From: "J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with Sony SuperStation IDE tape drive
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:00:57 -0600

Thanks in advance for help!

I just (this evening) purchased a Sony SuperStation IDE tape drive, and
installed it in my old P120 running RH6.0. Since I had to recompile the
kernel anyway, I upgraded from 2.2.10 to 2.2.12 and compiled my kernel the
same way I had before, but with the ide-tape driver statically compiled into
the kernel. When it boots, I get a message like this (I included the IDE
controller detection messages in case its relevant):

pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x3000-0x3007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x3008-0x300f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC21600H, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SuperStation-Int, ATAPI TAPE drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: WDC AC21600H, 1549MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=787/64/63, DMA
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 1a, key =  2, asc =  4, ascq =  1
ide-tape: Can't get tape parameters - assuming some default values
ide-tape: hdc <-> ht0, 450KBps, 6*26kB buffer, 2600kB pipeline, 110ms tDSC

Here's what mt status says (with a 6.6M tape in drive):

[root@ix /root]# mt status
Unknown tape drive type (type code 0)
File number=0, block number=0.
mt_resid: 0, mt_erreg: 0x0
mt_dsreg: 0x200, mt_gstat: 0x0
General status bits on (0):

Here's what it says with the tape out of the drive:

[root@ix log]# mt status
/dev/tape: Input/output error

When I try to run a tar to the tape, however, it causes a kernel panic
(looks like a problem in the interrupt service routine?). Unfortunately, I
have not been able to capture the output from the panic(havent figured out
how from a VGA head).

Is there some way to generate a crash dump under Linux (and more importantly
someone who could analyze it)? IANADD (I am not a driver developer), but I'd
be happy to help work on this problem with someone who is. Please email me
at:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Remove the obvious element to email me at bigfoot.com!
Thanks again in advance!

------------------------------

From: Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sb64pci
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:57:49 +0000

has anyone managed to get midi/wavetable working on a sb64pci?

ta,
roger.

------------------------------

From: "Paul Overbey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AGP
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:08:33 GMT

I have an  ATI All-In-Wonder 128 16MB AGP.  When I install Caldera OpenLinux
2.2, my monitor goes black if I try to test resolutions and/or after it
boots into Linux.

I have a Sampo KM-810.  Horizontal 30-95 KHz and vertical 50-150 Hz.  Any
suggestions?

From: Tim Alexeevsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install LPT scanner (Umax 1220p)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:50:16 +0400

 I want to configure my scanner under Linux.
 I saw the homepage of SANE project,
there is everything I need. BUT,my scanner
(UMAX 1220p) is not in the list of supported
scanners. Unfortunately.
 As I understand LPT scanners are not supported by
this package. If I'm wrong - write me that.
So there are some questions:
 1. Can LPT scanner be installed in Linux?
Probably there are some reasons that would not
allow anyone to write a driver?
 2. If LPT scanner (UMAX 1220p) can be installed
under Linux - then what are the ways to install it?

Thank you for reading,
Thank you again if you will answer.

                                        Tim.

From: Brahms Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: s3 trio 3d/2x
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:03:15 +0800

Stewart Hector wrote:

> I had an ISA S3 trio card.  I justed used the standard S3 X-server
> drivers.
> Marc wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where I can find a driver for the S3 trio 3d/2x video
> > card for Linux.
>
> --
> Stewart
> ICQ: 5308166
> http://freespace.virgin.net/s.hector/index.htm

> The last time I cried, I could see the people
> Long ago in the rain
> Waiting as the soldiers put them all on a  train
> And the hands on the bars, the eyes full of tears
> And the word is the same, for a thousand years,
> Eli Eli Lama, Oh Lord, you have forsaken me...
> CdeB - The Last Time I Cried
You can use the SVGA server in the xfree3.3.3.1 or later version,
the xfree86 is supported the s3 trio 3d card since the 3.3.3.1, don't
use the s3 server , it is only for the old version s3 display card.

------------------------------

From: Harald Wagener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unnecessary CDROM roughness?
Date: 10 Sep 1999 10:46:35 +0200

Brenden Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Quick question...
>
> I'm wanting my CDROM to be accessible, either automatically (autofs), or
> always mounted.  It's a mild pain to mount it to browse when my file
> manager doesn't have a "mount this" feature.
>
> My apprehension to autofs is that I've only seen it in conjunction with
> NFS...  I'm not (mentally) prepared to go through round three in the
> rigors of NFS installation and configuration.
>
> So my question:  Does mounting the CD at boot (and leaving it mounted)
> cause any unnecessary roughness to the physical drive?
>
> Are my assumptions about autofs wrong with relation to NFS?

Yes. You can easily install autofs without using NFS. autofs can
_also_ be used to mount nfs automagically, but that is another matter.

You should take a look at the man pages for autofs and auto.master to
see how everything works. There is even an example fo auto mounting
cdroms if I remember right.

> Is there a daemon out there similar to autofs that will mount devices
> when needed?

There is a BSDish variant, called amd and being implemented entirely
in userland.

H.

------------------------------

From: "shanks01" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XF86Config problems (trying to set monitor resolutions)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:34:47 -0700
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

I dunno if this will work... I once had the same problem and resorted to a
re-install to solve it... not very satisfying I can tell you.

Anyway, try running xfs when you log in.  I seem to recall someone hinting
that this problem has to do with the X font server not running, and I think
the xfs command issued by root gets it going again.  Then I would try
starting up X by using the startx command.  If that gets X running again,
shut down your X session, and try rebooting to see if the problem went away.

Also, from Elric_Red:
> Sound like the -nodaemon switch is missing
> Check the /etc/inittab file you should have a entry like this
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

The x5 line refers to run level 5, which means you go straight into the GUI
after boot up.  Run level 3 means you stay in command line mode after boot.
Run level 1 is a single user command line mode used when things screw up and
you need to get in to repair the system.  There are 6 commonly used run
levels, but these are the only three yoully need to know about at this
stage.

I sure hope at least some of this helps, and if you do find a fix (short of
re-installing) please let me know.  I don't know how I caused that situation
on my system, and would like to have a tested solution should it happen
again!

Phil Shanks

Soltzer wrote in message <7r9fif$h6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I'm a new linux user (as of this morning).  I'm running Redhat 6.0 on a
>P2-333 Dell XPS w/ a Dell D1025HTX 17" monitor and a Diamond FireGL 1000
PRO

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Q: PCMCIA IDE Controler + IDE Harddisk
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:46:52 GMT

Hello,

here in Japan, there are CDROMs with IDE-PCMCIA cards on the market
available as well as SCSI-PCMCIA cards. What is not availible are
PCMCIA-IDE cards or adaptors to hook up an ide (desktop) harddisk to a
Notebook.

Why is that ? For technical reasons ? Or for marketing reasons (i.e.
the computer industry wants to push SCSI which is more expensive) ?

Thanks,

Tilman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: voodoo2 and slackware 4.0 and quake3
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 06:56:00 GMT

andy:/q3/q3test# ldd ./linuxquake3
                      libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
(0x4000c000)
                      libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
(0x4009e000)
                      libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x400ae000)
                      libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x400b1000)
                      libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x400ca000)
                      libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4016f000)
                      /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(0x40000000)

I have read about the libc5 and libc6 problems. does it look like there
is a problem above?

I got a little further today and now I get the following error

WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 bit aligned
running slackware linux 4 and voodoo2

Any ideas once again?

thanks

Andy

From: "Richard S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video card issue
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:07:09 -0500

I'm a nubie as will become painfully obvious if you continue reading! =
When I upgraded to my new ATI AIW 128 PCI card w/16 mg running the Rage =
128 chip two months ago I "lost" my Linux-Mandrake 5.3 distribution that =
was working so nicely. When I saw this post about the SuSe XServer, I =
immediately downloaded the server and their version of XF86Setup. =
However I could only download the rpm for the server.  I tried to open =
each of the rpms with a "rpm -ivh" command but it didn't work. Although =
a novice but still determined, I downloaded a 10 minute timed demo of =
XIG's $100.00 Desktop Accelerated -X Server which is quite nice.  I =
quickly went to the RPM manager on the KDE desktop and tried to install =
both RPMs; however both failed as they were missing a "ton" of file =
dependencies. I couldn't print the list (HP Windows only printer) and =
couldn't spare the time against my 10 minutes on the demo to write down =
all the missing files. I figure I have maybe 6 minutes left. (I lost a =
little time going back into the setup program to re-configure my mouse =
and then a minute to check out the quality/speed of this server looking =
at picture in the GIMP)  Is there any way to download and install the =
"core" SuSE components that must be lacking in my Mandrake enhanced Red =
Hat 5.2 distribution of XFree86 so I can use the free SuSE XServer?

--=20
E-Mail is Anti-Spam Enabled
 Do not use your "Reply" Button
Click:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]=20

Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>=20
> Susheel Yadav wrote:
> >=20
> > Hi,
> > I have installed RedHat Linux 6.0 on my computer with ATI Rage 128 =
VR=20

------------------------------

From: Harald Wagener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Sep 1999 11:22:18 +0200

You could use mc to extract the XServer standalone, as well as
XF86Setup and the two other files from the file xfsetup.rpm.

Then You should be able to install without problems by hand.

(alternatively to using the SUSE XF86Setup, i assume You could also
use the standard Xconfigurator/xf86config, choose SVGA as the server
and before starting X, replace the link from /<whatever>/XF86_SVGA to
/etc/X11/X to /<whatever>/XFcom_128 (if that is the name, don't know
from the top of my head).

Hope that helps,
        H.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Agfa Scanner and AVA1505 Controller
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:33:19 +0200

 My Suse 6.1 Linux doesn't recognize the AVA1505 SCSI-Card. Please help me
if
 you can!!
 Thanx
 Daniel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jaakko Heikkila)
Subject: AMD K6-2/300
Date: 10 Sep 1999 09:26:25 GMT

I am having problems running Linux (RedHat 5.2) with K6-2/300 and AOpen AP5T-3
motherboard. Booting usually gives irq timeout errors, filesystems get corrupted
and new installation hangs when it tries to read from cdrom. When my processor
is manufactured if its date code is AFR? Is it possible I have a faulty K6?

BTW. Windows works as fine as it can... not very well.

--
Jaakko Heikkilä                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Uwe Borchert)
Subject: Re: Q? - best combo of linux distrib and apps for 3rd world
Date: 10 Sep 1999 11:47:18 +0100

Hello,

..[...]...

>       I have used The Xwindows System on a 486 Dx2/66mhz machine
>with 8mb of ram. need I say, it could not run netscape very well and
>it crawled! I have Xwindows on my same machine with 20mb of ram and it
>still crawls a little.

The main problem is the ISA-Bus and the graphic adapter. You can speed
ist up using the B&W X-Server. On a 386dx40 with 8M RAM and a Trident
8900 512MB TVGA adapter X is much more faster in B&W. The color Server
crawls, The B&W server works well.

>       The X windows system in my situation is not my main interface
>however, standard ASCII is.

It realy depends of the bustype and the graphic adapter.

..[...]...

>       Thats true. Doesn't anyone have a recomendation for a Word
>processor that can be used with ncurses or slang? on a standard
>console or a remote terminal? He would need something like that. I
>myself use vim and groff so I am not a definitive source for info on
>fancy word processors.

Why not use a cheap DOS? Free- oder DrDOS? And throw a free GUI over
it, like GEM/3 with the GemWrite Programm? This should run on any
286 with 1 MB. Ich believe that you would have problems in the 3rd
World to get a 486dx33 with 16M Ram. But there might be enough 286
around. User Linux Boxes as a server with telnet login, where the
users can read their Mail or browse with lynx. This should work. Or
better: you find a free X-Server for DOS and give the server more
RAM if posible.

..[...]...
>>The other issue is HD space.  I think you're going to have a hard time
>>squeezing what you need into 400MB.
..[...]...

3 years ago I installed Debian Linux with X, Netscape 3.0 an a few
other toys on a 130 MB hdd. You may not need much more than 200 today.

Ciao

Uwe Borchert

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 22:46:01 +0200
From: Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: s3 trio 3d/2x

From: Rico Barth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and hardware RAID
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:40:37 +0200

Hi Alan!

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Alan Murphy wrote:

> RedHat 6), this machine MUST have some form of RAID, I would prefer it to be
> Hardware.  Anyone got any suggestions/experience of specific RAID
> controllers

The ICP vortex controllers works fine. The manuals and many other
documents you can find at

http://www.icp-vortex.com/prod/prod_e.html

and on the SuSE-Linux CD's there are the drivers and managementsoftware.
but I don't know if RedHat has also these driverpackages on his CD's.

CU

Rico

--

Rico Barth

E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

W3:      http://www.mathe.tu-freiberg.de/~barth/

------------------------------

From: Rico Barth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftape4.03pre2 and ditto800 problem
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:50:47 +0200

Hi,

I've got the last version aof ftape (4.03pre2). At compiling an installing
this package there are no faults and the modules ftape, zftape and
bpck-fdc are found in the lib-paths correctly. but at the installation
into the kernel with insmod with the options

option ftape ft_fdc_driver=bpck-fdc,none,none,none

in /etc/conf.modules there was a error (printed with dmesg):

bpck-fdc.c (bpck_fdc_query_proto) -Got 0x00, expected either 0xc0 or 0x40
bpck-fdc.c (bpck_fdc_query_proto) -Got 0xf8, expected either 0xc0 or 0x40
bpck-fdc.c (bpck_fdc_detect) -can't find bpck interface ....

that happens under the following hard- and softwareconfiguration:

Hardware:

P133, Asus Triton Board
PCI-videocard with S3-chipset
PCI-SCSI TekramDC390(T)
Standard-Floppy-Controler  onbaord
EIDE-Controler  onboard

SCSI-CD-R Sony
EIDE-HD WD 3,5Gb
1,44MB Floppy internal
IOMEGA ditto 800 at Parallelport

Software:

Suse Linux 6.0 Kernel 2.0.36
Floppy is static in kernel
Standard-Ftape-module is not in the kernel
printer-module  as Modul, to remove it from the kernel by conflicts with
  ftape (common ioport 0x378)
ftape version 4.03pre2
tar (from Suse Distr.)
taper (from Suse Distr.)

Both tar and taper breaks with the errormessage:

/dev/ftape: cannot open device

I hope anybody can help, because howto, faq and the other newsgroups
couldn't it.

CU

Rico

From: Markus Bangerter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Sparc
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:00:49 +0200

==============A02F32740EF918255942C04F

which on is the best linux distribution for sun sparc systems?

i know that red hat is selling linux for sparc. are there others ?

regards

markus
==============A02F32740EF918255942C04F

begin:vcard
n:Bangerter;Markus
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Nextra (Schweiz) AG;Service Design & Consulting
adr:;;Merdiedweg;Niederwangen;;3172;Switzerland
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Markus Bangerter
end:vcard