick it in IDE1 is the
simple option.  I gave up trying to speak to the HPT-366 for the very boring
reason that debian doesn't support kernel version 2.2 yet.  Still, I'm
impresssed with the speed of this box.  I'm sure it only took 4 minutes to
recompile the kernel and it's way faster than the Sun Ultra's we have at work
(though they are being used by more people).  Though 'make -j' doesn't work
for some reason.

Eddie

------------------------------

From: Torleiv Flatebo Ringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:56:03 GMT
Subject: Re: Partition Problems on a HardDisk
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

>From what I rember, you will have problems if you put the Linux root=20
partition after the first 8G,which yours is. Try repartitioning so=20
that your second partition is Linux.=20

BTW Do you not have a swap partition?

On 8/31/99, 6:14:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Laurie Robert Young) wrote=20
regarding Partition Problems on a HardDisk:

------------------------------

From: "Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.apps.cdwrite
Subject: Re: Can't Do This Anymore.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:35:15 +0200

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: SASKATOON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Still using windows ? :) (so am i)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Hall)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:36:09 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:54:29 GMT, Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
so kindly spent valuable time writing:

>I don't know if you've already asked and got some replies, but the first
>thing to check is whether or not CPU EXTERNAL CACHE is enabled or
>disabled in the BIOS.  If it's disabled, that could cause CPU
>misdetection.  I can't think of anything else off hand that would even
>have a chance of causing it, but I promise to think on it again when I'm
>awake.
>       Greg

I disabled internal cache and enabled external cache last night and
cat /proc/cpuinfo worked perfectly!  I now have properly identified
chips and cache amounts.  Interestingly enough, though, the system
seems to run a little slower - doh!

When I boot from loadlin I got the uncompressing linux and the system
hung for about 20 seconds when usually it just rips right by that
notification.  Perhaps it was becuase it was the first time booting in
that configuration.  In any event I'll have to try again tonight.
Also, compiling the kernel seemed to take longer - again I'll have to
do some kind of 'time make bzImage' in both configurations however
that works to be sure.

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  fprintf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> My brand new dual pentium II system shows as Dual Celeron (Covington)
>in
>> my /proc/cpuinfo.  As requested I am enclosing my cpuinfo and dmesg
>output
>> in hopes that someone can help identify a) why my CPUs are being
>> incorrectly identified and b) why it is showing as having no cache
>> available.
>>
>> I have kernel 2.2.7 from the SuSE 6.1 distribution and I have enabled
>SMP
>> via a kernel recompile.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stuart
>> Cheshire, CT USA
>>
>[snipped to save the net]

----
Stuart Hall
Cheshire, Connecticut, USA
* return address:  f p r i n t f @ i n a m e . c o m *
or

From: "Claude Brancatisano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: intel 740i su red hat 6.0
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:29:42 +0200

Ou peut-on trouver les drivers de la carte video Intel 740i ?
sinon que faire, avant de la jeter ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Webster)
Subject: Re: zip scsi interface real scsi?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 15:32:39 GMT

We have an adaptec something SCSI card, which has an internal Ultra-wide,
an external Ultr-wide, and an internal narrow.  We can only use 2 of the
3 connecters.

--Chris

        * WARNING: consumption of alcohol is the leading cause of
          inexplicable rug burns on the forehead.

------------------------------

From: Nev Okyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: panasonic cd writer cw-7582-B
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:53:32 -0700

greetings-
has anybody been able to use this IDE drive under linux?  during boot,
these are the messages
I see:

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 09
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: q, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 18) drive
hda: IRQ probe failed (0)
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

it looks like it is not able to recognize this device as ATAPI device.
one peculiar part
of this message is BIOS settings.  is there something I need to do with
BIOS settings to
get this drive to be recognized?    can you please help with this?
thanks,
- nev

------------------------------

From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:08:23 -0500

robinsonr@NOSPAM, sprint.ca wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:15:37 -0700, "Bradley Bye"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I have the files from Nvidia's web sight.  How exactly do I install
> them?  I can unarchive the file into a directory, but I do not know
> how to get the script to run.  I am sure there is an easy answer, I
> have just not stumbled across it.

You log in as root (or just "su" from any prompt) and run the script.  I
don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it's the file
that has "install" in the name.  Just change to the directory you
unloaded the files into, type a "./" without the quotes and then the
script name and hit enter.  The script will prompt you for a few
things.  If you did a standard installation, just hit enter when it asks
you for the destination (it will correctly assume the default location).

Then, all you need to do is run xf86config (did I spell that right?) or
Xconfigurator to set it up.  Just use the standard SVGA driver and
you're set. I got mine running under RH 6.0 in about 2 minutes once I
had downloaded the files.

Hope that helps,
Roy

--
I'm not a good artist but I am good at drawing a blank.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:57:50 -0500
From: Paul Robert Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU Comparison

Bradley Dunn wrote:

> It there was not such thing as am AMD.. you would not have any P II PIII or
> "Celery"........ AMD does nothing put push Intel to make faster chips while
> they lower their prices... and by the way.. AMD is not faster than Intel...
> ever heard of the Athalon or the K7????????
>
> try www.tomshardware.com
> or sysopt.com
>
> AMD ROCKS
> Brad
> Robert J. Sprawls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the difference between the Celeron, PII, PIII, and
> > Xeon? I was on the intel site, but got tired of wading through the
> > hype. I just want a meat and potatoes comparison of these CPU's for a
> > future purchase. Is there a web site that cuts through all this and
> > give an honest discussion? AMDs, while not really a serious option,
> > would still be looked at.
> >
> > Robert

I built two systems with SuSE Linux 6.1
I wanted to test the difference in speed between an AMD K6-2 and a
Pentium II
the First was was a dell optiplex with a pentium II 400 MHz and 128 Mb
of ram
the second was a clone i built my self with an Asus P5s-vm motherboard
an AMD K6-2 400 MHz with 128 Mb of ram

to make the test as fair as possible i installed identical western
digital hard drives in the two systems

after all of my recompiling was done i found that the AMD system was
approximately 1 and 1/2 times as fast as the Pentium II system at
performing the same functions in side by side comparisons.

as for your question the Celleron is basically a chopped down pentium II
and the differences between the pentium II and III are negligible for
linux systems the only major difference between the two is yet an other
instruction set added to the chip however just like MMX the software has
to support it and i don't know of any linux software that does and the
other difference is the Mhz are higher on a Pentium III

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USR Sporster voicie 33.6 internal ?????
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:24:52 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:54:12 -0700, Don Grafton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>such wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I'm trying to install my 33,6 baud internal modem under linux and it doesn't
>> work
>> It's not a winmodem , it's a sporster voice 33,6 internal
>> HELP PLEASE
>> how can I make it work ???
>> thank you
>
>Hi,
>    I wound up changing the jumpers on my USR 33.6 Voice Modem to the settings
>that I wanted and then on the BIOS (AWARD) settings changed the PNP settings
>for the port (COM2) and IRQ so that PNP would not reset them.  After that I had
>no trouble getting Linux setup to recognize the modem.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Don Grafton

Tell me this!  What is your stall rate on JAVA?  Getting something to
connect is easy,  bringing it to speed is another, your process sounds
about as weak as a smoker with cancer!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:49:12 +0200
From: Sebastien Caille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3C509 cards alive, but not working...

Brian Fritz wrote:

> I picked up a couple of second hand 3C509 NIC's a few weeks back and at
> first, they both worked great. I'd planned to use one of them in a firewall
> bridge configuration.

> [cut]
>
> Any idea of what's going on?

Hi,
it could be an irq conflict with some other devices (especially pci ones)
The driver does not complain if the card's irq is already in use,
but it usually produce some stange behaviours.

Hope it helps

--
If you see Chrismas Father, please tell him that
   the gift I want this year is Peace and Love on earth

------------------------------

From: "Matt Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Device /dev/modem is locked.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:54:18 -0400

First look in (this might be the wrong spot, i am sorry but i am on my win
box and can't look this up right now) but try /etc/ppp/options.  edit this
file and remove the line 'lock'.  should clear it right up.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with col2.2 and q3test on nvidia's drivers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:04:04 +0200

DMFiend wrote:
> when I try to run q3test on my col2.2 sytem using a viper770ultra and
> nvidia's drivers I get the following:
> WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 byte aligned
> .... setting mode 3: 640 480
> Error couldn't open the x display
> .... WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
> then it looks for the voodoo driver instead and fails

I would guess on two possible explanations:

1) You don't have X running or the DISPLAY isn't set.
If this is the problem, try to start X and start the game from an xterm.

2) q3test might not be compatible with your card.
>From the file README.Linux which were included with q3test:

There is no software-only version of the game. If your computer is not
hardware accelerated with a game compatible graphics card, you will NOT
be able to run Q3Test. Currently, 3DFX based cards are the only
tested compatible cards.

It doesn't say that your card won't work, but it almost sounds as if
only 3dfx cards will work.

Sorry, theory 2 is not any solution to your problem, but maybe it is the
explanation.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do i get my Herculese Stringray 128/3d working with XF86?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:31:03 GMT

John Porra wrote:
> I am new to Linux, and have a Herculese Stingray 128/3D card.  I'm
trying
> to get it to work with Caldera Openlinux 2.2 and am having terrible
> troubles.
>
> Has anyone got any tips for getting this thing to work?
>
> Thanks in advance.

This card uses the 3Dfx Voodoo Rush chipset.

Peruse this page for more information :

http://glide.xxedgexx.com/hardware.html

Cheers,

Howard Mann.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Scott Berg)
Subject: Re: ECC Memory?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 16:57:48 GMT

In article <7qf61g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dan Star  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am getting a new system and am wondering if I should pay more to get
>ECC Memory.  Is it really needed in a system that will be used only by
>one person?

I have a system that was built by a local vendor using an FIC
motherboard.  The system is up 24/7, and every couple of months it
picks up a 1-bit memory error in a cached executable; the only way to
get the executable to run again is to reboot.

>From this experience, I would suggest that ECC becomes important when
you have a machine with long uptimes (or, as another poster indicated,
when the machines accuracy is critical for some reason).  Personally,
I would probably get it in all cases in the future.
--
J. Scott Berg                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
3025 E. Amy Ln.                    (812) 339-8368

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video Camera on Linux...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:54:40 -0400

Gandolf wrote:

> Has anyone been successful in attaching either a parallel port or
> USB port based video camera to a Linux system ?  I am interested in
> which, what software/drivers and what it took to pull it off.
> Pls rply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thanks.

http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/Macromol/wedemann/mini-HOWTO-cqcam.html

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Matrox Marvel G200
Date: 31 Aug 1999 15:26:19 +0100

Andreas Schmitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyone got an idea how to get this card to work under linux? I just tried
> using the SVGA-Server (with the other Matrox chips like Millenium G200
> etc.), but it didn't work. I thought about a commercial solution, but I
> didn't find anything about it. Has anyone got this to work?

I think it should work with XFree86 3.3.4 (hey, even my G400 worked).

Hope this helps!

--
Alain Borel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>