From: "Bob Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mouse
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:22:17 GMT

  Hi, kitkitng--  I just had to do it myself.  Use "mouseconfig"
/usr/sbin/mouseconfig

Very easy to do--once you know what to use and where it is.  Seems that many
things are that way with Linux :)

 Hmm--I wonder if penguins bite?  Better read my penguin manual (:-

                            Cheers,     Bob "NetNut" Murray
                                             Vancouver,BC,Canada

------------------------------

From: William Ayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ipaq
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:32:51 GMT

Has anybody heard of anyone putting Linux on an Ipaq?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: STB PCI tv tuner with bttv
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:56:25 GMT

chien-yu chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi!
>
>   I just got a STB PCI that has a TDA9850 stereo decoder.
> the bttv driver found the card perfectly, and detected the TDA9850
> except there is no sound coming out.  seems like the card is in a
> mute state.  any suggestion on this? I am using 2.2.14
> thanks

What program do you use xawtv or something else?

------------------------------

From: Spiral Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what networking hardware should i use?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:53:17 -0600

i am interested in networking the computers in my house and was
wondering what sort of hardware i should use.  i dont want to spend a
whole lot of money, just something to network about five machines
together.  i would like to have a 10/100 network because i may be
transfering some larg files, and i also might want to run games over the
lan.  a friend of mine sugested SMC Etherlink cards and a Linksys hub,
but he doesnt use linux, so i was wondering if this hardware will work
easily in linux, or if there is a better card and hub.  I dont want to
spend more than about $30 for each card.  My main concern is
compatability.

Thanks
Spiral Man

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Painful SiS6326 and XFree86 4.0?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:59:32 GMT

Hi,

It sounds like what I did with my SiS6326. Maybe I should change the
protocal of mouse too. Could you tell us what type is your mouse?
Because the mouse protocol is "Microsoft" for my Logitech serial mouse
under XFree86 3.3.6. It works well. I think probably changing to "PS/2"
won't suit my mouse. So, if you can tell us what type is your mouse,
that will be great.

And also, I got the same thing with that XFree86 -configure. But I
finally got 8bpp worked well with my 1024x768 display. But I could not
startx with 16 bpp and 24bpp. RH6.1 XF86Setup told me that the X should
be 32 bpp but it is impossible. So, did you work out the 16 bpp and the
24 bpp?

Thanks,

Davis

In article <8b65o2$sbb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony R. Bennett) wrote:
> In article <YDYA4.1556$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Shan J. Gill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Thanks, but I had read the README.SiS file, and I had already tried
most of
> >that stuff.
> >The implementation of the card I have (generic / no brand name that I
can
> >determine, tho it is AGP) is weird, and so none of the settings that
were in
> >the file worked to give me more than 8 bpp. And I found a little
nasty
> >when - out of hellish frustration - I called X with 16 bpp and the
process
> >ate my file system. Not sure what happened, or even if that was the
real
> >cause, but I had to completely re-install RH 6.0 after that little
bit of
> >derring-do. e2fsck couldn't get enough back, and since it was
essentially a
> >brand-new install, I just re-did everything. But am not inclined to
try to
> >get a solid repro on that one.
> >

> >Jason Byrne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:48SA4.13412$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> There is some wonderful reading in:
> >>
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.SiS
> >>
> >> In particular... look at the 'Options' available for the card
> >>
> >> btw... I have SiS 620 - not exactly the same... but I'm sure I've
had
> >> similar experiences with it. On *my* system... I can get 24 bpp...
but
> >the
> >> acceleration is best under 16 bpp. Since I don't have a bionic eye
:) -
> >16
> >> bpp is quite adequate for color depth.
> >>
> >> Shan Gill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> Are you saying you had your SiS6326 video working with 24 bpp?
Which
> >> version of Xfree86 were you using to accomplish that?
> >>
> >> Very curious.
> >> Shan

Teleport

--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS6326 & XFree864.0?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:04:48 GMT

Hi,

Thank you very much.

I noticed that you did not use the "no_accel" option in your config
file. So, did you get any glitches from the X server? And also could you
tell me which version of XFree86 are your using, 3.3.6 or 4.0?

I used the same options as yours plus the "no_accel" option with my
XFree86 3.3.6. It worked well except that unacceptable refresh rate with
24 bpp.

This is the reason that I tried XFree86 4.0. But...

Thank you for your help.

Davis
In article <odkB4.54152$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Bob Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Eric---I've got an SiS3626 4M in one of my boxes and just about
went
> crazy getting it to work.
>
> I spent countless hours reconfiguring it and was especially frustrated
> because it is one of the
>
> "supported" chips. Finally found some info on it telling me how to
manually
> edit the XF86Config file.
>
> # Device configured by xf86config:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "kidvid"
> VendorName "SiS"
> BoardName "6326"
> # VideoRam 4096
> Option "no_linear"
> Option "sw_cursor"
> Option "fast_vram"
> dacspeed 90 #Insert clocks line here if appropriate
>
> I left out some options which didn't apply in my case. If you're
> interested in more info, contact me.
>
> You may have a slightly different board than mine, Eric, but give
those
> values a try.
>
> Good Luck--- Bob "NetNut" Murray
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> "Davis Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8b3956$tog$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi, there,
> >
> > Just want to tell you my recent experience with this hopeless card.
> > have tried XFree86 3.3.3, XFree86 3.3.6 and this XFree86 4.0.
> >
> > I let the tar balls of XFree86 4.0 to overwrite my old XF86 3.3.6
> > because I have made back up of it. So, I began my painful ordeal.
> >
> > It turned out that the introduced tool called XFree86 -configure did
> > not work well with my on-board SiS6326 card. It gave me a blank
screen
> > with
> > some meshed background. It was just like the background when GNOME
in
> > RH 6.0 starts. I guess that it was part of a whole Xwindow.
> >
> > So, I turned to the old RH6.0 setup. I used "X configuration" in the
> > setup. But it turned out that it could not test X-window. It told me
> > that "there is a
> > problem with your Xwindow...". So, I have to change again.
> >
> > Finally, I used xf86config. It gave me the Xwindow with the new
Xserver

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Printing with DeskJet PLUS
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:04:58 GMT

Hello!

I have a basic printing question with Linux.  I am running Slackware 7.0
and am trying to set up a DeskJet PLUS.  I have read all the
tutorials/HOWTOs, but they describe how to get lpr working.  I am
wondering how I can get /dev/lp0 to work.

I have read on other postings that you should be able to do "cat
file.txt > /dev/lp0" and it prints something.  I can't even get response
to it.

I did read through the parport howto, and got some response by loading
some of the parport modules, but that is a bit over my head, and was
wondering if someone could help explain some of this to me.  (:

Thanks in advance,
Luke

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Roark)
Subject: Re: what networking hardware should i use?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:14:18 GMT

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:53:17 -0600, Spiral Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i am interested in networking the computers in my house and was
>wondering what sort of hardware i should use....

See:
     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

Cheers,

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Subject: Re: lp.o and TRUST_IRQ
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Crudup)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:22:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says:

>Mar 20 08:42:38 aphrodite kernel: lp0: the printing could be optimized
>using the TRUST_IRQ flag, see the top of linux/drivers/char/lp.c
>Any way I can put this flag into conf.modules?

post-install    lp      tunelp <options to turn on trustirq>

But, have you *verified* this works for you? I wrote a few-liner
to try turning it on (I didn't have "tunelp"):

(usage: <program name> /dev/<printer> 1|0
 Run as root.)
--
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>

... and every printer I've tried (Brother HL-6, Okidata Okiprint 10i,
Epson Stylus Color 440) screws up when there's a lot of output (i.e.,
ghostscript) and TRUSTIRQ is set.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.
Home1: PO Box 914               Silver Spring, MD 20910-0914

------------------------------

From: "Orest M. A. Zarowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:22:32 -0500

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Orest.

------------------------------

From: dbjohnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP & RH 6.1
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:33:10 GMT

Thanks  - I'll give it a try.
I have 2 pp's because of the HP printer - it is the problen not the zip

Dave

------------------------------

From: <Gonzales>
Subject: Anyone know about Sound configuration!
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:28:43 -0600

I have a ESS 1869 pnp sound card that I want to use under Linux. But I do
not know which option to enable when I am configuring the kernel. I looked
around in the documentation and if I missed it well forget I got better
things to do than read. But I did read all about the Sound blaster driver
autoconfig* some of the ESS IRQ's and other things. So if I am write on this
I would like to know for I can then fine tune the card.

------------------------------

From: <Gonzales>
Subject: Re: which modem?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:32:24 -0600

You could use what some Linux hard die fans call real modems opposed to the
winmodem.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:59:52 -0800

just curious... did you happen to find the SiS documentation in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.SiS ?

You haven't mentioned any sources of information... or that you recognize
where the last reply was getting the different options for the card.

I have a SiS 620 card - granted... not *exactly* the same card... but I
*have* seen information posted that leads to horrible video performance...
and is significantly different than the options I feel work best.

I'll send you a copy of my /etc/XF86Config and the output from an X startup.

news:8b6scn$gn6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: chien-yu chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:06:27 -0600

> >   I just got a STB PCI that has a TDA9850 stereo decoder.
> > the bttv driver found the card perfectly, and detected the TDA9850
> > except there is no sound coming out.  seems like the card is in a
> > mute state.  any suggestion on this? I am using 2.2.14
>
> What program do you use xawtv or something else?

yeah. using xawtv.

--
   ~             Experience the power of the Penguin
  'v'        _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:06:25 +0000
From: Chuck Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pcmcia modem

Chris:

I just got a tuxtop and got the Linksys combo ethernet + modem card for it.
Unfortunately it does not function in either RH6.1 as shipped or Mandrake 7
(though Mandrake does detect the card correctly).  Can you direct me where
to learn more about the configuration that may be required?

Thanks.

Chuck Davis