Linux-Hardware Digest #221, Volume #14           Mon, 22 Jan 01 07:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: To all linux user...... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story...... ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Advice wanted - problem when unmounting CDROM in Panasonic SR8585B drive in RH7
("Brian Morrison")
  Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story...... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HOW DO I INSTALLED WVDIAL??????? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How does "Tom's Hardware PC" sound for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: To all linux user...... ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Parallel Port Troubleshooting (Axel Bergerhoff)
  Re: MVP3 IRQ hell (Man Drake)
  Modem/Sound IRQ conflict, help! (Man Drake)
  Re: Attention Harry or anyone... I don't have this command....... (John Thompson)
  Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story...... ("Tina Carter")
  Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story...... ("Tina Carter")
  Re: It's racism to hate Microsoft with fraudulent and inflammatory argument (Kenneth
Rørvik)
  Re: To all linux user...... ("Tina Carter")
  Re: Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me.... (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: To Linux Nazi ("Tina Carter")
  Re: Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me.... ("Tina Carter")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: To all linux user......
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:56:49 GMT

I hope tina is 6 years old or from a country where english is a 4th or
5th language.

In article <aNDa6.10906$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I say Linux is most ugly thing every happen, It will hurt you
right? Now
> Imagine yourself someone from Ms Windows side when you hate us same
way you
> will GET SAME RESPOND.
>
> I am come here to get some help in Simple words which I can
understand. But
> you know there are people who laugh at windows over and over at some
people
> you linux terrorist need to get something back.
>
> I would like to think of myself as computer student, YOU DONT' INSULT
ME AND
> MY FAVOIRTE OS and I won't insult you and your favorite stuff. Point
of my
> posting is some of your are extremist no matter how many time you post
you
> gotta insult us. But I am not one of those MS Windows user who will
just be
> quite and read and listen to your garbage, I will retaliate.
>
> I wanna learn Linux peacefully so let's not get into each other way,
if you
> can't help me don't respond but If you can I thank you but don't
insult me
> and my Microsoft OS or your linux terrorism and racism will be answer
and
> PURGED.
>
> Thank you
>
> Respectfully
> Tina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story......
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:15:29 GMT

Tina Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've been trying to ask over and over again how to installed my modem it
> seems people don't know or just don't tell and some nice people do tell but

You mean "I don't understand ther instructions"

> I don't know how to do it or My Linux can't do it.

Where do you get your writing skills from? This is poorer than
age 11 level of skill, surely!

> Now there is command "make Makefile" I can't use it......
> In my corel Linux it says bash command not found. There is File Makefile

So install "make". Apparently you didn't. And install a C compiler
while you are at it!

And please, do NOT attempt to compile your own stuff. Use your distros
packages.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Brian Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Advice wanted - problem when unmounting CDROM in Panasonic SR8585B drive in
RH7
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:53:34 +0100 (BST)

OK folks, I'd appreciate some pointers as to what to do to diagnose a
problem with my Panasonic SR8585B CD/DVD drive under RH7 (2.2.16-22 and
2.4.0 kernels).

Symptoms are that the drive will often (always?) refuse to unmount
claiming device busy and any subsequent CD inserted shows large
quantities of files and directories called ???? where the number of ?s
can be quite large.

Anyone know if the drive firmware is a bit odd, or could it be a
chipset issue? Using an Asus A7V with the drive on the ATA66 secondary
controller. I'm planning to migrate to the Promise ATA100 controller
soon, but in both cases the drive is the master and has the IDE bus all
to itself.

TIA

--
Brian Morrison                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               to reply, change address from 'news' to 'bdm'

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:07:42 GMT

Because you have not installed it, just like wvdial!

Just like internet explorer 5 has to be installed on to NT4.0.

Corel is essentially debian, so do some reading on dpkg, apt-get and
check out debian.org's documentation.

Somewhere on that cd of yours is a .deb file with wvdial in the name.
find it, and try dpkg -i (that filename).deb It might have dependancies,
I don't use wvdial, if it does, it will tell you about the other progs
you need. Find their .debs, and install them with dpkg -i

Here's some extra exclamation points and repeated letter, maybe  they'll
make things clearerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In article <YCQa6.11488$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Ray.
> The thing is that, I don't know if there is wvdial and I can't tell
nor I
> can installed I can uzip file and the folder but that's about it....
> Make and Makefile don't workkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
> WhY??????????
>
> "Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:28:16 -0500, Tina Carter
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote:
> > >I've been trying to ask over and over again how to installed my
modem it
> > >seems people don't know or just don't tell and some nice people do
tell
> but
> > >I don't know
> > >how to do it or My Linux can't do it.
> > >
> > >Now there is command "make Makefile" I can't use it......
> > >In my corel Linux it says bash command not found. There is File
Makefile
> > >came with wvdial but it doesn't work......
> >
> > Hold on, Corel Linux should come with wvdial already compiled.  Just
look
> at
> > the instructions for installing new software and follow them to
install
> the
> > package "wvdial".  You should NOT have to compile anything.
> >
> > --
> > Ray

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW DO I INSTALLED WVDIAL???????
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:25:30 GMT

Tina Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am in my gui Kd window.

KDE desktop.

> Now I Click on Application Starter
> Then, Applications
> Then, Network
> Then Dial-Up.

Do not do any of that. Nobody can help you if you insist on using some
obscure gui frontend.

> Then small window appear saying
> MODEM READY.
> MODEM INITIALIZING.

> WHERE THE HELLLL IS DIAL?

Presumably you used kppp to try and dial with. Click on help, and
follow the nice instructions in big rint ;-). I would guess that your
modem never initializes, so it never gets asked to dial. That
would indicate that it is not a modem, but a winmodem.  IS it?

Toss it if it is, but go to the linmodems.org page first to check.

> Now anyone understand this? Or do I have to do something like configure? I
> can't USE MAKE OR MAKEFILE COMMAND.

Yes you can. Make is a command. Makefile is a file. You'll be able to
use make just fine as soon as you install it.And you'll need a C
compiler too!

> I typed them in In Linux Command Winows and it's says Such command doesn't
> exist....

> Why ?????

Because it doesn't. But it didn't say that. You misquoted.

> How do I installed wvdial or whatever I need to do?

You follow the instructions. But just get your distros package.

> If I buy external modem WILL I GOT THROUGHT SAME DAMMMM THING?

Go through.

I hope so. You deserve it.

> WHICH ONE IS GOOD MODEM FOR LINUX, WILL I HAVE TO CONFIGURE? AND HOWWWWWW, I

Any modem works. If you try a winmodem instead, then your chances are
about 40/60.

> CAN'T EVEN CONFIGURE THIS ONE......
> I AM NOT VERY STUPID AND NOT LAZY I SPEND ANOTHER 6 FREAKING HOURS AND GOT

Convince me. Show me your SAT scores.

> NOTHING... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN MAKE OR MAKE FILE COMMAND....... THERE IS
> NON IN MY LINUX......
> WHY?????????

Well, those biassed onlookers would probably suggest that you were stupid
and mentally unbalanced, but I guess you don't think so. It's all a
communinist plot to make you feel bad, isn't it .. maybe they just didn't provide
you with the right CD for your distro. They're probably laughing at the
joke they played on you back at the shop.

> I am frusteated I read and read and configure HOW DO I INSTALL SOMETHING
> WHICH I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO RUN?

Why would you want to run it if you haven't yet installed it? And I
install things that I don't know how to run all the time! I find out
hoow to run them after installing them.

> IN WINDOWS I TYPE SETUP.EXE OR CONFIGURE IN DOS...
> BUT HOW TO I INSTALL THIS ? WHY MAKE AND MAKEFILE WON'T WORK IN MY
> COMPUTER?????????????

Because they do, but you haven't installed make, or a whole raft of
other things, one would suppose.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me....
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:15:12 GMT

There aren't words simple enough.

In article <55za6.10832$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can you plz put in SIMPLE WORDS
> what do I do with this?
> http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/wvdial-1.41.tar.gz
>
> In my linux liek zip file it extract a folder and with sub folder from
above
> file
> now what do i do?
>
> I DON'T UNDERSTAND COMPLE AND RECOMPLE :(
> Please try to tell me in simple words...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How does "Tom's Hardware PC" sound for Linux?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:26:04 GMT

> >> Case
> >> ATX Mid Tower with 300 Watt power supply
> >> $55.00
> >
> >Go with the 400W ATX supply. More power is good. AMD Athlon's DO like
to eat.
> >;-)  www.datawarehouse.com has the Antec 400W ATX supplies at about
$85 and
> >they're AMD approved!
>
> As are the Antec 300W units.  Really 300W is plenty for the type of
system
> this guy is putting together.

What would be a good power supply for a box with 3 10K scsi and maybe an
IDE harddrive, a floppy, a cdrom, a big graphics card and sound? Maybe
even a dual CPU system.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:55:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <aNDa6.10906$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I would like to think of myself as computer student, YOU DONT' INSULT ME AND
>> MY FAVOIRTE OS and I won't insult you and your favorite stuff. Point of my
>> posting is some of your are extremist no matter how many time you post you
>> gotta insult us. But I am not one of those MS Windows user who will just be
>> quite and read and listen to your garbage, I will retaliate.

> I hope tina is 6 years old or from a country where english is a 4th or
> 5th language.

No, if you look she's using consistent (ly wrong) sentence structures.
It's a devolved form of english. Most tenses have disappeared,
lots of articles have gone, and transitive and intransitive verbs are
used alike.

I wish I could say that it were probably "murrican white redneck"
speak, but it's not. Looks like it may be inner city black slang.

The writer is possibly intelligent, but is trying to communicate using
the language of children, which makes her appear unintelligent. One would
estimate an age of below 11 from the writing skills, but maybe she's never
been educated to write, so that that's just what she is, effectively!
There's definitely a cultural problem, in that she's obviously not used
to expressing herself in writing, and possibly not used to logical
thought.  She's also hung up on attitudes of attack/defense.  Any
criticism is treated as an attack.  That's ghettoism, all in all, I guess.

One should probably encourage her.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Axel Bergerhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parallel Port Troubleshooting
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:41:48 +0100

Running SuSE 6.4, kernel 2.2.14 I made a Lj4 run the following way:
1. printer setup with yast: "Ljet4"
2. if necessary (e.g. when set to 0x3bc), edit io-address in /etc/modules.conf,
int may be "none"
3. in KDE use Laserjet-Tool and set printer to "lp"
4. KDE printer queue: queuing and printing on
5. fromm application print to "lp" (_not_ raw, lp2,..)

Maybe that helps.

Good luck

Axel Bergerhoff

------------------------------

From: Man Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MVP3 IRQ hell
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:30:02 -0000

I am having the exact same problem.  The BIOS is *forcing* me to assign
the same IRQs to my modem and sound card, and no matter what I change in
the BIOS they're always the same.  So either I can enable ALSA and get the
sound to work, or disable it and my modem works.  Is linux not capable of
sharing IRQs?  How can I load ALSA and get my modem working at the same
time!??

From: Man Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem/Sound IRQ conflict, help!
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:30:03 -0000

My mobo has onboard sound (VIA686a), and I recently installed a hardware-
modem for Linux.  My problem is, the BIOS is linking these two devices
together and assigning them the same IRQ, and there is NOTHING I can do to
change that!  I've tried everything in the BIOS screen, they always get
assigned the same IRQ.  So I get into Linux, and if I enable the ALSA
drivers I get sound and no modem, or if I disable the ALSA drivers the
modem works fine.
Both devices are being assigned IRQ 5.
mobo:  FICA AZ11, with VIA686a onboard sound
modem: Actiontec 56012-CW call waiting modem
Linux Mandrake 7.2, with ALSA .5.10a

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Attention Harry or anyone... I don't have this command.......
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:08:12 -0600

Tina Carter wrote:

> I have got so far everything as far as extract file goes. I extract the
> folder in /home/tina.
>
> Now what do i do?
> How do I run "Makefile"? I type this and I doesn't run......
>
> And few other things...
>
> This is my problem.....
> I have folder wvdial... But now what do I do?
>
> > The result is a dir, so go into that:
> >    cd wvdial-1.0.0
> > Using your editor, look at the README file.  You will find:
>
> > "To build and install WvDial, then:
> > make
> > make install
> you see I typed tis "make install" and it says bash doesn't have this
> command........
>
> I don't have any command called "make" or "make install" in my corel linux.

You need to install "make."  If you installed from a CD, it
should be on the CD, otherwise you can find it on the web.  IIRC,
Corel linux uses rpm, so you could go to http://www.rpmfind.net
and pick it up there.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:05:26 -0500

Don't try to make things diffcult......
Simple question was, Why my "Makefile" doesn't work.......?

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:15:37 -0500

Peter.... You are very strange person...... I said here in my limited damn
english, somwhere I don't have "MAKE" file...

Now....... I don't know why but I wanna fight with you... You make my moring
worse, this is 2nd morning and I am mad b/c of you, If you can read it YOU
WOULD KNOW WHAT i SAID..........

------------------------------

Subject: Re: It's racism to hate Microsoft with fraudulent and inflammatory argument
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:24:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tina Carter) wrote in
<0Oya6.10826$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

><Snap off> if it is a winmodem, the fact that it
>> works with wintendoze is irrelevant.
>
>I'm sorry to get personal here. But have to say this.

The above (true) statement about winmodems hardly justifies your blowing
off steam like this, IMHO :)

As for the rest of your argument, take a cold shower and come back after
having tried to actually understand what Linux is all about.

>And Linux is very SENSITIVE. How is that?  Well all the words have to be
>exactly big or small other wise it won't read it.

Just means the user has to know what he/she's doing.

>Sure one won't mind doing all this things. BUT LINUX DOESN'T MAKE IT
>EASYYYYYYYY.
>There are noooo simple way to do it.

Funny, I'd say the same about Win ME....

>by the way how come linux
>can't use CPU 1000MHZ? Guess it's Intel and Amd fault too huh?

My T-bird 1000MHz runs Linux mandrake 7.2 beautifully. Installed in 15
minutes and 1 reboot, as opposed to the 3 hours of 15 (!) reboots and
swearing at the display when trying to get Win ME to run all my hardware
correctly. It's really quite simple: For any (more than slightly) advanced
user, Linux does almost all Windows can - better and faster.

Have a nice day (and do consider that cold shower, will you??)!
--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:31:49 -0500

Once again you have come up with another idiotic fraudulent argument. My
English is just fine, It's my spelling, I'm from Finland.  But now I live in
Canada, I can speak in Russian, Finns, French. and little bit English. And I
am not a child, I'm 16, going to 17.  I maybe a girl but I can beat the hell
out you....

You know, you live in most strange bizarre place or it's just something in
you picking up someone weakness, you say my English is bad, but what about
you huh? You read less and "talk" which eventually become "barking' now don'
t get offensive.

I stated I CAN'T USE MAKE. I extract folder, Now I know I don't have make
command and I just downloaded.

Maybe you need to educated yourself and learn HOW TO READ AND THEN RESPOND,
otherwise people will think you are an educated ignorant.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:42:55 GMT

<LWya6.10828$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I am going to try once again step by step hopefully this may work, I
>wont lie to you, Linux makes me angry. It's program which is not right,

Trust me, it's right, but it takes a lot of getting used to. Once you are
comfortable with it, you'll love it.

>maybe i'm too much windows user but comfort is one thing i look for and

Like others say, comfort and freedom are somewhat exclusive of eachother.
Linux requires the user to know a lot more about the system that lies
underneath.

>right now I'm verrrrrry angry I spent 2 hours and got nothing done in
>linxu :((((( I have no idea how to recompile this stuffff and Corel
>Linux is verrrrrry stupid.. I had chance to buy redhate one but I got
>this one :( which is not nice at allllll.

May I point you to a site with lots of info for newbies?? See
www.linuxdoc.org. The HOWTOs should be of particular interest. I'd
recommend Mandrake 7.2 as a beginners distro - it should be able to set up
all your hardware quite nicely - except the modem, which quite frankly is
not supported by Linux at the moment - and probably will never really be.
I'd strongly recommend getting an external modem, which is not only better
supported, but a better technical solution too (Winmodems use the CPU to a
great extent, whereas external modems use their own hardware much more)

BTW, did the cold shower work?? No pun intended... people on usenet tend to
really be into the subject of the group, so posting ad-hominem and not to
the point will only get you lots of flames. Try consise on-the-subject
posts, that will get you much farther ;)

Other than that, do read www.linuxdoc.org. Most of your initial questions
on linux will be answered there.

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Linux Nazi
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:56:44 -0500

Assuming no one is exaggerating in thinking they are you an educated idiot,
someone (like me) would remotely resemble you with people who are
inflitrated of others weakness.

You provoke other people and then you concentrate on summarizing your
prominent stupidity. Many people may favored you in this group because of
your predominant complaint about my weakness.

You would evade answering question and PROVOKE me when you insulted and use
inflammatory and racist remarks towards Microsoft users,  and then expect us
to wash away your racist behavior, you have rear talent of replacing truth
with your lies and hope we will fall in web of your lies...

Please don't massacre truth for your hypocrisy.

Respectfully
Tina

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:59:29 -0500

Another fraudulent argument and another posting for no reason. You never
answer question but try to fold "weakness" and hope other will concentrate
on that factor.