From: henk van der knaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AVA-1502AE, Software interrupt lost
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:38:12 +1300

Dear readers,

I have installed an AVA-1502AE SCSI Host Adapter card. This card works
beautifully on my 486 computer with the following kernel, (using modules):

Linux version 2.2.17pre6 (root@henk) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian
GNU/Linux)) #4 Mon Jan 1 23:54:49 NZDT 2001

However on my pentium I get the following distressing message (with the
same kernel version):

aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=10, SCSI ID=7,
reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100,
extended translation=disabled
aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost.
aha152x: IRQ 10 possibly wrong.  Please verify.
scsi : 0 hosts.

I have seen other people reporting this problem, but nowhere I have found
a solution. Yes, it all works under Windows95.

Any thought would be very much appreciated.

 _                _
| |__   ___ _ __ | | __
| '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| |/ /
|_| |_|\___|_| |_|_|\_\

I am happily using Debian 2.2 Linux as my operating system.

Henk van der Knaap,
Christchurch 8003,
New Zealand

My e-mail address is as follows: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:59:58 +0100
From: Stephan Neumaier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: linux "freezes" frequently

My Linux (SuSE 7.0) suffers from frequently crashes. When they happen,
the screen "freezes", the mouse and cursor disappear and there is no
possibility to press a key anymore. Waiting patient for some 15 minutes
doesn`t have any success, I have to switch off power (!!!) to restart
the computer. That shouldn`t happen to Linux, I reckon.
Of course restarting then takes a long time, because of checking the
file system, once it was damaged that serious, that I could only help
myself with reinstalling Linux.

The crashes so far only happened under X-Windows (Version 4), mostly
they came along with a running Netscape Communicator (Version 4.75).
Recently they turned out when I was running some self-composed
C-programs with endless loops or wrong address-allocations (compiled
with gpp 2.95.2). Then not only the concerned xterm-window breaks down,
but it also forces the whole system to stop. Sometimes the systems
crashes without a special reason, just while I`m typing or only looking
at the screen.

I got a certain feeling that it has something to do with my graphics
adapter, it is a ATI Xpert2000 (AGP) with the rage 128 chipset. So far I
couldn't configure it properly: it works, but the 3D features are not
supported. Can that be one cause for my trouble?

There are no comments about the crashes in /var/log/messages to get
closer to the cause, so I`m really helpless in finding a solution. Also
I looked up several newsgroups and could`n find something similar to my
case - so please, please help me if you got the slightest idea!
Thank you in advance,

Stephan.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Processor Temperature
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:02:17 -0800

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience with their system.

I have a 486 system which I've upgraded with an AMD 586 133 MHz processor.
The processor has a heat sink, but no fan. When I boot to DOS, the processor
quickly heats up, and after several minutes the heat sink is too hot to touch.
This happens even when the system is sitting idle at the command prompt without
running MS Windows.

However, if I boot to Linux and even run X Window System, and run X Window
clients and do other things, after many minutes of operation, the heat sink on
the processor only gets barely lukewarm.

I don't know why this happens, but it seems that Linux would be easier on the
processor if it doesn't make it hot like MS things do.

------------------------------

From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PRO slow sound
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:11:57 +1300

In comp.os.linux.hardware Migue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Sound Blaster PRO card ISA , it's correctly configured but the
> sound is slow.

If  you are playing 16 bit data samples this could be the problem
as the SB pro is only plays 8 bit data.

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: linux "freezes" frequently
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:17:13 -0500

Login, and before you startx do

X -probeonly > x.out 2>&1

then post x.out.

I have the exact same card, and it worked fine under RH7.0 kernel 2.2.16
(the stock RH kernel), without DRI, and it works
great under kernel 2.4.0 with or without DRI.

You might have bad hardware. My system used to crash kind of randomly some
time ago, and I went through hell till I realized I had a bad memory
module. Whenever the system requested some pages from a damaged place in
RAM, it would crash.

Also, you may want to try to run some program directly at the console,
without starting X, to see if it is an X server problem, or a system
problem.

------------------------------

From: "Slatec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: MB + PCI NIC + Linux problem
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:29:09 GMT

I've got it to work.

I flashed the BIOS to an older version... AP53R2c0 instead of AP53R3c0...
I think this is the most important step:  I disabled power management in the
BIOS.
Assign an IRQ to the PCI slot where the NIC sits.
Enabled PnP Aware OS <-- not sure if that's the difference also.

But anyways... it's up and working.

I'm a happy camper again!

Thanks.

news:MIP96.33679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Guy Tel-Zur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP with Pentium > 800 MHz, SLOT 1, on OR840
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:28:46 +0200

I would appreciate comments about using OR840 boards with Linux.
I had difficulties installing Linux on Intel OR840. First, the
installation hangs but that
was solved by upgrading the BIOS. But, later, after completing the
installation the system also
frequently hangs and the performance seems to be poor. It looks that the
board does not support 933MHz and
1GHz dual processor. Using a single processor the computer works just fine.
Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Guy

------------------------------

From: Dag Nygren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:46:53 +0200

Stephan Neumaier wrote:

> My Linux (SuSE 7.0) suffers from frequently crashes. When they happen,
> the screen "freezes", the mouse and cursor disappear and there is no
> possibility to press a key anymore. Waiting patient for some 15 minutes
> doesn`t have any success, I have to switch off power (!!!) to restart
> the computer. That shouldn`t happen to Linux, I reckon.
> Of course restarting then takes a long time, because of checking the
> file system, once it was damaged that serious, that I could only help
> myself with reinstalling Linux.

I see the exact same problem here, with completely different
hardware, so there must be something we have in common ;-)
I am using a Dual Pentium III system. Motherboard Intel Nightshade
N440BX. My display adapter is a Matrox Mystique. Linux 2.4.0.
The freeze  (at least my) is not really Linux, but the Xfree86 server that
goes into a loop, SIGALRM, sigreturn(), SIGALRM and so on.
You can check this by logging in through the network and use
strace -p <Xserver PID>. You can also shut the system down cleanly
through a network connection.

The interesting thing, which would in my opinion indicate
that the hardware is OK, is that Xfree86 3.x runs perfectly OK,
and that the machine has been running stable for half a year now
(apache, qmail, mysql and others running all the time).

I posted a question about this some days ago to this newsgroup,
but got no answer.

Plese tell me if you find a solution outside the newsgroup.

BRGDS

--
Dag Nygren                               email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oy NewTech Ab                            phone: +358 9 8024910

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW info and recommemdations needed
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:52:58 +0100

Alan Jones wrote:

[snip]

> What is BurnProof technology.  Yes, I know it is firmware that
> prevents problems with buffer underrun.  But what is it that requires
> licencing from Sanyo?

BURNPROOF is a hardware implemented Buferunderrun
prevention mechanism.  Hardware manufactureres that want to
implement it in their units have to license it from Sanyo
because they developed and patented it.  AFAIK their's no
licensing requirement for software relying on/supporting
BURNPROOF.

[snip]

Sven

     sven dot bovin at chem dot kuleuven dot ac dot be

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Processor Temperature
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:57:03 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has had this experience with their system.
>
> I have a 486 system which I've upgraded with an AMD 586 133 MHz
> processor.
> The processor has a heat sink, but no fan. When I boot to DOS, the
> processor
> quickly heats up, and after several minutes the heat sink is too hot
> to touch.
> This happens even when the system is sitting idle at the command
> prompt without
> running MS Windows.
>
> However, if I boot to Linux and even run X Window System, and run X
> Window
> clients and do other things, after many minutes of operation, the heat
> sink on
> the processor only gets barely lukewarm.
>
> I don't know why this happens, but it seems that Linux would be easier
> on the
> processor if it doesn't make it hot like MS things do.

It's much hotter in DOS/Windows than in Linux becaus the
MS-OSes put the processor in a kind of idle-loopt whenever
there's no work for it to do while Linux sort of switches
it off (oversimplification here, I know).  There were some
technical issues long time ago that made MS do it that way,
but it seems outdated to me.

From: "Bindou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Creative D15655 cannot be detected
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:46:04 +0400

Hi all,
I am very new to redhat linux and i have an internal modem creative D15655
which works well under windows me but is not detected under linux redhat
7.0.
I read somewhere that i had to run pnpdump in order to find the modem.but
nohing was detected .
Any help please..

Rgds
Bindou

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TurboLinux 6.0 & Promise Ultra66 Problems
Date: 19 Jan 2001 08:20:18 GMT

You have two options:
1) Get a distro that will support your hardware straight 'out of the box'
that you will be able to install.
2) Install your linux system using UDMA 33 (i.e. physically change the
cable in your machine) which will enable the install to see your hard
disk.  You should then be able to install normally and patch your system
up to use UDMA-66 or whatever afterwards (when you can change the cables
back over again!

------------------------------

From: "Reiner Emmerling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel
Subject: urgent timeout Problem with ServerWorks LEIII ???
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:51:58 GMT

Hi,

does anybody out there has experience with the ASUS CUR-DLS Board with
ServerWorks ServerSet LE 3.0 chipset and kernel 2.4.0???

I am using this board with two IBM 45 GB disks (Model: IBM-DTLA-307045) on
the two IDE controller under Kernel 2.4.0 (and SuSE 7.0).

When accessing the disks under DMA mode i get the following messages in
/var/log/messages

four times:
"kernel: hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
 kernel: ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
 kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest } "

and then:
"kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
 kernel: hdd: DMA disabled
 kernel: ide1: reset: success "

What could be the reason for that messages? Under kernel 2.2.16 the DMA mode
worked without problems.

Are there any problems with that chipset known and what could be the
solution?

Thanks for any advice,

Reiner

------------------------------

From: "Fillo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux & Silicon Graphics
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:31:17 +0100

Hi.

Can I install Linux on a O2 workstation ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: Can't mount USB Hard disk
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:22:55 GMT

Daniel Seed wrote:
>I am using Mandrake 7.2 on IBM Thinkpad 570.  After loding USB drivers
>(usbcore, usb-storage,usb-uchi) I can see following messages with usbview:
<snip>

>However, I can not mount it because I can not find it in /dev/sda or
>/dev/sda1 .....(try hundreds of them).

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Anything there?

Have you loaded (had in kernel?) the scsi subsystem and the scsi disk
(sd.o) modules?

I don't know how USB disks behave althought I'm most interested about them
as handy portable media. The above guess is just there because you
tried to open scsi devices. Load the driver for the device type.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: To switch to Linux or not? Advice please.
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:42:04 GMT

jelb wrote:
>Help like this, from total strangers, is especially nice because it
>compensates for the all too abundant flaming I notice in many other
>groups - if you know what I mean.

That's typical to Open systems and all that. You do get some bad
advice and advocacy but often you also find very helpful and
knowledgeable people if you first do what you can yourself
and then go to the right forum and ask politely but not so humbly
that it would be considered redicule =).

>Judging by the responses probably most will. I expect I'd have to boot
>to Windows for 3D gaming though.

Unless your computer has a supported card (AGP and Matrox, ATI or 3dFX,
3dfx with glide in ISA also) and a few other things in place. You can
get accelerated 3d and 3d games for Linux as well.

>Based on all the replies I've read I think I'll be giving Windows 2000
>a try. If it really is a lot more stable than ME then, obviously, I'll
>have less need to try Linux. That doesn't mean I won't though. I am

Less need? Got all that loose money to spend?

I use Linux and have absolutely no need for anything else whatever it
is I'm doing. I would like an SGI, sure, but that's about it =)

At work as a full-time sysadmin, I don't really need anything else..
.. except for an odd problem with transferring data out of a MS SQL
database that was easiest to solve with Access and ODBC. NT server
admin with VNC and all that. At home, it's Linux with 21" and
3D with sadly little display ram running games, accounting, code,
documents, music, graphics and whatever I get to my head plus
a little old Sparc with NetBSD for the hell of it and an old HP700.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: Linux & Silicon Graphics
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:43:43 GMT

Fillo wrote:

>Can I install Linux on a O2 workstation ?

Check the SGI OSS pages and Linux.org's projects->ports links
and you may find some pointers. There's also a MIPS howto.

I don't see why you'd want, though. IRIX and 3d on that is just
swee-eet.