From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Printing with DeskJet PLUS
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:40:23 GMT

No, this didn't work.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  I can't even
get the lpX ports set up.  That's the trouble I'm having.  (:

Thanks,
luke

"David B. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Try typing:
> lpr -Plp0 filename
>
> Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Peter Van Grieken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hercules Mono
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:10:19 +0100

Hi,

did anybody ever try to run linux (and X) on a hercules monochrome monitor?
Maybe you can help me out! How did you do it??? I'm running redhat 6 on a
P133, 16Mb ram, 500Mb HD, hercules mono card and monitor.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS6326 & XFree864.0?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:12:14 GMT

Hi, there,

Thanks.

But is it supposed to be startx 2>filename?

Davis

In article <isGB4.13569$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> startx > some_file
>
> would be a quick way to figure out the version... (start/kill X and
check
> the file)
>
> Bob Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:EuFB4.58526$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi, Davis-- I'm not sure of the version, "X -showconfig" was
supposed
> > give me the info, but I couldn't view it.
> >
> > Tried " | more " and " > file ", but no luck. Ain't Linux fun? :)
> > I think it's XFree86-3.3.3.1 I think I tried the
> >
> > "no_accel" option and it didn't help. I just went thru a short trial
and
> > error process, and was thrilled to get something
> >
> > that worked.
> >
> > Here's a link to some info on the SiS 6326 --
> > http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/jd_diamond_a50.html
> >
> > Hope I've helped--
> > Bob "NetNut" Murray
> >
> > Vancouver,BC,Canada
> >

> > "Davis Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8b6scn$gn6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Thank you very much.
> > >
> > > I noticed that you did not use the "no_accel" option in your
config
> > > file. So, did you get any glitches from the X server? And also
could you
> > > tell me which version of XFree86 are your using, 3.3.6 or 4.0?
> > >
> > > I used the same options as yours plus the "no_accel" option with
my
> > > XFree86 3.3.6. It worked well except that unacceptable refresh
rate with
> > > 24 bpp.
> > >
> > > This is the reason that I tried XFree86 4.0. But...
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help.
> > >
> > > Davis
> > > went

> > > manually

> > > those

> > > screen
GNOME
> > > in

> > > Xserver
> > > 24

> > > where

> > > previous

It
> > > was
But...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Re-Partition NTFS2 drive
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:25:16 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "news1.attglobal.net" <x> writes:
> I wanted to repartition a 12Gb drive (w/ Windows 2000 using NTFS2) to
> install Linux in it.

I think you mean NTFS5.

> Can anyone offer any clues as to what software can be useful without having
> to format the drive and lose the data?

Partition Magic from PowerQuest (http://www.powerquest.com). I think I've
heard W2K also includes some partition-resizing features, but I've never
investigated the matter.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie question: How to install Zip driver
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:29:05 -0500

yong liu wrote:

> I got a NEC internal IDE zip100 Driver(OEM). I was confused by the har

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Deletions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Linux magazine is not my favorite journal but the issue of December 99
had a very good article on installing Zip drives and, in fact, it
inspred me to install mine.

Jim.

--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lukasz Kowalczyk)
Subject: ZIP drive goes nuts on bad disk
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:12:07 +0100

I have a parallel ZIP drive. It works great until you give it a disk
with bad sectors to read. The screen gets flooded with error messages
from kernel (`SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code
= 27010000\nscsidisk I/O error: dev 08:04, sector 917' and so on for
every bad sector) - these can be turned off with SysRq-0. More annoying
thing is that the ZIP's engine keeps spinning and the disk is no longer
recognized as a block device. The only solution is to unplug the ZIP
(ie. switch the power off by pulling out the plug - the on/off/eject
button doesn't work).

The most interesting part is it works right under DOS. Disk error is
reported and I'm offered the standard `Abort, Retry or Fail' choice. If
I choose either Abort or Fail, the ZIP spins down - just like the floppy
drive.

Does anyone know how I can fight with this?

I'm using 2.2.13 kernel with imm module for ZIP. Please don't tell me I
have to use 2.2.14 - it says `unable to handle kernel paging request'
and hangs at random moments.

--
Łukasz Kowalczyk

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Screen Resolution
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:09:38 -0800

"Robert Mazur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:J8NB4.209$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Can a 800x600 monitor be "tricked" into thinking it is 1024x768?
>
> I know that sounds ridiculous, but I installed RH6.1 on a machine that has
> what I swear is a 800x600 max screen, but I'm running at 1024x768.  Is
this
> possible?  Or, do I not know my monitor well enough?  If it is possible, I
> would love to install on my 12.1" 800x600 laptop.  I'm dreaming, huh?

Most reasonably modern monitors can handle this, no problem.  It depends
mostly on how much video RAM you have, and what color depth you're running.
If you raise the resolution, you have to reduce the color depth, and vice
versa.  For example, with 2 MB video, you probably get 24 bit color at
800x600, but only 16 bit at 1024x768.  With 1 MB video, you'd only get 8 bit
at 1024x768.  You may not even realize that the color depth has been
reduced, until a graphics program gives you an error message, or you try to
view photographs.  When you set up X, you often have several different
resolutions and color depths installed, maybe without even realizing it.
You can switch between them:  try ctrl-alt-plus and ctrl-alt-minus (plus and
minus on the number keypad).

Again, depending on the video RAM, you may be able to run your laptop at a
higher resolution.  But do you really want to?  I can barely read Linux text
comfortably on a 17" monitor at 1024x768.  I can't even imagine it on a 12"
laptop screen.  Also, laptop screens work best at a certain "native"
resolution.  If you deviate from this, the quality drops way off.  In fact,
one of my biggest complaints about laptops is that many of the newer, large
screen models have a 1024x768 native resolution, which for me defeats the
purpose of the large screen.

Matt O.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Newbie sound problem on Debian with CMI8738 chip
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Mar 2000 20:23:04 +0000

"Catilina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a CMI8738 soundchip onboard, and I'm using Debian 2.2 (potato). I'm
> trying to get the soundcard to work, but not with very much success :-(
> During install, I specified somewhere to include cmpci, which is the driver
> for this card according to http://www.cmedia.com.tw/edl8738.htm Now i have
> /dev/audio and /dev/sndstat, but when I use gqmpeg, i receive an error
> 'can't open /dev/dsp'
> ls -l /dev/dsp gives: crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14,3 Mar 9 01:39 /dev/dsp

Make sure that you are a member of group audio (or root, although I
recommend doing as little as possible with root privileges).

Also, you may want to list the "contents" of /dev/sndstat and of
/proc/modules, to make sure that the modules are loaded.

It is conceivable, though unlikely, that the driver for that sound
card supports /dev/audio but not /dev/dsp. Be sure to read the
documentation.

------------------------------

From: Jee Hyung Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Event Announcement: Internet Global Summit: Global Distruted
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:47:53 -0500

I want to give every one a heads up about a great conference that's
happening in Japan this July. The Internet Society, one of the oldest
international Internet organizations, is hosting its annual Global
Summit in Yokohama, Japan.  This four day event will cover such pivotal
topics as:

-- Regulation, Policy and Governance
-- E-Commerce and E-business
-- Interactive and Multimedia
-- Mobile Internet and IP Network Appliances
-- Internet Science and Technology
-- Internet Infrastructure and Technologies
-- Third World Expansion
-- Security
-- Domain Names
-- Linux
-- Open Source Movement

Please feel free to forward/post this announcement or pass it around to
your colleagues.

Here are the logistics of the event.

INET  2000
The Internet Global Summit:  Global Distributed Intelligence For
Everyone
The 10th Annual Internet Society Conference
18-21, July 2000
Pacifico Yokohama Conference Center, Yokohama, Japan
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
web: <http://www.isoc.org/inet2000/>

REGISTER AT: http://mc-net.jtbcom.co.jp/inet2000registration/

INET is the premier event in the Internet industry, providing an
international forum for advancing the development and implementation of
Internet networks, technologies, applications, and policies.

The world's Internet leaders meet at INET conferences to exchange
experiences and shape the future of the Internet. INET attendees examine
strategic issues emanating from the Internet's impact on commerce and
finance, education, technologies and societies. INET 2000 presents a
strong technical program with all papers peer reviewed by industry
experts from around the world.

*WHO ATTENDS INET CONFERENCES:*
More than 2,000 decision-makers and networking professionals involved in
extending the use and reach of Internet networks in their organizations
or countries are expected to attend INET 2000. Their roles involve
nearly every aspect of the Internet's development and operations.

*KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:*
- John T. Chambers, President and CEO of Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Dr. Ken-ichi Ohmae, international management consultant and creator of
the framework of the borderless economy.

SUPER PANELS:

Super Panel #1: Open Source Movement
Launched in 1985 by Richard Stallman, (GNU), the free source code
movement has blossomed into a broad front of projects best exemplified
by the stunning success of Linux, the Unix-like kernel launched by Linus
Torvalds in 1991. It is now challenging Microsoft's Windows NT in the
server business and is poised to invade the desktop as well. Some call
Linux the Internet Operating System and this is twice true: it could not
have existed without the Internet and a lot of machines that are making
up the Internet run on Linux. Apache, another free source code software,
powers nearly half of all Internet servers in the world. This round
table Super Panel will discuss how these two communities are rapidly
merging into one that may be the real basis for the new net economy.

Super Panel #2: Next-Generation Internet Research Projects: What's New,
What's Next and What Works?
Late-breaking news from Next-generation Internet projects will be
presented. Panelists will address their current status, next step, and
what has led them to success.

Super Panel #3: The Future of the Internet Layer
As the Internet continues to grow, there are increasing stresses and
strains on some of its foundations, such as the original numeric
addressing space and the underlying assumption of transparent
communications. The expected arrival of millions of wireless devices,
and expansion to new, very populous regions of the world, will maintain
or increase these stresses for several decades to come. The Internet
technical community has been aware of this issue for at least seven
years and has carried out various studies and new developments including
Classless Interdomain Routing, Network Address Translation and IPv6. The
panel will discuss all this and more, and attempt to discern where we
are headed next.

PROGRAM THEMES:
- Internet Infrastructure Technologies
- Internet Science and Technology for the 21st Century
- Mobile Internet and IP Network Appliances
- Interactive, Multimedia, Innovative Contents with Full Demonstrations
- Bio-Medical Issues
- Education
- E-Commerce and E-Business
- Regulation, Policy and
- Governance

iGrid2000: LIVE DEMONSTRATIONS: The potential for using global,
next-generation networks to significantly change the way science is
conducted will be showcased at INET 2000, where researchers from around
the world will collaborate in iGrid2000, sharing computing resources and
data over high-speed networks to solve complex computational programs.

REGISTER AT: http://mc-net.jtbcom.co.jp/inet2000registration/
For more information and the latest updates regarding the summit, visit
http://www.isoc.org/inet2000/

------------------------------

From: "Jarek \"Krusher\" Onuszko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PIXELVIEW PLAYTVpro
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:00:26 GMT

i've got a PIXELVIEW PLAY TVpro. I installed bttv modules and kwintv for
watching, everything works fine apart from SOUND. Could anyone tell me how
to get my kwintv sound working ?

                              Jarek "Krusher" Onuszko
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     www.vwclan.prv.pl
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://q2.kawiarenka.com.pl
                                      UIN: 13305122

------------------------------

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel and IDE-SCSI support problems
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:50:57 GMT

It turns out that the reason my 2.2.14 kernel was not letting
me use my cd-rom drive as SCSI was because I hadn't unchecked
the 'generic PCI IDE' support option. At least it appears that
way. The only thing that I am not sure whether it is normal
out not is that my CD drives are appearing as both SCSI and
IDE in xcdroast.

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/