From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster - emu10k1
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:31:21 -0700

==============59A27BBC6D5DF6A39D5CF0D9

just for you information. I found that in Linux-2.4-test2 they use
another sheme on /dev/input/js?
for joysticks and you need compile and use another modules. I found it
only yesterday evening.
Now I wonder how to keep old kernel and new at the same time and use
joystick.

NOTE: I also have Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D.

Andrey

--

== System Development & Support Systems ============================
Andrey Vlassov                          Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792

==============59A27BBC6D5DF6A39D5CF0D9

Hi,
use another sheme on /dev/input/js?
it only yesterday evening.
joystick.
SuSE6.4. That one
href="http://opensource.creative.com">http://opensource.creative.com</a>
much
I get
etc..) is
configured
anyone
Likewise, no problems with my RedHat 6.2 box and SB Live!, with the driver
downloaded from creative's web site. Just a word of caution for&nbsp; Logitech
WingMan Extreme Digital 3D joystick users: it&nbsp; sets the gameport I/O
address to 0xb800, rather than 0x200 (standard gameport I/O), and the joystick
is not recognized.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-
-Lecturer-
Dept. of Physics &amp; Astronomy
U.C. Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
Tel: 949-824-8094
Fax: 949-824-2174
email:&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</blockquote>

============================
Vlassov</font>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 +1-(604)-482-5791
E-Mail: <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Home:&nbsp;&nbsp; +1-(604)-294-6653
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Pager:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.bctm.com/bc/paging/pagsend.htm">+1-(604)-473-1754
</a>====================================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============59A27BBC6D5DF6A39D5CF0D9==

------------------------------

From: "russ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: SupraExpress 56i PRO
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:54:16 +0100

Hi!

I have been trying to get the Diamond MM SupraExpress 56i Pro to work under
Linux, with no success.  I have Corel installed at the moment, although I
also have recent versions of Storm and RedHat, and some rather old Slackware
discs.

Could you help me:
(1) get this to work under Linux-It's a new modem, my old one is a PCTel
winmodem that won't work.
(2) is the SupraExpress 56i Pro a winmodem?

Thanks,
Russ

------------------------------

From: Mingyi Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to make a bootable Linux CD ?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:42:49 -0400

Kit-pui Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just a "simple" question: How to make a Linux
> bootable CD that can boot-off into a clean shell ?
>
> It would be useful to maintain HD from time to time,
> isn't it ?
>
> I tried to boot from the Installation CDs of RedHat,
> CorelLinux, Caldera ..... etc.  Unfortunnately, NONE
> of them lets user quit the install procedures and get
> into a clean shell.
>
> many thanks for any hint !
>
> Kit

I'm really new to Linux, but I met the same problem as yours. What I did
for a workaround is to choose upgrade rather than install, and upgrade a
small game or some unimportant stuff, you'll get nothing affected and
get Linux started.  Before I learn more about Linux, this is the best I
can think of. (of course you can also make bootable floppy, but seems
you're not interested in that).

Mingyi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 1542C - Unable to abort...
Date: 30 Jun 2000 17:10:09 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> OK.  I've read tons of messages in this newsgroup about people having
> problems with the aha1542 driver.  Is the adapter a problem or is the
> driver a problem?  Should people just throw these cards out?

I don't know about the 1542C, but I use a 1542B with no problems.

Keep in mind:
- This is an ISA card.  If you configure it for the maximum ISA bus
  speed (8M/s), you still have a theoretical maximum speed that is 20%
  slower than the SCSI bus's top speed.  Furthermore, your actual
  throughput will probably be throttled even slower by the ISA-PCI
  bridge logic on your motherboard.  Even when everything works
  perfectly, don't expect high performance.  (It should be fine for
  slower devices like Zip drives, CD-ROM drives and some tape drives.)

- The 1542C has rather tight timings compared to its predecessor, the
  1542B.  Active termination is an absolute requirement, IMO.  Also, be
  sure to observe cable length limits.  For the Fast-SCSI bus of the
  1542C, this means absolutely no more than 6m (aboug 19.5') of cable,
  including any cabling inside external drives.

- Be sure you have the latest driver.  This is always good advice.

> I have a single SCSI drive attached to the cable.  The SCSI adapter
> itself is terminated @ the centronix port, the dip is Enabled for
> hardware termination, and the drive is configured as Target 0.

SCSI busses must always be terminated at the ends of the cables.

With only one drive, the two ends are your SCSI card and the drive.
Both must be terminated.

> There are two pin blocks having to do with termination power.  There
> titles are:
>
>   a) Drive Supplies Bus and
>   b) Drive Supplies own and finally
>   c) Bus Supplies Drive
>
> Which one of these is the one I should select???  I would prefer if a
> jumper just said Terminator on/off, but that's not one of my choices,
> and selecting where the power comes from or where it goes doesn't mean
> anything to me and there was little explanation on Seagate's site.

You didn't say which model drive you have, but I would be very surprised
if there isn't a jumper to enable/disable an on-board terminator.  I've
never heard of a drive that supplies termination power without also
having a terminator.

As for the termination power settings.....

SCSI termination involves wiring a power supply and ground to each
signal wire, with some resistors in between.  The goal is to shunt
signals to ground so that they don't reflect off of the cut wires at the
end of the cable and cause interference.

The power supply for the terminator must come from somewhere.  It can
come from itself (like an external terminator with an AC adapter wired
to it), from a device it is built-in to (like a hard drive) or from a
wire on the SCSI bus.

The jumpers on your drive present you with three different options:

- Drive Supplies Bus.  In this case, the drive is sending power into the
  SCSI bus, which will be used to drive a terminator somewhere else.
  (Possibly its own).

- Drive Supplies own.  In this case, the drive will NOT provide power to
  the SCSI bus, but it will provide power to its own internal terminator.

- Bus Supplies Drive.  In this case, the drive will NOT provide power to
  the SCSI bus.  It will not provide power to its own internal
  terminator either.  Its internal terminator (if used) will draw power
  from the SCSI bus - which will only work if some other device is
  providing termination power.

I don't know if the 1542C provides termination power to the bus or not.
The Adaptec install guide I found on-line at their web site didn't
mention it.

It is usually not a problem for more than one device to provide
termination power.  Try setting the drive to "Drive Supplies Bus".

See if there are any software-configurable options for the card (press
CTRL-A for SCSISelect during the pre-boot sequence).  This may let you
turn termination power on and off.

> As you can probably guess, the errors I get when the modules tries to
> load are:
>
> aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0
> aha1542.c: Trying device reset for target 0
> aha1542.c: Unable to abort command for target 0

Any kind of SCSI failure can cause this.

> It finally finds the information its looking for, but it finds it again
> and again for devices 1-6.

Devices 1-6????  You said you only have one drive attached.

Make sure all your SCSI IDs are unique.  It is customary (and strongly
recommended) that your host adapter be configured for ID 7.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Mouse Systems Replacement?
Date: 30 Jun 2000 17:13:30 -0400

Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    Does anyone know of a three button optical mouse that is Linux
> friendly?  (KYE-Genuis purchased and closed Mouse Systems.)

I know that Microsoft makes an optical mouse these days.  AFAIK, it is
signal-compatible with the MS Intellipoint mouse, which has good support
in XFree86.  (I have, however, found problems with it an GPM, but it
doesn't bother me because I don't use GPM.)

It is a three-button mouse.  Clicking the wheel generates center-button
events.  You can also configure XFree86 to recognize wheel-up and
wheel-down events as button-4 and button-5.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Has anyone gotten LT Winmodem to work on Dell Inspiron?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:01:05 -0400

PCI Utils doesn't see the LT Winmodem on the Dell Inspiron 7000 notebook and
the LTModem driver from LINMODEMS.ORG responds with Device or Resource Busy.
I am using RH 6.2 with 2.2.16 kernel.  Please post reply, my real e-mail
address isn't posted.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric)
Subject: 3Com 56k Modem
Date: 30 Jun 2000 17:22:08 -0500

I ordered a 3Com 3977 56k PCI V.90/X2 modem a few weeks ago and got it
today.  I installed it, just had to use "setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 11 port
0xfff0 autoconfig skip_test" to get it to work.  I can connect to my ISP,
but it's running slower than my old 28.8k modem.  Any suggestions?  I
don't have a manual.

------------------------------

From: "Fly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CNR Support
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:03:39 -0500

What's the deal with Communications and Networking Riser card support and
Linux? Will a Ethernet CNR work under Linux?

------------------------------

From: "ranzio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
es.binarios.sexo,es.comp.emuladores,es.comp.hardware.cd-rw,es.comp.hardware.misc,es.rec.juegos.comp.arcade,es.rec.juegos.comp.aventuras,es.rec.juegos.comp.simuladores.misc,es.rec.juegos.estrategia,microsoft.public.es.window
Subject: servidor de news
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:16:26 GMT

alguien sabe algun servidor de news en el que salgan todos los grupos y sea
publico

------------------------------

From: "Jim Tench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:19:20 +0100

OK, I'm getting close.  Does anybody have any links to useful ISDN
configuration help on Mandrake 7.1 (which is supposed to support it).  I
have a BT Home highway card, which for those who know about these things, is
apparently a rebadged teles card.  Ta much

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 2000 20:11:35 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA-310TX with Tulip chip

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to kf ;

> The Netgear FA-310TX with Tulip chip is alleged to work with Linux.
> They even include a *.c driver on a floppy that comes with the card.
> However, in the past couple of days I've heard twice from people who
> say they can't get it to work on their systems.  It's long been
> included on the Hardware-HOWTO.  What's the deal?  Anybody here have
> this NIC actually working?

Sure, works great for kernel 2.2.14-5.0, from RH6.2 install, using the
floppy supplied drivers.

And I'm one of the askers, because I haven't been able to make it work
with any newer kernels including 2.4.0-test2, where I've tried it with
the floppy driver, and with the 2.4.0-test2 supplied driver.

The last 2.4.0-test2 I built got only as far as a continuous output of:
'/sbin/modprobe binfmt-somethingorother443 failed' or some such similar
message repeated forever.  That may not be related at all, but I've
asked twice about this error on these groups and received zero replies.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

Date: 30 Jun 2000 20:15:40 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to D.H.C.P. Bach;

 DB> kf wrote:
>>
>> The Netgear FA-310TX with Tulip chip is alleged to work with Linux.
>> They even include a *.c driver on a floppy that comes with the
>> card. However, in the past couple of days I've heard twice from
>> people who say they can't get it to work on their systems.  It's
>> long been included on the Hardware-HOWTO.  What's the deal?
>> Anybody here have this NIC actually working?

 DB> Yes.  Did you compile the supplied tulip.c driver and install it
 DB> ?  Note you must make it as part of a "make modules" or otherwise
 DB> supply all the appropriate flags to gcc to get it to load and
 DB> function properly with your kernel.

Up till and including 2.2.14-5.0, my scripts for kernel building have
simply cd'd to the directory I stored the floppy stuff in, executed
./cctulip, and copied the resultant module to
/lib/modules/version_number/net/tulip.o

Which has worked very nicely for several kernel upgrades.

What changes do we need to do?

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
ISP's please take note: My spam control policy is explicit!
#Any Class C address# involved in spamming me is added to my killfile
never to be seen again.  Message will be summarily deleted without dl.
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is
© 2000 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.

Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Re: Are TSC's synchronized in an Intel P6 SMP configurations?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:37:30 GMT

"Mike Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "Jan Vorbrueggen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > No, any two clocks, no matter how similar, will drift relative to each
> > other,

> I don't see, in this case, how that is possible.  Each CPU's local clock is
> an exact integral ration to the front side bus clock, which is identical for
> both CPUs.  If one of the CPUs were to "skip" or "lose" a clock relative to
> the other, IMO that would be considered a serious bug.

Even at the speed of light, it still takes electrons time to move.  A
CPU which is farther away has to be positioned precisely in order to
make it sync in an integral number of pulses late (e.g., 2 pulses
instead of 2.281 pulses).

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"Dude... my hands are huge.  They can touch anything but themselves...
 oh, wait."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:53:31 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when kf would say:
>The Netgear FA-310TX with Tulip chip is alleged to work with Linux.
>They even include a *.c driver on a floppy that comes with the card.
>However, in the past couple of days I've heard twice from people who say
>they can't get it to work on their systems.  It's long been included on
>the Hardware-HOWTO.  What's the deal?  Anybody here have this NIC
>actually working?

I've got an AMD-K6-2 based box with one, and replaced a fried Intel
card on my Intellistation with a FA-310TX.

No problems encountered...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/hardware.html>
I'M SORRY, LUSER, I CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT.  WHY DON'T YOU LIE DOWN AND TAKE