Linux-Hardware Digest #151, Volume #11           Tue, 31 Aug 99 23:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Installing a second ISA Ethernet Card (Alex Taylor)
  Re: CPU Comparison (David Ripton)
  General Question about CDR and CD-RW recording (Jason Bond)
  Re: SCSI errors implying drive is spinning down (David C.)
  IBM PS/1 Install ("KBS")
  Re: zero-length partition, input/output error, couldn't "mv" directory name.
couldn't e2fsck. (Andries Brouwer)
  Re: Optiquest V95 under Linux ("Andrew Chan")
  Re: Riva TNT (Michael Wellman)
  Re: Problems with setting up a EZ2000(NE2000 compatiable ) network card on Linux
("Tony")
  Re: WinModems (Darryl Bryant)
  Re: Multipoint protocol? ("John S. Giltner, Jr.")
  Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do i get my Herculese Stringray 128/3d working with XF86? ("Brent Willcox")
  Re: Creative Labs 3D Blaster Savage 4 and RH 6.0 ("rob")
  Re: How to identify winmodem (Mike Martin)
  Installing Linux on BE6 with UDMA66 drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Device /dev/modem is locked. (Michael Starkie)
  Parallel port won't enable... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: General Question about CDR and CD-RW recording (Mircea)
  Can't hear the voice in CD-Player for SoundBlaster PCI 128. (Jack)
  Re: ECC Memory? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro? (Shawn D'alimonte)
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (Michel Catudal)
  Console Lockup

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Taylor)
Subject: Re: Installing a second ISA Ethernet Card
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:34:52 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:42:40, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am planning on installing a second ethernet card in my 486 machine
> (probably a 3COM card).  This is an ISA based machine.  I intend to use
> this as a router/access-sharing/firewall machine for my cable-modem
> hookup (That I am patiently waiting for.)  I have forgotten all the
> issues about installing a second Ethernet ISA card in a ISA based
> machine.  Does anyone know of a web site or document on the internet
> that details the hardware installation of a multi-ethernet card
> configuration in an ISA bus machine, that also documents how you
> configure Linux to recognize the second ethernet card?

The Ethernet HOWTO includes a helpful section on this.  It seems to
be basically just a matter of passing both I/O addresses as parameters
to the driver module.  (At least, that's all it was with two NE2000
clones in my case.)

 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~alex

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ripton)
Subject: Re: CPU Comparison
Date: 31 Aug 1999 22:27:20 GMT

Paul Robert Marino  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I built two systems with SuSE Linux 6.1
>I wanted to test the difference in speed between an AMD K6-2 and a
>Pentium II
>the First was was a dell optiplex with a pentium II 400 MHz and 128 Mb
>of ram
>the second was a clone i built my self with an Asus P5s-vm motherboard
>an AMD K6-2 400 MHz with 128 Mb of ram
>
>to make the test as fair as possible i installed identical western
>digital hard drives in the two systems
>
>after all of my recompiling was done i found that the AMD system was
>approximately 1 and 1/2 times as fast as the Pentium II system at
>performing the same functions in side by side comparisons.

If your conclusion is that the K6-2 is generally faster than the
Pentium II, you didn't run a wide enough variety of tests.

Which processor is faster depends highly on what you're running.
A K6-2 has a faster integer core than a Pentium II.  The Pentium II
has a better floating point unit.  The Pentium II has faster L2
cache, and recent Pentium IIs have a higher memory bus speed.

Of course, AMD has since narrowed the gap with the K6-III then
blown by Intel with the Athlon.

>as for your question the Celleron is basically a chopped down pentium II
>and the differences between the pentium II and III are negligible for
>linux systems the only major difference between the two is yet an other
>instruction set added to the chip however just like MMX the software has
>to support it and i don't know of any linux software that does and the
>other difference is the Mhz are higher on a Pentium III

Yeah.  Specifically, the original Celerons have no L2 cache, the later
Celerons have 128K of full-speed L2 cache, and the Pentium II/III have
512K of half-speed L2 cache.  No cache is bad, but more vs. faster
cache is a tradeoff and which is better depends on what you're running.

--
David Ripton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: General Question about CDR and CD-RW recording
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:00:35 -0700

I just bought a new CD-RW and had a few question about the process of
recording cd's.

1)  Can one record on a CD-RW disk in more than just session?  That is,
can I record a track; stop; and then come
back at a later time and record another track on the same CD-RW disk
without writing over the first track?

2)  Can the same be done for CD-R disks?  Or does
the buring all have to be done in the same session?

3)  Which is the best program to use for cd buring?

Thanks much,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: SCSI errors implying drive is spinning down
Date: 31 Aug 1999 12:13:39 -0400

dnd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Using a RH 6.0 (2.2.11) Netserver LC3 with with an adaptec aic7880,
> and added a new D4289a 9.1G drive.
>
> Since doing that, once every week or two he'll get scsi errors pointing
> to this new drive during/after a system backup. fsck is perforemed, then
> it is OK for a while. All relevant hardware has been replaced, drive,
> cables, etc.

What are the cable lengths?  Are they within the interface limits?

If the SCSI bus is running at 10M (or 20M Fast/Wide), then all cables on
the bus should be under 6m (19.6').

If the bus is 20M Ultra-SCSI, the limit is 3m (9.8').

If the bus is 40M Ultra-Wide SCSI, the limit is 1.5m (4.9')

If the bus is Ultra2, the limit is huge (12m, or 39.3'), but if there
are any non-Ultra2 devices on the bus, it will fall back to Ultra or
Ultra-Wide, and you'll be subject to those length limits.

Measure your cables.  If you have any external devices on the same bus,
be sure to include that cable length, plus whatever cabling is inside
the external boxes.  If the total length exceeds the limit, try getting
shorter cables, or move some devices to another bus, or configure the
bus to run at a slower speed.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "KBS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM PS/1 Install
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:13:21 -0400

I'm very new to the world of Linux.

I have an old IBM PS/1 486dx2; 66 Mhz; 720 Mb Hard Drive; 8 Mb RAM; Quad
Speed CD-ROM.  Is it worth my while to get a distribution of Linux to
install on this machine as it is?   (What I've read about the newest version
of SuSE makes that distribution sound very appealing to me.)   Would I be
better off upgrading the hard drive and RAM right off the bat?   I would
hate to put money into this machine only to find that there are issues that
prevent it from being useful.  Do you know where I can find out about Linux
issues specific to this machine?   This machine has proprietary AT slots.

Won't finding the appropriate drivers be a major headache?

I'm excited about exploring Linux, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm
getting into.

Thanks for your thoughts.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: zero-length partition, input/output error, couldn't "mv" directory name.
couldn't e2fsck.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:08:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lyndon F. Bartels) writes:

: Aug 26 22:26:49 gl1500 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 2
: Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
: return code = 28000002
: Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: extra data not valid Current error sd08:21:
: sense key Not Ready
: Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: Additional sense indicates Logical unit not
: ready, manual intervention required
: Aug 26 22:27:26 gl1500 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 2

This does not sound at all like a partition problem.
Maybe you have a rotten disk, or bad SCSI cables, or bad termination -
a hardware problem.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Optiquest V95 under Linux
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:19:19 +0900

Edwin,

I was using the Optiquest V95 with Red Hat 5.0 last year and everything was
just great.  No problems as it can do the amazing 1600x1200. (although a bit
hard to see at that resolution).

Andrew

=====================================
Andrew Chan
Epson Software Development, Ueda, Japan
Fax and Voice Message : +1(914)612-5379

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:15:23 GMT

> I have the files from Nvidia's web sight.  How exactly do I install
> them?  I can unarchive the file into a directory, but I do not know
> how to get the script to run.  I am sure there is an easy answer, I
> have just not stumbled across it.

Put this before the script name: ./

example: I want to execute a a script called runme,

./runme

If there is a command that you want to execute that is not on your=20
path you'll have to precede it with ./ or you can place . On your=20
path.

To see whats on your path type env

Among other things you'll see: PATH=3Da bunch of directories.  Any=20
executable file in any directory you see will execute by just typing=20
it out.

If you want to add a new directory you must edit the file=20
.bash_profile=20

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with setting up a EZ2000(NE2000 compatiable ) network card on
Linux
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:22:22 +1000

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I do not really know how to use the insmod, when i go

cd /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net

and type in

insmod ne.o

I get

ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
ne.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_debug
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
ne.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init
ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_close

I get the same when I type

insmod ne2k-pci.o

When I type

cd /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net

modprobe -v *

I get

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/X
                           /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/X: init_module:
Device or resource busy

for each X = 8390.o, 3c509.c,3c515.o,3c59x.o

Thanks for the help

Tony

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Darryl Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WinModems
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:44:41 +1000

Jack wrote:

> Hi,
> I agree with you. there are so many winmodem, so why is there no driver for
> linux?

1. they cannot be bothered to, they make their money from windoze

2. every brand of winmodems are different, even models from the same
manufacturer would have differences.

dAz

------------------------------

From: "John S. Giltner, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Multipoint protocol?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:01:59 -0400

What kind of sync board is it?
What is this "hub" like device you have?

I am new to Linux, however does the board, and Linux,  support X.25 or Frame Relay?
With X.25 or Frame relay you can setup a vitual circut (VC) between each of the
computers you want to talk.  You can send IP over X.25 or
Frame Relay.

You make it sound as if you have this working now.  If so, how does you have it setup
now.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,hk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:10:26 +0000

Gavin Rogers wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I created a boot disk out of the disk image provided by my Mandrake RH
> > 6.0 CDRom... When the 486 is booted with the boot disk, the partition
> > check always give a bunch of error messages:
>
> > Partition Check:
> > hda/hda: status error: status=0x01 {error}
> > hda/hda: status error: status=0x04 {DiskStatuserror}
> > Drive not ready for command
>
> More than likely, the hard disk drive in your computer is starting to fail.
> Try your computer with a different hard disk.
>
> ---
>                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                http://www.omen.com.au/~grogers
>                         ICQ: 17230395

I have gotten messages similar to that when using hdparm trying to get 32bit
transfer w/sync, but when it resets, all is well.

------------------------------

From: "Brent Willcox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: How do i get my Herculese Stringray 128/3d working with XF86?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:42:33 -0500

------------------------------

From: "rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs 3D Blaster Savage 4 and RH 6.0
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:54:05 -0500

rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7qhipa$1go$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>
> The Savage 4 is a relatively new card, I know, but has anyone either
> succeeded in making this combination work, or seen any drivers?  I am
having
> a very hard time getting this thing to work.  Please let me know if anyone
> knows about this card.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

by the way, I forgot to put my email address.

From: Mike Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to identify winmodem
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:12:29 -0500

OK.....

        Very simply put.
ZOOM model 2919 56k dule mode kflex/V.90 modem ISA
Features: PnP disable jumper
          IRQ and COM jumpers.
Any questions?

Mike Martin  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Running on Linux Redhat 6.0 2.2.5
Shadow's Web Creations & Computer Consultants
"A day's not complete without getting into a little trouble."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing Linux on BE6 with UDMA66 drive
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:36:36 GMT

I want to install Linux on my box with an Abit BE6 with the HPT366
controller and a Western Digital UDMA66 drive.  Right now I have Win98
on the 1st partition (5005Mb), NT4.0 on the 2nd partition (2000Mb), and
I want to install Linux on a 3rd partition still under the 8Gb
boundary.  What is the best way to get Linux on this machine and use
(boot from) the HPT366 controller?  I have the RedHat6 distribution,
but it does not seem to acknowledge the HPT366 controller.  What would
you recomend.  Thank you in Advance.

From: Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Device /dev/modem is locked.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:38:26 -0400

John McKown wrote:

> What what little I know of this, Linux "locks" the modem by creating
> a file on the HD. On my RedHat 6.0 system, this is the file:
>
> /var/lock/LCK..modem
>
> possibly you had an uncontrolled shutdown which left this file on the HD.
> If you are sure that nobody is using the modem, you can remove this file
> by logging in as root and "rm /var/lock/LCK..modem". If you want to be
> really safe, do this and then reboot. It the file "reappears" then I'd
> look at my startup scripts. The only thing that I run which uses this
> file is minicom and ppp. So if you keep your ppp connection active all
> the time, this will cause the modem to be "locked". There are some other
> things which do this as well, such a uucp, but I doubt that you are
> using them.
>
> I hope this was of some help to you,
> John

       I hear my modem dialing after I boot linux. I think this might be
PPP.  I only want to run PPP when I issue net traffic, not at boot time.
Where in my  startup scipts do I shut this off?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Parallel port won't enable...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 01:33:30 GMT

I have a RH 5.2 workstation with an HP LJ 6L printer.

I can't get the printer port enabled.  At installation time, none of
lp0, lp1 or lp2 were autorecognized.

dmesg gives the message:

lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.

lpc status yields:

lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        4 entries in spool area
        waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

I assume that something is conflicting with activation of the parallel
port but can not image what...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: General Question about CDR and CD-RW recording
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:20:14 -0400

Jason Bond wrote:

> I just bought a new CD-RW and had a few question about the process of
> recording cd's.
>
> 1)  Can one record on a CD-RW disk in more than just session?  That is,
> can I record a track; stop; and then come
> back at a later time and record another track on the same CD-RW disk
> without writing over the first track?
>
> 2)  Can the same be done for CD-R disks?  Or does
> the buring all have to be done in the same session?
>
> 3)  Which is the best program to use for cd buring?

Replies to all your questions, and many more, are at:
http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/html/

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack)
Subject: Can't hear the voice in CD-Player for SoundBlaster PCI 128.
Date: 1 Sep 1999 01:23:27 GMT

Hi,
I have the same problem with SoundBlaster PCI 128. I can run Winamp and can
hear the audio, but I can't heard the voice of CD play.
I run the esd command in Xterm and it tell me it already exist.
What's the KDA? the KDE audio mixer?
Thank you very much!

Jack

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ECC Memory?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:58:04 -0500

J. Scott Berg wrote:

> I have a system that was built by a local vendor using an FIC
> motherboard.  The system is up 24/7, and every couple of months it
> picks up a 1-bit memory error in a cached executable; the only way to
> get the executable to run again is to reboot.

Does the program actually run constantly, or does it just get to keep the
cache due to lack of competition?  In the latter case you might be able to
bump it out of cache by running some kind of hog program for a few
minutes.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Shawn D'alimonte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: external USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:40:04 GMT

A. Teutonico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> does anyone know wether the US Robotics 56K external Voice Faxmodem
> Pro,
> is working under Linux?

> If it is, anything special to get it to that point or is it working
> ootb?

I have a similar modem (No voice) and the only problem I had is that the
init string should be at&f1.  I first tried at&f which was wrong, even
though it works for every other modem I have used (GVC and Motorola 14.4
and 28.8) .

BTW This is on an Amiga running Linux/m68k but that shouldn't mater.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 21:27:03 -0500

Dave Brown wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michel Catudal wrote:
> >Tim Izod wrote:
> >>
> >>         Or in preference, use the ALSA driver
> >> (http://www.alsa-project.org or look on freshmeat). The ALSA drivers
> >> are free, they're GPL and IMHO they sound better. Plus you get
> >> /dev/dsp support if you compile them with OSS support. The reasons why
> >
> >They are actually a pain in the ass to install. I read thru the doc
> >and flushed the file. Too much shit to do just to get a stupid
>
> I tried to do the ALSA drivers.  After downloading and attempting to
> compile, it needed some libraries and/or tools that weren't installed.
> After installing the needed libraries and tools and successfully compiling
> and installing, ---they didn't work!   I've decided that sound is just
> not worth it!
>
> --
> Dave Brown   Austin, TX

Actually the sound works good on Linux with the proper driver.
The 4Front drivers work well and it is only $20 or you can get
a free version for ISA cards with SuSE.

One thing that annoyed me with Alsa was the note to the effect that
there was core dumps if you try to run quake. Who knows what else
core dumps. Someday they'll get it fixed but until then we have
nothing unless we get the 4-Front software.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Console Lockup
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:31:07 GMT

I am currently running the 2.2.12 kernel under Slackware 4.0 and my
machine locks up whenever I try to switch between virtual terminals at
the console.  I have tried removing video related options from the
kernel (such as frame buffer device support), but I've had no luck
resolving the problem.  I get lockups with the 2.2.12 kernel (with and
without SMP support), 2.2.6 and 2.2.10.  Those are the three I've
been using.  I installed with the 2.2.10 kernel on a boot disk and had
no problems.  But using that same disk, I get lockups (maybe it was
just luck before).  Here's a description of my machine:  Epox KP6-BS
Dual motherboard, 2 PII400 cpu's, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage Fury, SB Live,
Linksys 10/100 (LNE100TX ver.2, with new tulip driver), Aopen DVD,
and my hard drive is partitioned with 2 GB /, 4 GB /usr, 500MB Swap.

I get the complete system lockup if I try to switch terminals
regardless if I'm just logged in or if I've logged in 2 hours previously.  I am not
running X yet.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com