From: MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Drivers for VIA 8400 video chipset
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:11:24 -0800

I have a system with a PC Chips M585LMR system board with a VIA 8400
PCI/AGP graphics chip set on board (Windows detects it as a Trident
8400).  I have installed Red Hat 6.1 on the system,.  X runs fine in
640x480, but I'd like to run at higher resolution.  I've checked the
compatability list, and don't see anything listed for it.  I've checked
the websites for VIA and PC Chips, but neither have Linux drivers for
the card in question.  A quick web search didn't turn up anything
either, in fact the latest posting I found on driverforum.com was a
couple of months old.

Does anyone know anything about Linux drivers for this chipset, or if
there's a compatible driver I can select to get X to run in a better
resolution?

Thanks,
MK

P.S. If anyone has a line of drivers for the other on-board devices
(LAN, Sound, Modem), I'd appreciate that as well.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Bagwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Blaster External?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 05:14:25 GMT

"John E. Maynus" wrote:

> I was wondering if Creative Labs External Modem Blaster would work under Lin
> ux?
> It's DE5620 off www.modemblaster.com I was told it was a USB modem and was t
> old it should work under Linux but was also told by someone they heard USB m
> odems didn't work under Linux. I read on off www.linuxnewbie.org that they d
> id but was a bit harder to get to work.
> I don't want to waste $90.00 or a USB external modem when I can buy a non-US
> B external for $100.00 at a different place.
> Would it be wise to get the USB one for $90.00?

Someone else can probably give you a better answer, but my understanding
is that Linux USB support is still...experimental?  It might work....

Tom B.

------------------------------

From: Paul Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ssh on RedHat 6.1
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 23:14:27 -0600

I am trying to get ssh2 to work on  a redhat 6.1 box.  I obtained the
sources to ssh2.0.13 , compiled it, and installed it according to the
quick start instructions provided with the source.  I followed the
instructions exactly.

I am running the sshd2 on the linux box (remote) and trying to connect
to it from a Solaris box (local) - also with the same version of ssh
installed.

The compilation and installation on both mechines seemed to go fine.

>From the local machine (solaris) hen I try:

ssh -l mylogin remotel_inux_host

I get:

Disconnected; authentication error (No further authentication methods
available.).

I am very new to ssh, and can't figure out the problem at all.  There is
no HOW TO that I could find.  I used all the defaults, and. as I said
above, followed the install instructions to the letter.

What should I be looking for as causes for my problem?

(Oh, I tried recompiling it with tcp wrapper support, and that changed
nothing - still get the same message.)

Thanks
Paul Phillips

------------------------------

From: Meir Levi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-ROM DOS Formatted Mount on Linux
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:24:40 -0800

I am downloading Linux files (Adobe Reader, etc.) with my Windows 95
system onto CD-RW burner, which is FAT32 formatted. This CD does not
"mount" on my Linux system, that is, Linux can not read from FAT32 CD.
Any suggestions please how to overcome this.

--
Meir Levi
Shoreline Commercial Real Estate, Inc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph Price)
Subject: drivers for Adaptec 29160N ?
Date: 29 Feb 2000 22:21:55 GMT

Are the drivers out yet for the Ultra 160 cards, in particular the Adaptec
29160N ?

(And where??)  :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Network Card Woes
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 05:46:00 GMT

I guess you've got PnP turned off in BIOS...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: CD-ROM DOS Formatted Mount on Linux
Date: 02 Mar 2000 00:53:36 EST

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:24:40 -0800, Meir Levi
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I am downloading Linux files (Adobe Reader, etc.) with my Windows 95
>system onto CD-RW burner, which is FAT32 formatted.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just how do you format a burner, exactly?  And if the CDs are using the
FAT32 filesystem, there's a Big Problem... CDs are supposed to use the
iso9660 or UDF filesystems!

>This CD does not
>"mount" on my Linux system, that is, Linux can not read from FAT32 CD.

Hmm.  Are you using some sort of "packet writing" software to put the
files on the CD?  If so, you might be out of luck.  Packet writing seems
to use the UDF filesystem format, which isn't supported yet in the stable
kernels.  http://trylinux.com/projects/udf for info and a patch or three.
Packet writing seems like a !@#$ing pain, while multi-session writing just
works.

If this is a CD-RW and you're trying to read it with a CD-ROM, watch
out... some older CD-ROMs can't read CD-RWs no matter what.

Can you mount and read a regular CD-ROM with your Linux system?  Let's
rule out that possibility too.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: "alvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Unable to handle Kernel Paging request????
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 01:08:53 +0800

Hi all,

Does anyone know this message means???
"Unable to handle kernel paging request at at virtual address 0001000...."

I've setup a new machine with RH6.1, there are no problem during
installation. But after that, the error message come ot every day and make
my machine crash... What happen???

------------------------------

From: Meir Levi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:16:43 -0800

My CD-RW on the Windows95 PC, is HP CD-RW Plus 8150i, which i recently had
bought.  I use the Adaptec Direct CD Wizard 2.5d to format the CD-RWs.  Since
after format is completed, it displays "now you can read & write onto the CD
like a floppy disk", I thought it is DOS FAT32 compatible.  By the way, my
Linux PC is the Corel Version, and yes the CD-ROM there does read Linux files
which I installed Corel-Linux with it.
( I built a special PC from spare parts to learn the Linux OS, before I make
full commitment in the near future, so I can effort to make mistakes and learn
from them with this system)

Thanks

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:24:40 -0800, Meir Levi
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >I am downloading Linux files (Adobe Reader, etc.) with my Windows 95
> >system onto CD-RW burner, which is FAT32 formatted.
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Just how do you format a burner, exactly?  And if the CDs are using the
> FAT32 filesystem, there's a Big Problem... CDs are supposed to use the
> iso9660 or UDF filesystems!
>
> >This CD does not
> >"mount" on my Linux system, that is, Linux can not read from FAT32 CD.
>
> Hmm.  Are you using some sort of "packet writing" software to put the
> files on the CD?  If so, you might be out of luck.  Packet writing seems
> to use the UDF filesystem format, which isn't supported yet in the stable
> kernels.  http://trylinux.com/projects/udf for info and a patch or three.
> Packet writing seems like a !@#$ing pain, while multi-session writing just
> works.
>
> If this is a CD-RW and you're trying to read it with a CD-ROM, watch
> out... some older CD-ROMs can't read CD-RWs no matter what.
>
> Can you mount and read a regular CD-ROM with your Linux system?  Let's
> rule out that possibility too.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
> There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().
> But only Light too dim for us to see     \
>     ===== Usenet: ceci n'est pas une guerre des flammes =====

--
Meir Levi
Shoreline Commercial Real Estate, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(408) 257-8174 (P)
(408) 257-3998 (F)

------------------------------

From: Lawrence Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ati rage 128 pro
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:04:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Terry Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a Dell XPS T500 system with a card that is identified as an "ATI
: Rage 128 Pro" under windows 98.

: Does anyone know if the "rage 128 pro" card is significantly different
: than the "rage 128"?
: I have been trying to configure this card under linux/xfree86 3.3.6
: which has support for the rage 128 cards but have had no success. The
: XF86_SVGA server goes blank with every configuration I've tried.  The
: XFCom_Rage128 server (from suse) usually just core dumps.

: Terry Kovacs
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We have a Rage 128 Pro which came in a Dell XPS T550 and are experiencing
similar problems with the XFree86 3.3.6 include in the Mandrake 7.0
Distribution!  Tried both XFree86 3.3.6's own SVGA and the RAGE128 they
included from the SUSE Distribution (XFCon).  Todate I have NOT found an
XFree86 Server supporting the Rage 128 Pro and from what have read on the
Web it appears to be a "different/new" Chipset???

--

Lawrence Houston  -  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Angus March <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Plug'n'Pray: 2 identical isa nics
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 02:10:59 -0500

I have 2 3Com Etherlink III 509B cards, which are isa and pnp. They
both default to irq 10 and io_addr 0x300. When Linux starts up it
recognizes one of them and associates it w/eth0. If I put
'append="ether=0,0,eth1"' in lilo.conf it will recognize the other
one, but give it the same default parameters. If I replace 0,0
w/parameters, then it won't assign eth1 as a device. Unfortunately,
isapnp (which I have duly prepared for in /etc/isapnp.conf) configures
the card *after* Linux assigns device names). When I first get the
opportunity, pnpdump -d confirms that the cards were configured as I
wanted them.
        From what I can tell the problem comes down to this, Linux
won't make a device name (eth1) w/a card that it can't communicate w/.
So to make eth1 I'd have to use default parameters that the card has
at the time.  And I can't change the parameters (like io_addr and irq)
until after the name has been assigned. I tried doing something like:
        ifconfig eth1 irq 9 io_addr 0x220 up
but I got a lot of complains that seem tantamount to developmental
cursing. I'm out of ideas.

        Others have brought ideas like the modules, but nothing of
consequence is a module. There is only on meaningful module that would
be relevant (the nic module) and that is compiled into the kernel.
--
        Angus March
          VE2 UFP

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mice for lefties?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:20:23 +0100

Andreas Hoffmann wrote:

> Peter Bismuti wrote:
> >
> > DO these exist?!
> >
> > THanks.
>
> Why? I'm also left handed and I use normal mices. Just grep it with a
> certain angle, so that you can press the left button with the second
> finger of the left hand.
> Normally I preferred symmetric mice, but with the asymmetric Microsoft
> Intellimouse I'm working fine.
> Yeah, this is what Microsoft can do well! They should kick of their OS
> and just make mices!!!
>
> Andreas

Does MS actually makes their mice, or do they only do the
marketing (like they do with e.g. Age of Empires) ?  (Just
me being curious.)

 Sven BOVIN                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 labo kwantumchemie |IJzerenmolenstr 26|
 Celestijnenln 200F |   bus 116        |Wampenberg 88
 B-3001 HEVERLEE    |B-3001 HEVERLEE   |B-2370 ARENDONK
  Belgium           | Belgium          |Belgium
 tel +32(0)16 327380|                  |tel +32(0)14 678310
 fax +32(0)16 327992|                  |fax +32(0)14 678310

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-R/RW & Creative DVD together.
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:47:06 -0800

Hi,
     How can I get Linux to identify and list both CD devices together?
I have a Philips CD-R/RW (secondary EIDE controller as slave), and a
Creative DVD Dxr2 (secondary EIDE controller as primary.)

The kernel is 2.2.13. NO IRQ conflicts.

Thx.

Alex Lam.

------------------------------

From: George Shapovalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.list
Subject: Re: HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 23:46:24 -0700

Well, you can. You just need to have one small partition inside first 8 Gb
(100 MB will suffice) as your /boot where you will keep the kernel. That is
if you want to boot regularly from HDD using lilo. This is limitation of
BIOS, it cannot boot from higher then 1024 cylinder. You can get around
that, but in this case you will be forced to use boot disk. You may set your
BIOS to boot a:,c:,smth in sequence and then boot into NT just regularly and
into linux after you insert floppy (just insert and hit power). You can find
instructions in bootdisk HOWTO probably.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: dual xeon or single athlon?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:58:49 GMT

I would have to say, in my personal experience, that depending upon the
services you render you might not need as much processor as you do
memory bandwidth.  For memory bandwidth you really cannot compare the
current Athlon systems (even the PC133 type) to a 840 setup running
dual RDRAM channels.  Webservers that dont do a lot of CGI or data
processing generally need more memory bandwidth than processor speed, on
the other hand full service hosting usually includes at least some form
of processing (Java isnt used for everything ya know) so you can't
totally discount the processor in the equation.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Janne Himanka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Bryan> and I've had (at home) 2 p2b-d asus systems and a tyan
>     Bryan> tiger 100 - all dual cpu systems.  all lock up after a few
>     Bryan> weeks of seti.  yes, they have heatsink grease and lots of
>     Bryan> fans, good memory, etc, etc.  and my bp6 at work also locks
>     Bryan> up - and since I don't DARE run seti there, the uptime is
>     Bryan> usually 2 months or more.  but it does eventually lockup -
>     Bryan> even under normal workload.
>
>     Bryan> the bx chipset is NOT robust enough for FULL (and I mean
>     Bryan> FULL) cpu saturation for the long-term.  its not.  really.
>
> Really? We have two asus dual systems in rather heavy server use, and
> they don't lock up. Both are running distributed net
> clients (2 threads) all the time.
>
> The only problems were with the older one, when we tried to use the
> adaptec scsi on the mobo; that would crash under heavy load. We
> switched to BusLogic SCSI and haven't had problems since. They only go
> down for software upgrades. The other has 219 days uptime at the
> moment.
>
> However, harking back to the original question, I would choose a fast
> Athlon for home use. In fact, that's exactly what I did.
>
> Janne
> --
> Never trust a man with a blue trench coat + [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> never drive a car when you're dead.       + Learning & Research
Services
>                                           + Oulu University

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Steffen Jost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SoftOSS: Only some channels play
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:15:45 +0100

Hi Rod!

I had nearly the same problem with my Opti mad16 pro (opti 82C929 chipset),
it played midi-files only on one channel, the left one I think, both under
windows and under linux. I tried several things to get it to work, but
nothing helped.
Maybe the chipset is flaky there, and itīs something you have to live
with....

no help for you, of course, but just a little hint.....

Steffen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Whigdon2)
Subject: "already online, hang up first!"
Date: 02 Mar 2000 08:32:38 GMT

I have a US Robotics Sporter modem, and am having the same problem as someother
posters whose posts I've read from Dejanews.  Minicom worked the first
time--after that, I get the message "you are already online, hang up first".

Someone suggested the ISP HOWTO, and it seems informative.   But will I have to
Reinstall RedHat LInux (6.1), before I try again?  Is there a way to "hang up"
the modem???   This is driving me nutz!!!   Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Smc EtherEZ 8416
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:40:53 +0100

I use a 8416 myself and got it to work with the drivers that came with
my distro (SUSE 6.1). You have to use the SMC Ultra driver.
Trying "modprobe smc-ultra" should work, otherwise you have to recompile
your kernel with the SMC Ultra driver enabled.

Greets
Thomas

From: "auc news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: creative sound blaster 512 PCI
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:54:36 +0200

i have a creative sound blaster 512 PCI and i'm having trouble introducing
it to linux...i tried sndconfig but it didn't find it...please help.