Linux-Hardware Digest #290, Volume #11           Sun, 19 Sep 99 15:13:29 EDT

Contents:
  about pnp modem setup  (Ricky)
  BT878KHF Chip ? ("Andrew Taylor")
  Install Fails (Gordon)
  SB EnsoniqPCI + old 8bit SB in OSS/free? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SB EnsoniqPCI + old 8bit SB in OSS/free? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Diamond Viper V770 16MB (Matt Gullam)
  Re: Athlon Motherboard!!?? (C. C. McPherson)
  Re: 2940 timeouts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Newbie...Is my modem working? (William Hamblen)
  Re: Diamond soudcard (Ric Stephens)
  Re: UniChip-486 WB Motherboard ("Jelle")
  Re: Diamond Viper V770 16MB (Leonard Evens)
  REQ: Info on my NIC  see message (Crunch the Ogre)
  Re: ktc230tx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Motherboard sugestion ("Dan Grassi")
  graphic tablet pearl pad pro xxl and genius hyperpen (f1ayr)
  Re: panasonic cd burner ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  zip problem (rICaRdo FraDinHO)
  Re: Need an honest appraisal of CPU performance (xero33)
  Ensoniq AudioPCI troubles, no system sounds in kde. (Josquin Hoens)
  Re: support for secondary IDE interface... (rajiv kukreja)
  Re: support for secondary IDE interface... (rajiv kukreja)
  Re: support for secondary IDE interface... (rajiv kukreja)
  Re: SB Live under SMP kernel? (Matt Goss)

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:21:33 +0800
From: Ricky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about pnp modem setup

How can i use isapnp to setup my internal supra express 336i
multinational modem?

Ricky

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BT878KHF Chip ?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:57:38 +0100

Hi,

I've just picked up a Modular Technology TV card for £20, it's PCI and uses
the Bt878KHF chip. I've just done a dejanews search and some people were
talking about it back in april. Did anyone get anywhere? I can get the card
setup but I just can't pick any channels up with kwintv or xawtv.

Regards Andy

------------------------------

From: Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install Fails
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:13:06 -0400

Here's what I have:

Supermicro P6SLS MB w/ PII 300, 326mb ram,  on-board Adaptec 2940UW  w/
1 50 pin ultra & 1 68
pin ultra-wide connection.

Seagate hard drive ST19171N (id0)
Seagate hard drive ST15150N (id1)
Exabyte 8mm tape drive (id 4)
Toshiba cdrom (id5).  Terminated

The SCSI terminator on the MB is jumped. Theses devices are connected to

the ultra port on the MB with a
50 pin ribbon cable.

Windows 98 (please forgive me...it was only a test).. installs fine. I
can add/delete programs, play games..etc. I then fdisked the drives.
When I attempt to custom install Redhat Linux 6.0, it fails at either/or
the
point where it try's to create the bootdisk
or try's to write the bootloader to disk. A custom install with Redhat
5.2 fails at the point
where it asks to Install or Upgrade. The err msg is....."Bad option
'macrofiles' at /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc:204....Fatal Error Opening
RPM Database".
I have verified the install cd's for Redhat by installing each  on an
IDE system with 2 9gb IDE drives. Both worked fine.

When both installs scan the scsi system, they both find 3 adaptec
hosts...2740-2840-2940.

Is my problem the 'Narrow drives' on an 'Ultra bus' .  I have upgraded
my bios which in-turn upgraded the on-board adaptec. Before the bios
upgrade, neither version of Redhat would detect the on-board scsi host
adapter.

Any info will be helpful.

Gordon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SB EnsoniqPCI + old 8bit SB in OSS/free?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:28:51 GMT

Hello,

Has anyone attempted to (SIMULTANEOUSLY) setup Ensoniq AudioPCI sound
card AND an old 8-bit Soundblaster card using OSS/free?
I have RH6.0. Each of the cards are supported individually under
OSS/free and doc says only multiple soundblastes are supported
(SB EA-PCI is not listed).
I have to resort to this because, I cannot get the 'EXTERNAL' MIDI
port on my SB EA-PCI to work :-(
So I thought about using the MIDI port on my old SB (8-bit) card
for external MIDI purposes and the Ensoniq card for PCM.
Will this work?
Any suggestions/comments?
Thankx.

Regards
Thas

From: Matt Gullam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper V770 16MB
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:37:42 +0000

boothie wrote:

> It's my first attempt at setting Linux up.  I have Caldera's Open Linux 2.2
> and can't seem to get it to work with my graphics card (Diamond Viper V770
> 16MB).  Should I download the Nvidia X server stuff?

yes

--
Matt Gullam
Kill the earwigs to reply.

"And what will Father Christmas bring, if everyone's gone shoplifting?
And you know the saddest thing, of all, is that there's nothing worth
stealing anymore."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. C. McPherson)
Subject: Re: Athlon Motherboard!!??
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:43:50 -0400

> "C. C. McPherson" wrote:
>
> > > I was wondering if anyone knows that will Linux work under the new
> > > Athlon motherboard, such as FIC, it has UDMA66, will Linux boot? I have
> > > Redhat 6 and a BX board now, plan to upgrad to Athlon 500... Thanks...
> > >

> > Currently there is really no reason to go to a Athlon mobo, all of them only
> > have been certified for 100Mhz FSB, thus, other than the faster processor you
> > really won't see a performance boost (Some of them go to 133Mhz, but haven't
> > been ceritified). Wait until you get the certified 200Mhz FSB mobo's.
>
> IBM is shipping 200 MB mobo Althions.  I saw a guy buy one in Best Buy
> yesterday!

This is very good new - Thanks for the tip.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2940 timeouts
Date: 19 Sep 1999 16:08:10 GMT

I'm having a problem similar to the one described below.
I did post this to alt.os.linux yesterday. Needless to
say, I, too, would like to resolve the problem.

Note: when I say "timed out" below, I mean the same thing
that Cris Collins says: I see a timeout, a "trying harder",
then a lockup.

********** Begin my post **********

********** End my post **********

------------------------------

From: William Hamblen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie...Is my modem working?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:04:32 -0500

BLAB <blab@@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

: I just installed Mandrake 6.0 & need to get on the net with my linux
: machine.  I tried using KPPP & switched the path? to the modem to all
: the available options.  /dev/modem, /dev tty0 etc.  I still get
: nothing.  The message comes back that the modem can't respond or that
: its busy.  Please help.  I learn a lot myself if I can just get
: connected.  Please keep in mind.  I am a total newbie!

What kind of modem is it?  Try simpler things first, like using minicom
to talk to the modem.  If you can get an "OK" back from the modem you've
won the battle.  If you have a winmodem you are out of luck as there is
not a Linux driver for those things.  The kind of modem you want is one
that looks like a 16550A chip (or similar) on the hardware interface.
You also want to make sure there are no i/o address or IRQ conflicts.
I think external modems are a little less trouble to get running as they
always are connected to normal serial ports that work very well with
Linux and you can watch the LEDs to get a clue about what is happening.
You do pay a bit more for them

------------------------------

From: Ric Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond soudcard
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:48:52 GMT

Shaun wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently purchased a new soundcard and was wondering whether
> anyone knows if it is possible to install a Diamond s90 soundcard under
> redhat
>
> regards
> Shaun

I think OSS has a (commercial, $20-$30) driver that (supposedly) works for
that chipset.
try
http://www.opensound.com

I tried the OSS driver for the Aureal Vortex (Diamond Sonic Impact) with
limited sucess, but finally broke down and bought a real soundblaster and
relegated the diamond card to a winbox.

------------------------------

From: "Jelle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UniChip-486 WB Motherboard
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:15:08 -0700

> >Thanks in advance!

> Ok, have you checked to be certain that the IDE drive itself
> is in working order? those look like the drive itself is muffed up.
> You did not mention the drive itself being tried by using another
> drive in the machine or trying this drive in another machine
> what are the settings in your cmos. do they match the drive's
> genometry? how about the cables going to the drive?
> It is my honest opionion that you need to try out another
> drive. while you are at it. get a larger unit and perhaps go to at
> least 20mb of ram since you have your case open anyway. check your
> cmos's battery to be sure it is fresh and if its a ni-cad. make sure
> it is not leaking. if so replace it now before  you lose your
> motherboard to electrolyte eating your Motherboard!)

Thanks for the input! Although I had tried a (very old) other harddisk,
based on your recommendations I thought, I'll take out an allmost full
harddrive and see whether  the Linux installation program detects it without
any problems.. And YES, it did, no errors!!

So first thing tommorow is to obtain a new (larger) harddisk, and I may
through in some RAM as well.....

And thanks for the tip on the battery, it still looks fine, but better sure
than sorry!!!

Thanks again!

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:40:09 -0500

Matt Gullam wrote:

> boothie wrote:
> >
> > It's my first attempt at setting Linux up.  I have Caldera's Open Linux 2.2
> > and can't seem to get it to work with my graphics card (Diamond Viper V770
> > 16MB).  Should I download the Nvidia X server stuff?
>
> yes
>
> --
> Matt Gullam
> Kill the earwigs to reply.
>
> "And what will Father Christmas bring, if everyone's gone shoplifting?
> And you know the saddest thing, of all, is that there's nothing worth
> stealing anymore."

I just configured X on a Dell which I'm pretty sure has this
card.  I was able to get it to work under RH6.0, but it was
a bit easier after upgrading to the latest version of the
XFree package.  One of the Diamond Viper cards listed when
running Xconfigurator mentioned the 770 I believe and it
worked.  But it gave us an ridiculously high default resolution
which made it hard to read icon labels.  So I experimented with
choosing various different resolutions instead.  I found the
best choice for the particular 19 in monitor we had was to
use 16 bit color.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Crunch the Ogre)
Subject: REQ: Info on my NIC  see message
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:56:31 GMT

Hi Linux folks. I have some difficulty in getting my NIC to work correctly
with linux. I do not know the actual manufacturer of the card. I purchased
these NIC's for my home network and the blaze under Win98 but there is not
reference drivers for Linux.

Card specs. 32-bit Fast Ethernet PCI 10/100, the chip on the card is labelled
MPX
EN5038

The only other sticker that I could find on the card had the following listed

NX-10100D

I was able to track down the drivers using the NX-10100D and the site that I
got them from said that this was an Accton OEM card. I have been to acctons
site and that particular chip is not listed. I also used a EN5038 search and
came up with a few sites that are selling these cards but there is no
manufacturer listed.

The driver disk does come with SCO Unix drivers ver 3.x and 5.0. could one of
these be ported over to Linux?????

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ktc230tx
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:58:20 GMT

> I am having difficulties finding a driver for a KTC 230tx fast
ethernet

That should of course have read "kf230-tx" - made by kti networks
http://www.ktinet.com/products/Nic/kf-230tx.html

Thanks!

From: "Dan Grassi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motherboard sugestion
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:15:25 -0400

I am building a Linux box and need motherboard suggestions.  I need at least
(3) PCI slots and (1) AGP slot, USB & sound.  No on-board video, ethernet or
modem.  Intel or AMD is fine.  ATX board type.

I want to run Caldera's OpenLinux 2.3 on this system.

I was looking at a SuperMicro board that PenguinComputing uses in their AMD
model but it seems that they removed the motherboard info from their site.

Suggestions please?

Thanks,

Dan Grassi, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (f1ayr)
Subject: graphic tablet pearl pad pro xxl and genius hyperpen
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:07:27 GMT

Hello,

I've send a request for searching info about graphic tablet.
I search info about graphic tablet generally under linux
i have some info about summagraphics and wacom.
Who have info about this graphic tablet:

PEARL PAD PRO  XXL

GENIUS HYPERPEN

I have send a email in tech service. I wait an answer

thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: panasonic cd burner
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:14:00 +0100

mikael wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a panasonic scsi cd burner and a a scsi cd drive. Linux finds the cd
> drive but no the burner ?
> Have anyone had the same problem with this burner ?

it would help if you said exactly what model number the panasonic drive is.
also, how do you know the burner isn't recognized? what have you done to
test it? what were the results?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rICaRdo FraDinHO)
Subject: zip problem
Date: 19 Sep 1999 16:09:59 GMT

  I've bought an zip atapi drive and I come up with a problem :
 when I do an fdisk /dev/hdd ( where a have my zip ) it complains about
 the drive reporting two sizes.
  I have swapped the zip location in the ide controler and also swapped the
 cables. nothing changed.
  I put the zip in another computer with linux and it worked without a problem.
  I've tested the problem in my computer with linux 2.2.9 and 2.0.34.
 The oher computer was running linux 2.2.5

  Thanks in advance

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (xero33)
Subject: Re: Need an honest appraisal of CPU performance
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:21:21 GMT

Axis,

That all sounds fine, but $$$$ is a factor here.  I could build a dual
celery for the same or cheaper than a PII 400 (dual celery 400 vs PII
400 on ABIT BP6 vs ABIT BX6r2).  Also, 7200rpm DMA-66 drives are
comparable to SCSI and way cheaper!!

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:09:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:The other responses you got are pretty much on target--however, given
:the CURRENT prices for RAM (you just missed the boat on this), I'd
:stick with 128 MB.  More than adequate for what you're doing.  Also,
:I'd go with the PII 400 rather than the Celeron for two reasons:
:
:1)  You can use it with a BX motherboard, stable and fast; and
:
:2)  The larger cache will aide most graphics programs.
:
:A PII 400 is plenty of horsepower and not much more than comparable
:Celerons, which lose their attractiveness above 400 MHz.
:
:A TNT card would suit you well.  Very good performance, image quality,
:for very good price.  Works well with both NT and Linux.
:
:Spend your bucks on a SCSI controller (not on MB, so you can keep it
:when you upgrade in the future) and buy IBM hard drives.  Best hard
:drives available, hands down.  Faster, quieter, cooler, more reliable,
:sometimes cheaper!  Recommend 9.1 GB SCSI LVD.
:
:All recommendations are from experience.  I have used a wide variety
:of components in both professional and hobbyist environments.
:
:On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:20:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (xero33) wrote:
:
:>My current box is as follows:
:>
:>430TX MoBo
:>Intel Pentium 200Mhz MMX CPU
:>96MB RAM
:>6.4GB HD
:>4MB PCI Video
:>
:>It runs in a dual boot with Windows NT 4.0/SP5 and Linux Mandrake 6.0.
:>Under Windows NT, I run the following:  MS Office 97, IE5, Netscape,
:>PageMill, Outlook 98, Systat, HomeSite and ArcInfo.  Under Linux, I
:>run the following: StarOffice 5.1, Corel WordPerfect, Netscape, and
:>Gimp.
:>
:>When I am using this machine, I am constantly multitasking with up to
:>5 different programs open and working at once.  I do not do anything
:>like video editing/capture or play games.  Majority of work is report
:>writing, data crunching, internet researching, and website
:>development.
:>
:>The machine is O.K., but I have some spare $$$$ and want to build a
:>newer, faster system (within monetary constraints).  What I need
:>advice on is what friggin' CPU to use.  I have read all of the reviews
:>at Sharkys and Anadtech and Tom's, but I am still confused.  It seems
:>that Celerons would be a economical way to go and leave me some money
:>for more RAM.  From what I can tell a Celeron 433 would be similar to
:>a PII 400 and just a bit below a PIII 450.  Is this right?  These
:>tests were all done in controlled setups.  WHAT ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK
:>FROM PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR BOXES IN THE CONDITIONS OUTLINED ABOVE??
:>WHAT REALLY WORKS??  I don't need the newest and fastest by any
:>stretch.  Nor do I want to deal with overclocking or the PIII serial
:>number issue.  I also want to stick with Intel so please no replies
:>lauding AMD.
:>
:>I am considering the following:
:>
:>Abit BX2 or BM6 Mobo
:>Intel PII 400 (Slot 1) or Celeron 466 (PPGA)
:>128-192MB PC1000 SDRAM
:>Two 6.4 GB HD (Most likely Western Digital)
:>8-16MB AGP video card (Matrox or Diamond)
:>Enlight 7237 250W case
:>Teac Floppy drive
:>CD-RW (maybe)
:>
:>What do people think of the components outlined above for the way I
:>plan to use this box?  I am just trying to build a responsive box that
:>doesn't slow TOO MUCH when I have multiple programs up and running and
:>that is reasonably fast without killing my checkbook.
:>
:>
:>Thanks for everyone's feedback.  Please feel free to email at the
:>following:
:>
:>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:>
:

------------------------------

From: Josquin Hoens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI troubles, no system sounds in kde.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:16:24 +0200

Running SuSE Linux 6.1 with kernel 2.2.6, audiodriver es1370.c version
0.20 compiled in.

I am not able to use any system sounds in KDE 1.1 with my Ensoniq ES1370
chip via the kernel driver. KDE 's audiomodules (kaudioserver,etc.) are
loaded. A "cat /dev/sndstat" returns "device not supported". Playing
AudioCD's works very well though. I am able to use system sounds in
WindowMaker 0.53. and in KDE via the commercial OSS sound modules. Any
suggestions?

Also a quick note for all those people who are not able to get any
sounds from their soundcards with Ensoniq ES1370/1371 chip (e.g.
Creative Soundblaster pci 64/128): pump up the volume with for example
Xmixer, because the default master volume setting is very low :)

Thanks!

Josquin

------------------------------

From: rajiv kukreja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: support for secondary IDE interface...
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:35:43 -0400

hi,

i looked at the boot messages and all i see is the following....

        ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x5f6 on irq 14

so - it could be that the BIOS is not setup to recognize the 2nd channel -
is it ?
i'll try messing around with it - but how can i manually add support for the
2nd channel ( i could try the values listed in your output) ?

thanks
rajiv

------------------------------

From: rajiv kukreja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:37:12 -0400

hi,

------------------------------

From: rajiv kukreja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:38:26 -0400

hi,

------------------------------

From: Matt Goss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live under SMP kernel?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:31:24 GMT

I'm very much in the same boat as the other person with the Dual Celeron,
only that I already HAVE a SB Live Value.

Has anyone had any luck using an older driver with the SB Live in order to
get (at least) some sound??  -- I have not.

I tried all the SB drivers to no avail.  sndconfig tells me that a module
is busy and then it restarts sndconfig...

If anyone does have a way of getting any sound out of a SB Live w/ SMP
support please let me know!!!

THANK YOU!!!
Matt

miro at pobox dot com