From: "walter bambey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SONY SDT10000
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:09:55 +0200

hi folks,

I got a brand new SONY SDT10000 DDS4 tape, Sony told it would work with
SuSe-Linux and the generic SCSI module. But I don´t understand how to
configure the generic SCSI module.
The old tape SONY SDT9000 works with the st-module. The SDT10000 didn´t work
with the st-module. Who knows how to fix it.

thanks to all

Walter Bambey

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 3dfx.glide.linux
Subject: Re: Looking for Voodoo drivers...
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:17:20 -0700

Hi Chris,

for me next link works. You can experience some DNS problem which come from
your ISP if you can not go there

http://linux.3dfx.com/open_source/download/voodoo3_banshee.htm

Andrey

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:28:11 +0200
From: Rikard =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rklind?=
Subject: info on monitoring hw?

Hi, I want to write a little program that checks the cpu temperature and
reduces the fan speed if it's cold enough.
I now that the hardware is there, I have a asus p3b. Does someone know
where i can find technical information on this monitoring chip, or how
to program it?
Thanx!
/Rikard

------------------------------

Subject: Re: APM & SMP ;^(
From: smp root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:55:29 -0700

you should never use APM with a SMp machine, as the message
indicates, it's dangerous.  modern kernels do not enable APM when
compiled with SMP support, to stop this happening.

the most important thing is that when there is a power cut that
linux is shut down correctly, and that appears to be the case.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: APC USB Back-UPS Pro ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:31:05 GMT

Hi All,

I just recevied an APC Back-UPS Pro (USB version).  I know people have
gotten the serial port version working under Linux, but has anyone
gotten the USB version to work ? I checked un www.linux-usb.org, but
could only find a blank entry.

thanks in advance,
terry

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digital Video - Editing + Hardware + DVD
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:03:33 -0700

==============D18FA4401E241901F1BCF097

Hi there,

I'd like ask experienced people in Digital Video about some hardware and
software available for Linux. At the moment I have next Config

HW
MB       ASUS p2b
MEM      128 MB
VC       Matrox G400 32MB
IDE      on MB plus Promis Udma100
HDD      Fujitsu 8GB Udma33 plus Maxtor 20GB Udma100
CDROM    40X ATAPI
DVD      Pioner 10x40 slot
SCSI     Tekram 315U
IEEE1394 http://www.dazzle.com (basic card 99CA$)
SCANNER  UMAX2400S
PRINTER  Epson Stylus Color 860
DIGCAM   Toshiba PDR-5
CAMCODER Sony DCR-TRV720

SW
DUAL BOOT  Windows98 and Linux

LinuxSW
kernel   2.4-test4
usb      configured and works
ieee1394 configured and works
         dvgrab/Capture/MainActor/Broadcast

System works well enough although I use beta drivers and some software.
I able load/scan/print pictures at photo quality same as I get in
Windows.

I tried to find a way to grab a film which I did on my camcoder in Linux
and I did not had a luck till now. I can grab video strait from camcoder
in online mode but not from tape. dgrab can produce two types of files
one of them supported by MainActor software second one should be able to
be shown by xdvideo (do not remember exact name as I was not able to
comple it - need to fix it for RedHat which I use now). I did not try
Capture software yet to play this video file back but plan to do so.

I beleive that there are people who try to do the same things and
I would be very appreciate it they post here or email me to share their
experience in Digital Video World.

On another computer I have Hauppage WinTV DBX video card which suppouse
support video capture and I plan try it one day but for now I am more
intrested in getting new technologies to work for Linux like ieee1394
(FireWire) and DigitalCamcoder.

Unfortunately I found that Digital Camcoder which I have not able to
reproduce real colors indoor when you shoot from distance 25 and more
meters - it stall colors. Same happens when I film events like fireworks
- it stall colors of firework - there is no diffrence between blue, red
and green or it very small. Still film can be very interesting but
missing real colors. Night mode doesn't have a sence for case like this.
Ok, it is more about limits of cameras and hardware and I'd like to get
recomendation for hardware from people for whom it is hobby or
profession.

I will happy to contact people who has same area of interests like me to
exchange by information similar character and beyond of that my hobby
are - radio constructing an communications, paragliding, deltaplan,
mountain hiking, Linux and programming especialy UNIX
system/network/graphic and OOP.

Hope to hear soon from you experts and hope that many of you will became
my friend

Thanks all of you for any answer and help

Andrey
=====
Note: I am living in Vancouver, Canada and will very happy to have
friends from this beatifull city (I am living here only 1 year and 2
month). Sorry for my English as it still second language.

==============D18FA4401E241901F1BCF097

20GB Udma100</tt>
99CA$)</tt>
and I did not had a luck till now. I&nbsp;can grab video strait from camcoder
in online mode but not from tape. dgrab can produce two types of files
one of them supported by MainActor software second one should be able to
be shown by xdvideo (do not remember exact name as I was not able to comple
it - need to fix it for RedHat which I use now). I did not try Capture
software yet to play this video file back but plan to do so.
I&nbsp;would be very appreciate it they post here or email me to share
their experience in Digital Video World.
support video capture and I plan try it one day but for now I am more intrested
in getting new technologies to work for Linux like ieee1394 (FireWire)
and DigitalCamcoder.
reproduce real colors indoor when you shoot from distance 25 and more meters
- it stall colors. Same happens when I&nbsp;film events like fireworks
- it stall colors of firework - there is no diffrence between blue, red
and green or it very small. Still film can be very interesting but missing
real colors. Night mode doesn't have a sence for case like this. Ok, it
is more about limits of cameras and hardware and I'd like to get recomendation
for hardware from people for whom it is hobby or profession.
to exchange by information similar character and beyond of that my hobby
are - radio constructing an communications, paragliding, deltaplan, mountain
hiking, Linux and programming especialy UNIX system/network/graphic and
OOP.
my friend
friends from this beatifull city (I am living here only 1 year and 2 month).
Sorry for my English as it still second language.</tt>

From: "G. Frank Paynter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Data CDROM and 'gid=' mount option
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:08:13 -0400

We have a data CD with a bunch of files, all with uid=502, gid=502.  When
can mount the cdrom successfully as a user, but can't access the files.
When we (as root) look at the file ownership, we see that the files are
'owned' by whoever is uid 502 on the system on which the cdrom is mounted.
If (as is usually the case) the user who mounted the cdrom *isn't* uid 502,
then that user can't access the files.

OK, so after some study of the mount man pages, we changed the fstab line to
include the option 'uid=' (note the value is blank).  According to the
iso9660-specific options section of man mount, this is supposed to change
the ownership of all the files on the cdrom to be "the uid of the current
process", which we hoped was running as the current user.  This *did not*
solve the problem - the symptoms were the same as before.  However, when we
changed the fstab line to include 'gid=[value for the user who mounted the
cdrom]', then that user could mount the cdrom and access all the files.

The original fstab line was:

 /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

The lines for the 'gid=' trials were: (we tried several variations)

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
owner,uid=,gid=,noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 owner,uid=,noauto,ro
0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
owner,uid,gid,noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 owner,uid,noauto,ro
0 0

And the line that worked (sort of) was: (where 501 was the test user's uid)

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
owner,uid=501,noauto,ro 0 0

We would much prefer not to have to have a separate fstab line for each user
that wants to mount this particular cdrom and access the files.  Anyone have
a clue what we are doing wrong here?

TIA,

Frank

------------------------------

From: matthieu schipman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: internet and linux
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:37:53 +0200

hello,

i have a Redhat 6.0 and an Elsa extern modem.When I try to connect, it
works but I don't recieve any byte from my provider. only once, I had a
normal connection and I was able to send and recieve mails (with telnet
but not with Kmail).
Could anyone help me, please ?

      o o  o o            *--------------------------------------------*
     o\o / o\o            *       (-:     The Bonzai Team     :-)      *
     o o/oo ooo           *--------------------------------------------*
      o\/o \/o            *                                            *
       o\|o/o             *   BonZai KamikaZe :                        *
      ___||______         *          [EMAIL PROTECTED]          *
     /   ||     /|        *                                            *
    /  _/|\\_  / |        *   BonZai Yoda :                            *
   /__________/  /        *          [EMAIL PROTECTED]      *
   |____Team__|/          *--------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:50:11 +0200
From: "Cor H. Scholte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV Card support

Hello,

I am planning to buy a TV card, but also like it to work under Linux.
Who has positive results with using one under Linux?
Thanks for your reply,

Cor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Data CDROM and 'gid=' mount option
Date: 24 Jul 2000 21:53:34 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:08:13 -0400, G. Frank Paynter wrote:
>We have a data CD with a bunch of files, all with uid=502, gid=502.  When
>can mount the cdrom successfully as a user, but can't access the files.
>When we (as root) look at the file ownership, we see that the files are
>'owned' by whoever is uid 502 on the system on which the cdrom is mounted.
>If (as is usually the case) the user who mounted the cdrom *isn't* uid 502,
>then that user can't access the files.
[snip]
>And the line that worked (sort of) was: (where 501 was the test user's uid)
>
>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
>owner,uid=501,noauto,ro 0 0
>
>We would much prefer not to have to have a separate fstab line for each user
>that wants to mount this particular cdrom and access the files.  Anyone have
>a clue what we are doing wrong here?

Well, whoever made that CD should be hit with a Clue Stick... the
Rock Ridge permission bits should be set to 555 for every file, and
every file should be owned by UID 0, GID 0 since the UIDs don't
translate from machine to machine.

If nothing else, you can disable all the UID/GID stuff by putting
"norock" in the options field of the fstab line.  That will disable the
Rock Ridge extensions and allow everyone to read all the files, though
the filenames *may* revert to 8+3 MS-DOS land.  If the burners of that
CD were smart (doubtful!) and included the TRANS.TBL, then you'll get
long filenames as well.  Good luck, HTH.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin/   That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com    /    makes us stranger.
============================/            ==Trevor Goodchild

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dell Perc 2/si
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:51:12 -0500

Brian Boyd wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a Dell poweredge 2400 that I am trying to install Redhat 6.2 on.  I
> am having a difficult time in trying to get the OS to recognize the Raid
> controller I am using.
> From what I have read, there is a way to get the Perc 2/si to be recognized
> by Linux.  I was wondering if anyone has had success, and if so, where did
> they find the boot disk/ drivers for this card?

The drivers disk should be in the /images/drivers directory and named
something like gdth.img or gdth-drivers.img
That said, I don't know if it contains the Perc driver or not so no
flames.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Adding an Adaptec SCSI Card to Redhat 6.1
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:01:33 GMT

I am trying to get some old Sun Spac 20 equipment to mount on a Redhat
6.1 Installation I have.  The two devices that I would like to work are
a 9 GIG SCSI hard drive and a 8mm 5 gig external tape drive.

I installed an Adaptec 2930 scsi card and rebooted the machine.  Linux
detected the card at boot and now I can go to the control panel, kernel
configuration, and Linux show that there is an "scsi_host aic7xxx"
installed.

The problem that I am having is that I checked under dev and I cannot
seem to see a device for the tape drive no "rmt" or "0" listings.  In
addition I tried to mount any of the partitons on that old SCSI drive
and I cannot get anything to mount.

My theory at the moment is that Linux sees the SCSI card but not any of
the devices attached to the card.

Is there a reconfigure boot option for Linux, or am I doing something
else wrong?

From: Data Zone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV Card support
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:17:37 -0500

Almost any of Hauppauge's TV cards work very well.
I own a WinTV PCI, and with xawtv, the quality is very good.
The only problem you will have is using it with XFree86 4.0

Last time i tried it, xawtv didn't seem to be too happy with 4.0
It may have been fixed in  4.01 or a more recent release of xawtv.

but other than that, everything is fine.

Diablo2 is not just a game... at least that is what Baal told me last
night.

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon Motherboards
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:33:10 GMT

I have had BCM/GVC  QS750 running Linux since 9/99.
Used with RH 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:29:35 -0500, Francesco Spadini
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I am building a new Athlon-based system.  RedHat's compatibility
>documentation says that there are no promises when it comes to Athlon
>motherboards though.  Could anyone recommend some boards that are known to
>work well with RH 6.1 or 6.2?  Thanks in advance.

LILO version 21.5 (18-Jul-2000) source at
ftp: brun.dyndns.org   dir: /pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: juan jose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
es.binarios.sexo,es.comp.emuladores,es.comp.hardware.cd-rw,es.comp.hardware.misc,es.rec.juegos.comp.arcade,es.rec.juegos.comp.aventuras,es.rec.juegos.comp.simuladores.misc,es.rec.juegos.estrategia,microsoft.public.es.window
Subject: Re: servidor de news
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:49:53 +0200

news.ibernet.com
conexion excelente desde terra

TULIPA ha escrito:

From: "Brian Boyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:47:50 -0700

Answer from Dell tech support:

So if anyone is looking, here it is:

You may download the following files, PERC2DRV.ZIP (driver for the

embedded PERC) and PRC2DD21.ZIP (Install disk) from our website at

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/

to install RedHat Linux 6.2. Please use the option to search by

specific file name.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Subject: Re: UPS with serial port
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:00:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:

' David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
' >
' > I'm looking for recomendations for UPSs that Linux can work with to do
' > a proper shutdown.  Does Tripplite support Linux?  I've been told to
' > avoid APC because it only puts out 90v on battery.  I don't want to
' > waste my power supply.
'
' Please post a source for this crazy notion that APC's UPSs cut your
' voltage by 25% when on battery.

A friend of mine used APCs and noticed problems when they switched
over.  He measured the voltage output at only 90v.

' I use APC UPSs at home.  During full power outages, I can assure you
' that I'm not getting reduced voltages when on battery.  If I was, the
' monitor's picture would get smaller and go out of focus.

That was the problem he experienced.  Perhaps you have a better line
of APCs than my friend had.  It could very easily be that he had the
bottem end models or something.

However, another poster also mentioned that APCs were OK, and I've had
good luck with their surge protectors.  Had one occasion due to a car
hitting a pole where 2000 volts came into the building.  Blew up the
several breakers and toasted the APC.  The computer plugged into the
APC had no damage.  I was impressed.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

------------------------------

From: Phil LoCascio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.hardware
Subject: VW 540 + video card + linux ???
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:57:14 -0400

        Hello All,

Anybody know the status of the VW 540 and Linux regarding the cobalt
chipset ?

Failing that, anybody from SGI engr. willing to vouch to what might
happen if I stuck a PCI video card in to circumvent the cobalt display
buffer?

  I tried emailing everyone I had in my address book from engr.sgi.com
and they are apparently no longer working there!

    Kind Regards

    PHiL

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: info on monitoring hw?