From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Plug'n'Pray: 2 identical isa nics
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:03:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Angus March wrote:
> >
> > I have 2 3Com Etherlink III 509B cards, which are isa and pnp. They
> > both default to irq 10 and io_addr 0x300. When Linux starts up it
> > recognizes one of them and associates it w/eth0. If I put
> > 'append="ether=0,0,eth1"' in lilo.conf it will recognize the other
> > one, but give it the same default parameters. If I replace 0,0
> > w/parameters, then it won't assign eth1 as a device. Unfortunately,
> > isapnp (which I have duly prepared for in /etc/isapnp.conf)
configures
> > the card *after* Linux assigns device names). When I first get the
> > opportunity, pnpdump -d confirms that the cards were configured as I
> > wanted them.
> >         From what I can tell the problem comes down to this, Linux
> > won't make a device name (eth1) w/a card that it can't communicate
w/.
> > So to make eth1 I'd have to use default parameters that the card has
> > at the time.  And I can't change the parameters (like io_addr and
irq)
> > until after the name has been assigned. I tried doing something
like:
> >         ifconfig eth1 irq 9 io_addr 0x220 up
> > but I got a lot of complains that seem tantamount to developmental
> > cursing. I'm out of ideas.
> >

> What distribution are you using? Any reasonable init setup would run
isapnp
> before bringing up network interfaces. Or am I missing something here?
>
> --
>
> Vladimir

For what its worth I have a system with 2 3c509b card also. I ended up
using the floppy disk that came with the cards to turn PNP off both the
509's and give them IO/IRQ values that were not used elsewhere on the
system. I then proceeded to skip over having to use pnpdump. Worked for
me. Best of Luck.

-Rob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: J.R. Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:30:06 GMT

Hi--

I previously posted this question but I believe it was to the wrong
audience.  I recently installed a 3Com USR 56K external faxmodem for use
with a dual boot Win98/Linux system.  The modem performs wonderfully under
Windows, maintaining download speeds of better than 5 KB/s for all file
sizes.  However, under Linux, I can only maintain about half of that
speed.  I have read about people having problems with modems under Linux
because of an IRQ conflict.  However, I don't think this is my problem, as
I believe my download speeds would then be abysmal instead of just
disappointing.  The following are common to the use of the modem under both
OSs:  connect speed of 49,333 bps, IRQ 4, and the modem initialization
string.

Here is more information that may help to diagnose the problem:  using the
modem monitor, I noticed that my modem throughput is cyclical.  I will have
a few seconds of download speeds around 6 KB/s, but then the modem stalls
and has to build back up for a couple seconds.  This behavior is repeated,
with constant frequency, for all downloads.  If I download a small file, I
get good speed because the whole thing can transfer during the "fast
phase", but for larger files, I can barely maintain 2.8 KB/s because of the
cyclical behavior of the modem speed.

My questions are this:

1) What could cause the modem throughput to cycle?
2) If 1) is related to the priority placed on the serial port by Linux, is
there a way to tell Linux to pay more attention to it?
3) If 1) is unrelated to port priority, what other suggestions do folks
have?

Thanks,
J.R.

comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.dev.admin
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moun Chau)
Subject: Annual Linux Showcase - Call for Papers
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:31:00 GMT

4th Annual Linux Showcase and Conference, Atlanta
October 10 - 14, 2000
Cobb Galleria
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.linuxshowcase.org

Sponsored by USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association, and the
Atlanta Linux Showcase, in cooperation with Linux International

LINUX ENTHUSIASTS AND PROFESSIONALS: The highlight of this year's Linux
community calendar is undoubtably the Annual Linux Showcase and
Conference.  Now in its fourth year, ALS is specifically designed for
the Linux enthusiast, with an emphasis on high-caliber technical
knowledge. This conference is developed by a volunteer community of
computing professionals and by USENIX, a not-for-profit technical
association respected for its tradition of in-depth technical
conferences.

ALS 2000 promises to be the biggest event in ALS history, expanding its
technical program to include more tutorials, refereed papers, invited
talks, Birds-of-a-Feather sessions, hothouses, and opportunities for
informal discussions with Linux experts, professionals, and vendors. The
conference includes a three-day vendor exhibition in which more than 80
companies will showcase their latest products and services.

We are currently seeking submissions for Technical White Papers,
Works-In-Progress Reports, Talks/Panel Session proposals, and Tutorial
presentation proposals for this event. Suggested topics include
discussions on the development of Linux and Open Source platforms,
applications and tools as well as the implementation, maintenance and
growth of Linux systems in small and large environments. Detailed topic
suggestions and submission guidelines can be found on our website:
http://www.linuxshowcase.org.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submissions due:
        Extreme Linux Workshop: April 17, 2000
        Hack Linux/Use Linux Tracks: May 1, 2000
Notification to authors:
        Extreme Linux Workshop: June 16, 2000
        Hack Linux/Use Linux Tracks: June 30, 2000
Registration material available: July 2000
Editorial revisions due (Extreme Linux Workshop): July 23, 2000
Final papers due (for all tracks/workshops): August 24, 2000

From: "jwp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem config problems - HELP needed!!
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:18:07 -0800

I am trying to compile a modem driver for my HSP 56 Audiomodem (yea I know
they suck . . ) and have run into a problem as soon as I run the make
command.  I get a return that says "ptmodule.c:10: linux/version.h: no such
file or directory".  Does anyone know what this file is supposed to be, or
where it should reside . . .?  I know the driver  works becuase I had it
running on my system before I reloaded it.  I am running Mandrake 7.0, and
went from a "complete" version(where it worked)  to a "deluxe" version -
should be no difference to my mind!! If anyone  can help, or has worked with
the "PCTel.zip" audiomodem driver for linux, I would really appreciate some
assistance.  I cannot get to the NG's very often, so if you could email me
direct ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) it would be great!!

------------------------------

From: "Mary K. Conner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wireless Network
Date: 4 Mar 2000 01:21:29 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:
> >Also is it possible to use a PC with two network cards: 1 wireless, and
> >one wired. and use it as a router between the wireless group and the
> >wired network.
>
> Yes, this is quite feasible.  I have exactly that setup using Proxim
> Symphony cards. I have an old 486/50 running Linux 2.2 that has a modem, a
> wireless card, and a regular ethernet card.  We have some desktop PC's on
> the wired net and a laptop on the wireless one.  I set up the wireless net
> as 192.168.2.0/24 and the wired one as 192.168.1.0/24.  I use diald and IP
> masquerading to hook up to the Internet.  The 486 routes between all the
> networks and also handles our home email and local DNS.  Everything works
> great.

Okay, now I'm pumped.  Here I was looking at having to pop $800 for an
access point, when instead I can stick an $80 card in my Linux server.
Only problem is it already has two NIC's in it (one connects to the DSL
modem, the other to the hub that serves the rest of the LAN).  Anybody
ever stick three NIC's in one machine?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Jordan)
Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows docs (was: Re: Linux sucks)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:25:27 GMT

"Graham Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo a
todos por la internet:

>MS might not port their stuff to linux, but then they port it to MacOS.
>Anyway the way I see it Corel appear to be heading towards developing wine
>so hopefully in a year or two almost all windows apps will run seamlessly on
>linux.

There are two drawbacks to Wine. First, just like the KDE shell, it is
going to run slow. You just can't get all that graphical display
information out fast enough. After all, the reason Windows runs slowly
is not so much the code underneath it, but because of having to
display everything graphically.

There is another reason it will be slow that is even more important --
it is basically translating API calls from a Windows application into
Linux calls. This won't be as noticeable on a simple application like
a word processor, but for something like Photoshop or CorelDRAW it's
going to be painful.

The second problem is the word "seamlessly" above. The first versions
of Wine are not going to include all Windows API's, meaning that some
Windows apps will not run, or some features of programs will fail to
run. And as soon as Wine programmers add functionality to it,
Microsoft will add stuff to the Windows API. After all, Microsoft has
to maintain an edge.

I am also concerned about the stability of Wine. It's an ambitious
project. Hundreds of thousands of lines of code -- getting it all
right is a major challenge.

>(Or is that just wishful thinking on my part and i'll be stuck having to
>have two machines forever)

Not forever, but for quite a while longer. But then, as Linux grows in
market share the number of native apps for it will increase. You won't
need Windows because you won't need Windows apps.

>Also if the proposed Corel-Inprise merger goes ahead then MS will own
>something like 5% of corel, which could be interesting.

I read that Microsoft being the owner of 15% of Inprise was incorrect
and the news source that originally stated it later retracted it. If
you have a factual source we can trust on this issue I would
appreciate confirmation one way or the other. (I have Corel stock.)

The Corel-Inprise merger does bode well for Corel. Corel will have all
the development tools it needs. Essentially Corel is in the same
position with respect to Linux that Microsoft was in at the time
Windows 2.0 was released. Although I disagree with their zeal, there
are a lot in the investment community who see Corel as the next
Microsoft.

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect.
Delete "xnospam" from the username.

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quantum KX Hard Drives and Lilo Problem
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:23:48 GMT

The 'LI' at boot time indicates that the LILO first stage loader has
received control, 'L', and has finished, 'I'.  It is trying to pass
control to the second stage loader at this point, but dies.  This is
usually due to the second stage loader residing above the 1024
cylinder limit on a very large disk.  Your disk (13.6Gb) is big enough
to encounter this problem.

I had the same problem on a Maxtor 27.2Gb disk, and got very tired of
using the boot floppy to boot RedHat 6.0 and, later, 6.1.  So...

There is an update to LILO version 21, called v.21 revision 3.  This
version has just been announced in 'comp.os.linux.announce', but has
been in beta test since 11/99, with no bug reports.  The distribution
includes source, man pages, and updated doc files.  It is available
at:

     ftp://sd.dynhost.com/pub/linux/lilo

as 'lilo-21-3.tar.gz'.  I have compiled it with egcs 2.9+ (gcc with RH
6.0 and later).  Look for the documentation (man pages for LILO and
lilo.conf) on 'lba32' option, or '-L' switch.  Otherwise, it functions
exactly like lilo version 21.  Be advised that your BIOS must support
the post-1998 EDD packet call interface to address the higher
cylinders.

--John Coffman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Kyo-Bang Chung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux smp kernel UNSTABLE?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 10:35:37 +0900

Dear Edward,

Thanks for your valuable message.

Taking a clue from your comment, I restored my CPU clock
to the original, which was overclocked from 550MHz to 616MHz.
Then my program ran well on dual CPU and SMP kernel.

What I use is a Iwill DBD100 (dual) motherboard, two Pentium III (550MHz),
IBM 15GB Hard Disk, Matrox G-200 video, generic LAN card,
CD-ROM, floppy, and nothing else.

The strange thing is that everything except for my Fortran program is OK
on SMP kernel, even a couple of test parallel programs from a compiler
vendor (PGI).
My sources were tested in Win98/DVF5.0 and  I tried three different
compilers and different versions
of Linux SMP kernels.

Of course,  I do not have resources to try more than one dual-motherboard.

Would you advise more about this Linux/SMP stuff, because you seem to have
much more experience
than I do?

Thanks again.

Kyo-Bang Chung

Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>ÀÌ(°¡) ¾Æ·¡ ¸Þ½ÃÁö¸¦
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]¿¡ °Ô½ÃÇÏ¿´½À´Ï´Ù.

------------------------------

From: cll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Advice on PartitionMagic on all-Linux system?
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 14:43:35 +1300

> Can the current version (5.0) resize an ext2fs partition?

Yes

cll

------------------------------

From: "John Doe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem (yes one more of many) problem
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:53:59 -0500

I have the Model 0584-D modem with FCC code 4x2USA-25223-M5-E.  Its a 3Com
56k ISA Faxmodem that is PnP.  Using Linux Mandrake 7.0.  Only thing is that
the darn thing does not have jumpers in order to select specific COM port or
IRQ.  However there are solder holes for COM and IRQ and I soldered a few to
select a custom IRQ/COM but they do not work.  I am perplexed and losing my
sanity.
Please help!

From: Ken McCord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux - MCA Bus Question
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 02:01:20 GMT

Debian 2.1 (2.0.x kernel series) supports MCA out of the box.  I'm
running it now on my Model 77.

Ken McCord

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: not sloooow, but sluggish linux modem
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 02:01:46 GMT

I added         setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_vhi
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local    (com2 port)

cat /proc/interrupts     to check interrupts

Assume you ported the windows modem init commands
into your chat scripts.

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.