Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:07:51 +0800
From: dbp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help! UPS

May you tell me which UPS is suitable to use with Linux? The UPS How-To
just
tell ... tons of hacking ... which I do not understand! Thx!

--
Please reply me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], thank you.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Xircom PE3
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:04:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Neil C. Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone got one of these things (Xircom PE3)
>
>I picked one up from a boot fair, no leads or docs, but rumour has it I
>may be able to get it going!
>
>Any ideas/help would be cool!

[Parallel port 10BT Ethernet adapter]

Well, no support in Linux, I'm afraid-- which is too bad since it's a neat
little toy.  Mine can be powered off a PS/2 port or an AC adapter, which I
can't locate.

The driver disk ought to be available at Xircom's web site; contact me if
you can't find them.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Help with Sony CDU-31A CD-ROM
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:31:14 GMT

In article <7ql6h0$uci$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been trying to get my Linux box working with the Sony CDU-31A
> CD-ROM for the longest time.  It's in in an old 486 that I got passed
> off to me.  I have tried everything that I could think of to configure
> it.  There is stuff on the Web, but nothing has worked as of yet.

Woohoo!  I've got one of these in my 486 here, and I did get it working
at one point.  Always glad to see people using these machines.

> I am using the boot disk to setup Linux through the Local CD-ROM.  I
> have tried using the "Autoprobe" in Red Hat Linux 5.2 and it could
find
> it.  I tried using the 0x300 as the I/O base address and IRQ 0, but
that
> hasn't worked either.

Well, I'm pretty darn sure that the IRQ isn't 0, since there is no IRQ
0.  If you're trying to use that a a parameter to get it to probe for
the card, don't bother, those cards don't probe.  You'll need to find
out what the IRQ of your CD controller card is.  Mine is on a sound card
that's a SoundBlaster clone, and it used IRQ 5 and IO 0x330 for the CD
interface.  I think I got RedHat 5.2 on that system, although it might
have been 5.1.  It definately wasn't 6.0, since this was a while ago.

> The proprietary card is not made by Sony, but by some other company
> which makes my situation more complicated.

I don't remember if Sony made any cards to control these drives, the
only ones that I've seen have been by other manufacturers.

> If anyone out there can help me, I would deeply appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -- Andrew

It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: Michael J Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Inkjet Printer Recommendation
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:07:09 -0400

Hello all-

Can anyone recommend a good inkjet printer to use with Red Hat Linux 6.0
that is fairly straightforward to setup and that will print in color -

I mainly print from Wordperfect 8.0, Acrobat Reader, Ghostscript, and
Netscape.

Also, is it better to use a Postscript printer with linux ?  If so, does
anyone have any recommendations for an inkjet one of these?

Thanks for your help -

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on eOne
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:09:47 +0900

Hi Kelvin,

> 1) X Windows won't work on the ATI Rage XL 3D AGP video card.  Can't
> find the right modeline and/or frequency.

Have you tried using "SuperProbe" to see if which Display Server is detected
for your video card?  Also, does your ATI card has TV out?  If it does, some
Display Server only works when their it no cable attaching to the TV.  The
exact Horizontal and vertical sync rate of your monitor is also very
important.

> 2) can't mount cd-rom.  Keeps telling me the Kernel doesn't
> recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

does /dev/cdrom actually exist?  If yes, what's your mount line like?  There
should also exist a /mnt/cdrom, you can try(after putting a CD into your
CD-ROM drive) :

mount /mnt/cdrom

and see if you can see the CD contents in /mnt/cdrom

> 3) network card not working, Linux unable to detect it
>
> 4) winmodem not working - this one will probably never work.

I do heard of people writing drivers for winmodem.  Try searhing some
popular linux sites.

Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: Hardware support: Linux vs. BeOS
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:36:29 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.hardware, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stanislav Kelman)
spake unto us, saying:

>Hello there!
>
>How come Linux lags behind BeOS in hardware support?

Because it doesn't.  Your basic premise is seriously flawed.  :-)

Linux supports a much higher number of video cards, sound cards, SCSI
controllers, and other devices than BeOS does.

BeOS may have a focus in some areas where Linux might be weak -- it is
a multimedia OS, after all, and it has a commercial entity behind it
who is willing to wheel and deal with 3D chipset vendors (for example).

However, that doesn't mean the BeOS has widespread hardware support.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: midi for ES1868 (SB driver)
Date: 2 Sep 1999 21:15:09 -0500

fred smith wrote:

> Guilhem Tardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Hi!
>
> : I am trying to install the sound driver of 2.2.11 on a Thinkpad 760EL,
> : which has a ES1868 sound chip. Therefore, I set up the SB drivers (as
> : module), but my documentation (delivered with RD 6.0) is not in sync
> : with the software and I can't get the midi driver to work.
> : It should be uart401.o (found in /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc), but the OS
> : can't find it at boot time.
>
> : Therefore, when I run sndconfig, the second part of testing doesn't work
> : and I get annoyed by the "FAILED" label at boot time ("can't find midi
> : module").
>
> I've got an add-in card with the 1868 chip on it and I can't get midi
> to work either, though I get no boot- or run-time diagnostics, it simply
> fails to produce sound. If you find out any useful information about
> how to get midi working with the ESS1868 chip, please either post here
> or let me know privately, if you would.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fred

Go to 4-Front software (link on my site, Open sound)

You can test their demo and you will find out if it works right.
Remember that you need to install Timidity++ if you want midi to
work.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions.
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:20:16 GMT

Well, if you're going with software RAID, stay away from NT.  When we
had RAID5 on IDE disks last year some time, we had to rebuilt the set
about every few days.  Even when we went to mirrored SCSI, it got
rebuilt about once a month.  We've been shelling out for SCA chassis,
and UW raid cards for our servers, so that we don't have to deal with
the trouble of rebuilding the RAID all the time.  We never really had
any trouble with our Netware 4 servers and mirroring, but we never tried
anything else.
            Greg
In article <7qlbqg$2qc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <7qhrph$heg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <7qgbqv$cec$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I am in the process of configuring and setting up some
Linux
> > > servers for my company, [snip]
> > >
> > > The question is this... software or hardware based RAID?  And what
> > > are the hardware requirements?
> >
> > I think that setting up software raid in Linux for a company is a
> > very bad idea at this time.  I have done a kernel patch in kernel
> > 2.2.11 to stripe a couple of drives together as an experiment, but
> > no way would I do this on a machine used for business.
> >
> > Depending upon how dead in the water your company would be if the
> > RAID array has problems, I'd recommend finding a company that does
> > this professionally.  You need to decide how fault tolerant the
> > system needs to be, and provide for a backup mechanism that is fast
> > enough so that you're not backing up during high-usage times.
> >
> > I know, this isn't exactly the question that you asked, but I felt
> > strongly about this and wanted to make sure you had taken these
> > factors into account.  There's just so many factors to take into
> > account when choosing a RAID+backup solution that I'd personally
> > stick with proven SCSI hardware, known redundancy, hot-swapping
> > of bad disks and fast tape backup.  You may find that backing up
> > 250Gb of data requires a very expensive tape drive, like digital
> > linear tape.  Scary to get it wrong!
>
>    Well I would rather use Linux for our fileserver than Netware or
NT.
>  From what I have read it seems that there are somewhat reliable RAID
> drivers for Linux (in 2.2.x at least), reliable enough that many
people
> seem to be using them and various distributions such as Red Hat
> advertise it as one of its key features.  But if software RAID support
> is not as stable as you seem to be implying then thats something Linux
> needs if its going to be considered a legitimate player in the
> fileserver arena.
>
>    Anyway the 250gb RAID I mentioned was just the scratch/temporary
> filesystem, no backups will be kept of that one and if it fails i'll
> just rebuild it, no problem really.  It will be a RAID0, just
striping.

>    The RAID that needs backups is the main file server, ~50gb, and
I'll

From: Herman Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:33:25 -0400

Hi,

My notebook computer won't recognize more than 64mb of RAM even though I
specified append="mem=104m" in the /etc/lilo.conf

However, Linux recognizes all the RAM when I type "linux mem=104m" at
the lilo prompt during boot.

I tried other parameters in /etc/lilo.conf such "mem=106112k", "mem=80m"
etc... According to the BIOS, 106112k is the usable memory.  No matter
what I put in lilo.conf, Linux won't recognize more than 64mb unless I
specify it during boot prompt.

My system:
IBM Thinkpad 760xd
RH6.0/kernel2.2.10
104mb RAM

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Holger Marzen)
Subject: Re: Token Ring 16/4 Speed Problem
Date: 2 Sep 1999 18:13:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Harold Hotelling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hey,
>
> Anybody know how to disable Auto Speed Detection in the token ring
> module ibmtr.o?
>
> My Linux box has a Turbo 16/4 Token Ring card from IBM in it, and I'm
> trying to network it with a token ring XStation.
>
> I've got my Linux box plugged into an IBM 8228 MAU, and the only other
> thing plugged in there is the XStation 160.  I'm trying to get the
> XStation to go to Linux, but when I do a "modprobe ibmtr" under RedHat
> 6, it gives me a periodic
>
>     tr0: No signal detected for Auto Speed Detection
>
> while the MAU clicks.  The modprobe detects the card, giving me the
> correct MAC address for the card - so I have high hopes.  If I could
> just force the Linux box into 16 Mbps, I think the XStation would follow
> it's lead...

You have to set the mode to 'auto' instead of 'turbo' because the driver
isn't able to do the DMA stuff. Use the IBM-DOS-tool to set the mode. I
think you can set the speed with this utility, too.

------------------------------

From: f5alcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.general
Subject: 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 supported?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:31:06 GMT

Is the Voodoo3 3000 card supported in Red Hat Linux 6.0 without
downloading drivers because I have no internet connection in linux?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nicholas Dronen)
Subject: Re: Getting the Ethernet ID from directly from the network card.
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development,linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:04:12 GMT

Vincent ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: HI.
: I'm developping a driver that it must getting the Ethernet ID directly
: on the network card.
: I found all network cards this their physical address in my PC but where
: is the ethernet number ??? What address ?

$ man ioctl_list

Look at SIOCSIFHWADDR.

Kind regards,

Nicholas

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Mundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video card problems
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:58:16 -0400

Hello all,
I am very new at linux (trying hard though).  I had linux up and running and
XFree86 working.  I installed a new video card (my old one is on the
motherboard with no way to disable in the BIOS or on the hardware).   I try
to run Xconfigurator and it keeps having a problem with the new card (it is
compatable with the Mach64 server), just as a test, I tried to run startx
and it appears from the error, that it is still looking for the old card.
Here is my question:

How do I tell linux or Xfree86 to use my PCI video card and not the onboard
one?  If you tell me I need to edit a file (which i think i will have to),
can you tell me the path to the file (still a newbie).

Thanks in advance.
-AM

------------------------------

From: Fred Scott Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM PS/1 Install
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:57:36 -0500

we put redhat 5.2 on a 486/25 PS/1 (which is not MCA) and it thrashes when we
start X.  at run level 3 (non-gui) it is okay, though a bit slow.  you could try
it as a learning experience, but get a bigger machine for gui work.  a memory
upgrade to 24M will cost you $90 for that box.  still, ours whips our but at
chess and the xroaches run away faster than we can catch them.

------------------------------

From: "diener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:24:56 -0700

try    append=mem=104M w/o quotes

------------------------------

From: Alex Flinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion ( 8570C to be precise )
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:49:15 -0400

Ian Mac Lure wrote:

> Any words of wisdom on installing Linux ( leaning to RedHat ) on
> an HP Pavilion 8570C from someone who's done it. I'm interested
> in gotcha's mostly.
> ( Note: "do it" doesn't qualify, you'd be preaching to the choir )

I have Mandrake 6.0 dual booted with Win98 on a HP Pavilion 4450, and
everything works except for the flaky winmodem/soundcard combo. I did
install an old 1.25G drive for Linux's exclusive use however. Install
went fairly smoothly except that autoprobing for the video card locked
up the whole thing. Anyway, I think that the 8570 also uses a similar
video system, so setting it as ATI Rage / MACH64 should work.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel O'Neil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RFI - Analog Modem Channel Bonding
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:34:05 -0400

http://linux-mp.terz.de/ claims to have a patched version of pppd for
multilink.  However, i've never tried it myself, so why don't you and report
back to us? =)

    Daniel O'Neil
    remove the --NOSPAM-- from my email address to reply

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Igor Fedulov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: newbie - compaq presario 1690 x not running
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:56:59 GMT

Hello everybody:

Sorry for crosspostiong to many groups, but I need to get somebody's help. I
have a compaq presario 1690 which is the notebook and I have a problem
founding the correct type of the monitor. I can't use the xwindows except if
I connect the usual monitor to the output port on the back. Can anybody
advise me how to solve this problem. I really tired of the windows crap and
want somehow make this machine runnig linux.

Thanks in advance,
Igor Fedulov

p.s. remove nospam after @ before replying

------------------------------

From: "Tim Gaastra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any got a Compaq Proliant 3000R working?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:14:27 -0700

Just in case I am missing something...

Has anyone got Linux installed on a Compaq Proliant 3000R
ATAPI CD-ROM on master, IDE bus (/dev/hda): It sees this fine.
either the built in MB SCSI controller, and maybe, the Smart Array 3200 RAID
adapter...

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the 3200 is a wash, but I just want to see if people are
running it on the hardware.

Remove the SPAM from my address if you send email.

Tim Gaastra