Linux-Hardware Digest #169, Volume #13            Mon, 3 Jul 00 08:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  X on EOne433 (JC)
  Re: Asus K7V and the VIA sound chip problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: your PC is your $$$ machine !! ("Gerald Waugh")
  Re: Soundblaster 128 PCI (Dex)
  Re: How do I turn on IDE DMA at boot time? (Dex)
  Re: Intel 2100 ProDsl Modem (Dex)
  Re: Soundblaster 128 PCI (Kenneth Rørvik)
  MSI K7Pro on board audio (Darko)
  Re: How do I turn on IDE DMA at boot time? (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: Why is my harddisk so slow? (Cliff Pennock)
  Re: MPEG-2 Decoding Query (Eric)
  soundblster 2.0 (@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
  s.n.a.f.u. 1b-i (Uncle)
  Re: How do I turn on IDE DMA at boot time? (Andrew Onifer)
  Re: diamond Supra express 56k v90 i (Ian Vaughan)
  SB Live / mp3 problems ("qwerty")
  Rackmounts (Yan Seiner)
  Re: How do I turn on IDE DMA at boot time? (J Bland)
  Re: your PC is your $$$ machine !! (J Bland)
  Terratec Xlerate ("Ralf Riedel")
  What's wrong with this syntax? ("B. Joshua Rosen")
  Re: soundblster 2.0 ("Karl E. Jorgensen")
  Is my motherboard (PCChips M748LMRT) defective? (Cliff Pennock)
  Kernels and problems.... ("andy beetz")
  Re: What's wrong with this syntax? (Kenneth Rørvik)

From: JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X on EOne433
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:30:03 GMT

I am using an eOne 433 (Emachine). It's got USB, PCMCIA, parallel, serial,
ethernet. A 433 MHz Celeron, about 6 GB of hard drive.

I tried using Mandrake and Redhat 6.0. Both have Xfree 3.3.3.1
The installation correctly detected a ATI Rage XL 3D video card with 8MB
video SDRAM.

Mach64 server works fine but that's not the point. The monitor control
under win98 mentions Mach64 GT with an internal DAC. I don't think it's an
Xserver problem though, since this video chipset seems well supported by
XFREE86.

I think this is a monitor problem, though I maybe wrong. When I set
everything up according to normal procedures, I get a blank screen and/or
the monitor goes crazy.

Someone here managed to fire up X using VGA16 and/or mono. I'll be happy
with that. I just need the monitor settings. Is there something I can do
setting up the monitor.

I'm using Horz 57.1, 60.0, 63.7 and Vert 50-160. Here's
the monitor specs

15 inch CRT (260mm (H) * 195mm (V) display size)
0.28 dot pitch, non-glare & MPR II
Input signal

R,G, and B analog, 700mVp-p, and 75 Ohm impedence video signal 3 mode
(57.1,
60.0, 63.7 KHz) frequency, TTL level, and positive & negative  horizontal
synchronous signal

50-160Hz multiscan, TTL level, and positive & negative vertical
synchronous
signal

maximum 1024 * 768 resolution

Power rating
AC 90~264V voltage
50Hz plux/minus 3hz, 60 plus/minus 3Hz freqency
120W power consumption

Help! How do I set up the monitor?
Email me please at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Asus K7V and the VIA sound chip problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:39:16 GMT

> I've got a problem with the VIA sound chip AC'97 on the Asus K7V.
> Namely, the via82cxxx kernel module hangs the system solid when
installed
> (e.g. with modprobe).  Has anyone experienced such a behavior?

Nop. I've got 3 Athlons on Asus K7M running (which has the same codec)
and all works fine. I use Alsa 0.5.7. In the SuSE support there was
some Issue about this codec. Perhaps this can help

Ulrich

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: Re: your PC is your $$$ machine !!
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 03:56:05 -0400

Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Scott Alfter wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Dex  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >A danged pop-up box on a newsgroup....what's the world coming too
> > >::sigh::
> >
> > trn didn't display any pop-up box.  (What, you mean you don't use trn,
which
> > is God's Own Newsreader (TM)? :-) )

So, Where can I get tm? ((:-);

------------------------------

From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster 128 PCI
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:05:19 -0400

"Kenneth Rørvik" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans van den Bos) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I'm running kernel 2.2.16 and although my Creative/Ensoniq Soundblaster
> >128 PCI soundcard is supposed to be supported (ES1371 driver), I can't
> >get it to work.
> >
> >When I run sndconfig it recongnizes my card, but when I test it, it
> >comes with an "unable to open /dev/dsp device" error (the rights to this
> >device are "xwr" to all).
> >
> >I've also tried the ALSA driver (version 0.5.8), but it doesn't work
> >too.
>
> sndconfig needs to have the driver compiled as a module, I think. Try
> compiling support directly into the kernel, it should then detect your card
> on bootup. To test, run "cat foo.wav > /dev/dsp"
>
> --
> Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
> Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 0554 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

This, of course is the most basic weakness of Linux. But, the kernel hackers
are hard at work making it possible to change, or upgrade your system without
requiring a recompile of the kernel.

------------------------------

From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I turn on IDE DMA at boot time?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:10:35 -0400

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:27:39 -0400, B. Joshua Rosen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Does that require a rebuild, or is there an argument that I can pass at
> >boot time?
>
> Kernel rebuild.
>
> --
> Hal B

Again...as much as Winblows sux. Why does a hardware upgrade or change
require a rebuild of the friggin' Kernel????

I really do like Linux....and MS$ is off my computer for good. Even with
their "new" plan of getting a percent of every internet transaction I will
make sure my pennies go to a much more deserving company or person than M$.
But still, what is so hard about making Linux upgradeable w/o recompiling
kernels????

------------------------------

From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 2100 ProDsl Modem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:12:59 -0400

Derek Whitten wrote:

> Has anyone gotten this device to work w/linux? If so, how would i go about
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance

The logical course would be to as root have the kernel add start the module
once it is running.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:28:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dex) wrote in

>> sndconfig needs to have the driver compiled as a module, I think. Try
>> compiling support directly into the kernel, it should then detect your
>> card on bootup. To test, run "cat foo.wav > /dev/dsp"
>>
>> --
>> Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
>> Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> 0554 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis
>
>This, of course is the most basic weakness of Linux. But, the kernel
>hackers are hard at work making it possible to change, or upgrade your
>system without requiring a recompile of the kernel.

Agreed, and while this is no problem for me and many other current linux-
users, it is for newbies - this is one important item for linux to grow
further as a desktop OS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darko)
Subject: MSI K7Pro on board audio
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:50:17 GMT

Does anyone have MSI's K7Pro motherboard with on board audio?
If so, does Linux kernel or ALSA support it ? Based on the
information from the manual it is Creative Labs 5880 chipset
(aka ES 1373) and is supported by both OSS free and ALSA.

Cheers, Darko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:55:28 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>than M$. But still, what is so hard about making Linux upgradeable w/o
>recompiling kernels????

umm, I am no hardcore hacker, but I know it is not an easy task - and you
can be sure the core developer team has given it a lot of thought. However
it will require quite a bit of rewriting, and will take time. Remember that
Linux must still be considerd a "young" OS (Unix has been around three
times longer.... and is still monolithic)

From: Cliff Pennock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is my harddisk so slow?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:12:06 +0200

Kenneth Rørvik wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cliff Pennock) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Anyone has any ideas?
>
> hdparm -u1 /dev/hda????

Already tried that, still no go...

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MPEG-2 Decoding Query
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:50:39 GMT

Q wrote:

> Just wondering what kind of work has gone into supporting mpeg decoding
> (video) in linux and perhaps a more appropriate source of information is you
> have one

some useful links:

www.mpeg.org
www.freshmeat.net
www.linuxtv.org
www.linuxstart.com/applications/multimedia/video.html

you'll probably be able to find a lot more at

www.google.com/linux

Eric

------------------------------

From: @ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Subject: soundblster 2.0
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:57:15 +0200

Hi Folks,

I've a soundblaster 2.0 (8.bit-card, ok it's quit old) and tried to
install it on my
computer. I've running suse 6.4 on a pentium 150 MHz with 32 MB RAM.
I used the driver sb.o in the /etc/modules.config. After that my
soundcard reacted in the following way:

- *.wav files could be played without problems
- *.mid files: no sound could be heared at all
- *.mp3 files: you couldn't call that sound: it was an awfull noise that
was produced while playing an mp3 file. I also tried playing the mp3
file in the text console to
save memory but the effect was the same as under kde or fvwm2.

Under win95 the mp3-files can be played without problems.

What's the matter here?
Thanks in advance

Max

------------------------------

From: Uncle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: s.n.a.f.u. 1b-i
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:17:43 GMT

Hi everyone.

I'm working on a sysadmin utility
called s.n.a.f.u. (stands for Slippy
Network Admins ofFsck Util) and its
aimed at making the monitoring of logs,
activity, hardware activity, and system
status a little easier for folks doing
a lot of their admining on the cmdline,
not in X.

It also provides quick(er) access
to system confs for editing and system
logs for viewing.  And there are few
extra misc scripts in there as well.

I'm a looking for folks to giveit a
try and maybe some feed back as well.
Anyone interested in it can swing by:
http://www.geekcave.net

s.n.a.f.u. is an open source project
and developer input is welcomed
thankfully.  Comments, suggestion,
code, flames, etc. can be emailed to:

Uncle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.geekcave.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Onifer)
Date: 3 Jul 2000 10:26:58 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:10:35 -0400, Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hal Burgiss wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:27:39 -0400, B. Joshua Rosen
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Does that require a rebuild, or is there an argument that I can pass at
>> >boot time?
>> Kernel rebuild.
>Again...as much as Winblows sux. Why does a hardware upgrade or change
>require a rebuild of the friggin' Kernel????

It doesn't, if you compile every module available (ie, use the
distribution's default kernel).  Or you could compile new
modules manually without recompiling the kernel.  In this case, however,
you'd need to recompile the kernel, though someone else pointed out a
command-line parameter that has the same effect.

                                jay

--
"The movie really heightens the lack of interest in the film"
                                    --Crow T. Robot

------------------------------

From: Ian Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diamond Supra express 56k v90 i
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:30:05 GMT

andrelourenco wrote:

> Ana wrote:
> > How do you configure this modem to run under Linux ? I have the Suse
6.0
> > distribution.

> >                     http://www.searchlinux.com
>

> I have the same problem. if you alredy have the answer please mail me to

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
I have found a site that contains a method for getting Diamond Supra
Express 56i Pro modems to work.  Follow the instructions and everything
works great.

www.crosswinds.net/~tuklu/supra.html

Ian.

From: "qwerty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB Live / mp3 problems
Date: 3 Jul 2000 10:28:35 GMT

Hi all,

I've got a SB Live value combined with the Creative 4 point surround
speakers (+ one separate base speaker). Running RH6.2 with Gnome desktop.
The card is recognized correctly but when playing mp3 files no signal is
sent to this base speaker. Base signals are sent to the 4 point surrouns
speakers, which doesn't sound too well. Note that this occurs only with mp3
files, not with regular audio CDs.
My system:
Celeron 566 @ 850 MHz
Asus P2B-F
128 MB PC100
Diamond V770
Dynalink external modem 56k
SB Live value PCI
Aopen 40x CDROM
Maxtor 30 GB 7200 rpm
Anyone with a familiar problem? Even better: anyone with a solution?
TIA
Chris

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rackmounts
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 06:45:30 -0400

I know this isn't exactly a linux question, but...

My old linux server died last week.  I am getting a new mobo, a new case
(the old one was an AT case w/ limited power), dual power supplies, etc.
etc...  the whole thing suitable for a 19" rack mount.

Does anyone have a source for rackmounts?  I've checked my usual
sources, but what they have is so limited that I want to look around
some.  I don't need a full cabinet, but I need to mount a RAID case, two
hubs, a UPS, the server itself, and a small monitor and keyboard - in
other words it has to be pretty beefy.

I won't be able to bolt this to the floor until we move into our new
building 8 months down the road, so a broad base is a must.

Finally, it needs to come from a mail order source.  The nearest "real"
computer store is about 140 miles; if they don't have what I need then
the next closest one is 240 miles...  Too far to browse....

--Yan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Date: 3 Jul 2000 11:14:31 GMT

>>> Kernel rebuild.
>>Again...as much as Winblows sux. Why does a hardware upgrade or change
>>require a rebuild of the friggin' Kernel????
>
>It doesn't, if you compile every module available (ie, use the
>distribution's default kernel).  Or you could compile new
>modules manually without recompiling the kernel.  In this case, however,
>you'd need to recompile the kernel, though someone else pointed out a
>command-line parameter that has the same effect.

Quite. On the whole you can turn things off and on without too much bother
if you use install kernels or set up your own right. My SuSE 6.4 runs all
the hardware I can get my hands on, with the default kernel.

The difference being that on Linux you *can* recompile your kernel to add
quirky hardware support if you want, and once you know exactly what you want
you can build one that only includes support for those things; saving
memory and increasing performance.

Get a newer distribution, reconfigure your kernel, or use the kernel
parameter I posted earlier. None of these is particularly hard to do.

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k
Date: 3 Jul 2000 11:16:10 GMT

And your arse is your talking machine !!

------------------------------

From: "Ralf Riedel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Terratec Xlerate
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:06:40 +0200

Hi Folks,

I've got a Terratec Xlerate sound card and wonder if there's a way to get it
work under Linux. Anybody with experiences?

Thanks, Ralf

------------------------------

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What's wrong with this syntax?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:48:01 -0400

Whats wrong with this syntax

boot=/dev/hda3
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3
# Added by TreLOS for Win4Lin kernel
image = /boot/win4lin
label = win4lin
root = /dev/hda3

ide0=dma

/home/bjrosen/smartnic/smartnic_fpga> lilo
Added linux *
Added win4lin
Syntax error near line 18 in file /etc/lilo.conf

------------------------------

From: "Karl E. Jorgensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundblster 2.0
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:54:55 +0100

@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've a soundblaster 2.0 (8.bit-card, ok it's quit old) and tried to
> install it on my
> computer. I've running suse 6.4 on a pentium 150 MHz with 32 MB RAM.
> I used the driver sb.o in the /etc/modules.config. After that my
> soundcard reacted in the following way:
>
> - *.wav files could be played without problems
> - *.mid files: no sound could be heared at all
> - *.mp3 files: you couldn't call that sound: it was an awfull noise that
> was produced while playing an mp3 file. I also tried playing the mp3
> file in the text console to
> save memory but the effect was the same as under kde or fvwm2.
>
> Under win95 the mp3-files can be played without problems.
>
> What's the matter here?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Max

Don't know about the mp3 problem, but the midi-problem seems to be
well-known: You need to load a "soundfont" into the card. On my 3 1/2-year
old 200MHz Pentium with a soundblaster I had to dig out the original
windoze CD and get hold of "synthfm.sbk" and change /etc/modutils/midi to
say:
    alias midi awe_wave
    post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/sfxload /usr/local/synthfm.sbk
and *then* I get sound out of midi files.

Hope this helps

Karl E. Jorgensen
Note: Reply address is bogus - use k a r l @ j o r g e n s e n . c o m
instead

------------------------------

From: Cliff Pennock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is my motherboard (PCChips M748LMRT) defective?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:05:09 +0200

Hi all,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the following problem:

For the last few weeks I've been trying to solve a problem with my
harddisk. I got very low transfer speeds and had tried everything I
could think of but nothing seemed to help. To give you an idea what my
definition of "low transfer speeds" is, here is the info I got from
hdparm:

hdparm -t /dev/hda:  8.00Mb/s  (kinda slow for UDMA/66)
hdparm -T /dev/hda: 17.44Mb/s  (whoa! very, *VERY* slow!!!)

Like I said, I had been trying all I can think of but the speeds
remained the same. I had been concentrating on the non-buffered speed
(8Mb/s) and tried to increase that. But today, I suddenly realised that
the buffered speed (17Mb/s) is actually nothing more than a memory test
and if that number is too low, is has nothing to do with the harddisk.

So I ran memtest86, a program that tests - amongst other things - the
speed of your memory system. This program creates a boot-floppy from
which you then boot to make sure no other program can interfere with the
results.

My suspicions were right. These are the results I got:

L1 Cache  32K: 2505 Mb/sec
L2 Cache 128K: 626.3 Mb/sec
Memory   120M: 18 Mb/sec        <--- !!!!!

At first I figured it must be my SDRAM, so I swapped it for one of which
I knew for certain to be good (and which gave me 120Mb/s on another
system), but I got the exact same results. Next, I swapped the processor
for another (a little faster) one but still got the same results. That
left me with one option: the motherboard must be defective.

The motherboard is a PCChips M748LMRT. I've heard the stories about this
brand but I must say that other than this motherboard problem, the
system has worked perfectly. I had no problems whatsoever installing all
the onboard stuff. So please refrain from the "PCCHIPS sux, get yourself
a real mobo" answers, since that will not answer my real question.

The question is: Is my motherboard faulty? Or is this low memory
transfer rate normal for this motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

- Cliff

------------------------------

From: "andy beetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernels and problems....
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:07:41 +0100

I installed Red Hat 6.2 a couple of days ago. Setup went really smooth and
had no problems other than I couldn't mount the cdrom. I then searched on
dejanews and found that I needed a new kernel. So, I put on 2.4 test 1. This
went really well also (and I'm newbie to linux). This fixed the cd problem,
the thing is, I can't use my ls-120 anymore. any advice/suggestions
gratefully received.

TIA
Andy

------------------------------

Subject: Re: What's wrong with this syntax?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:07:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B. Joshua Rosen) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Whats wrong with this syntax
>
>boot=/dev/hda3
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>timeout=50
>linear
>default=linux
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/hda3
># Added by TreLOS for Win4Lin kernel
>image = /boot/win4lin
>label = win4lin
>root = /dev/hda3
>
>ide0=dma
>

>/home/bjrosen/smartnic/smartnic_fpga> lilo
>Added linux *
>Added win4lin
>Syntax error near line 18 in file /etc/lilo.conf

You need to set it like this: append="ide0=dma"