Linux-Hardware Digest #160, Volume #11            Wed, 1 Sep 99 22:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Installing Linux on a notebook ("Justin W. Williams")
  Re: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86 (Roy Grimm)
  WTB: hds xterms (Gary Langthorne)
  Modem Motorola ("philippe")
  Re: 3C509 cards alive, but not working... (A Guy Called Tyketto)
  Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error (Stewart Hector)
  Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet? ("M. Thomas Frederiksen")
  Re: Device /dev/modem is locked. (Spike!)
  Re: Riva TNT ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Re: SB 128 (NuB2Linux)
  Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions (RedWordSmith)
  Promise EIDE 2300+ Setup? (Roger Ehrlich)
  Re: Sound in Linux (Clive DaSilva)
  Re: ATI 3D RAGE FURY 128 ("Russ Johnson")
  Re: Repeated crashs after CPU fan change (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Any DVD players for Linux (Nick Bower)
  abit BE6 motherboard (David McMullen)
  Re: where do I learn... (John Thompson)
  Tecra 520CDT and IrDA (Walter Hofmann)
  Re: Device /dev/modem is locked. (Torleiv Flatebo Ringer)
  Re: powermac G4 announced ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Re: Any DVD players for Linux (Murray Todd Williams)
  Re: USB intellimouse in Linux (John Thompson)

From: "Justin W. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on a notebook
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:26:52 -0500

Tomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I would like to install Linux as a second operating system on my Toshiba
> Sattelite 2520CDS notebook (AMD K6-2 300 processor).
> Will this give any problems for configuring the system for Linux?
> Where can I find the necessary drivers?

I installed Red Hat 6 on my Toshiba 2545CDS without much trouble.  Just make
sure you have your manual (for Video Refresh Rates) and your sound card info
(Can be achieved from Windows9x System Command in Control Panel).

The only thing that really sucks is that the modem is a *shudder* WinModem.
I have heard that the Toshiba Engineering guys are developing Linux drivers
for Toshiba Laptops, but I have not seen anything as of yet.  Hopefully it
will come true.

----
Justin W. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cyberpunks.net/
"Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it
kills them." -- Jean-Paul Sartre

------------------------------

From: Roy Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:36:09 -0500

John Vriniotis wrote:

> When I run XF86Config, I setup my mouse and keyboard with no problem.
> When it comes time to choose my vide card, I choose the ATI 3D Rage
> Pro that is on the list.  This makes my default Xwindows server the
> MACH64 (which makes sense).  I then configure my monitor manually
> (H-freq. 30.0-69.0  and V-freq 50.0-160.0)

Personally, when running Red Hat 6.0, I use Xconfigurator.  It's a bit
more automated than XF86Config.  It had no trouble setting up for my ATI
Xpert and monitor.  I don't have the config file any more since I
installed the TNT based Viper 770.  When I did that, I copied their
XF86_SVGA file to the directory, reran Xconfigurator and it went right
in.

FWIW,
Roy

--
I'm not a good artist but I am good at drawing a blank.

------------------------------

From: Gary Langthorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WTB: hds xterms
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:42:29 +0000

 Looking for some hds xterms labeled ultra or dual with video in option
boards installed...

  Please email with more info

--

===============================
 Quest Jewellery Manufacturing     Quality Handcrafted Sterling Earrings

  Commercial and/or unsolicited email and/or spam will be processed at
   a $500 handling fee. Unsolicited sending constitutes acceptance.

------------------------------

From: "philippe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Motorola
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:47:17 +1000

Hello,

I have a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone internal Modem and i am wondering if
it is compatible with RedHat 5.2, because i can not do anything with it
while trying to configure PPP.
I know the Motorola SRFR 56 Modem is not compatible,
but does the one I have belong to this family ? And if yes, is any update
avalaible anywhere ?

Thanks in advance
Philippe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Subject: Re: 3C509 cards alive, but not working...
Date: 1 Sep 1999 14:38:02 -0500

------------------------------

From: Stewart Hector <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:24:03 +0000

==============6CB55CF25A0181A9485106C6

use kppp as the root is the quickest method.
alternatively, if you have redhat linux you can change the com port your using
via linuxconf.
I believe ttys3 is com port 4, so if you change the permission rights to
include your user name (or pppusers) etc,
then ppp won't die on you.
Also, change PPP permissions also using linuxconfig, and you'll be ok - no more
changing to root to dial up.

--
Stewart
ICQ: 5308166

The last time I cried, I could see the people
Long ago in the rain
Waiting as the soldiers put them all on a  train
And the hands on the bars, the eyes full of tears
And the word is the same, for a thousand years,
Eli Eli Lama, Oh Lord, you have forsaken me...
CdeB - The Last Time I Cried

==============6CB55CF25A0181A9485106C6

use kppp as the root is the quickest method.
your using via linuxconf.
rights to include your user name (or pppusers) etc,
be ok - no more changing to root to dial up.
I do have
The file contains
the user,
with the
Now I'm

<pre>--
Stewart
ICQ: 5308166
<A
HREF="http://freespace.virgin.net/s.hector/index.htm">http://freespace.virgin.net/s.hector/index.htm</A>

The last time I cried, I could see the people
Long ago in the rain
Waiting as the soldiers put them all on a&nbsp; train
And the hands on the bars, the eyes full of tears
And the word is the same, for a thousand years,
Eli Eli Lama, Oh Lord, you have forsaken me...
CdeB - The Last Time I Cried
=================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "M. Thomas Frederiksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?
Date: 01 Sep 1999 17:37:04 PDT

I'm ready to buy a new box and am looking hard at the new Athlon.  I
haven't been able to find any word on whether Linux works on Athlon or
not.  Anybody tried it yet?  If so, what motherboard/chipset?

If you want to send email, please send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Frederiksen,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (which is not the email address on this posting -- sorry!)

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Device /dev/modem is locked.
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:21:14 +0100

And verily, didst Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
>        I hear my modem dialing after I boot linux. I think this might be
> PPP.  I only want to run PPP when I issue net traffic, not at boot time.
> Where in my  startup scipts do I shut this off?

Do you have diald activated?

Dial on demand is a pain in the **** as far as I'm concerned...
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS......"     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "I'm afraid no-one's in at the moment, but if  |
|             in            |  you leave your rank and colour, we'll destroy |
|      Computer Science     |  you as soon as we get back..."- The Preventers|
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Riva TNT
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:29:19 -0500

I seem to be stuck trying to get redhat running on my viper 770 (Riva TNT).
As of now all I seem to have is 8 bit depth with a giant gnome footprint in
the middle of my screen (600 and something x 600 and something). I have
installed the file from nvidia but seen unable to get the config file set up
properly.

My question is what option concurring bit depth (16 or 24) and resolution
should I be trying? My monitor is a high end 21" job that should be able to
do 1280x1024 at 24 bit fairly easily.

If anyone could foreword be a copy of their config file I could compare a
working config file to my non-working config file.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

------------------------------

From: NuB2Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB 128
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:31:04 GMT

Belay my last.. When RH 6 arrived for me, I've had no problems what so
ever.. Thanks for anyone who was going to reply..  Jeff

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (RedWordSmith)
Subject: Re: $299 linux pc hardware questions
Date: 2 Sep 1999 00:49:00 GMT

Many eons ago, on Wed 01 Sep 1999 06:03:09p,
"[EMAIL PROTECTED] (quick)" wrote the following on a piece
of paper marked "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" and put it
in an envelope addressed to comp.os.linux.hardware

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Hey All,
>>
>> www.buypogo.com
>>
>The only question that is realy burnning is ... where's the modem?
>given that most of us still have to go doun the phone line, one
>might want one. (cable, ISDN, xDSL or anything else can not be had
>for love nor money in this town, say thank you very F*^$%NG much
>GTE (a personal peve of mine and I will expand if prompted ;-))
>All and all though, you all got me on the price end.
>
>Good luck

Going through the "extra" options on the Decaf model, I noticed an
External 56k available.  Wish there was some more information, but I
can't afford a new computer right now, not even a cheap one. :)

One other thing I noticed: not that many people would go for it
anyway, but is Pogo actually charging $110 just to partion a hard
drive for Dual boot? o_O

--
Nic (RedWord)Smith

------------------------------

From: Roger Ehrlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Promise EIDE 2300+ Setup?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:46:53 -0400

Hi

I've worked with Linux before, but am new to its installation.

I'm wanting to install RedHat Linux v4.1 on a i486DX2-66 system. The
motherboard BIOS
does not support EIDE only IDE (1 channel).

I have a Promise EIDE 2300+ Vesa LB controller card with onboard BIOS
that I'd like to use
with my 1.6GB hard drive.

I could not find info on this card in the Linux Hardware Compatibility
HOWTO file.

Anyone experienced in using this card?

Will RedHat Linux work with this card in using its EIDE BIOS to
supercede the IDE BIOS on
the motherboard? Do I need a particular driver?

How about installing Linux using this card with its EIDE BIOS active
right from the start?

Thanks for all/any help.

Roger.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clive DaSilva)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound in Linux
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:40:03 GMT

Ying

You could try the OSS sound drivers (www.opensounds.net). the install
usualy identifies and configures ur sound card, automatically. Prob is
, it costs $20

Ying <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a computer based on IWill's LE370 motherboard with an onboard

>Aureal 8820 soundchip. I tried Suse 6.1 and Redhat 6.0 - both runs well

>but  can't configure sound. E-mail to Iwill and A3D were not replied -

>what can I do?  -  (Worse case - disable the sound chip on board and buy a

>compatible  soundcard........!!!!!). Thanks in advance.

>Regards - YP

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Clive DaSilva CMA
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage: http://www.Geocities.com/Broadway/2207

------------------------------

From: "Russ Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI 3D RAGE FURY 128
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:51:23 -0700

You have to use the frame buffer server with the rage 128 chipset. I do, and
it works well for what I do.

Russ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Repeated crashs after CPU fan change
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:10:02 GMT

Guillaume Filion ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: I change my CPU fan and my BIOS battery three days ago on my Linux 120 Mhz
: server Box, and in three days, I got two crashs (on Linux)... The crashs
: were like:
: Kernel Panic, or
: Complete freeze of tty, or
: Impossible to log-in (error was: Too much fragmentation (or something like
: that))
:
: The only way to reboot was to hit the reset button on the Box, and then I
: got those kind of errors:
: 'Boot sequence corrupted, giving up', or
: 'Kernel currupted, impossible to uncompress', or
: Not even a LILO boot!
:
: The solution is relatively easy, I just shut-off the computer for about
: half an hour, and start it again: I boot like if nothing had never
: hapenned (except for the disk check forced).
:
: As you can see this is a strange problem, and I'm about sure this is
: hardware related, but I don't know what hardware. Could someone point me
: what is wrong?

I'd start with the new fan.  Is it still running?  Is it similar to the old
one?  What about the heat sink - same size or larger than the old one?  Heat
sink thermal compound between the cpu and the heatsink?

What about the fan in the power supply?  Is it still running?

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Nick Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Any DVD players for Linux
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:48:39 -0500

> Does anyone know of any software DVD players available for Linux,
> or at least any that are in development ?

i heard there's none available so far because the DVD encoding &
protection can't be released to open source.  someone may correct me
there.  maybe someone else knows if any are in development?  it'll be a
commercial product i suppose.

nick

------------------------------

From: David McMullen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: abit BE6 motherboard
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:50:34 -0500

Is there anyone using an Abit BE6 motherboard with a pentium III 450?
Just curious?

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: where do I learn...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:56:27 -0600

"¥ The _Veracity ¥" wrote:

> please some one tell me the secret to linux.......

Hey; there is no secret; linux is "open source," remember?
:-)

> or tell me what is a good
> book to read about doing the router thing and proxy thing and stuff like
> that with linux unix or any other *nix system...thanks I need some light
> reading and don't really want to spend the next ten years deciphering thing
> system...thanks..larry

"Running Linux" from O'Reilly is a good one.  "Linux
Unleashed" isn't bad either, and the latest version is
probably more current than "Running Linux."  I'd just go
down to your local public library and see what they have on
their shelves.  Chances are one or more of the books will
have a CD in the back you can install from even.  You can't
get a better deal than that...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Walter Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Tecra 520CDT and IrDA
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 02:43:31 +0200

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my Tecra 520CDT laptop and its infrared port.
I'm trying to get the infrared port running in SIR (standard infra red)
mode. AFAIK the port is supposed to show up as an serial port,
i.e. /dev/ttyS1, as /dev/ttyS0 is the ordinary serial port.
But it's not there! The BIOS (version 6.70) shows only the ordinary serial
port (at 0x03f8 irq 4), and the linux serial driver only detects a single
port, too.
What is wrong? How can I activate the port?

Walter

------------------------------

From: Torleiv Flatebo Ringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:59:33 GMT
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup

This will either be in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, or in your=20
respective runlevel directory. If your runlevel (check this by typing=20
`runlevel`) is 5 (normal X startup), then your directory will be=20
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d, and there will be symlinks in there to scripts in=20
/etc/rc.d/init.d. If you see a ppp link, just delete it.

On 8/31/99, 1:38:26 PM, Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding Re: Device /dev/modem is locked.:

> John McKown wrote:

> > What what little I know of this, Linux "locks" the modem by creating=

> > a file on the HD. On my RedHat 6.0 system, this is the file:
> >
> > /var/lock/LCK..modem
> >
> > possibly you had an uncontrolled shutdown which left this file on th=
e=20
HD.
> > If you are sure that nobody is using the modem, you can remove this =

file

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: powermac G4 announced
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 01:07:57 GMT

Be careful, if you take a look at the specs for the Motorola MPC7400 you
will see that it is actually a 32-bit RISC processor with an addition of
the "AltiVec" instruction set.  What I mean by this is that the integer
registers are 32bit GPRs, and the floating point registers are still 64bit
wide for doubles.

The only part of the processor that is "128bit" is the vector unit, but
from what I have read it is not clear that this really is a generalized
vector machine, rather it looks like 128bit wide SIMD type setup which
really will benefit certain types of array based work.

Also it is interesting to note that Mortoral specs the chip out at 825MIPS
@450Mhz and a SPECint95 of 21.4 /SPECfp95 of 20.4 placing about 13% above
an equivalent PII in terms of integer performance and giving it a good 34%
edge in the FPU category.  In all it is not a bad little chip.

One thing to be careful with (honestly) the seriousness with which you
take Apple's claims (I still remember the press release where Motorola all
but apologized for Apple's claims about the G3 being twice as fast as the
PII and showed that they way they had done it was by "tweaking" the
dhrystone code to reduce the total number of instructions that were
executed, but then divided by the "theoretical" number....)  Point is the
G4 is a fine processor, but it is not a CRAY (like the one that is
pictured in the add) when it comes to general instruction mixes.

If you really are looking for a very fast FPU unit take a look at the
current batch of Alphas.  They are very nice, do SMP in a major way, and
are supported in terms of OSF, VMS, WinNT, and Linux.  You may find that
(especially with Compaq's pricing now) you can afford a low end alpha for
about the same price as the latest MAC.

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: Murray Todd Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 01:20:13 GMT

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> Does anyone know of any software DVD players available for Linux, or at
> least any that are in development ?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andrew

Check out...

          http://livid.on.openprojects.net/

          http://linuxdvd.corepower.com/

          http://www.linuxtv.org/dvd/

If that doesn't lift your spirits, you haven't yet learned the magic of
determined Linux hackers.

Murray Todd Williams

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB intellimouse in Linux
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:49:47 -0600

Mohd H Misnan wrote:

> Err.. nothing wrong with microsoft hardware, I love my original microsoft mouse
> and it still my best mouse around.

The original Microsoft mouse was certainly sturdy enough (I
still have one here as well) but it does suffer from one
glaring defect: it only has two buttons.  I've had good luck
with Logitech 3 button mouses running in X and they're
certainly a lot cheaper than the current crop of Microsoft
mouses.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])