From: Robert Dwiggins II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on K7?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:22:34 GMT

==============0EBF797822ACBB258B260EB9

I'm using Linux on an AMD K7 600 mhz.  Motherboard is an Gigabyte 71-X.
Network card is a Linksys LNE100TX, sound card is a SoundBlaster 16 PCI,
and I have 256 megs of RAM.  Right now, I'm having a problem getting
audio CD's to play, but that's likely a software problem.  I also had
problems configuring the network card, but, again, another software
problem.  The major hardware hassle I had was with the memory.  Athlons
are apparently fussy about memory, so I ended up slapping 256 megs of
Crucial EC 133 RAM in there, and that did away with any hardware
problems.  I was also having problems in Win 98 before the memory
upgrade.  Now everything works well in Windows, and we're getting there
on the Linux side.

Cheers,

..robert..

workerbee wrote:

> I want to see some real cases with Linux on K7, and how it performs?
> What is your MB, hd, video card, nic, etc, and was there any problem?
> thanks
> --
> the WorkerBee
> http://www.PriceHive.com Tired of high gas price?  Beat them online!
> Buy books Online?  We compare prices from major online bookstores!

==============0EBF797822ACBB258B260EB9

I'm using Linux on an AMD K7 600 mhz.&nbsp; Motherboard is an Gigabyte
71-X.&nbsp; Network card is a Linksys LNE100TX, sound card is a SoundBlaster
16 PCI, and I have 256 megs of RAM.&nbsp; Right now, I'm having a problem
getting audio CD's to play, but that's likely a software problem.&nbsp;
I also had problems configuring the network card, but, again, another software
problem.&nbsp; The major hardware hassle I had was with the memory.&nbsp;
Athlons are apparently fussy about memory, so I ended up slapping 256 megs
of Crucial EC 133 RAM in there, and that did away with any hardware problems.&nbsp;
I was also having problems in Win 98 before the memory upgrade.&nbsp; Now
everything works well in Windows, and we're getting there on the Linux
side.
I want to see some real cases with
Linux on K7, and how it performs?&nbsp; What is your MB, hd, video card,
nic, etc, and was there any problem? thanks
of high gas price?&nbsp; Beat them online!
bookstores!</blockquote>

==============0EBF797822ACBB258B260EB9==

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:22:40 -0800
From: Warren Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wakeup via NIC

My 3Com 905C NIC has a little cable that connects to the motherboard for
remote wakeup.  Anybody know how to wake a linux box this way?

------------------------------

From: Thomas Laane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying to install RH6.1 on COMPAQ Proliant 4500 fails on NCR
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:37:31 +0100

I have the same problem!
Is there no one in the linux community who has seen this and fixed it?.
Or am I to become a pioneer???

------------------------------

From: "Greg Fortune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128  ??model number CT4750??
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:35:41 -0800

Crude, that's not possible since I don't have the money to go out and buy
ANOTHER card, but much thanks for the response.  I will stop fighting it and
wait for new drivers.

Greg Fortune

Alain le Sage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Greg Fortune wrote:
>
> > Thnxs those who have posted help so far.  I'm still playing with the
IRQ's
> > and no luck but now I'm seriously questioning the chipset.  I took a
> > physical look at the card today and noticed it's not an ES1371 like I
> > expected it to be.  Don't get me wrong, it is an SB PCI 128, but it
looks as
> > if they may have changed their chip set from the ensoniq batch.  The
model
> > listed on the card is CT4750.  Two things strike me as strange...  1.
CT
> > looks a lot like CreaTive implying that they may have changed the chip
set.
> > 2.  I looked on their web site and found some info on the CT4700 which
is
> > listed as a card distinct from the ES1370 and ES1371.  It also makes me
> > wonder that mine is maybe only weeks out of the factory and, as of yet,
has
> > not been encountered by enough users.  Is there anyone with a model
CT4750
> > card in their Linux box that is working?
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > <snip> <snip> ....  Discussion so far has been about unexplained hangs
while
> > trying to get sndconfig to play the test sound file on a Sound Blaster
PCI

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live? need to pick a sound card?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:37:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm putting together a new system. How does the soundblaster live
value
> digital sound card differ from soundblaster 64V PCI sound card? Also
> what about Turtle Beach Montego A3D?

Check out:
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?name=sound

--
LhD Administrator
Linux Hardware Database

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gibabyte -GA-5AX rev 5.2 motherboard
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:42:39 GMT

In article <8atn6d$g8p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Peter Wilkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there anyone out there using the Gigabye GA-%AX motherboard with
Linux ?

If anyone wants to rate it, here it is (with all specs):
http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.cgi?DISP?918

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com 56k Voice Faxmodem PCI (model 5690)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:30:06 GMT

Amit Malik wrote:

> Does this modem work with linux or do I have a winmodem?
> Amit

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000317a.html
This table says it's a Winmodem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: New laptops with WinModem :-(
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:26:52 -0800

In article <Rc6B4.4004$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Rod Smith) wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Goofy root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Thanks again for your reply.  I was just too frustrated with WinModems I
>> couldn't even run in my NT's.  I though heard some Linux folks able to use
>> WinModem with from Linux boxes but not easy to configure than regular modem.
>
> In my case, the software modem in my Compaq 1200-XL106 was easy to
> configure under Mandrake 7.0. I just ran the setup script from the zip
> file I got. That script installed the driver (which griped about a
> mis-matched kernel version but still worked) and set up the device files
> -- /dev/ttyS14, I believe (I'm not typing this from the same computer, so
> I can't check it quickly). I don't recall if the script set up a link from
> /dev/ttyS14 to /dev/modem. The initialization strings I used by default in
> X-ISP seemed to give the modem some fits, but KPPP worked better (I did
> have to remove the volume-setting commands, though).
>
> My main concern with this modem is that the driver doesn't work with the
> 2.3.x development kernels. As the driver is *NOT* open source, that means
> it might be impossible to get working with the 2.4.x kernels when they're
> released, if Lucent loses interest in supporting the thing under Linux.
> With any luck, though, the open source project for developing Lucent
> drivers will have gotten something a little more usable than they've now
> got. (From the descriptions, the open source driver works, but runs as a
> user level program requiring root access, so it's really not a driver at
> this point.)
>
> For more details, check the Linux software modem web site,
> http://www.linmodems.org. I've written up my experiences with the Compaq,
> including its modem, at http://www.rodsbooks.com/presario/.

Another rather interesting success story with the lucent binary module drivers is
with my Latitude Ls and its actiontec modem.  I had perused actiontec's website to
find out what chipset their bundled modem actually had and voila...  I found out it had
the lucent chipset!  My problem if you can call it that is that the included
installation script
does not work whatsoever with Debian.  All one has to do though is force the lucent
module
by using insmod -f and it installs and creates a /dev/ttyS14.  I could probably
rewrite the
script but the approach is pretty simple anyways to get the module loaded.

The Latitude Ls also ships with an integrated 3com 905c tornado ethernet card which
seems
to work quite well.  I am using the default 2.2.14 kernel which is included with the
latest disk
images from debian's ftp site.

All in all, the Latitude Ls is looking pretty sharp.  Nice to travel with, pretty
decent system specs.
--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ABIT BP6 [was: Re: SMP / Adaptec 2940 problems]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:56:40 GMT

> Last I looked this was based on 3 reports. There are plenty of people
> having persistent lockups with this board.

I'm not sure how many, but obviously there are not enough or the people
who are having trouble haven't rated it -- since it still has a high
score that, judging from what you're saying, doesn't tell the whole
story of the BP6 under Linux.
We do try to include whatever resources we find, but it's ultimately
driven by user rating contributions.

> For plenty of crash reports, check:
>
> http://www.bitwizard.nl/cgi-bin/abit

Interesting, what is it? Is this just for the Abit BP6 or do they have
this for other products?

From: "Oliver Burnett-Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Which printer should I buy?  (Epson 460/HP 610C/...)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:17:55 GMT

Actually, I did try hard.  You're just confusing lack of effort with lack of
intelligence...

I've now been to the Printing-HOWTO and found a link to an extremely helpful
database of printers which tells me everything I needed to know.  Thanks for
letting me know where I should have been looking.

- olly.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Micronics W6LI only fit for use as fan heater
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:12:15 GMT

http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.cgi?DISP?483

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66 drivers for Redhat 6.1
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:41:40 GMT

You dont need drivers for that card for RH6.1. It has kernel 2.2.12
which natively supports Promise UDMA 66.

You need to give boot parameters to see the ide interfaces on it.
See the UDMA howto of Linux Documentation Project for more details on
that. But certainly you dont need extra drivers for RH6.1. The problem
though is that you cant enable DMA trasfer (at least not myself!).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Lavender)
Subject: I only see 8 Gigs!
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:00:02 GMT

I have a 20 Gig Hard Drive, and I can only see 8 Gigs! How do I get
it, so I can see all 20?

It's a Maxtor Drive on a Asus P5A MB.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
Sacramento,CA

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to
anyone, but they've always worked for me."
                                -- Hunter S. Thompson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to write/read sector on hd?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:09:04 GMT

Hi,
 I am desperately trying to find a very simple low level function that
writes and reads to any part of the hard drive.
 I have a 2nd, empty, ext2 hard drive mounted to /db/ directory.
 I am using gnu gcc and cannot use functions such as fopen because it is
not efficient enough. I need to use the entire hard disk as one big
 binary; i.e., 50Gb of data.
 I know how to do this in dos by simply calling the bios routine to
write or read at any sector on the hard drive, but I would much rather
stay
 away from dos ;-)
 Currently I am looking into the ll_rw_block() function but I have no
idea if this is the correct or proper function.
 Thanks for the help in advanced!!
 Paul_L

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Date: 19 Mar 2000 14:31:11 -0800

Goofy Root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've looking to buy new laptop, apparently most or all has WinModem
> within, e.g., Toshiba 1625CDT, 1605CDS, Compaq 1200 XL, etc...  I called
> the tech support of the manufacturers they said there's not much market
> for Linux yet.  Now here's my question:  if I install Linux multiboot
> with NT, is it okay to use PCMCIA regular modem to do dial out for Linux
> without device conflict with that darn WinModem?

Yes, it will work just fine.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FS: Comtrol's RocketPort PCI 16 with interface
Date: 19 Mar 2000 17:48:16 EST

Hi,

Comtrol's RocketPort PCI 16 with interface. Ideal for WinNT remote access
service. Works on LINUX too!

See picture at http://www.comtrol.com/sales/specs/rpfoto.htm

Asking $275 plus shipping

If interested, please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Will

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yamaha XG Sound?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:55:35 -0500

Hi.

Does Linux support the Yamaha XG sound chip, as is in some Intel
motherboards?

Thanks.
Mark
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/Samba printer configuration
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:02:39 -0500

We just made this work on our NT/98 network (using Linux as a print
server).

One question: if the jobs are just sitting in the spooler, what is the
status the jobs? Spooling? Printing?...

I'm fishing here a bit since once we got the printer to be visible in
the network neighborhood on our network, the printing just worked.

Mark

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]