Linux-Hardware Digest #203, Volume #11            Tue, 7 Sep 99 21:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  Re: NE2000 PCI help ("fooDude")
  Soundblaster Live ("Mars")
  Re: Need help configuring cs4236 sound on HiNote ("Neil C. Dean")
  Re: NE2000 PCI help ("Neil C. Dean")
  [MODEM] ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Disk and RAM size for minimum character mode Linux ("Simon Kwan")
  Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:30 (Caspar von Seckendorff)
  Exabyte 8900 Problem (jordic)
  sound for all users ("Artur de Freitas Gouvêa")
  Parallel Zip Drive Passthrough (Pete Foley)
  Re: Intergraph Intense 3D Pro 2200-T ("Nik Simpson")
  Re: ATAPI CD burning? (Jay)
  HP CDR8100i configuration on Linux RedHat 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Q: Videocard for using OpenGL under Linux ("Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip")
  Laptop video (Andy Bristow)
  Re: IDE RAID: FastTrak66 on Linux ("fooDude")
  Re: Help! Video Card  and XWindows (Howard Mann)
  help with a superscript 870 ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Re: PCI Modem Problems ("Jim Andreu")
  Re: RedHat & Sparc IPX install troubles (Peter T. Breuer)
  Re: Please help experts!!! : My HDs are gone after changing the Slave to Master!!!
(BIOS doesnt detect them anymore) ("Chauzie")
  Re: Configuring modem/internet connection under Gnome?? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: which to buy USB zip or RW-CD (Pas Moi)
  Re: HP LaserJet 1100 (Andrew Wallace)

From: "fooDude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 PCI help
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:31:14 -0500

Hi Jennifer,
I think that your problem is that you have a plug-and-play card with its
resources assigned by whatever OS it runs under. I have found that with
NE2000 compatibles, it is best to disable plug-and-play on the card and
manually assign values to the card. If your card has software that can do
that, then you should be in good shape.
If not, then you can try this (it worked once with a Kingston KNE20 I was
using). Go into WinNT, and try to change the resources of the card manually.
Change it to something lower than 0x600 (usually a good idea anyhow). Reboot
the system into NT, and see if the card is still working. If it is, reboot
into linux and specify the new settings for the card.
I hope it works for you!
Matt

news:7r2brl$uic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Mars" <r*e*a*d*m*e*@s*p*r*i*n*t*m*a*i*l*.c*o*m>
Subject: Soundblaster Live
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:17:31 -0500

I finally got my SB Live to play CD Audio and wav files. When I play the
included games I get no audio. I am using SuSE 6.2. Any help would be
welcomed.
Erik

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:26:57 +0100
From: "Neil C. Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help configuring cs4236 sound on HiNote

Hi!

I have had a similar problem on a HP Omnibook.

I used the CS4232 driver even though its a cs4237B and after much fiddling
with the stuff in the BIOS.... It only stopped popping after I stopped
sense to me whatsoever!

I also had no luck from the OSS modules.

One other thing I did change was I stopped using the mpu options on the
CS4232 module..

Sorry I'm not much help!

Neil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:01:26 +0100
From: "Neil C. Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You should be using the module ne2k-pci.o not ne.o and as its pci I dont
think you need all the io and IRQ stuff!

I think!

Neil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MODEM] ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:56:49 GMT

Greetings!

I will be installing Linux Mandrake soon, and am doinfg a bit of a
compatiability search for my current hardware.  My modem is what
appears in the subject line, and I guess I'm wondering if this will
work under Linux.

I have visited the "winmodem" site, and didn't see mine listed, but
just want to make sure it *isn't* a winmdem.  Would anyone be able to
tell me for sure?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Kwan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disk and RAM size for minimum character mode Linux
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:05:27 +0800

Hi Greeting,
  Could anyone please comment on the approximate Disk and RAM size for a
smooth running system with TCP/IP, FTP, Telnet, PPP. The system only need
character mode (no Window graphics, just the plain old shell).
   TIA.  appreciate email reply

Simon

------------------------------

From: Caspar von Seckendorff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:30
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:55:18 -0400

==============F4ED4161E73CDA20AF88FCC1

Caspar von Seckendorff wrote (quoting his own words ;-)):

> Also I usually have to start my computer 2-3 times because of this error
> message:
>
> VFS: Cannot open device 00:30

By chance I detected some REALLY STRANGE connection to that problem:
I am running LILO with two configurations: Windows98 (dos) and Linux
(linux) which is standart (of course <G>).
The "lilo: " prompt waits for about 10 sec. and starts limux automatically
if no key is pressed. In this case I get the Kernel panic error.
If I press <ENTER> to start faster (should do the same thing) I won't get
the error message.

Has anybody an idea why that is???

Caspar

Here my /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-22
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda7
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

==============F4ED4161E73CDA20AF88FCC1

begin:vcard
n:von Seckendorff;Caspar
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
adr;quoted-printable:;;Duke University=0D=0ABox 99973;Durham;NC;27708;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Caspar von Seckendorff
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jordic)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage
Subject: Exabyte 8900 Problem
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:59:50 +0200

Hi!

        We have an EXAByte 8mm/170M SCSI (Exb-210 with a Mammoth 8900) in
a Linux System.
We're using "tar" to create a backup:

        For example:

        tar -cvf /dev/nst0 /usr/src/1
or
        tar -cvf /dev/st0 /usr/src/1

        The problem is that after de first tape is full the Exabyte didn't
change to the next tape. (Exabyte is configured in Sequential Mode).

        I know there is another device /dev/sg*, this device is the
Control Device that changes the tape, anybody knows who we can operate
with this device? (for example like st0: mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind).

        There are some programs to make backups, like arkeia
(www.arkeia.com) but they are commercial, anyone knows a
shareware, freeware or commercial programs that supports the control
device (/dev/sg*)?

        Is possible to continue using "tar" and make that Exabyte changes
the tape?

        Anyone have any problems like this?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Artur de Freitas Gouvêa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound for all users
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:22:41 -0300

I have a problem that disturb me. In my Mandrake 6.0 i have three common
users. When i want to work with a sound with all users i can't.
A friend of mine said it's common in Linux, because an user have to write an
archieve to listen sounds, and when he opens this archieve he locks only for
him (excepting the root).
        Is that true? What archieve is that? What can i do to change this
(if will not be any troubles)
        My computer is an Intel Pentium 233, 128M, HDs 6.4 & 4.3 G,
soundblaster AWE64.
    Thank you for help.(and sorry my english)

------------------------------

From: Pete Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parallel Zip Drive Passthrough
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:31:19 GMT

Hey,

I am going to try to install my Zip drive (old parallel port) onto my
computer, but I was wondering if the printer pass through will then work.
I only have 1 parallel port on my machine so I need to share the port with
my printer also.  Is it possible to have noth working at the same time?
Or do i have to mount the zip to use it every time and then unmount it if
i want to print?  I would really like to be able to have both active at
the same time (without having to put another parallel port).

Thanks,
-Pete

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intergraph Intense 3D Pro 2200-T
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 17:35:24 -0500

Alberto Varesio wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hallo folks,
>being new to linux I'm asking this:
>I've searched the Intergraph site, but found nothing helpful.
>Anyone happens to known how to get this card working under linux ?
>The 2D part isn't so good, but it works, what I really search
>is the 3D HW acceleration, but don't know if they used a prop. chip or
>something else.
>Anything appreciated, thanks!
>
>Intergraph Intense 3D Pro 2200-T
>It is installend inside an IBM Intellistation M Pro running Slackware 3.x,
>but it can be reconfigured with RedHat 6.0

Intergraph announced at SIGGRAPH that they would produce drivers for LINUX
for some new Wildcat cards in Q4, but they have no plans to support anything
older than that.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI CD burning?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:05:35 GMT

>From what I've seen and my experience (and according to the How-TO), you must
get the ide-scsi emulation working.  Its not that hard to get working.  Only
took me about 6 tries at recompiling the kernel :) hehe

--
"There are more adventures on a chessboard than on

all the seas of the world"  -- Pierre Mac ORLAN, via Jose Spaleniec, Paris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP CDR8100i configuration on Linux RedHat 6.0
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:39:27 GMT

Hi all,

I installed RedHat6.0 with the selection of CD-R burning option. When I
run the command cdrecord -scanbus, I saw the following error message:
==============================
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI
driver.
===============================

As described in the CD-Writing-HOWTO, I checked the following:

file /proc/devices:
=========
Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty
3 ttyp
4 ttyS
5 cua
7 vcs
10 misc
14 sound
36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts

Block devices:
1 ramdisk
2 fd
3 ide0
9 md
22 ide1
==========================

run lsmod
=================
Module                  Size  Used by
sound                  57272   0  (autoclean) (unused)
soundlow                 300   0  (autoclean) [sound]
soundcore               2372   3  (autoclean) [sound]
sg                     13772   0  (autoclean) (unused)
nfsd                  150648   1  (autoclean)
lockd                  30888   1  (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc                 52644   1  (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
3c509                   5812   1  (autoclean)
==================

run modprobe -l
==================
/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/ide-scsi.o?
==================

In my lilo.conf:
==================
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdk
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"
===============================

After modify the lilo.conf, I have run lilo.

What can I do to make the cd-r working?

Thanks.
-dong

From: "Igor I. Tovstopyat-Nelip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: Videocard for using OpenGL under Linux
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:03:28 -0400

I'm setting up a new machine which is supposed to run under Linux OS.
Which card can be recommended in order to work with Linux and to be good
for OpenGL programming?

Thank you,

        Igor.

------------------------------

From: Andy Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Laptop video
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:29:22 +0100

Hi,

Does anyone know of a laptop video chip that will do 1024x768x24bpp or
better, and works under linux?

How about the ATI Mobility Pro w/8Mb? That should do the job, but is
there a driver that works? (Mach64?)

TIA

Andy

--
Andy Bristow

From: "fooDude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE RAID: FastTrak66 on Linux
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:21:33 -0500

I don't know what the FastTrak is, but if it is a UDMA controller, than this
link will probably help:
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html
Matt

------------------------------

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Video Card  and XWindows
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:31:11 GMT

L Henry wrote:
> Good day!
>
> I have a question... I am a newbe to Linux.  I am running Linux RedHat
5.2, and
> I was trying to setup my XWindows.  It works but I have a Larger
window.  The
> video card that I have is SiS 620 (64-bit 3D AGP Graphics Accelerator on
the
> motherboard).  It has 8 megs of Ram and can support resolutions up to
1600x1200
> pixels.
(edit)

> Any help, I would be grateful! :)
>
> Thanks

This videocard is supported by XFree86, version 3.3.5

There is an upgrade guide in the "Support" section at www.redhat.com

Cheers,

Howard Mann.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with a superscript 870
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:01:02 -0500

Can someone get me started configuring an NEC superscript 870 to run
under redhat 6.0? The sort of bone head questions I have are things like
what is gostscript and how do I install it (if I need to install it).

Thanks,

Kirk

------------------------------

From: "Jim Andreu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Problems
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:46:12 -0400

=======_NextPart_000_008A_01BEF948.1CAD17E0

Sethuraman Baranidharan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:7qct6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but =
keep hearing=20
> that some of them do.
>=20
> (Yes, I have seen http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and it =
didnt help me, sorry).
>=20
> Here is the situation:
>=20
> In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.
>=20
> Just before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see
>=20
> "BUS 0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE =
ID 0440 IRQ 5."
>=20
> Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I  look into dmesg and see

Let me suggest you take a step back and use minicom to see if it will =
reset the modem.
If minicom hangs, your settings are not right and PPP / Chat which are a =
step further will certainly not work

Good luck
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=======_NextPart_000_008A_01BEF948.1CAD17E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sethuraman Baranidharan &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&g=
t; wrote=20
in message <A=20
href=3D"news:7qct6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:7qct6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
e.edu</A>...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt; Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I =
know it may=20
not work, but keep hearing <BR>&gt; that some of them do.<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; (Yes,=20
I have seen <A=20
href=3D"http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html">http://www.o2.net/~gro=
mitkc/winmodem.html</A>=20
and it didnt help me, sorry).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Here is the =
situation:<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; In Windoze the modem works at COM3 with IRQ 5.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Just=20
before LILO I find that PCI resources are listed and I see<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; "BUS=20
0 DEVICE 17 SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER, VENDOR 11C1, DEVICE ID 0440 =
IRQ=20
5."<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Then I login into root (under RH 5.2). I&nbsp; look =
into=20
dmesg and see<BR>&gt;=20
______________________________________________________________________<BR=
></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Let me suggest you take a step back and use minicom =
to see if=20
it will reset the modem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If minicom hangs, your settings are not right and =
PPP / Chat=20
which are a step further will certainly not work</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Good luck</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: RedHat & Sparc IPX install troubles
Date: 7 Sep 1999 23:51:53 GMT

James Moger ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Linuxberg.  Everything seems to be running alright except the Sun 4
: optical mouse will only track up and down - no lateral movement.  I
: disabled gpm from starting on boot, but that didn't make a difference.

Dunno. I plugged a non-optical sun mouse into a ps2 port and it went
fine. I have sparcs running RH 4.2, and the sun optical mouse works
fine on them (option sunmouse I think).

Yes, losing one axis of movement is a known hardware failure mode.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Chauzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.periphs,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup
Subject: Re: Please help experts!!! : My HDs are gone after changing the Slave to
Master!!! (BIOS doesnt detect them anymore)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:44:38 -0700

Okay, lets take it one step at a time.  First we need to determine that both
your drives work perfectly independently of each other.  So test each drive
one at a time without the other plugged in.  *Note: On some drives, if you
want to use it as a SINGLE drive, then you CANNOT jump it as a master
(because there isn't a slave to be a master over; in this case, just don't
jump anything).

Now assume that both your drive works perfectly by themselves, then put them
on the same IDE channel again.  If that doesn't work, then try puting each
on its own IDE channel (IDE1 and IDE2).  Make sure you enable the IDE
channels in the Bios.

If that doesn't work, them reset CMOS.  Read your m/b manual how to do this.

But if your original setup worked and now it doesn't, then your drive might
have just died in front of your eyes.  It happened to me.
--
* * C h a u z i e * *

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring modem/internet connection under Gnome??
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:12:07 +0200

Robert L wrote:
> My system loads automatically Gnome, and if I log off, I can only
> re-log as a new user (in Gnome) or to halt the system... no way to go
> back in "text mode"

I'm not familiar with redhat or gnome, but maybe it is possible to
switch to another virtual console with ctrl-alt-f1 - ctrl-alt-f12 ?

> Now, the two (basic) books I have only provide commands to configure
> my modem while in "pure" Linux mode.  And the Gnome "User manual"
> don't state a word about it: how can I configure my modem/internet
> connection, if feasible, from the Gnome interface??

You should also be able to get something equivalent to your "pure" linux
mode if you open a terminal window.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage
Subject: Re: which to buy USB zip or RW-CD
From: Pas Moi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:48:05 GMT

BC> Randy Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
BC> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> H Paynter wrote: > > I need some more storage space for my lap
>> top. Does anyone know which
BC> is
>> > better to use a USB zip drive or a RW-CD.

in my experience, zip drives are extremely unreliable.  i have no
experience with cdrw, but after many bad ones with iomega, i'd go with
almost anything else.  i'm using an mo drive with my laptop now.  this
works ok for me for some specific reasons: i'm in japan alot, where mo
drives are more popular and the disks are much cheaper than in canada
or the u.s.

i can't say enough bad things about zip and iomega, though,

ciao,

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] [remove noise]

I'm GLAD I remembered to XEROX all my UNDERSHIRTS!!

------------------------------

From: Andrew Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:28:23 -0700

I'm still at square 1 - I can't get Linux to talk to my LJ1100. Any
special tricks you can give me? I REALLY want this thing to work!

thanks,
andy

--
Andy Wallace (650) 817-0230 (Internal:x2230)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained